NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

16 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Okay, I'll admit it. There have been times when I have  logged in out of obligation and not because I felt like it. That's probably not a rare feeling for us long time regulars. Loyalty is important but so is fun. If you are taking something too seriously and finding out it isn't as much fun you have 5 options: 1) Quit. 2) Walk away for a bit. 3) Attitude adjustment. 4) Limit your time. 5) A combination of 2, 3 and 4.

We're happy you reconsidered. Definitely don't worry about feeling all the pressure of the NASCAR reports. If Spike or Hoss don't post updates, people can always Google that info. Of course that's not as much fun as coming to a place like Hazzard County with such strong NASCAR ties. The HazzardNet is a lot of fun and if it ever gets to a point where it's not, just follow the advice of your old wise Uncle Roger....reread this post, go with options 2,3,4 or 5....but never option 1.....or we're sending that bloodhound Flash out to hunt you down and drag you back! 

6. Come by the car lot for some of my finest! ( Just look at what it's done for me!)  :) LOL!

On 3/3/2023 at 7:32 PM, HossC said:

The Red Bulls of Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez looked quick in the practice sessions, but it was Fernando Alonso in his first race for Aston Martin who headed the second practice this afternoon. Whether that translates into a good starting position will be determined in tomorrow's qualifying. Mercedes seem to be starting the season off the pace again, but we'll find out on Sunday.

The practice sessions ended up being a good indicator for the race. It was an easy win for Max Verstappen in his Red Bull, and his team mate, Sergio Perez, came second. Ferrari's Charles Leclerc had been having a good scrap with Perez before his engine failed. The big story of the race was Fernando Alonso, the oldest driver in the field at 41, overtaking the Mercedes of Lewis Hamilton and George Russell, and the Ferrari of Carlos Sainz to claim a podium finish in his first race for Aston Martin. We probably shouldn't be surprised - Alonso is a double F1 World Champion, double 24 Hours of Le Mans winner and three-time entrant of the Indianapolis 500.

It's now two weeks until the Saudi Arabia Grand Prix in Jeddah.

On 3/5/2023 at 10:17 PM, RogerDuke said:

Okay, I'll admit it. There have been times when I have  logged in out of obligation and not because I felt like it. That's probably not a rare feeling for us long time regulars. Loyalty is important but so is fun. If you are taking something too seriously and finding out it isn't as much fun you have 5 options: 1) Quit. 2) Walk away for a bit. 3) Attitude adjustment. 4) Limit your time. 5) A combination of 2, 3 and 4.

We're happy you reconsidered. Definitely don't worry about feeling all the pressure of the NASCAR reports. If Spike or Hoss don't post updates, people can always Google that info. Of course that's not as much fun as coming to a place like Hazzard County with such strong NASCAR ties. The HazzardNet is a lot of fun and if it ever gets to a point where it's not, just follow the advice of your old wise Uncle Roger....reread this post, go with options 2,3,4 or 5....but never option 1.....or we're sending that bloodhound Flash out to hunt you down and drag you back! 

Thank you Roger.  I will definitely have to do number 5...LOL.

Though please send Flash...I love dogs!

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/03/07/hendrick-motorsports-announces-fill-in-drivers-for-elliott-expected-to-miss-six-weeks/

Not exactly the news I was hoping for...but sadly the news I was expecting. Chase Elliott is out for six race due to his injury.  Am not a happy camper about this. Though do feel bad for Chase. He has to be in pain and now guilt and worry about missing out these races and so forth. Hope he heals well...and soon...and am looking forward to seeing him back in the number 9 car. I am sure Josh Berry is great....but he's not Chase. LOL. 

4 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/03/07/hendrick-motorsports-announces-fill-in-drivers-for-elliott-expected-to-miss-six-weeks/

Not exactly the news I was hoping for...but sadly the news I was expecting. Chase Elliott is out for six race due to his injury.  Am not a happy camper about this. Though do feel bad for Chase. He has to be in pain and now guilt and worry about missing out these races and so forth. Hope he heals well...and soon...and am looking forward to seeing him back in the number 9 car. I am sure Josh Berry is great....but he's not Chase. LOL. 

I wonder how this will affect him financially. Any idea? It couldn't be good for him but how bad is it? I suppose it depends on how his  contracts are worded. 

On 3/7/2023 at 10:12 PM, RogerDuke said:

I wonder how this will affect him financially. Any idea? It couldn't be good for him but how bad is it? I suppose it depends on how his  contracts are worded. 

That is a good question. I don't know how they will work this. I am sure he is contracted to get money one way or another. But they also earn money in the race such as the first place winner earns more money and the last place gets the least amount, but still money. But they also probably have to share that with the pit crew and car owner and such on and such on. I am not completely sure. I know at one point I heard the pit crew members often times had other jobs outside of the race...which is dumb. Because they have a big chunk of responsibility between how good the driver is...so they should get paid good. IDK. Hopefully they get paid good...lol. So I guess I really don't know how this all works. Probably like all else sports where the players get hurt...they get paid to sit on the benches. Though in those stories, their back ups probably also have their own contract. I am sure Rick Hendrick will have to dish out money to Josh Berry for said races he is in and money to the other guy (Sorry I can't think of his name right now. All I know is, is, it's not Chase Elliott...LOL). 

I remember years ago when Kyle Busch was always throwing his temper tantrums (well more than he does now...) his pit crew didn't tighten a lugnut completely. Kyle had to do a drive through. Kyle cussed his crew out on the radio...next pit stop, they did it again. LOL. (You think he'd learn to treat them better...LOL). Kyle actually went on to win the race. He may be a good driver and have a thing or two to do with the win...but maybe he should be more respectful and appreciative of the people that make it happen as well.  (Sorry talking about the pit crew members, made me think of this...LOL. I can't remember the important info to save my life, but I remember odd random stuff like this. :cornfused:

Hey Hoss...don't you like Jenson Button? Or am I imagining things again? 

Well if you do like him, you'll be interested in this article. If not, well then, I'm keeping y'all infomed.

Jenson Button is coming to NASCAR for the COTA race...

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/03/09/jenson-button-set-for-nascar-debut-at-cota/

8 hours ago, HossC said:

:previous:

Thanks, Garrett. I used to be a Jenson Button fan when he was racing in F1. Nowadays he's one of the presenters on the satellite station that shows the races live. I watch the highlights on the free channel in the evening, so I don't see him much.

You are welcome. I saw his name and thought it was you that liked him. That will be exciting to see how he does in a cup car! Now here's your chance to see him drive a real car. ;) (As Chris Meyer says in the NASCAR booth...I kid because I care ;)

3 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

You are welcome. I saw his name and thought it was you that liked him. That will be exciting to see how he does in a cup car! Now here's your chance to see him drive a real car. ;) (As Chris Meyer says in the NASCAR booth...I kid because I care ;)

Remember, Jenson knows how to turn right as well as left! ;)

On 3/9/2023 at 1:07 PM, Garrett Duke said:

That is a good question. I don't know how they will work this. I am sure he is contracted to get money one way or another. But they also earn money in the race such as the first place winner earns more money and the last place gets the least amount, but still money. But they also probably have to share that with the pit crew and car owner and such on and such on. I am not completely sure. I know at one point I heard the pit crew members often times had other jobs outside of the race...which is dumb. Because they have a big chunk of responsibility between how good the driver is...so they should get paid good. IDK. Hopefully they get paid good...lol. So I guess I really don't know how this all works. Probably like all else sports where the players get hurt...they get paid to sit on the benches. Though in those stories, their back ups probably also have their own contract. I am sure Rick Hendrick will have to dish out money to Josh Berry for said races he is in and money to the other guy (Sorry I can't think of his name right now. All I know is, is, it's not Chase Elliott...LOL). 

I remember years ago when Kyle Busch was always throwing his temper tantrums (well more than he does now...) his pit crew didn't tighten a lugnut completely. Kyle had to do a drive through. Kyle cussed his crew out on the radio...next pit stop, they did it again. LOL. (You think he'd learn to treat them better...LOL). Kyle actually went on to win the race. He may be a good driver and have a thing or two to do with the win...but maybe he should be more respectful and appreciative of the people that make it happen as well.  (Sorry talking about the pit crew members, made me think of this...LOL. I can't remember the important info to save my life, but I remember odd random stuff like this. :cornfused:

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks Garrett! 

26 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

I don't know why but Kevin Harvick and Denny Hamlin are usually my favorites!

Sorry to tell you Hobie, but both of those guys had run ins with my man Chase. So I'm not a big fan of either one of them. Though...what are you going to do at the end of the year when Harvick retires? ;) I think he is scheduled to be in the Fox booth next year. I could be wrong. 

I am all for my Hendnrick drivers. Chase Elliott is sadly out...so I guess I'll go for my familiar number 24 that's now driven by William Byron, but will always be known as Jeff Gordon's car. But I like Bowman too...as well as Kyle Larson. I was complaining to my dad the other day. When Gordon was racing and he got wrecked out or something, I at least had Johnson as a back up to go to. Now I really don't. Not anyone that I get overly excited about.

Dannnnggggg Chase Elliott better never retire...I don't know what I'd do. The only reason I had Chase to fall back onto, is because I knew he was going to be dubbed Gordon's replacement when he retired years before he retired so I kinda followed how he was doing through his ARCA and Xfinity career. So if it wasn't for that...I may have no one right now. LOL. 

So...yeah...Chase better race for another sixty years or so. Then, maybe, when I'm six feet under, then maybe he can retire... ;) 

2 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Well Byron won!  WTH is he???? That's ok....I'll find someone else to root for!

Looks like Byron won...again today. He's been on a roll the last couple of weeks.  Which I am happy for. If Chase isn't winning, then let's see the 24 car back in victory lane. It's like deja vu all over again. Just too bad Jeff Gordon's not driving it. I do like William Byron. He's a clean and good driver and does a great job driving the 24 car. Just no one will be able to replace Jeff Gordon in my eyes. Not even Chase Elliott who drove that car for a few years. Sorry I don't have much to report on the race, I didn't watch it. (Shame on me.) But my Hendrick drivers seem to do better when I'm not watching them . ;) 

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/03/12/william-byron-makes-it-two-wins-in-a-row-with-last-ditch-effort-at-phoenix/

And don't root for someone else, just because of me. That's what makes this sport great. There is a lot of drivers to chose from and we all don't have to like the same ones! I'll give Hamlin credit...when Elliott got back at him, he was the first one to say he had that coming. Not a lot of drivers would admit that. I think he's the first one I remember that admitted to it like that.

As for Harvick, Harvick is Harvick. He admitted he likes to stir the pot. When Keselowski wrecked Gordon (who would have won the race) Gordon confronted Keselowski and Keselowski tried running away until Harvick pushed him towards Gordon. Started a fist fight. Harvick later said that he regretted doing that and the only reason he did that was to get the attention off of himself who had a bad race. LOL. At the time I thought it was big of Harvick who said he approved of Keselowski's move on the track, but he should own up to it afterwards. But Gordon was the one who got the fine and in trouble for it, so that part wasn't cool. 

So bottom line...just because Hamlin and Harvick has had run ins with Elliot and I'm not a fan of their racing...that may be more of a reason for you to like them. ;) Though if I had my way...we all would be big Chase Elliott, Jeff Gordon, and Jimmie Johnson fans. :D I'm just glad you didn't say you were a Kyle Busch fan...I might have to question your taste in drivers...just saying ;) LOL. 

Edited by Garrett Duke