NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

NASCAR held their meeting with the drivers to discuss what is OK and what isn't OK when it comes to team orders and what not...thanks to Clint Bowyer's intentional spin at Richmond last Saturday night as well as Penske's deal with Front Row Racing for Gilliland to allow Logano to pass him to give Logano that extra point into the Chase. Here is some of what I am reading...

*Drivers are to give the race a hundred percent of their ability

*Changing the way the race is played out in any way will be punishable by NASCAR (Such as Bowyer's intentional spin to help Truex Jr into the Chase.)

*Drivers are now only allowed to have on spotter.

*The Spotter stand will now have a camera that NASCAR can watch spotter activity.

* Only two analog radios will be issued to spotter, none digital.

*Further changes will come forth on restarts...do think I read that they will come out with it tomorrow at Chicagoland.

I got most of this info through Twitter and from NASCAR reporters that I follow on Twitter, but here is an article from NASCAR.com that holds most of what they are saying:

Change in NASCAR Rules

Know Gordon was looking forward to this meeting and getting things addressed and hoping that they have done that today. I have followed NASCAR for over fifteen years now and never see anything like this...and do believe Jeff Gordon had said the same thing - that he never saw any thing like this in his twenty years as a Sprint Cup driver. Sad that certain drivers and teams have put NASCAR in this corner where they are forced to try to right a wrong...where no matter what they do, negative criticism will be given to them. No way you can go and undo what has been done, but do believe NASCAR has done the right thing for everyone affected...though still feel bad for Martin Truex Jr who was taken out of the Chase to put Ryan Newman in. Am really hoping that everyone can learn from Richmond and move forward...that this is the END of this ugly mess that Bowyer, Michael Waltrip, Penske, and Front Row Racing has created in order to help themselves and their teammates.

Apart from not punishing Bowyer, I think NASCAR have actually done a reasonable job with this situation (and with the Mike Skeen's girlfriend incident).

*Changing the way the race is played out in any way will be punishable by NASCAR (Such as Bowyer's intentional spin to help Truex Jr into the Chase.)

So, can you not let your team mate past to get a point for leading? Deliberately making contact with another car also comes under this heading. In the long run, I think NASCAR will find this rule very difficult to enforce. Team orders were banned for years in F1, but the subject was put back on the table when Felipe Massa had to let Fernando Alonso (his Ferrari team mate) past even though he only got the radio message "Fernando is faster than you". Team orders are now permitted, and all radio communications are monitored by F1.

*Drivers are to give the race a hundred percent of their ability

Someone on NASCAR.com just asked how this rule will affect the teams that turn-up and only do about five laps each week.

Apart from not punishing Bowyer, I think NASCAR have actually done a reasonable job with this situation (and with the Mike Skeen's girlfriend incident).

So, can you not let your team mate past to get a point for leading? Deliberately making contact with another car also comes under this heading. In the long run, I think NASCAR will find this rule very difficult to enforce. Team orders were banned for years in F1, but the subject was put back on the table when Felipe Massa had to let Fernando Alonso (his Ferrari team mate) past even though he only got the radio message "Fernando is faster than you". Team orders are now permitted, and all radio communications are monitored by F1.

Someone on NASCAR.com just asked how this rule will affect the teams that turn-up and only do about five laps each week.

Well first off Hoss...sorry to say but I have seen several of your post comparing NASCAR to F1...and sorry to break it to you, but NASCAR is not F1. ;)

As for your question one of the reporters I follow on Twitter was asked the same thing and he said that start and park cars are OK because they go as far as the money allows them to go. Personally I find them more of an annoyance and wish they would go away with them completely. Understand that they are out there for those five laps looking for a sponsor, but how can you prove yourself enough to gain an extra sponsor when you are out there for five or fifteen laps?

As for if helping a driver lead for a lap for a point or pushing him...am unsure at the moment.

Another article on the meeting

This has got to be one of the craziest seasons of NASCAR that I can remember...with all that has happened with the Chase. And with how many people are changing teams and leaving their team.

With all that had happened last week, I had failed to report that Jeff Burton is leaving RCR (Richard Childress Racing) and that Ryan Newman will be racing the 31 car next year. (Sorry if I reported this already...wasn't sure if I did or not.)

The latest is...Juan Pablo Montoya is leaving NASCAR completely and will be driving for Penske in the Indy car series.. for car number 2 in 2014.

There is a lot of people moving around next year...am glad my team Hendrick will remain the same next year. :)

this has got to be one of the craziest seasons of nascar that i can remember...with all that has happened with the chase. And with how many people are changing teams and leaving their team.

With all that had happened last week, i had failed to report that jeff burton is leaving rcr (richard childress racing) and that ryan newman will be racing the 31 car next year. (sorry if i reported this already...wasn't sure if i did or not.)

the latest is...juan pablo montoya is leaving nascar completely and will be driving for penske in the indy car series.. For car number 2 in 2014.

There is a lot of people moving around next year...am glad my team hendrick will remain the same next year. :)

happy thirty-eightth birthday to ol' five time...jimmie johnson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I think with all the news that has come forth this season, I think I have enough of it to write a book. ;) Definitely not complaining...I love it. Well as long as it is all positive news about my drivers and no one getting hurt.

Well it looks like NAPA has pulled their sponsorship from Michael Waltrip Racing...December 31, 2013 will be the official end of NAPA's full sponsorship of MWR driver Martin Truex Jr. “NAPA believes in fair play and does not condone actions such as those that led to the penalties assessed by NASCAR,†NAPA wrote on Facebook. “We remain supportive of the millions of NASCAR fans and will evaluate our future position in motorsports.†( NAPA Leaving MWR at the end of the Year)

Michael Waltrip did make a statement about NAPA leaving...NAPA has been with Michael a long time. Be odd to see NAPA not associated with Michael Waltrip. He also did say a partial apology...I say partial because he apologized to the fans and not to the drivers that his actions had caused unnecessary drama for. Here is his statement: Michael Waltrip's NAPA Statement

Here is another article that has more background info as well as what happened. MWR losing NAPA KNOW HOW/

Hmmm I wonder if by now Michael Waltrip is regretting his choice to manipulate the Chase/points as he did at Richmond...sad thing is though the innocent are the ones affected by it. I say that because as far as I know Martin Truex Jr. is the innocent party in this deal...him and Brian Vickers. And yet they both were thrown under the bus, so to speak, by Bowyer and Michael Waltrip in their conquest to manipulate the Chase/points as they did at Richmond. Sure the whole reason for Bowyer's spin was to get Truex Jr. in the Chase, but Truex Jr had no clue it was even happening. According to Truex Jr. he didn't even know he had a chance to get in the Chase. Truex Jr. left Richmond excited that he had made the Chase...only for a day or so later for NASCAR to pull him out of the Chase and put Ryan Newman in his spot.

So now all because of Bowyer and Michael Waltrip, he was in the Chase...and then pulled out of the Chase. And now because of them, Truex Jr is losing his main sponsor.

I would love to have a chance to ask Michael Waltrip and Clint Bowyer...if it was all worth it. But then again, don't know if I would believe their answer or not by now anyway. I feel bad for Martin Truex Jr. for being caught up in all of this. He is one of the good guys and don't deserve to be put in the middle the way he has been thanks to his boss and teammate...would like to hear his opinion towards them right now as well... I do however applaud NAPA for standing up for what they believe in and believing in doing the right thing.

If you have time...it is a lengthy read, but Kelley Earnhardt (Dale Jr's sister) posted this blog about the subject on Facebook and I just got done reading it. (Dang...would love to be able to write a NASCAR blog! LOL. ) Anyway, it is a very good read and I agree with what he has to say about the whole deal...he is right on with everything. Here is his blog:

NASCAR BLOG

I know this whole ordeal caused a lot of drama for Jeff Gordon as he was the one that these actions affected...or as NASCAR put it, Gordon was the ripple effect of their actions. And trust me, this 24 fan was one upset fan after the Richmond race...but even if Gordon wasn't affected by MWR manipulating the Richmond race, I'd still be upset. For one...it is just wrong to cheat your way into the Chase or into anything. Second of all it was a very selfish act on MWR and Bowyer's part. And third, I did like and respect Michael Waltrip and was very disappointed to hear all this coming from him.

Have to admit...I found it sad that NASCAR had to pull the drivers into a special meeting to tell them to race with everything they had, to give the race a hundred percent. Shouldn't that be just common sense? Understand helping a teammate out to a limit...give him a lap for an extra point here and there, let them borrow or use their set up, but not to change the outcome of the race.

I don't know about you...but I hope we can all learn from this and move forward without any more retaliation or drawback from the Richmond race. But does make you wonder about MWR other two sponsors who also had made statements of not being happy with what they did and were investigating it...time will tell.

Very well written post Garrett.

I couldn't agree more with one of your final quotes. Let's "move forward without any retaliation".

Fans just want to see good old fashioned racing.

Thanks Roger. :) It would be great if we can learn from all of this and move forward without retaliation of any sort...we got nine more races to see how all this will settle out. At least MWR has given me plenty of things to talk about this past week and a half. Just too bad none of it is good or positive...other than to set an example to the rest of the teams of what NOT to do...

Well I wasn't going to write anything about this until something happened, but it is Wednesday and am in need of something NASCAR to talk about or to watch...

With NAPA leaving Michael Waltrip Racing at the end of this year, Michael Waltrip has told Martin Truex Jr. (who NAPA sponsors for the remaining eight races...) that he wouldn't try to stop him him Truex wanted to leave MWR after the season.

I haven't heard yay or nay as to what Martin wants or is planning to do after this season is over, especially with the permission to leave MWR. But if he is to leave MWR, it is kinda late in the season to be losing your job and having to seek another ride. I have heard RUMORS that Joe Gibbs Racing is looking into starting a fourth car...and IF he does, that would be a great ride for Martin Truex Jr. Especailly if he can bring NAPA with him. (NAPA has said they are willing to look at other places/rides to sponsor outside of MWR).

But outside of the Joe Gibbs RUMOR of a ride, that pretty much only leaves the 78 of Furniture Row Racing open for Truex to consider going if he was to leave MWR.

Like I said, wasn't planning on writing anything until something came out of this...but had to write about SOMETHING.

• 2 weeks later...

In other motorsport news:

Last week Garrett reported on Dario Franchitti's horrendous crash at the Houston Grand Prix. He broke two vertebrae in his spine, two ribs and an ankle, but was released from hospital yesterday. Dario still faces a second operation on his ankle, but said he was "overwhelmed by the outpouring of support". You can read more here.

Sadder news from Spain today: F1 reserve driver María de Villota was found dead in her hotel this morning. Last year María was involved in a crash during testing in which she received head injuries and lost her right eye, but was cleared to go racing again in February. No definite cause of death has been given yet, but a heart attack is suspected. She was 33. More info here.

_66111380_162134430.jpg

Getty Images

what a terrible loss. :cry:

An autopsy confirmed Maria suffered a cardiac arrest, with the underlying cause probably being a 'detachment of brain mass' as a result of her 2012 accident.

My English isn't good enough to fully understand it but it would mean her brain didn't tell her hart to circulate blood? Or did something in here head move and cause a vein to block?

Hoss - Dario broke two vertebrae's? I heard he fractured them. Knew he had surgery on Monday for it. Tony Stewart had surgery for the third time on his broken leg last Monday as well...

Sorry to hear about Maria. Very sad news. :(

As for NASCAR news...

There was a crew member at Hendrick that had failed the drug test. Don't know which driver he was a crew member for...but Rick Hendrick has said he agrees with NASCAR and has fired the crew member.

Full time Sprint Cup driver Travis Kvapil got arrested earlier this week for domestic assault and for false imprisonment. His team, BK Racing, has said he will race this Saturday night and will support Kvapil until the law says he is guilty...or something like that. While NASCAR has made a statement that they do NOT condone what Kvapil has done...but don't know as of yet if they plan on doing anything against Kvapil. Kvapil is set back in court sometime in mid November for it.

Personally am very disappointed in Kvapil and what he has done. Guess he is innocent until proven guilty, but still...sad that he would risk his career for such horribly act of violence. Or his freedom.

Dang this thread has turned pretty depressing pretty quickly...think we are in need of some good news...

Jeff Gordon has earned / won his 74th career pole. His nineth pole at Charlotte. Better yet...exactly twenty years since his first career pole ... at Charlotte.

Dale Earnhardt Jr celebrated his 39th birthday yesterday and will be starting his 500th NASCAR race tomorrow night.

BTW...thanks Hoss for keeping us updated on the qualifying order. Sorry I haven't been on HNet...or signed in at least. I got a new smartphone so have been playing with that as of late. ;) Will promise to TRY to do better. ;)

Full time Sprint Cup driver Travis Kvapil got arrested earlier this week for domestic assault and for false imprisonment. His team, BK Racing, has said he will race this Saturday night and will support Kvapil until the law says he is guilty...or something like that. While NASCAR has made a statement that they do NOT condone what Kvapil has done...but don't know as of yet if they plan on doing anything against Kvapil. Kvapil is set back in court sometime in mid November for it.

Personally am very disappointed in Kvapil and what he has done. Guess he is innocent until proven guilty, but still...sad that he would risk his career for such horribly act of violence. Or his freedom.

I know he's been arrested and charged, but I didn't read anywhere that he's been convicted. You and NASCAR seem pretty convinced about his guilt, yet "although the Constitution of the United States does not cite it explicitly, presumption of innocence is widely held to follow from the 5th, 6th, and 14th amendments." - Wikipedia.

If he's guilty, then obviously I wouldn't condone his behavior, and NASCAR should probably impose some kind of punishment, but let's wait until we know the facts/verdict.

Well here is Travis Kvapil's interview about this week's events. He doesn't say what happened or anything, but it is good to hear from him and to see him taking it seriously and worrying about his family. Am disappointed this has happened but am hoping for the best for Travis. For his family. That they can work through this and put this behind them.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid2033674580001?bckey=AQ~~,AAABhoRWB6E~,ZDbvWmt 9qUdMhw6nZpuKT1dS8wBM5AtL&bctid=2735863407001

Also an interested opinionated article that displays both sides of the argument of what NASCAR should do...

Travis Kvapil

As I said before am disappointed in what I read about Kvapil...and do admit have thought he should be without a ride due to his actions. But do see BK Racing's view as well as NASCAR's in wanting to hear the verdict before jumping to conclusions. It is hard to say what happened. Only people that knows what happened is Kvapil and his wife. So far all that is being said is his wife's story and Kvapil saying he is embarrassed and ashamed of what had happened. Just hard all the way around and am hoping for the best for both Travis, his wife, and his kids.

Edited by Garrett Duke

I really wish when I came to this thread that I would have some super good news to share with you about and be happy with. Sadly that is not the case for today. :( The only good NASCAR news I heard today was that Kevin Harvick will be racing for JRM next year in the Nationwide Series. In other words, Harvick will be racing for Dale Jr in the Nationwide Series.

And for the sad news...

A few years back, Brian Vickers had to sit out for most of the season when they found blood clots in his leg and they had to put him on blood thinners to take care of it. They can't race while they are on blood thinning medicine.

Well they found a small blood clot in Vickers' hip. Vickers will now be out for the rest of the season (2013) due to being put back onto blood thinners. Though they are optimistic that he will be able to return in the beginning of the 2014 season. (Vickers would be out next week at Talladega anyway since Michael Waltrip will be in the car. So it will affect Vickers for four races...) Still bummed out to hear about Vickers. What rotten luck! I hope he will get it taken care of quick and be back in the car as they hope in 2014...

And for more Michael Waltrip news...

Since NAPA has left the team, it has left a big dent financially it seems. Michael Waltrip will drop from three full time drivers to two full time drivers...with a third team in only a few races (I assume it will be in the restrictor plate races where Michael will race.) Which will leave Martin Truex Jr without a ride for next season.

Personally I don't feel bad for MWR through all of this. They are the ones that had made that call to manipulate the Chase points back in Richmond and even if it was a last minute call as Waltrip says it was, he should have stopped and thought about the consequences it would have. His sponsors. His fans. His team in general.

I do feel bad, however, for Martin Truex Jr. Where it seems like when it rains, it pours. First he was put in the Chase by Bowyer's spin, then NASCAR seeing that the spin was intentional, took Truex Jr out of the Chase to put Newman in the Chase. Then NAPA (Truex Jr's main sponsor) after getting complaints by fans by what Waltrip had done, has came forth that they don't want to be associated with a team that doesn't play by the rules...has came forth saying they are leaving the team after the 2013 season and bringing their money with them. Which led to Waltrip telling Truex Jr that he would be free to find another team if he wishes, but wants him to stay. But now has been shown to the door due to the lack of funds/sponsorship due to the whole ordeal.

Personally, I feel like the wrong driver/person is being the one punished. Truex Jr knew nothing about the spin or Waltrip's call. Yeah it was to help him out, but he had nothing to do with it. And yet he is the one, in my opinion, getting punished for what MW and Bowyer had done.

I hope Vickers a speedy recovery and hope that Truex Jr will find a great team in 2014...

Woo hoo! I finally got some awesome...excellent NASCAR news! :cheers: Well, OK, perhaps it isn't as great as Jeff Gordon winning this years championship (wouldn't that be awesome? LOL) but it has me excited all the same.

NASCAR has finally came out with next year's schedule...not that it is probably any different than any other year, but still...it has me looking forward to next year already! (Though don't get me wrong, I am still cherishing the next five races...but am already dreading the awful NASCAR withdrawal that is bound to come about as soon as Thanksgiving is over....:( )

2014 NASCAR SPRINT CUP SERIES

2/15/2014 — Sprint Unlimited (Daytona)

2/20/2014 — Budweiser Duels (Daytona)

2/23/2014 — Daytona 500

3/2/2014 — Phoenix International Raceway

3/9/2014 — Las Vegas Motor Speedway

3/16/2014 — Bristol Motor Speedway

3/23/2014 — Auto Club Speedway

3/30/2014 — Martinsville Speedway

4/6/2014 — Texas Motor Speedway

4/12/2014 — Darlington Raceway

4/26/2014 — Richmond International Raceway

5/4/2014 — Talladega Superspeedway

5/10/2014 — Kansas Speedway

5/17/2014 — All-Star Race (Charlotte)

5/25/2014 — Charlotte Motor Speedway

6/1/2014 — Dover International Speedway

6/8/2014 — Pocono Raceway

6/15/2014 — Michigan International Speedway

6/22/2014 — Sonoma Raceway

6/28/2014 — Kentucky Speedway

7/5/2014 — Daytona International Speedway

7/13/2014 — New Hampshire Motor Speedway

7/27/2014 — Indianapolis Motor Speedway

8/3/2014 — Pocono Raceway

8/10/2014 — Watkins Glen International

8/17/2014 — Michigan International Speedway

8/23/2014 — Bristol Motor Speedway

8/31/2014 — Atlanta Motor Speedway

9/6/2014 — Richmond International Raceway

9/14/2014 — Chicagoland Speedway

9/21/2014 — New Hampshire Motor Speedway

9/28/2014 — Dover International Speedway

10/5/2014 — Kansas Speedway

10/11/2014 — Charlotte Motor Speedway

10/19/2014 — Talladega Superspeedway

10/26/2014 — Martinsville Speedway

11/2/2014 — Texas Motor Speedway

11/9/2014 — Phoenix International Raceway

11/16/2014 — Homestead-Miami Speedway

Personally I think they should start and end the season at Daytona...and then replace Talladega with Bristol in the Chase. But once again, they have failed to ask me! :roll:

Well this is not for NASCAR or the Sprint Cup, but still will always remember this tragic accident. Two years ago from today, Dan Wheldon died in a horrible car accident at Las Vegas. Do believe it was in Indy Series. Sadly, I feel like that accident could have been prevented if the head people would have listened to the drivers who said the cars were too fast on that track...

RIP Dan...you will never be forgotten. And always missed.

1375049_10151648677607105_762998152_n.jpg

post-2840-143050815306_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the 2014 race schedule Garrett. Now I can get a preview of the days I'm going to beat you in fantasy NASCAR.

You are welcome. :D As much as I am looking forward to the rest of the season this year, I am already looking forward to a fresh start at Daytona. :)

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really mean you enjoyed my fantasy NASCAR league that you are interested in returning next year? You just made my day! :D