NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

Well that was the weirdest Southern 500 finish I've ever seen, even caught the commentators off guard, they thought Denny's car had an issue. To me it appears Denny Hamlin slowed way down in turn 3 which caught Kyle Larson off guard and Kyle wrecked trying to avoid running into the back of Denny. For a few playoff contenders it was a bad race. Michael McDowell got loose and hit the inside wall early in the race. Two Hendrick Motorsports teammate's William Byron and Alex Bowman bounced off of each other on lap 14. Kyle Busch got loose when Austin Dillon was trying to pass on the inside and hit the wall. The crowd erupted in cheers as Kyle threw one of his famous tantrums and drove his car straight to the teams hauler nearly hitting someone in the process which of course got him a ticket to the Nascar Officials hauler. In his interview he blamed his team as usual. William Byron suffered a tire deflation after one of the tire changers accidentally knocked the valve stem off the LF tire and hit turn 1 wall. Ryan Blaney suffered a brake failure late in the race. 

Top 10

1 Denny Hamlin

2 Kyle Larson

3 Ross Chastain

4 Martin Truex Jr

5 Kevin Harvick

6 Kurt Busch

7 Brad Keselowski

8 Joey Logano

9 Chris Buescher

10 Austin Dillon

Apparently Front Row Motorsports is not dropping out of the Cup series in 2022 but that's all they'll say at the moment https://www.jayski.com/2021/09/02/23xi-racing-working-on-deal-with-front-row-motorsports-for-charter-merger/

Official: Ryan Preece is out at JTGDaugherty Racing. Ricky Stenhouse Jr will be driving the team's lone entry in the 2022 season https://www.jayski.com/2021/09/02/jtg-daugherty-racing-plans-to-run-one-full-time-team-in-2022/

Just got around to listening to this Dale Jr Download podcast with his brother Kerry Earnhardt https://www.dirtymomedia.com/dalejrdownload/episode/26e22c75/341-kerry-earnhardt-accepted-or-rejected Definitely worth your time to listen to if you're an Earnhardt fan. I won't spoil it but there's some great stories, some funny ones and sad ones. Theresa, wow what a :censored:, talk about cold hearted.

For his dangerous actions after wrecking at Darlington Kyle Busch has been fined $50,000 https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2021/09/07/kyle-busch-fined-for-violations-at-darlington-raceway/

In my opinion they should have made this sting a bit more, $50k is a drop in the bucket for him considering his annual salary is most likely in the millions. $250,000 and maybe some points taken away would have been a nice deterrent to more of his childish outbursts. 

4 hours ago, Spike said:
4 hours ago, Spike said:

For his dangerous actions after wrecking at Darlington Kyle Busch has been fined $50,000 

That's odd. At Hobie's Moonshine 500 they fine people if they don't drive dangerously. But it's like 'ol Waylon says. "This is Hazzard County. We do things different here."

On 9/7/2021 at 10:25 PM, RogerDuke said:

That's odd. At Hobie's Moonshine 500 they fine people if they don't drive dangerously. But it's like 'ol Waylon says. "This is Hazzard County. We do things different here."

That's right! We'll be  racing this weekend and all the proud Hazzardites that want to, will be in it. We especially  invite dipsticks,  time wasters and  ne'er do wells etc.!  ( I don't think Cooter will be there but I KNOW Ben Jones will be!) :)  Just remember, if you're planning on running in this thing, be there on time.  Remember! THERE ARE NO RULES......but one.....finish first,....ANY WAY YOU CAN!   ( sound familiar anybody??)  Also remember, it's the Moonshine 400....nobody will probably be sober long enough to take it 500 laps!  There's going to be  a party after the race at the car lot ( right beside the track/stands) , which will probably be continued until late night, or early morning at the Boar's Nest!

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

On 9/8/2021 at 6:18 PM, Hobie Hartkins said:

That's right! We'll be  racing this weekend and all the proud Hazzardites that want to, will be in it. We especially  invite dipsticks,  time wasters and  ne'er do wells etc.!  ( I don't think Cooter will be there but I KNOW Ben Jones will be!) :)  Just remember, if you're planning on running in this thing, be their on time.  Remember! THERE ARE NO RULES......but one.....finish first,....ANY WAY YOU CAN!   ( sound familiar anybody??)  Also remember, it's the Moonshine 400....nobody will probably be sober long enough to take it 500 laps!  There's going to be  a party after the race at the car lot ( right beside the track/stands) , which will probably be continued until late night, or early morning at the Boar's Nest!

I'm probably going to pass out by midnight with all the buttermilk I'm going to drink. 

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

I'm probably going to pass out by midnight with all the buttermilk I'm going to drink. 

I remember when I was in 2nd grade in '72 ( I just turned 56, in case you're trying to figure it!) , and my teacher asked the class who liked Buttermilk. Everybody's like " EWWW"!! I was the only one to raise my hand. My grandmother used to keep me before I was old enough to go to school and  she used to give me Buttermilk. Nothing beats Buttermilk and Cornbread!

( Me doing a Jeff Foxworthy impersonation: ) Do YOU like cornbread and Buttermilk?  Then you just might be a REDNECK!! :) 

Martin Truex Jr won a snorefest of a race Saturday night at Richmond Raceway. By the end of the 2nd stage Denny Hamlin had lapped almost 3/4's of the field, I decided to go to bed as I figured the racing wouldn't get much better and from the highlight reels on YouTube it didn't. Chase Elliott seemed to be the only non JGR car that could give Denny a challenge but a pit road mistake put him a lap down, but he managed to drive back up to finish 4th. It would have been a JGR sweep if not for Kyle Busch getting a pit road speeding penalty late in the race. At the end only 9 cars were on the lead lap. It's funny Nascar failed Kyle Larson's car twice in inspection which forced him to start at the rear instead of the pole position yet the JGR cars were lapping everybody else, maybe they should have given the JGR Toyota's a closer look. As it stands now Alex Bowman, William Byron, Michael McDowell and Tyler Reddick will be eliminated from the playoffs at Bristol next Saturday night unless one of them wins the race.

Top 10

1 Martin Truex Jr

2 Denny Hamlin

3 Christopher Bell

4 Chase Elliott

5 Joey Logano

6 Kyle Larson

7 Ross Chastain

8 Kevin Harvick

9 Kyle Busch

10 Ryan Blaney

Over in F1 it was the Italian Grand Prix at the historic Monza circuit this weekend. The two championship-leading drivers, Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen, crashed into each other halfway through the race, leaving McLaren to get their first 1-2 finish since 2012. Lewis said afterwards that the halo safety device above the cockpit had saved his life! Max was adjudged to be at fault, and gets a 3-place grid penalty at the next race. You can see the crash here.

8 hours ago, HossC said:

Over in F1 it was the Italian Grand Prix at the historic Monza circuit this weekend. The two championship-leading drivers, Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen, crashed into each other halfway through the race, leaving McLaren to get their first 1-2 finish since 2012. Lewis said afterwards that the halo safety device above the cockpit had saved his life! Max was adjudged to be at fault, and gets a 3-place grid penalty at the next race. You can see the crash here.

Will be interesting to see Ricciardo drive one of Dale Earnhardt Sr's old Monte Carlo's soon. I assume it will happen around F1 COTA race. 

10 hours ago, HossC said:

I saw that . Any idea how much those cars weigh?

2022 Cup Series Schedule https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nascar/2022-nascar-schedule-st-louis-la-coliseum-changes-bob-pockrass

Notable changes

The Clash for the first time is moved from Daytona to the LA Coliseum in California

Bristol dirt race will be run on Easter Sunday night.

Starcom Racing will be shutting down at the end of the 2021 season. 

Saturday night's Cup race didn't have the exciting finish that the Xfinity race did but did have some drama. It looked like it was going to be Denny Hamlin's race to lose and he did when he cut a tire while beating and banging with Kyle Larson for the lead. When Kevin Harvick and Chase Elliot were battling for the lead Chase Elliot also cut a tire and went a lap down. That didn't end there though... on fresh tires Chase raced his way back to Harvick and doorslammed him on his way by to regain his lap and then took Harvick's line away which allowed Chase's teammate Kyle Larson to catch and pass Kevin Harvick. Kyle Larson went on to win. Chase and Kevin had a heated discussion on pit road and had another discussion later, then Kevin got into a reporter's face about recording them and so they went to Chase's hauler to have their discussion. Aric Almirola, Tyler Reddick, Kurt Busch and Michael McDowell are out of the Playoffs/Chase.

Top 10 

1 Kyle Larson

2 Kevin Harvick

3 William Byron

4 Ryan Blaney

5 Alex Bowman

6 Brad Keselowski

7 Martin Truex Jr

8 Erik Jones

9 Denny Hamlin

10 Matt Dibenedetto

It appears 23XI racing has bought a charter for the #45 next year 

and talks with FRM are still ongoing with either FRM selling both it's charter's to 23XI racing and not racing in the cup series or one charter and becoming another JGR Toyota satellite team. That would leave Ford with only Penske racing and RoushFenwayKeselowski Racing teams in 2022 with 6 or 7 Ford's each race.

I can't believe Hamlin didn't do any better than that!  I did better than that in yesterday's Moonshine 400! ( Where were you guys?)  I didn't win though because I was constantly behind Daisy......keepin' an eye on her tail!  Also  Uncle Jesse kept tryin' to knock me off the track......think he was protectin' daisy!

13 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

That Chase Elliott feller. What a troublemaker!

I'm proud that they were both adult enough to talk about it instead of destroying each other's cars or trying to fight, and giving interviews instead of the Kyle Busch toddler tantrum. 

Some Nascar programming could be moving to online streaming...https://www.jayski.com/2021/09/20/will-nascar-fans-have-to-pay-to-watch-some-races-in-next-tv-deal/

So far it looks like practice sessions and qualifying. 

Edited by Spike