The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

Today I got to go on a river cruise with a group that I'm part of. It was nearly two hours each way with a stop-over for a hotel meal in the middle. We were hoping for a brighter day, but a bit of mist and rain on the outward journey didn't dampen our spirits, and the return trip was dry with much better visibility.

2 hours ago, HossC said:

Today I got to go on a river cruise with a group that I'm part of. It was nearly two hours each way with a stop-over for a hotel meal in the middle. We were hoping for a brighter day, but a bit of mist and rain on the outward journey didn't dampen our spirits, and the return trip was dry with much better visibility.

Sounds like fun. Did you see any castles?

20 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Sounds like fun. Did you see any castles?

Yes, but we didn't get to visit them. There's the ruins of a Norman castle which I've read dates from 1170. It's on a private estate and I don't think it's publicly accessible. It's quite close to the river. The other is more recent with a build date of 1895, although it incorporates elements going back to medieval times. It's on a private island, but has been a hotel since the 1980s and is attached to a neighboring golf course.

Already starting to see some leaves start to fall around here. Not many but it is a sign of things to come. And high school football starts in a week. I remember when Dukes was on Friday nights it actually cut into attendance at high school football games. That's because you couldn't record it back then and since it was (and is) the best show ever made, nobody wanted to miss it. 

2 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Already starting to see some leaves start to fall around here. Not many but it is a sign of things to come. And high school football starts in a week. I remember when Dukes was on Friday nights it actually cut into attendance at high school football games. That's because you couldn't record it back then and since it was (and is) the best show ever made, nobody wanted to miss it. 

Yes Gy Waldron States in an interview "In Mississippi and Alabama, on some of the schools, they had to change the Friday night football games to Saturday. Because the kids weren't coming. They were staying home to watch The Dukes." :)

21 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Yes Gy Waldron States in an interview "In Mississippi and Alabama, on some of the schools, they had to change the Friday night football games to Saturday. Because the kids weren't coming. They were staying home to watch The Dukes." :)

My girlfriend knew we would never go out on a date on a Friday night!  I still can't figure out why she left me. The last thing I heard her yell was something about priorities. 

• 2 weeks later...

In a very short while I'll be celebrating my BD ( it's tomorrow but since today is DOHD, I thought I'd go ahead....:) )  HAPPY DOHD everybody !!  

* DOHD- Dukes Of Hazzard Day....a holiday that is celebrated in Hazzard like Thanksgiving day, Labor Day etc.  except this is celebrated every Friday and culminates around 7pm central!!  I'm about to enjoy some adult beverages and put a DVD in a little later after the news and Jeopardy! :) 

DOHD is a celebration of those kind of days when you seemed to be freer and happier. It takes you back to the day and time  when we all were more innocent and less judgmental and where we had a pure enjoyment of life!  I think everyone here can agree, that this alone is a good enough reason to celebrate  Dukes Of Hazzard Day! So to all my fellow Hazzardites.......HAPPY DOHD!!  :) 

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

On 8/30/2024 at 2:06 PM, Hobie Hartkins said:

In a very short while I'll be celebrating my BD ( it's tomorrow but since today is DOHD, I thought I'd go ahead....:) )  HAPPY DOHD everybody !!  

* DOHD- Dukes Of Hazzard Day....a holiday that is celebrated in Hazzard like Thanksgiving day, Labor Day etc.  except this is celebrated every Friday and culminates around 7pm central!!  I'm about to enjoy some adult beverages and put a DVD in a little later after the news and Jeopardy! :) 

DOHD is a celebration of those kind of days when you seemed to be freer and happier. It takes you back to the day and time  when we all were more innocent and less judgmental and where we had a pure enjoyment of life!  I think everyone here can agree, that this alone is a good enough reason to celebrate  Dukes Of Hazzard Day! So to all my fellow Hazzardites.......HAPPY DOHD!!  :) 

I hope you had an amazing birthday!

Tomorrow (Saturday) it's the US vs Great Britian again, just like the old days only bullets won't fly, just a basketball. It is going to be the gold medal game for men's basketball in the Paralympics. My friend Trevon Jenifer plays for the US and has already won 2 gold medals in previous Paralympics. The cool thing is that tomorrow is his birthday. USA! (I'm just happy they aren't playing Urbekistan) 

20 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Tomorrow (Saturday) it's the US vs Great Britian again, just like the old days only bullets won't fly, just a basketball. It is going to be the gold medal game for men's basketball in the Paralympics. My friend Trevon Jenifer plays for the US and has already won 2 gold medals in previous Paralympics. The cool thing is that tomorrow is his birthday. USA! (I'm just happy they aren't playing Urbekistan) 

You need a few more golds to catch us up - Great Britain is currently 11 ahead of the US!

England are playing Ireland at football (soccer) tomorrow in Dublin, so that'll probably more watched over here.

19 hours ago, HossC said:

England are playing Ireland at football (soccer) tomorrow in Dublin, so that'll probably more watched over here.

The NFL Eagles played the Packers last night in Brazil and they wouldn't let the Eagles wear green because that is the color of the local soccer team's biggest rival. The Packers were designated as the visiting team so they could wear green. I bet the locals were happy that the evil green team lost.