Everything posted by HossC
-
More Tom and John Concerts 2012
Who knows, if Dukes had been made a few years later we may have had a musical episode like they did with 'Buffy' and 'Scrubs'. I was originally going to go down the road of rewriting a well-known song from a musical, but Duke-ifying it eg. starting with the song 'Trouble' from 'The Music Man': Trouble with a capital "T" And that rhymes with "B" and that stands for Boss! Then I thought it would be fun to try and match existing songs from musicals to Dukes characters. Here's some suggestions to get you started - maybe together we can make 'Dukes: The Musical' : Uncle Jesse (while plowing the back 40) If I Were a Rich Man (Fiddler on the Roof) Boss Food, Glorious Food (Oliver) Enos (about Daisy) Hopelessly Devoted to You (Grease) Bo and Luke Anything You Can Do (Annie Get Your Gun) Daisy (to Bo and Luke) Goin' Courtin' (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers) Emery Potter Get Me to the Church on Time (My Fair Lady) I was a bit stuck for Cooter (I'm sure someone can think of something better), so I went with Can We Fix It? (Bob the Builder) Not strictly a musical, granted, but he was using the phrase "Yes we can" years before Mr Obama!
-
Monthly Meetings
Unlike the old timers who had MySpace online.
-
More Tom and John Concerts 2012
I finally remembered to watch the interview that Brian posted (thanks for the link, Brian). Just over halfway through Tom mentions that he does 'Trouble' from 'The Music Man' as a duet with John. For those of you that don't know, the movie version of 'The Music Man' was filmed in Hazzard Square, aka. Warner Bros' Midwest Street. Here's a screengrab from just before starts; on the left is the River City Bank (Boss's Bank), Jim Griffith's is where the barbers shop was, Ewart Dunlop (Staple and Fancy Groceries) takes the place of the Hazzard Theatre and finally the pool hall that causes all the 'Trouble' would become the pharmacy. The County Building, church and other familiar stores are also visible during the song.
-
Musical Chairs
This track concludes their 1986 album 'Different Light'.
-
Musical Chairs
Hard to believe that this song is 12 years old. Bohemian Like You - The Dandy Warhols I played this song a lot when I first got the album.
-
Monthly Meetings
To be fair, I spend most days banging my head against the wall anyway - you just gave me a better reason .
-
Musical Chairs
So many "Morning" songs to choose from, I think I'll go with this: Lucky me - it's already Sunday morning here (albeit 1am ).
- The Official Dukes of Hazzard Trivia Thread
- The Official Dukes of Hazzard Trivia Thread
-
Dukes not on CMT?
I'm probably guessing nearly as much as you, although I've heard the dialect spoken more. I agree with most of your translation, but I think the fourth line is more likely to be "With few left at home". Apparently "Geate a'vallen to" means gate a-falling or the gate closing. It was the last poem Barnes wrote before he died, and the gate is meant to be a metaphor for death (thanks Google ). If you want to read the whole poem you can see it here.
-
Dukes not on CMT?
That pronunciation immediately reminded me of the accent that Sheldon affects at the end of from The Big Bang Theory.I visited Virginia nearly 30 years ago and I don't remember the accent being particularly difficult to understand. Then again, we do get good variety of American accents on British TV. I do remember being asked to show off my "quaint" English accent while I was there. This thread made me think of the sound of the accent where I was born in England. I went looking for examples and found that I couldn't understand a lot of it myself; in fairness, I did move away from the area when I two. Here's the beginning of a poem by William Barnes - see how y'all get on: In the zunsheen of our zummers Wi’ the hay time now a-come, How busy wer we out a-vield Wi’ vew a-left at hwome, When waggons rumbled out ov yard Red wheeled, wi’ body blue, And back behind ‘em loudly slamm’d The geate a’vallen to. Most British characters in US shows tend to have fairly neutral accents. The only counter-example that springs to mind Daphne Moon's Manchester(ish) accent in Frasier. Maybe US viewer aren't ready to hear regional British voices.
-
Monthly Meetings
At Christmas we stretched it out over a longer period to try to accommodate as many people as possible. Earlier would suit me because 8pm ET is 1am where I live, but that might not suit people on the west coast. As long as it doesn't get later than 8pm ET I'll try to be there .
-
School bomb threats
Looks like the "meet in the middle" idea worked out ok - today we had blue skies and temperatures nearly 20 degrees warmer than yesterday, although still only in the 60s .
-
School bomb threats
The mid Atlantic's pretty cold and wet this time of the year too .
-
Monthly Meetings
Way to sell it MaryAnne .
-
School bomb threats
I'll trade you for the cold, wet, windy weather that we have at the moment .
-
Boss and Rosco got me an A in English
Since when was "mañana" assimilated into the Irish language? In case the American members aren't familiar with A4-sized paper, it's a similar size to "letter". So you got marked on quantity, not quality . Only kidding, well done on your achievement.
-
The Official Dukes of Hazzard Trivia Thread
Roger, out of curiosity I dug out 'The Law and Jesse Duke' because I couldn't remember where the phone number was mentioned. Did you base your last question on the sign at the warehouse where Bo and Luke were taken?: I think the number is actually 555-4309 because it appears to be the same sign that was on the side of Rhuebottom's earlier in the season (I remembered it from the Hazzard Square thread): Incidentally, a little later in 'The Law and Jesse Duke' the boys drive into a removal truck. The sign outside the house is for "Hazzard Realty", and also lists J.D. Hogg as the contact, although this time the number is different. I've enlarged and sharpened it and I think it says 555-2133. Maybe Boss has different numbers for his commercial and residential property businesses.
-
The Dukes are racist??
Just to lighten the tone slightly; thanks for the lesson in vexillology - it would make a great episode of . I think you guys should go back to the Grand Union Flag (aka. Continental Colors, the Congress Flag etc.) - there's something about the canton in that one that I like .
-
Word Association
Crazy (I know, his mother had him tested )
-
The Patrol Cars In Pictures
They're more orange than yellow, but Cooter had them on all of his tow trucks (although only the yellow one had a lightbar):
-
The Patrol Cars In Pictures
They're a lot less varied in the UK and Ireland: Blue: Police, fire, ambulance Green: Doctor Amber: Tow trucks, garbage trucks, wide vehicles, slow vehicles etc.
-
Beta (Proof) Reader Wanted
I know my comment was facetious, but the underlying point is valid. It's not just about spelling; US English and British English also use different words and idioms. While (and I was going to start the sentence with "Whilst", but apparently that's British English) I would be happy to proofread British English, I'm not sure that I'm the right person to proofread US English. Regardless, my offer still stands.
-
Beta (Proof) Reader Wanted
*Did you do well in school? *feedback *proofreader *run-on I fit most of the criteria if you don't get any better offers. Just remember, I speak proper English, not that colonial variation you speak in your parts .
-
Say Hello from Rosco
Hi Jerry, glad to have you along.