Everything posted by HossC
-
Monthly Meetings
To be fair, I spend most days banging my head against the wall anyway - you just gave me a better reason .
-
Musical Chairs
So many "Morning" songs to choose from, I think I'll go with this: Lucky me - it's already Sunday morning here (albeit 1am ).
- The Official Dukes of Hazzard Trivia Thread
- The Official Dukes of Hazzard Trivia Thread
-
Dukes not on CMT?
I'm probably guessing nearly as much as you, although I've heard the dialect spoken more. I agree with most of your translation, but I think the fourth line is more likely to be "With few left at home". Apparently "Geate a'vallen to" means gate a-falling or the gate closing. It was the last poem Barnes wrote before he died, and the gate is meant to be a metaphor for death (thanks Google ). If you want to read the whole poem you can see it here.
-
Dukes not on CMT?
That pronunciation immediately reminded me of the accent that Sheldon affects at the end of from The Big Bang Theory.I visited Virginia nearly 30 years ago and I don't remember the accent being particularly difficult to understand. Then again, we do get good variety of American accents on British TV. I do remember being asked to show off my "quaint" English accent while I was there. This thread made me think of the sound of the accent where I was born in England. I went looking for examples and found that I couldn't understand a lot of it myself; in fairness, I did move away from the area when I two. Here's the beginning of a poem by William Barnes - see how y'all get on: In the zunsheen of our zummers Wi’ the hay time now a-come, How busy wer we out a-vield Wi’ vew a-left at hwome, When waggons rumbled out ov yard Red wheeled, wi’ body blue, And back behind ‘em loudly slamm’d The geate a’vallen to. Most British characters in US shows tend to have fairly neutral accents. The only counter-example that springs to mind Daphne Moon's Manchester(ish) accent in Frasier. Maybe US viewer aren't ready to hear regional British voices.
-
Monthly Meetings
At Christmas we stretched it out over a longer period to try to accommodate as many people as possible. Earlier would suit me because 8pm ET is 1am where I live, but that might not suit people on the west coast. As long as it doesn't get later than 8pm ET I'll try to be there .
-
School bomb threats
Looks like the "meet in the middle" idea worked out ok - today we had blue skies and temperatures nearly 20 degrees warmer than yesterday, although still only in the 60s .
-
School bomb threats
The mid Atlantic's pretty cold and wet this time of the year too .
-
Monthly Meetings
Way to sell it MaryAnne .
-
School bomb threats
I'll trade you for the cold, wet, windy weather that we have at the moment .
-
Boss and Rosco got me an A in English
Since when was "mañana" assimilated into the Irish language? In case the American members aren't familiar with A4-sized paper, it's a similar size to "letter". So you got marked on quantity, not quality . Only kidding, well done on your achievement.
-
The Official Dukes of Hazzard Trivia Thread
Roger, out of curiosity I dug out 'The Law and Jesse Duke' because I couldn't remember where the phone number was mentioned. Did you base your last question on the sign at the warehouse where Bo and Luke were taken?: I think the number is actually 555-4309 because it appears to be the same sign that was on the side of Rhuebottom's earlier in the season (I remembered it from the Hazzard Square thread): Incidentally, a little later in 'The Law and Jesse Duke' the boys drive into a removal truck. The sign outside the house is for "Hazzard Realty", and also lists J.D. Hogg as the contact, although this time the number is different. I've enlarged and sharpened it and I think it says 555-2133. Maybe Boss has different numbers for his commercial and residential property businesses.
-
The Dukes are racist??
Just to lighten the tone slightly; thanks for the lesson in vexillology - it would make a great episode of . I think you guys should go back to the Grand Union Flag (aka. Continental Colors, the Congress Flag etc.) - there's something about the canton in that one that I like .
-
Word Association
Crazy (I know, his mother had him tested )
-
The Patrol Cars In Pictures
They're more orange than yellow, but Cooter had them on all of his tow trucks (although only the yellow one had a lightbar):
-
The Patrol Cars In Pictures
They're a lot less varied in the UK and Ireland: Blue: Police, fire, ambulance Green: Doctor Amber: Tow trucks, garbage trucks, wide vehicles, slow vehicles etc.
-
Beta (Proof) Reader Wanted
I know my comment was facetious, but the underlying point is valid. It's not just about spelling; US English and British English also use different words and idioms. While (and I was going to start the sentence with "Whilst", but apparently that's British English) I would be happy to proofread British English, I'm not sure that I'm the right person to proofread US English. Regardless, my offer still stands.
-
Beta (Proof) Reader Wanted
*Did you do well in school? *feedback *proofreader *run-on I fit most of the criteria if you don't get any better offers. Just remember, I speak proper English, not that colonial variation you speak in your parts .
-
Say Hello from Rosco
Hi Jerry, glad to have you along.
-
Mistakes (Bloopers)/Things I've Noticed About The Show
It is very obvious. I've had this screengrab lying around for a while.
-
Mistakes (Bloopers)/Things I've Noticed About The Show
I spotted a couple of errors in 'Farewell, Hazzard' the other day. The first is when Bo goes to check out the field where they saw the helicopter. As he arrives the General is missing its license plate, yet moments later it's back (see inset) even though Bo just walked around the front of the car: Later on the helicopter tries to run them off the road again. The fake helicopter skids in the studio shots have larger black areas on them. Also, that's definitely not Bo driving in the first picture.
-
Musical Chairs
I can't stay away from the '80s for long : The song was written by Tim Rice and ABBA members Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus. It's also great for a .
-
One Word Song Titles
Would you believe that I have five different versions of that song, but not the one you chose!. I'll add a bit more spice to the pot : Vindaloo - Fat Les A great sing-a-long track (although you probably have to be a supporter of the England soccer team ). The song was written by Blur's bassist Alex James and comedian Keith Allen for the 1998 FIFA World Cup. The video, which is a great parody of (it was even filmed on the same street), includes British comedians Paul Kaye, Rowland Rivron and Little Britain's Matt Lucas and David Walliams as well as artist Damian Hirst and Tenpole Tudor vocalist Edward Tudor-Pole.
-
Musical Chairs
"Horse" songs is it?. How about this one from Dublin band The Thrills?: