NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

Sometimes I just don't understand you Garrett. You're USUALLY such a positive person with a good attitude. Why are you all the sudden turning negative? I'm really shocked at your behavior. You haven't even seen this car. How can you say so many bad things about it? For some reason you're not focusing on anything positive here. I mean, have you even seen the 8-track player? I'll answer that.....NO!

And I should add that the lack of transmission means that the car is lighter......and lighter always makes a car faster. But all I get is negativity from you. All you want to focus on is the tiny details like it "won't move without a transmission." What are you, a mechanic or something? Please clean up your act and start focusing on the positive.

I suppose if you ever saw the car you'd complain that it's 98% rusted out and not even notice the 2% of the car that's not rusty. And I'm sure you'd complain that all the windows are broken and not even mention that the rear view mirror is just fine. And you'll ignore the free honey under the hood (from the bees living there) and only focus on the fact that the engine's seized up. Geez, what's your problem?

Sometimes I just don't understand you Garrett. You're USUALLY such a positive person with a good attitude. Why are you all the sudden turning negative? I'm really shocked at your behavior. You haven't even seen this car. How can you say so many bad things about it? For some reason you're not focusing on anything positive here. I mean, have you even seen the 8-track player? I'll answer that.....NO!

And I should add that the lack of transmission means that the car is lighter......and lighter always makes a car faster. But all I get is negativity from you. All you want to focus on is the tiny details like it "won't move without a transmission." What are you, a mechanic or something? Please clean up your act and start focusing on the positive.

I suppose if you ever saw the car you'd complain that it's 98% rusted out and not even notice the 2% of the car that's not rusty. And I'm sure you'd complain that all the windows are broken and not even mention that the rear view mirror is just fine. And you'll ignore the free honey under the hood (from the bees living there) and only focus on the fact that the engine's seized up. Geez, what's your problem?

Wow Roger, didn't know you were such attached to a car that doesn't move. :wink: Didn't mean to offend you by pointing out the negative yet true statements about the description of your car. Am sure that two percent rust free section of your car is beautiful and am sure it was a great car in it's day and you loved it immensely.

Sadly I am not a mechanic and I know very little about fixing a car and all that fancy stuff. I work at a day care and the extent of fixing up a car comes with toy cars...HA HA. But even with my lack of knowledge (Thanks to NASCAR...HA HA and Jeff Hammond) I do know that cars do need transmissions, fuel pumps, and alternators to get anywhere.

Sorry Roger...that there is a fact and you can't change a fact like that. Sometimes, well, reality hurts. :( Sorry bud. Hate to be the one to break it to you, but sooner or later you will have to realize and know this. No hard feelings towards you or your car. I am not a negative person...just a truthful person.

Though am sure your chickens love checking themselves out in your rearview mirror and dancing along with your 8 track player. Does it have any New Kids on the Block music? Am sure your chickens would really love listening to the New Kids. :popcorn:

Hey Roger, how them chickens like the New Kids on the Block? :innocent:

Well some more new contract info has arised this week...last Sunday, Ragen Smith came forth (on his birthday of all days) saying that unless a miracle happened he wouldn't be in his 78 Furniture Row car next year.

Well it is starting to look as if he'll be out of a ride before then. Like as of Charolette in a few weeks...

Where Kurt Busch will take over the wheel of the 78 Furniture Row car as of Charolette (sp? LOL) and into next year. If anyone is keeping track this will be Kurt's third ride in the past three years...

So as of now we have:

• Matt Kenseth out of the Rousch 17 car and into the Joe Gibbs 20 car.
  • Ricky Stenhouse Jr from the Nationwide Series taking the Rousch 17 car.
  • Sam Hornish Jr out of the Penske 22 car (formally AJ Allmindinger's car) and
  • Joey Logano out of the Joe Gibbs 20 car and into the Penske 22 car.
  • Ragen Smith out of the 78 Furniture Row car and Kurt Busch into the 78 Furniture Row car.

Unless there is a surprise empty seat/car come available (which is unforseeable for this upcoming year) it is starting to look like everyone's contract will be made or met before the end of this year.

(In case y'all are wondering...Jeff Gordon has a lifetime contract with Rick Hendrick. So until he retires, he's driving for Mr. H.)

Sorry Roger, am unsure about David Ragen's contract info...no one has mentioned anything about his car opening up or if he'll stay with that team or not. If I hear, I will make sure to let you know...and everyone else know with any other changes in cars and drivers. But as of now, that is what it looks like.

I've heard of musical chairs but this is the first time I've ever heard of musical stock cars.

I bet after the music stops David Ragen is going to be standing there without a car.

Awww poor David...that sounds like where Ragen Smih is right now. Hope you are wrong about that David. If so he can always do what Elliot Sadler did when that happened to him. He went back to racing Nationwide Series full time...a couple of years ago. So far this year Elliot has had a great season. Four wins and is sitting first in points right now (by a few points over Ricky Stenhouse Jr.). Would like to see Elliot back in Spint Cup soon. Was sad when he left for Nationwide and am excited for him that he is having a great year - hope he gets the NW championship this year...

• 2 weeks later...

Well y'all I have got some devastatingly bad news...well OK to some I may be over exaggerating, but am I? Guess no one that I know have died and no one was SERIOUSLY hurt or injured, so one should be grateful. And I am grateful. With that huge wreck at the end of the Talledega race, everyone in the NASCAR world should be grateful for all the safety gear that is on the track, on the driver, and in the car. That wreck was ten times worse that Dale Sr's wreck in '01 where he sadly died in...so yeah, everyone is lucky and I am very grateful.

But still...despite everyone walking away from that big wreck at the end of 'Dega, not everyone walked away without any harm.

Dale Earnhardt Jr will be sitting out the next two weeks (this weekend's race at Charlotte and next week at Kansas) due to suffering an concussion in a wreck in August (that I heard nothing about, til now- was during a testing session at Kansas. Dale told his crew cheif Steve Letarte about it, no one else.) and thanks to the big wreck that his own buddy Tony Stewart caused by trying to block his lane, he suffered another concussion. After suffering with a lingering headache, he went to see a neurosurgeon that confirmed that he suffered a concussion in August and another one at 'Dega. Jr said he knew he got one after the wreck in August but was too stubborn to seek help for it in fear that he would be yanked from his car...well after having TWO concussions, he is yanked from his car for TWO WEEKS.

After a stellar year...or well, at least one of his best years as of late, his wreck at 'Dega costed him four spots in the chase. If that wasn't a closer on the championship hopes, well this is.

Ragen Smith, who use to drive the 78 car (last weekend was his last race with the team since Kurt Busch is taking over the 78 car) will be driving Jr's 88 car in his absense. Ragen Smith is said to be taking over Kurt Busch's 51 car, but while Ragen is driving for Hendrick, AJ Allmindinger will take the wheel of the 51 car - his first time back since being suspended.

NASCAR checks for concussions when they take the drivers to the incare field center after a driver wrecks (mandatory) and said when Jr first got the concussion, that he passed all their concussion tests. (Dale didn't have to go to the incare center Sunday since he got his car started and drove to the finish line...) Dale's father, Dale SR was one of the drivers that got NASCAR's attention after he suffered a concussion, knew about it, but didn't say anything about it for weeks when he said he had one in an interview and how he had hard time communicating with his crew during the race as well as with focusing.

So ok perhaps it isn't devastating that Dale got a concussion - it could have been a lot worse than what it is. Perhaps I exaggerated a tad bit in my reaction, but still hate it for Dale Jr that he is hurt and sidelined as he will be for the next two weeks. Worse yet, he got the news yesterday...on his 38th birthday. What a great birthday present...not.

Get better soon Dale Jr!

That's too bad. Dale Jr has quite a large following of fiercely loyal fans and I feel bad for him and all his fans.

Not only that but it hurts NASCAR in general because a lot of folks won't even watch these next two races if he's not in them.

Thanks for breaking this news to us Garrett.

You are welcome, Roger. Of my list of favorite NASCAR drivers, Dale JR is my third favorite (after Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson) and if my news above didn't express it, I am pretty disappointed to see Jr sitting out for the next two races. Though am glad he was able to make the step forward to get the help he needs to get better...as he says, he still has a lot of racing to do and he needs to be healthy to do it. (Something like that.) Hate it for Jr...has to be rough for him to be facing this - hard couple of weeks for him and his team.

Get feeling better Jr.

• 1 month later...

Well after the ugly incident that happened on and off the track between Jeff Gordon and Clint Bowyer yesterday at Phoenix (Bowyer wrecked Gordon - third time this year - Gordon intentionally wrecked Bowyer. Bowyers crew went after Gordon to cause a fight...everyone called into the NASCAR hauler after the race...as I said, ugly incident.) the NASCAR judges have sent out their penalties.

Jeff Gordon has been fined $100,000 - 25 driver points, and on probation through December 31st. Alan Gustafson, Gordon's crew cheif (I liked Alan before, but I have the utmost respect for him after yesterday.) is on probation until the end of the year as well. Gustafson didn't do anything but supposedly the cc is responsible for the driver and his crew. Jeff Gordon's car owner, Rick Hendrick has been fined 25 car owner points.

Brian Pattie, crew cheif for Clint Bowyer, has been fined $25,000 and put on probation until the end of the year.

(OK I must vent. I am a tad biased here...I understand Gordon's penalty and I accept it. It is better than what I was expecting and am very relieved and grateful. What I don't understand why Bowyer didn't get nothing for running after Gordon...or perhaps his entire crew who ATTACKED (or tried attacking Gordon. Gordon's crew pulled him away before they could) got nothing. I think the penalties are lopsided a little more than they should be. . .but with all things considered, perhaps I should stick with being grateful. :-? )

But on a side note . . . NASCAR has also fined Brad Keselowski $25,000 dollars and put on probation until the end of the year as well. He was fined for violating the rule that says no electronics in the car. During the red flag the TV showed Keselowski typing something on his cell phone...which had me checking Twitter since Keselowski is big on Twitter...he had posted a pic (that someone had sent him) of the fight onto Twitter.

URGH...All I have to say is that Clint Bowyer better be staying FAR AWAY from Jeff Gordon on Homestead. Both Bowyer and Pattie (his crew cheif) had threatened to take revenge at Homestead on Gordon. If they do, at least, NASCAR has it on tape and hopefully be handing out penalties to them - but I really HOPE it doesn't come down that. One more race to go of the season, before the dreaded off season starts....:mad:

... and on probation through December 31st.

So just the next race then? I assume they're unlikely to violate their probation when they're not racing.

NASCAR has also fined Brad Keselowski $25,000 dollars and put on probation until the end of the year as well. He was fined for violating the rule that says no electronics in the car ...

That seems like an odd rule when these are called "stock cars". Think of all the electronic devices there are in your road car. Do today's stock cars share a single component with their road-going namesakes?

So just the next race then? I assume they're unlikely to violate their probation when they're not racing.

That seems like an odd rule when these are called "stock cars". Think of all the electronic devices there are in your road car. Do today's stock cars share a single component with their road-going namesakes?

Yeah hopefully they can go without any incident for one race...as well as for the month they are not racing. 8-)

As far as electronics in the car, I assume they mean radios and phones and unneccary electronics in the car. Brad had posted a pic on Twitter in Feb of Montoya' wrecking the jet dryer at Daytona and someone said he had been warned about it then. Well obviously he didn't listen and the consequences followed...

Yeah hopefully they can go without any incident for one race.....

You're right. It would be a sad day for NASCAR if those two guys cause trouble and the end result is an injury to an innocent driver or a situation that affects the outcome of who would be champion.

And I'll really be mad if David Ragen has a chance to finish 30th but ends up 35th because Jeff Gordon bumps into him.....LOL

(I can hear Garrett's reaction now....."uh, Roger Jeff's going to be too far ahead of David to bump into him" There, I said it before you did Garrett.

You're right. It would be a sad day for NASCAR if those two guys cause trouble and the end result is an injury to an innocent driver or a situation that affects the outcome of who would be champion.

And I'll really be mad if David Ragen has a chance to finish 30th but ends up 35th because Jeff Gordon bumps into him.....LOL

(I can hear Garrett's reaction now....."uh, Roger Jeff's going to be too far ahead of David to bump into him" There, I said it before you did Garrett.

Innocent driver? Like Jeff Gordon...would hate for that to happen.

Uh I'd hate to see anyone get hurt in any way shape or form...

If it would help Jimmie Johnson...;) (I'd love JJ to win the championship, but I am done with all of this. Gordon needs to stay FAR away from any further conflicts. On and off the track!)

HA HA Roger. I hope Jeff Gordon is far away from thirtieth place on Sunday...but if Bowyer has anything to say about it he probably would like to see Gordon back there. I just hope those two will be able to stay FAR away from each other, but normally when drivers have conflicts like that, it seems like they find a way to get by each other.

Edited by Garrett Duke

Well I don't know how many of you would care one way or another on this but with all this negativity swirling around Jeff Gordon this week (totally disagree with it all...of course!) feel like it is time to shed some positive information on the driver of the 24 Sprint Cup car. ;)

Twenty years ago from TODAY (Thursday, November 15th) a young kid from California with a new sponsor to the sport climbed into the 24 car for Rick Hendrick. Jeff Gordon's first race was at Altanta which was the last race of the season and was also Richard "the King" Petty's last race.

Congrats Jeff Gordon and Dupont on twenty great years in NASCAR! Sadly I didn't become a fan of NASCAR until 1997 or 1998 and really didn't understand the sport until '04 when the new point system started (sadly). But Gordon has been my favorite driver since the day I became a fan of NASCAR...

This Sunday at Homestead Jeff Gordon and Dupont will have a special 20 year paint scheme...I for one can't wait to see it. Personally, I hope to get to see the car a lot and in Victory Lane when the the checkered flag drops. :D

Well I don't know how many of you would care one way or another on this but with all this negativity swirling around Jeff Gordon this week (totally disagree with it all...of course!) feel like it is time to shed some positive information on the driver of the 24 Sprint Cup car. ;)

Twenty years ago from TODAY (Thursday, November 15th) a young kid from California with a new sponsor to the sport climbed into the 24 car for Rick Hendrick. Jeff Gordon's first race was at Altanta which was the last race of the season and was also Richard "the King" Petty's last race.

Congrats Jeff Gordon and Dupont on twenty great years D

Congrats JG.

On a different subject I saw a quote in today's USA Today where Brad Keselowski said he feels naked without his cell phone. Sometimes the younger generation worries me. They're so in love with their techno devices they're more emotionally attatched to them than human beings. IT'S A STUPID PHONE BRAD. PUT IT AWAY AND OBEY THE RULES.

Congrats JG.

On a different subject I saw a quote in today's USA Today where Brad Keselowski said he feels naked without his cell phone. Sometimes the younger generation worries me. They're so in love with their techno devices they're more emotionally attatched to them than human beings. IT'S A STUPID PHONE BRAD. PUT IT AWAY AND OBEY THE RULES.

LOL Roger. EXACTLY.Don't know why he makes such a big deal over his phone...he has better things to worry about out on the track than his phone and taking and sending pictures via Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...

Well y'all, in case you are wondering (you know you are...:rofl:) there is exactly 88 more days until Daytona and the beginning of the 2013 NASCAR season. *SIGH* Don't know if I'll be able to survive my NASCAR withdrawal this season... :-o

If you are having NASCAR withdrawals as well...the chase drivers in the Sprint Cup Series are now in Las Vegas. Friday, sometime (sorry don't have the time right now...) on the SPEED channel they will have the NASCAR banquet and awards. They are interesting and fun to watch...especially if your driver is in the top ten...the top ten drivers will be at the banquet/awards. All twelve drivers will drive around Las Vegas ... though don't know if they show that part or not, can't remember really seeing it on TV.

88 more days til Daytona... :(

Well the NASCAR awards were on last night on SPEED and guess who DIDN'T get to watch it due to being sick and without cable. ME! Not fun being sick, even worse when you know you have to miss something due to it. Ah well. Don't have much to report about it other than that Jeff Gordon won the Myers Award -for lifetime contributions to stock-car racing - he is only the third active drivers to win that award. He won it for his extensive cancer fighting efforts. (I got that from NASCAR.com)

Bet y'all can't guess who won the fan voted Most Popular award...give up yet? DALE EARNHARDT JR won the most popular driver award for the tenth year in a row. That's a surprise, ain't it? ;)

Sorry for the lack of info...have watched them in the past and it is nice to see the drivers out of their uniforms and in tuxes with their wives. . .

Anyway...85 more days til Daytona! :roll: 85 long more days...

Did David Ragen win the award for "Worst Driver of the Year who had at least one win last year"?

If they don't have an award like that I think they should start....that way he'll have won something this year.

I hope you're feeling better Garrett! Sometimes when we're depressed our bodies are more suseptable to illness so I wonder if missing NASCAR has something to do with it.

Did David Ragen win the award for "Worst Driver of the Year who had at least one win last year"?

If they don't have an award like that I think they should start....that way he'll have won something this year.

I hope you're feeling better Garrett! Sometimes when we're depressed our bodies are more suseptable to illness so I wonder if missing NASCAR has something to do with it.

Sorry to disappoint you Roger, but they don't have the worst driver of the year award...besides only the top ten in points get to go the banquet. That is unless you win the most popular driver of the year award. Then you get to go. Lucky for Dale. Only the top twelve drivers get to go to Las Vegas for the victory lap.

Sorry to let you down Roger, but poor ol' David wasn't even invited to the banquet. Life's not fair, ain't it? Perhaps next year David will be invited...but first he's got to earn the invite. Or better yet, you could become a Jeff Gordon fan...seeing how his drive for five (his fifth championship) is on for next year, he has to there. In fact if he wins the championship next year he'll get to sit at the front table and get everyone to congratulate him as Keselowski did this year. Yep...next year is Gordon's year. :lol: (Well I can always hope at least, right? ;) )

I am feeling better, thank you Roger. Though you may have a point there...perhaps you could go talk to Brian France and tell him he needs to bring NASCAR back. Tell him I can't wait another 85 days for Daytona to get here.

Well don't know where to put this...there was some sort of race called the Snow ball derby today. Sounds like a lot of the younger drivers were in it. But thought of you Roger when I saw a tweet from David Ragen. Sounds like he was in it, led some laps (31), went a lap down, and finished 8th. I didn't watch it, though sounds like it was a good race to watch. Hendrick up and coming driver Chase Elliot who I have been following on FB and twitter started fifth and finished fifth. Matt Kenseth's son, Ross, was in it as well. Ross finished 11th. Erik Jones, a sixteen year old went on to win the race.

But I think what is catching everyone's attention is Kyle Busch who was in the race and finished third. By what I gathered is, is that Kyle wrecked a lot of cars today. Made a lot of people angry. Including Steven Wallace (Rusty Wallace's son) who threw a hammer at either Busch.

Like I said, don't know much that had happened...a lot of people are talking about it on Twitter right now where I got some info at as well as looking it up.

Well I guess Wallace throwing the hammer at Busch doesn't make Tony Stewart's helmet throw at Kenseth this year look so bad any more. ;)