One Word Song Titles

HossC

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from a couple of brief, heavy thunder storms, we've had two or three weeks of sunny weather here, so it got me thinking of summer songs. This is another one-hit-wonder, and it topped the UK charts for a week in 1975.

All that remains is for me to welcome you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown, Barbados. :)

Barbados - Typically Tropical

Just for Roth, the song was covered/re-worked in 1998 by Dutch dance band Vengaboys. Their version was called

(they use a very dubious pronunciation of Ibiza).

• 2 weeks later...

When I heard that JJ Cale had passed away last month, it was a name I knew, but I didn't really know much about him. I thought he was mainly a blues musician, but, according to Wikipedia, "Cale was one of the originators of the Tulsa Sound, a loose genre drawing on blues, rockabilly, country, and jazz influences." After hearing and enjoying some of his music earlier today, I thought I'd post a track as a tribute:

Clyde - JJ Cale

Cale impressed and influenced a lot of people with his style. Some of them include Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits), Eric Clapton (who covered two of his songs) and Neil Young (who remarked that of all the musicians he had ever heard, J.J. Cale and Jimi Hendrix were the two best electric guitar players). The song above was also covered by someone we're all familiar with:

Clyde - Waylon Jennings

R.I.P. John Weldon Cale (December 5, 1938 – July 26, 2013)

• 1 month later...

It's Friday again, so time for something funky! BBC FOUR are still working through the '70s epsiodes of their pop show 'Top of the Pops', and are currently at 1978. Last week's program included this song. The caption claims it's from 'Top of the Pops', but it's actually from the Dutch equivalent, 'TopPop' (they're wearing the same outfits).

Rasputin - Boney M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oro-Rj4Yr-g

Oh, those Russians... :)

I was looking for a doo-wop song earlier when I came across this one instead (the doo-wop song turned out to be by the Four Lovers, precursor to the Four Seasons, but this came up because both have "Apple of my eye" in the lyrics). Intrigued by the name of the artist, I gave it a listen, and realized that I already knew it from a car commercial. Wikipedia describes them as "an American indie folk band". The song is from 2009.

Home - Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

And here's the car commercial that features the song. Confusingly, the commercial is from 2013, but the car is called the 2008. Peugeot haven't sold cars in the US since 1991, but a white Peugeot 504 does appear in a couple of the Georgia episodes.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I watched an interesting program about the early days of synthesizer music in Britain. One of the bands mentioned was Yazoo (known as Yaz in the US), formed when Vince Clarke left Depeche Mode and teamed up Alison Moyet. This is one of my favorite tracks of theirs.

After checking out several videos on YouTube, I came across this live version that I'd never heard before. I really shows off Alison's vocals well.

Situation - Yazoo

"]

In case anyone's interested, the whole 90-minute BBC documentary called 'Synth Britannia' is also on YouTube - you can see it

I absolutely LOVE Darius Rucker's new song "Radio". I remember growing up watching the Cubs games on WGN and the announcers would always talk about Hootie and the Blowfish. I always thought that was a strange name for a band, but never heard any of their music, but the announcers seemed to really like them. And now one of the main singers, Darius Rucker is a star in the Country genre. Am now a true fan of Darius...and have to say this is one of my favorite songs of his!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUVcwLy3euo

This one is actually two SMALL words, but doubt I would use it in the musical chairs section so I thought I would post it here. Normally it takes me a few times of hearing a new song by an artist I don't know much about before I can start to say I like it. But not this one. I have loved this song since the very first time I heard it...had to go out and buy the album once it came out. I do like the whole album and do like the video...

• 2 weeks later...

I've just read the sad news that Lou Reed has passed away at the age of 71.

Vicious - Lou Reed

I know their titles are longer than one word, but I thought I'd include a couple more of the tracks from his great 1972 album 'Transformer':

Walk On The Wild Side:

Perfect Day:

R.I.P. Lewis Allan "Lou" Reed (March 2, 1942 – October 27, 2013)

Fever - Peggy Lee

Roth, you probably missed it, but I made a note about posting song names/artists in the Musical Chairs thread recently:

Since we've nearly all switched to embedding videos, it's easy to forget to include the name of the song/artist in the post. This means that it doesn't show up when you search the thread (either to check if a song's been posted before, or to find a song you want to listen to again), and there's also no way of knowing what the song was if the video gets removed from YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To mark the funeral of Nelson Mandela, here's a song written in 1975 to publicize the resistance movement in South Africa. I know this is a non-political forum, but I hope no one here was in favor of apartheid, so it shouldn't be controversial.

Johannesburg - Gil Scott-Heron