NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

Well, I don't know if I should now be considering this as news since it has been talked about most of the season. But they have just made it official. . . Carl Edwards will be driving a fourth car for Joe Gibbs Racing in 2015. He will be sporting the number 19 on his car.

And this hasn't been made official but have read it in a couple different posts n FB. Tony Stewart will be out f the 14 car for Saturday night's race and Jeff Burton will be driving for him.

And this hasn't been made official but have read it in a couple different posts n FB. Tony Stewart will be out f the 14 car for Saturday night's race and Jeff Burton will be driving for him.

Now it is official - Jeff Burton will be driving the #14 car at Bristol this week. The announcement also said that Tony Stewart's plans for the rest of the season have not yet been determined. More info here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all...guess what...

HE'S BACK!

Tony Stewart will be behind the wheel of his 14 car on Sunday night at Atlanta. After missing three races since the horrible accident in a Sprint car three weeks ago, Tony is finally coming back to NASCAR and getting behind the wheel once more. I may be a Jeff Gordon / team Hendrick fan, but I will admit I missed Tony and it just didn't seem right without him out there. I for one am excited to see Tony back...and I'd even be happy if he won Sunday night. LOL.

As for his investigation all I have been reading that it is winding down. I had read last night that word may come out about it last night or this morning, but so far not a word. Also heard that it may be a while before the official word becomes public,

Though personally, I feel like with Tony getting behind the wheel this weekend that he may already know what the final outcome is of the investigation...but then again, I could be wrong. Just a feeling I got when I heard last night that he may be back to racing this weekend and again when that became official.

Either way, I will report whatever they say about the investigation whenever it becomes official...

• 2 weeks later...

There was some good news earlier this week about seven-time F1 world champion Michael Schumacher. After spending about nine months at hospitals in France and Switzerland following a skiing accident last December, he has now returned home to continue his recovery. His manager said in a statement that he had made "progress", but there was "a long and difficult road ahead". No other details were revealed. More info here.

Well, I just read on Facebook that things aren't looking goof Tony Stewart right now. 😢 They have taken their case and evidence who will meet in the near future. 😖

You all probably know where I stand with this so I won't go into it, but will admit this makes me upset. Tony has my full support, is in my thoughts and prayers.

I did also read that Tony will race on Sunday.

The grand jury have just announced that Tony Stewart will not be charged with the death of Kevin Ward Jr. TMZ somehow circulated the outcome over an hour ago, but I thought it best to wait for the official verdict before I posted anything. A toxicology report also revealed that Kevin Ward Jr was under the influence of marijuana at the time. Although there will be no criminal charges, it's still possible that Ward's family could bring a civil suit against Stewart for something like wrongful death.

It's not hard to find news reports of the verdict - I happened to find the one on Yahoo! Sports.

I think if I was the Ward family, I'd just let it go....I mean, here Kevin is with drugs in his system and he's behind the wheel of a race car! That's insane!! Normally, you'd think, " Well, I know I'm high but I can make it to the house before anybody knows or sees..."..........stupid, right?? But behind the wheel of a RACE car??? REAL STUPID!!!

I think I agree, Hobie. The fact that Kevin Ward Jr was under the influence of marijuana at the time would seem to weaken the family's case. I assume Kevin was taking the drug recreationally, because I can't imagine that marijuana has any performance enhancing characteristics which would have benefitted Kevin in the race.

Earlier this week, NASCAR announced big changes to the rules for next year. They are said to improve safety, reduce costs and improve environmental impact. With all eyes on the Tony Stewart case, they may have been overlooked. Here are some of the changes:

Horsepower will be reduced to 725 using a tapered spacer, although this is said to only reduce top speeds by 3 MPH.

The rear spoiler adjustment will be reduced from 8 inches to 6 inches.

The drivers will be able to adjust their own track bars.

Rain tires will be available at Sonoma and Watkins Glen, and the cars will be equipped with wipers, a window defogger and a flashing rear light for these races.

There will be a ban on all private testing, but the teams will still be able to participate in the NASCAR and Goodyear tests. There will no longer be a test at the Daytona International Speedway before the Daytona 500.

NASCAR will also be making alterations to qualifying, the parts approval process and pit road officiating. A more complete list of changes and a video can be found here.

• 3 weeks later...

NASCAR have just announced the penalties for the post-race fracas at Charlotte. Brad Keselowski is being fined $50,000 and Tony Stewart is being fined $25,000. Both drivers are on probation until November 12. Denny Hamlin and Matt Kenseth are not being penalized. The full story can be found here.

Personally, I don't think the penalties are large enough. I'd also have made Brad Keselowski drive a car that's more age-appropriate to his behavior :).

BradKeselowskiCar.jpg~original

Well OK then. This is the third time of trying to write this message...perhaps that means I shouldn't post it. Thanks for the laugh Hoss. That is exactly the car that Keselwoski should be given to drive for the rest of the season. But with the target sign that is bound to be following him, I bet he already feels like he is in one of those cars. I just hope he stays far away from my Hendrick drivers....

The only part of NASCAR's penalties that I agree with is that they didn't penalize Kenseth or Hamlin. I don't condone fighting at all, but with what they were dealt with, I don't blame them for being upset.

Just like I don't blame Stewart for being upset. I understand with all that is going on this year with Stewart, that he probably shouldn't have done what he did. But at the same time, what is he suppose to do? Just let people run into him for little to no reason? I mean, Stewart fnished the race. His car in one piece. Was parked on pit road. When out of no where and with little to no warning, Keselowski runs into him. And for what? And why? It really makes me upset at NASCAR for even thinking of fining Stewart.. He just gave back what was given to him! To me, he was fined for doing NOTHING wrong. At all. Just so wrong.

And then Keselowski...he is just given a little tap on the wrist for what he did. To us fifty thousand dollars is a lot of money, but he probably gets that for every race he races...if not more so. And on probation for four races? You know what NASCAR did...they made it so the very last race of the season, he will NOT be on probation. At all. There is no reason at all for Keselowski's behavoir or for any of what he did! Wrecking cars on pit road...who don't have their HANS on or seatbelted in? Ok Kenseth should still have had them on, but the race was over, he was going to the garage! One doesn't expect to get wrecked going back to the garage AFTER the race is OVER! Not only that, but Keselowski did burn outs in the garage area. He ran over a part and sent it flying across the sidewalk! All along, fans and crew members are walking around. Kesleowski and NASCAR are lucky no one got hurt...or worse! Forget fining him money and probation, I think they should have parked his car for a couple of races...if not the season! If not that, then take away a LARGE chunk of points. Make him think twice before he acts up again..If this was Keselowski's first time of acting up, I'd say fine, whatever. But it isn't his first time. He is known to act up. And yet NASCAR looks away.

NASCAR has always been and always will be inconsistant with their punishments and it makes me upset. Their punishements seem to favor the hot head ones, the drivers who normally act up...they seem to give a light punishment, but for those who don't normally act up? They throw the book at them! For example, back when Dale Jr was driving the 8 car, he won the race, was excited...happy...and he said the "s" word on TV. NASCR fined him 25 points. So I guess in NASCAR's eyes Dale using the S word on TV is worse than what Keselowski did Saturday night that could have seriously hurt people??? That is just an example...I can think of others. But I guess it is what it is. But still...NASCAR needs to rewrite their punishments for each crime and give it accordingly to who does it no matter who it is.

Though, as much as this has upset me, I can't say I am too surprised. Sadly, I had predicted something like this happening at the start of the year when NASCAR made the eliminating format known. NASCAR has pretty much been asking for stuff like this to happen by the Chase format, especially now with the elimination factor. They are know boxing the Chase drivers up and expecting them to fight for ten perfect races...knowing no one can have ten pefect races. There is always going to be some sort of car failure or an accident either their own or someone else's that is bound to happen...and what? Because of a couple races of bad luck, they are eliminated? NASCAR is just adding pressure upon pressure with this format and is having everyone stressed out and acting out...I even heard that JJ had uncharacteristically gotten upset during the race at his crew cheif. Johnson is a pretty laid back and care free guy and now the fact that he is about to be eliminated is adding onto the pressure all drivers have at the start of each race. I am NOT giving Keselowski a reason to do what he did...there is no reason or excuse for what he did. But at the same time, there is a known select few drivers who are hot headed and NASCAR is pretty much asking them to act out when things don't go their way. And why? For the viewers? The attention. If you ask me, if people are tuning into the races to watch a fight and people wreck each other, well they are watching for the wrong reasons.

Then again, if you asked me, I would say that they should get rid of the Chase all together and go back to the old point system where you could have a lot of great races and get the championship. Not get the championship because you had a mediorcre season with a couple of wins. Yes, each driver should be getting into their car to win the race, but shouldn't they already want that to begin with and not because of the fear of being eliminated?

And with Talladega coming up this Sunday...the track that produces all the big accidents...Keselowski has chosen the wrong time to make new enemies. I am not for retaliation, but you can bet Kenseth, Hamlin, and Stewart will be getting into their cars on Sunday, still upset by what happened last Saturday. They don't forget or forgive that quickly. And with NASCAR's lack of a punishment on Keselwoski, they just painted that target sign all that much bigger on Keselwoski. All I have to say is that I really hope Keselwoski is no where near my Hendrick boys or your favorite drivers any time this weekend...or for the rest of the year for that matter.

All of this is MY OPINION and MY OPINION ONLY. I apologize for my rant. But you all know how important NASCAR is to me and how much I love it...so when something like this happens, I tend to get upset and frustrated about it. I will be a NASCAR fan til the day I die...as well as Cubs and Bears. That is just who I am and how I work. But NASCAR has really messed up with how they are handling this. . .and they should be ashamed of themselves. But as I said, once a fan, always a fan.

I will leave saying the same words Jeff Gordon said in his interview after the race...am really glad Gordon (or any one from team Hendrick) was not involved in what happened. ;)

And then Keselowski...he is just given a little tap on the wrist for what he did. To us fifty thousand dollars is a lot of money, but he probably gets that for every race he races...if not more so.

I found a website that said Brad Keselowski earns $10m in wages and winnings, and another $1.4m in sponsorship. At that rate, and ignoring taxes, the fine will take him just over a day and a half to pay off - not much punishment!

And on probation for four races? You know what NASCAR did...they made it so the very last race of the season, he will NOT be on probation. At all. There is no reason at all for Keselowski's behavoir or for any of what he did! Wrecking cars on pit road...who don't have their HANS on or seatbelted in? Ok Kenseth should still have had them on, but the race was over, he was going to the garage! One doesn't expect to get wrecked going back to the garage AFTER the race is OVER! Not only that, but Keselowski did burn outs in the garage area. He ran over a part and sent it flying across the sidewalk! All along, fans and crew members are walking around. Kesleowski and NASCAR are lucky no one got hurt...or worse! Forget fining him money and probation, I think they should have parked his car for a couple of races...if not the season! If not that, then take away a LARGE chunk of points. Make him think twice before he acts up again..If this was Keselowski's first time of acting up, I'd say fine, whatever. But it isn't his first time. He is known to act up. And yet NASCAR looks away.

Formula 1 drivers all have to hold a driving super license to race. This costs them a lot of money (€10,000/$12,800 for the basic license in 2012) , and considerably more if they're successful, as they have to pay thousands extra for each point they score. Just like regular drivers' licenses over here (and in many other countries), they can get penalty points on their license for bad driving etc. If they get 12 points in a year, they get parked for a race. I just don't see NASCAR having the courage to park one of their popular drivers.

NASCAR has always been and always will be inconsistant with their punishments and it makes me upset. Their punishements seem to favor the hot head ones, the drivers who normally act up...they seem to give a light punishment, but for those who don't normally act up? They throw the book at them! For example, back when Dale Jr was driving the 8 car, he won the race, was excited...happy...and he said the "s" word on TV. NASCR fined him 25 points. So I guess in NASCAR's eyes Dale using the S word on TV is worse than what Keselowski did Saturday night that could have seriously hurt people??? That is just an example...I can think of others. But I guess it is what it is. But still...NASCAR needs to rewrite their punishments for each crime and give it accordingly to who does it no matter who it is.

American audiences seem to be a lot more prudish than audiences on this side of the Atlantic when it comes to bad language. A couple of years ago, one of the F1 drivers accidentally said the "f" word during the post-race podium interview. Admittedly, English wasn't his first language, but the broadcaster just followed the usual procedure of apologizing for any offense caused, and that was the end of the matter. In Ireland, I doubt if it would even get mentioned. I certainly don't think that something said in the heat of the moment immediately after an intense sporting event like a NASCAR race needs anything more than a slap on the wrist.

Then again, if you asked me, I would say that they should get rid of the Chase all together and go back to the old point system where you could have a lot of great races and get the championship. Not get the championship because you had a mediorcre season with a couple of wins. Yes, each driver should be getting into their car to win the race, but shouldn't they already want that to begin with and not because of the fear of being eliminated?

I can see why NASCAR would want to keep the excitement going until the last race, but the Chase feels very artificial and quite unfair. Theoretically, a driver could win every race before the Chase and still get knocked out at the end of the second round (I'm guessing the bonus points for wins would carry them through the first round). Formula 1 introduced a gimmick this year where the last race carries double points. Many people opposed the idea, and with three races left, we now have a very close two-horse race for the title, and many are regretting the idea. The idea has already been dropped from next year's plans.

Unlike major US sports, soccer (or football as we call it) includes promotions and relegations at the end of each season where teams move up or down from one division to another. Generally, the bottom three teams move down, but only the top team in the lower division is automatically promoted. The other two places are decided through play-offs between the teams which finished second to fifth. This shows that some end-of-season devices can keep audience interest alive, but I think NASCAR seriously needs to adjust their way of doing it.

And with NASCAR's lack of a punishment on Keselwoski, they just painted that target sign all that much bigger on Keselwoski.

Won't Kyle Larson have something to say about that? Surely it's his car that normally has the target sign on it ;).

Well, it's just over 48 hours since the Charlotte penalties were handed out, so I thought I'd check the online reaction. The people writing the news stories were either in general agreement with NASCAR, or neutral. The comments below the stories weren't. There was definitely a difference of opinion about whether Tony Stewart deserved his punishment, and also about whether Denny Hamlin and Matt Kenseth should've been punished. Brad Keselowski was a different matter, with a huge majority of comments saying that NASCAR had effectively let him off with a slap on the wrist rather than give a meaningful punishment. Suggestions ranged from much larger fines to parking Keselowski for at least one race.

I know NASCAR are probably loving all the publicity this story has generated, but let's not forget that Brad Keselowski would probably be facing serious criminal charges if he'd acted that way outside the track.

• 3 weeks later...

I really didn't know where to put this, so I will put it here. Actually I have a couple of things to bring up, so I guess this is as good as a spot as any to post it at. Perhaps next season, I will have a Nationwide Series thread...oops, I guess next year it will not be the Nationwide Series...it will be Xfinity Series. (Could think of a better name, but then again, I am not handing over the big bucks for them to use the name, so I will not complain. LOL).

But before I go into my Nationwide Series news, I will go over the more sad and disturbing news that had started to circulate yesterday.

The Dover police are now investigating Kurt Busch (the older Busch brother...#41) for domestic assualt over his ex-girlfriend. I guess the incident happened in September, but his ex is just now coming forth with it...something about how she wanted to get through an other issues before doing that. According to his ex-girlfriend, Kurt was verbally abusive as well as physical. Said he wished he could have a gun to shoot himself with, accused her of having spies or spy cameras on him. Of what I read, she said he threw her against the wall of his motorhome and choked her. Of the first article I read, said this happened right after he had a bad race and a few days after they broke up.

Right now, it is a more she said, he said type of thing. According to Kurt's lawyer, she is going going after his money and is having a hard time letting Kurt go. She also had a lawyer go to Kurt for money a ffew days after this happened, but that lawyer has quit since then. Kurt is giving the police his full cooperation in the matter.

Right now, there really isn't enough evidence or enough info to really know what happened. Kurt does have a temper on the track, but to treat his ex in that matter? I really hope not. If this is a fake story to make Kurt look bad and to get money, well she can't stoop much lower than this. I will be honest, I am not a Kurt Busch fan...but do find this hard to believe and really hope this is a bunch of garbage that can be taken out ASAP.

I will let you all know when more info has been known...or if I can find a good article on it. I should have posted this yesterday when they were all over. It just sickens me with all the negative news stories that NASCAR has gotten this year. Some of it, they brought it upon themselves, but not all. Seems like a lot of sad stories has went through NASCAR this season...

On a happier note...

Nationwide Series driver, Chase Elliot has clinched the 2014 Nationwide Series Championship! Chase is Bill Elliot's son (Awesome Bill from Dawsonville!!!) and drives for Dale Earnhardt Jr. This kid is scary good...he is sooo amazing. I have followed him through Facebook through the past few years and he has a lot of talent...as he is showing. He is now the first driver to ever win the Nationwide Series Championship on their FIRST year...as well as the youngest driver to win it (he is only 18 years old)...also the youngest driver to win Rookie of the Year in the Nationwide Series.

Chase Hendrick is and has been the past few years in the Hendrick organization . . .he was slated to take over Jeff Gordon's car whenever he retires. But I have been hearing that he will be taking over the 5 car of Kasey Kahne when Kahne's contract ends at the end of next year. Just read that Hendrick wants him in the Nationwide Series for another year before being moved up full time, which would corrispond with Kahne's contract. (Also Jeff Gordon has a new sponsor that will start next year...3M (they are and have been with Greg Biffle the past few years, but now moving on to the better .... I mean to Jeff Gordon. ;) ) and I guess 3M's contract is for three years. Which gives Gordon at least three more years of driving. Personally I hope it is for another twenty or a hundred yeares..but I will take what I can. :D )

So congrats go out to Chase Elliot on his amazing championship win...he has yet to graduate from high school (will do so in May) and yet has a championship to his name already. But then again, look who his dad is. Who he drives for...which organization he has been in. He is deemed for success.

Now if only Jeff Gordon will go on and win the Sprint Cup championship...my year will be made!!! (Being a die hard Cubs fan and how sad my Bears have been this year and the past couple of years...I do believe I deserve Gordon to win this championsip. I'm just sayin'... ;) )

Anyway, with all that said...there is only 106 more days left til the 2015 season opener at the Daytona 500 race. Not that I am counting or anyting....;)

This will be short...I am on my phone, but found a more detailed article on Kurt Busch to share with you.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/kurt-busch-ex-girlfriend-thought-sprint-cup-series-driver-was-in-distress-110814

I hope that works and I apologize for this being so short as well ad for no review of Sundays race. May be Wednesday before I can get to it. I'm sorry. :(

As for Kurt, I am not a fan of his, but really hope there is no truth in her accusation.

Once again, I am sorry.

I really hope that is all that it is...though did hear that she is a writer in Washington DC so she would have her own money...but some people aren't happy with what they have. There was a congresswoman I think from California who had wrote to NASCAR and to Stewart-Haas saying that Kurt should be sat out for Sunday's race. Which obviously they didn't listen to as Kurt raced on Sunday. Which I am glad. First off, don't know why she is putting her nose in NASCAR's buisness...as if she don't have anything other better to worry about. And secondly, whatever happened to being innocent until proven guilty????!!!! Right now, the police are just INVESTIGATING Kurt Busch. No charges has yet come forth out of this of what I have heard and he has yet gone to court. So why punish him for something he has yet to be proven???! Someone said that is her strong point is violence upon women and so forth...fine, great for her. But her of all people should know that he is innocent until proven guilty. Not guilty until proven innocent. Maybe she needs to be reminded??? Just glad NASCAR has done the right thing. I am sure if he is proved guilty of what he is being charged with, NASCAR will do something or step up with something...then again, I am not sure. A couple of years ago, Travis Kvapil had been accused of about the same thing...but nothing ever came of it. Or at least publicly. Or what I know of and usually if something comes forward, I hear about it.

I will keep you all updated if and when anything comes of this.

It was Democratic Congresswoman Jackie Speier of California who sent a letter to NASCAR and Stewart-Haas Racing demanding that Kurt Busch should be immediately suspended. As Garrett said, "whatever happened to being innocent until proven guilty?". I wonder how quickly Ms Speier would step aside if she was accused of something, but hadn't been charged. This kind of knee-jerk reaction by people who aren't even connected with the incident seems to happen more and more these days. Don't get me wrong, if charges are brought against Kurt Busch, the whole situation changes.

The Kurt Busch article that Garrett originally linked to would seem to suggest that his ex-girlfriend, Patricia Driscoll, isn't after money. Near the end it says "Driscoll, in addition to her job as a defense contractor in Washington, D.C., is head of the Armed Forces Foundation. She has nothing to gain by all of this negative publicity. She is a successful woman, she has her own money, a lovely home, an excellent job."

As for Travis Kvapil, he was arrested for domestic assault in October 2013, and pled guilty (why do so many sports journalists incorrectly use the word "pleaded"?) in January of this year. He was given two years' probation, fined and sentenced to 72 hours of community service. NASCAR, of course, did nothing about it. Personally, I doubt that NASCAR were planning to do anything about Kurt Busch if he gets charged, but recent high-profile cases like that of NFL player Ray Rice may force their hand and make them do the right thing. When an organization thinks that physical confrontations in the pitlane are acceptable, it really isn't much of a surpise that their default reaction is to do nothing.

• 1 month later...

Well y'all I apologize for my absences as of late...I just haven't been on the computer as of late. Instead have been using my tablet...though hopefully I will be picking up a keyboard for it tomorrow, so that will make typing easier. Plus...this NASCAR withdrawal is horrible. I need my NASCAR...37 long more days til the Daytona 500!!!

Anyway, I just read Hoss' last post and don't know why I didn't see it until now. Maybe I am just blind. :( Thank you Hoss for stating what happened to Travis Kvapil. I have been wondering about him ever since this whole Kurt mess thing has started up. I remember reading about what he was accused of, but never read what had happened. Even had asked around and didn't get an answer. At least he admitted to it and is doing his share of the penalty.

As for Kurt Busch...I don't know if any of you have kept up on this story, but it has turned into a crazy story of he said, she said. Though as time goes on, the more I believe Kurt than Patricia (his ex girlfriend). Of what I have read about her, she is a scary sort of person. Her first story was that she was worried about Kurt and went to help him and he got mad and slammed her into the wall. Then I heard that she brought her son in to help Kurt. Then I read where her son didn't believe that Kurt broke up with her and wanted Kurt to tell him and Kurt wouldn't say anything. Though through it all, she keeps saying Kurt needs help and how he is depressed and an alcoholic.

Then there is Kurt's side of the story where he says she is a trained assassin. (Patricia states that it was part of a plot or script she was in...) At first everyone made fun of him. At first I doubted him, but also believed him. Kinda hard to make stuff like that up and expect people to believe him...especial over someone who is only five feet tall. But then a video went viral on youtube about Patricia...I would post it, but it has bad language and other type of language that isn't appropriate for young ears. Of people who work for her and how they view her and the names they have for her behind her back. Of how hard she is. How she likes to party. Likes her guns. . .Patricia Driscoll if you want to look it up. Call her pocket commando or something pocket. I watched it yesterday.

Then there is the Christian counselor that they know and went to that works for NASCAR' ministry section who said that at first Patricia was looking for reconciliation (I assume from Kurt) and then she turned angry and resentful and had stated that she was going to destroy Kurt.

I am not a Kurt Busch fan at all by any means, but am starting to feel for him and what is going on. At first I had doubted him...because he does have a temper. But now...I am starting to think he should be the one with the restraining order against her instead of her on him. Kurt had broken up with her because she was getting in the way of his racing career...which after reading all that, I can see how all that would.

I am interested in hearing what the court has to say about this and how they will find Kurt...never thought I would be on Kurt's side for anything. But I am now. But that is of my opinion...