NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

I have never heard of that program before either. My parents...who has cable as I do not...has ABCSP...don't know if it is the same or not? This has me nervous...LOL

The channel started out in July 1995 as the Outdoor Life Network (OLN). It was relaunched as Versus in September 2006. After Comcast merged its channels with those of NBC, and to reflect the new sports programming, the channel became NBC Sports Network (NBCSN) on January 2, 2012. You can read all about them here.

The channel started out in July 1995 as the Outdoor Life Network (OLN). It was relaunched as Versus in September 2006. After Comcast merged its channels with those of NBC, and to reflect the new sports programming, the channel became NBC Sports Network (NBCSN) on January 2, 2012. You can read all about them here.

Thanks for all the info Hoss but you are lacking the one piece of info I have been searching for the past two days...whether or not I have it. LOL. I don't have cable but my parents do so really don't know all their channels...just the few that I watch from time to time.

Thanks for all the info Hoss but you are lacking the one piece of info I have been searching for the past two days...whether or not I have it. LOL. I don't have cable but my parents do so really don't know all their channels...just the few that I watch from time to time.

I'll pop over to your parents' house at the weekend and have a look ;).

I'm over here now Hoss. I just got bit on my arm by the smaller dog right after I sat down. It doesn't hurt too much and besides, I have another arm. Maybe focusing on how nice my good arm feels will distract me from the pain.

I think the pooch was mad because I wore my Pittsburgh Pirates shirt in there. Garrett didn't mention that the dogs were Cubs fans but I suppose I should have known.

Well I'd better get back to our conversation. They were just talking about how rude it is that people get off topic in pubic forums. I'm afraid to tell them that it doesn't bother me so I'm pretending to agree with them. I'm a little afraid they'll tell that other dog to bite my other arm if I start an argument.

Garrett didn't mention that the dogs were Cubs fans ...

I wasn't aware that dogs followed baseball, although, after watching 'The Big Bang Theory', I knew they liked football:

(Leonard is wearing a huge football jersey)

Leonard: What’s wrong with a football jersey?

Sheldon: Nothing. That, however, appears to be a football cocktail dress.

Leonard: It’s the smallest size they had, except the one for dogs. I can’t believe they had one for dogs.

Sheldon: Oh, yes. Canine football fans are a common sight in Texas. Cats, however, refuse to wear sporting apparel. My sister found that out the hard way.

They were just talking about how rude it is that people get off topic in pubic forums.

I'm not going to judge you on the websites you visit, but it may explain why your computer keeps getting viruses ;).

I wasn't aware that dogs followed baseball, although, after watching 'The Big Bang Theory', I knew they liked football:

(Leonard is wearing a huge football jersey)

Leonard: What’s wrong with a football jersey?

Sheldon: Nothing. That, however, appears to be a football cocktail dress.

Leonard: It’s the smallest size they had, except the one for dogs. I can’t believe they had one for dogs.

Sheldon: Oh, yes. Canine football fans are a common sight in Texas. Cats, however, refuse to wear sporting apparel. My sister found that out the hard way.

I'm not going to judge you on the websites you visit, but it may explain why your computer keeps getting viruses ;).

Oops sorry that Rosco bit you Roger...but what can I say? I trained them good, didn't I? Guess you musta didn't see the Cubs shirt Rosco was wearing, eh? Sorry he bit you...that is naughty on his part, but perhaps next time you should wear a Cubs shirt and a hat...he'd be your best friend.

If you like Rosco's Cubs shirt, you should see Lilly's Bears jersey shirt she has! At least you didn't wear a Steelers shirt in ... you may have had both of em at you. :D

Hope your arm will be OK Roger...am sure it will be just fine in time. Sometimes it takes a little pain to learn what's good... ;)

LOL Hoss...had to laugh at your post. I do have a Cubs dog shirt and a Bears dog jersey shirt. Don't have one for the cat...know she wouldn't have any of it. At least the dogs put up with it. HA!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, y'all, got some sad news for you.

Tony Stewart has had some horrible luck when it comes to sprint car races (not to be confused by the Sprint Series in which is NASCAR's main series that Stewart drives in...) as a few weeks ago he went to pass a young female driver and got caught up in an accident that sent the young driver to the hospital to have surgery on her back. Last week Stewart was in another sprint car race and was in a bad accident...though Stewart seemed to generalize it as an average sprint car accident.

And then last night he was in another sprint car race in Oskaloosa, Iowa and was involved in another accident...this one leading to him being air lifted to the nearest hospital with a broken leg. He will have to have surgery on his leg by the sounds of it.

Tony Stewart accident

Another article on Tony Stewart's accident

Stewart now sits eleventh in points and is struggling to make the Chase that will start after five more races...one of the articles state that he will miss this upcoming Watkins Glen race (would think he would have to miss more...but I don't know) which will only make things worse for Stewart in the points. As we found out with Denny Hamlin when he hurt his back earlier this year, the drivers who don't start the race, don't get the points.

I may not be a big Tony Stewart fan, but I do wish him a well and speedy recovery. Never want to see something like this happen...to anyone.

Tony Stewart had his second surgery to his leg done today to insert a rod into his leg and as of now will be out of the number 14 car indefinitely due to his injury. Italian Max Papis will be driving Stewart's car this weekend at Watkins Glen...but no word on who will drive it afterward. (If it were me, I'd put Elliot Sadler behind the 14 wheel while Tony is recovering. Elliot use to drive in the Cup Series until he ran out of contract and didn't have a ride and went back to the Nationwide to work on his skills. He was runner up to the championship in Nationwide last year and has won several races in Nationwide. Would be great to see him in a great ride like Tony's and show up his skill. Perhaps earn a good ride next year in Cup...but of course, no one has asked me. YET! LOL)

Tony Stewart has his second surgery on his leg - out indefinitely

I may be a Jeff Gordon fan...a Hendrick team fan. (Though Tony Stewart and his team does have affiliation with the Hendrick team as they carry the Hendrick engine in all three of their cars. So perhaps he is an extended team mate of Gordon's. LOL) But I really hate this for Smoke...Tony is a race car driver through and through. This has got to be eating him up knowing he can't race this weekend or the next or for however long he is out. And watching the race, well, it won't be the same without Stewart behind the wheel of the 14 car. Tony is currently eleventh in points and holds a wild card slot for the chase with his win he had earlier this year. All that will go away now that he will be missing races and his hopes for the chase has now vanished. I had seen a video of his wreck and it was horrifying...rolled it five times. As horrible as this is for Tony with breaking his leg in two different places, two different surgeries, still in the hospital, and out of several races...well, he is lucky to still be alive. Especially after a sprint series driver died this past weekend in an accident. Those cars don't look safe at all and with all these accidents happening, they don't sound very safe either.

Though I did read somewhere yesterday that Stewart saved someone's life in the accident. I guess his car was going towards the pits or was falling towards the pits and would have landed on someone in the pits...and probably would have killed him. Stewart took his car the other way and then wrecked. So if that is the case, Tony is somewhat a hero who is now paying the price

I am praying and wishing Tony Stewart and speedy and well recovery and can't wait to see him back on track SOON!

Italian Max Papis will be driving Stewart's car this weekend at Watkins Glen...

Now there's a name I remember. Max raced in F1, but I hadn't realized it was as far back as 1995 until I checked his Wikipedia page. He only competed in seven races, but brought money via sponsorship to the team - I wonder whether he still does.

After his time in F1, he left for the USA, and has since competed in CART, IndyCar, Indy 500, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, NASCAR Nationwide Series, and NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. He's also competed seven times in the Le Mans 24 Hour race in France, picking up two second places and three third places.

Garrett, I can understand why you'd want to see other drivers in Tony's car, but Max seems to have a reasonable racing pedigree.

Now there's a name I remember. Max raced in F1, but I hadn't realized it was as far back as 1995 until I checked his Wikipedia page. He only competed in seven races, but brought money via sponsorship to the team - I wonder whether he still does.

After his time in F1, he left for the USA, and has since competed in CART, IndyCar, Indy 500, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, NASCAR Nationwide Series, and NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. He's also competed seven times in the Le Mans 24 Hour race in France, picking up two second places and three third places.

Garrett, I can understand why you'd want to see other drivers in Tony's car, but Max seems to have a reasonable racing pedigree.

Hoss...I do believe you misinterpreted what I said or meant about Elliot Sadler driving in Tony's car. I do like Max Papis...got a kick out of him a month ago in the Nationwide Series Race where this other driver (can't remember who) got mad at another driver who ended up winning the race. The driver that got mad then took it out on Max Papis (which irritated me. Why take it out on another driver that has nothing to do with what happened? If I remember right, the driver he was mad at, really didn't even do anything to him...could be wrong. I don't watch the Nationwide Series races as I wish I could. I just saw this in a highlight) and spun Max out on the last lap or around the last lap. The driver that was mad was getting interviewed by one of the pit road reporters when Max walked up and in between the interviewer and the driver and patted the driver on the face with is palm...didn't slap or hit him, but his patted him on the face to let him know he was upset and yet had the restraint to control himself and his emotions.

I do like Max Papis and do believe he is an PERFECT fit for Stewart's car this upcoming race at Watkins Glen. Max Papis normally shows up for the road races anyway in an unfunded team and now he will be in a well funded car with great equipment under him. Will be great to see what Max can do in Tony's car.

But what I was referring to is the fact that no one as of yet has been named to Tony's car after this upcoming race. Yeah it would be good to see Max in it again and maybe if he does well this weekend he will be in it. I don't know. No one has said who will be in his car after this weekend. Personally I can't see them using Max on an oval track but then again, maybe they will. Just sayin' if they do use another driver it would be nice to see Elliot Sadler to get another shot at a Cup race and in a well funded car.

Trust me, I am not trying to cut down Max's pedigree of racing or any of the sorts. I knew of Max Papis before any of this has happened. Watched him several NASCAR races. I am not saying he isn't qualified nor undeserving of it. I am sure he will do a good job for Smoke...just sayin' it would be nice for someone to give Sadler a shot. Had said that when Hamlin got hurt towards the beginning of the season. And yet for some reason, Hamlin didn't listen to me. LOL.

And of course the whole Elliot Sadler thing is only my OPINION and I do have to say, Elliot is my favorite Nationwide Series driver, so perhaps my opinion is biased. And since you mentioned you looked up Max Papis...well here is Elliott_Sadler's stats. ;)

It looks like Max Papis is more suited to road courses, and it will be interesting to see how he does in a good car. I wasn't trying to start an arguement, I just wasn't sure if you were aware of Max's racing history. I hope Elliott Sadler gets a go in Tony's car too.

It looks like Max Papis is more suited to road courses, and it will be interesting to see how he does in a good car. I wasn't trying to start an arguement, I just wasn't sure if you were aware of Max's racing history. I hope Elliott Sadler gets a go in Tony's car too.

Hoss - I am sorry if you felt like I was arguing with you. That wasn't my purpose. If you think Max is more qualified than Elliot, that is perfectly fine. I knew Max raced in other series but perhaps not the full extent of his back ground. Like I said, I like Max and if he is the one in Tony's car until Tony's return, I would be happy for him. I was happy when I heard he was taking his seat this week...I was just trying to tell you where I was coming from with Elliot Sadler.

Someone said on Facebook that a Nationwide Series driver would not take Tony's ride on the 18th when the Cup Series will be in Michigan. I guess Nationwide doesn't race there so may have to go to another series that does drive there.

Either way or whoever takes Tony's ride while he recovers from his injuries, I will keep you updated. All Hendrick drivers will have a sticker on their cars wishing Tony a fast recovery.

Well I have another update on Tony Stewart. First off...he is still in the hospital after his accident on Monday night in Iowa that had broke his leg in two different places and had him go through two different surgeries. Still no word on when he will be getting out.

And well, Hoss, it is starting to look as if we both won't get what we want...LOL.

So far, this is only a RUMOR, and no real fact about it, and I will let you know when it does become an actual fact. But for now it is RUMORED that Nationwide driver...who drives for Dale Earnhardt Jr. . . . Ragen Smith will be filling in for Tony Stewart in the 14 car AFTER the Michigan race next weekend. (I think I read somewhere that Tony and team doesn't want a Nationwide driver driving for Tony at Michigan since Nationwide doesn't race at Michigan.)

Greg Zippidelli...Tony's former crew chief who works within Tony's team...said they are working on finding a driver to take Tony's place while he is out of the car and want to find the driver by the end of the weekend.

And since I had given y'all my opinion on Elliot Sadler or who I wanted to see take Tony's place while he was out, I will give you another opinion...no matter how wrong it is. I must admit, Ragen Smith would be a great choice to drive the 14 car of Stewart's too. Didn't even think of him. He currently sits second in points in the Nationwide Series and had experience in the Cup Series. As has Max Papis. So I do believe I will keep my opinions to myself. Tony and Greg seem to know what they are doing in finding another driver while Tony is out...

But I do have to say that WHOEVER it is that takes over for Tony while he is out hurt, he has some big shoes to fill. Hope Max will take that 14 car from the back towards the front (behind my Hendrick drivers of course ;) ).

As I said, so far the whole thing on Ragen Smith taking the ride is only RUMORED. Will let you know when it becomes fact or who they will officially pick when it becomes known to the public.

(On a side note...thanks Hoss for placing the qualifying order in the other thread. Had a day long seminar for work to go to today. UGH. Glad that is over and now can watch the race tomorrow...we get to turn right and left tomorrow! :) Thanks for covering.)

Well y'all they have finally announced who will be driving for Tony Stewart this upcoming race at Michigan...they had said his name yesterday, but it was only rumored, so I wanted to wait to see it official before posting it this time. Seeing how it is NOT Ragen Smith as I had said it was...

Richard Childress (RCR - team owner of Richard Childress Racing) grandson Austin Dillon will be driving the 14 car at Michigan. Richard has two grandsons who are in the Nationwide Series...Austin and Ty. I believe it is Austin who will be moving to the Cup Series next year...in what is rumored to be the number three car. If Richard goes through with it and it isn't all talk and rumor...Austin will be the first driver to drive the number three car since Dale Sr died in 2001. Richard Childress owns the number three in the Spint Cup...Dale Sr use to drive for him before having his own team. But as I said the whole number three deal so far is only talk, will let you know if there is more to it.

Also for more NASCAR news (as Rosco would say, I love it, I love it!) Brian Vickers will be driving FULL time for Michael Waltrip Racing with the Aaron's sponsor car. The past couple of years he has been forced to drive part time, sharing a ride with Mark Martin. Of the article I read, said that Martin has said he will not be returning to the team next year...though it has yet to be made official. Someone from MWR put out to the media that they had a big announcement that they would make on Tuesday...

See where I stand in NASCAR? I know stuff before the media! :D Just forget the fact that I read about this in an article online that a friend of mine posted on Facebook...LOL. :roll:Brian Vickers MAY be racing full time next year

So I guess we will see tomorrow to see if that turns OFFICIAL...will let you know...but I am thinking it is real due to the fact that there has been talk about it. Just nothing concrete until what seems to be now...

I have nothing against Mark Martin and I hope him the best with his future whether he finds another ride for next year or if this his slow step back into retirement (that he said he was going to do years ago when Rusty Wallace retired...). But I am super excited to see that Brian Vickers has finally found a full time ride for next year!

Also, I just read another article on Tony Stewart where Tony Stewart MAY be sitting out the rest of the 2013 season. I guess Stewart-Hass Racing competition director, Greg Zipadelli (use to be Tony's crew chief when he was racing the 20 Joe Gibbs car) and team are talking to Tony and they will come out on Wednesday with word on if Tony will return and who will be driving the 14 car at that time...if NOT Tony.

As always, will keep you updated. :D

Edited by Garrett Duke

Well the deal has been made :). Brian Vickers now has a two year contract with Michael Waltrip Racing...starting next season.

Also...

I have heard on Facebook, that Juan Pablo Montoya will not be returning to Chip Ganassi Racing next season...

Ah the irony of it...one deal seals while another one opens. Will keep you updated if I hear any more on where Juan may land for next year or who will be taking his ride in 2014.

Well I got some more Tony Stewart news and as a big NASCAR fan, this has hit me harder than what I thought it would...

Tony Stewart will be out for the rest of the 2013 season due to breaking his leg in a sprint car accident in Iowa two weeks ago where he broke both his tibia and fibula...and had a metal rod surgically implanted into his leg. Mark Martin will be his full time replacement with the exception of the October Talladega race where Austin Dillon will substitute.

Tony Stewart will be back for the 2014 season.

This has all been confirmed by Stewart-Haas (or according to Hoss...Stewart-Hoss) Racing.

I have never been a big Stewart fan but have had more of a fan the past couple of seasons now that he hasn't been as aggressive as he had been in the past and due to the fact that he does use Hendrick engines...but still, to see Tony Stewart sit out the rest of the season is HUGE. . .and sad to see. Though I have to admit I do think it is for the better for him personally to sit out and allow for his leg to heal properly and come back in full form next season. Smart choice on Tony's part, but still sad to see. Hope he will heal quick and well.

Oh and while I am here...it is always RUMORED (haven't heard for sure as of yet) but have heard that Kurt Busch has been offered a ride at Stewart-Haas Racing for a fourth car in 2014. IF this is true and IF Kurt accepts (which I don't know why he wouldn't accept it...if it is true) it will make for a race team full of aggressive drivers. Stewart, Harvick (who will be joining next season), and Kurt Busch are known as aggressive drivers and then there would be Danica Patrick who has had her share of being aggressive (though am not sure if I would rank her as aggressive as Stewart, Harvick, or Kurt Busch.) As I said, the whole Kurt Busch thing so far is only rumored and I will let you know if and when it becomes more official...

As for those Kurt Busch rumors ;) they seem like they weren't much rumor to them after all. Kurt Busch has just told ESPN that he has already signed the deal to race for Stewart-Haas Racing next season. Stewart - Haas Racing will look like this in 2014: Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick, Kurt Busch, and Danica Patrick.

And for more NASCAR rumors...LOL....

It is looking like ESPN and TNT are wanting to end their contract with NASCAR a year early (remember they are leaving at the end of next year's season. As of now...) but they are wanting to pull out after this season. Leaving FOX and NBC the only NASCAR coverage. Looks like NBC would have to OK it first before they would be able to drop it.

As always, will keep you updated when I learn something more official. :D

Well I had a feeling that Martin Truex Jr. had gotten hurt in that horrible accident he was involved in last Saturday night at Bristol where Denny Hamlin got a flat and took out several Chase contender cars. The camera showed Martin Truex Jr (who seemed to get the hardest hit) when he hit the wall and afterwards he was holding his hand. He went back to the care center as is expected of drivers in wrecks and then the pit reporter had talked to him and asked him if he was OK. Martin had said he weas fine, just frustrated with the accident with the points and all that.

Had me a little relieved but skeptical just on how he was holding his hand after the accident.

And sadly my feeling was correct. They just came back that an MRI has shown Truex Jr has a fractured and sprained right wrist...will be racing with a special cast and is Ok to race this Sunday NIGHT. (YAY another night race! Sorry Hoss, know they are late for you...)

Also, Chip Ganassi will make an official announcement on Friday as to who will be replacing Juan Pablo Montoya in the 42 car next season...though it is already rumored that it is going to be Ganassi's rookie Nationwide driver, Kyle Larson, who is 21 years old.

But like I said earlier today...will keep you posted when all of that comes official Friday. :)

Thanks as always for all the updates Garrett.

I don't follow NASCAR that much but I always read all your posts and thanks to you I'm a smarter person whenever the subject of NASCAR comes up. Your info comes in handy in conversations since I have a few friends here in Pennsylvania who are crazy about racing.