Casting Call!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, before the next Civil War starts here on the board, let's nip this thing in the bud, ok? We all love the Dukes and we won't stand for posturing on this board as to who loves them more or who has the right to love them more or who can claim them as their own.

Sway, don't you understand that by your saying that a Yankee is incapable of "getting" the Dukes, you're giving creedence to the myth that a Southerner isn't smart enough to get "sophisticated" humor or couldn't survive in the big city. Both are simply not true. "Yankees" are capable of "getting" the Dukes. Anybody is. Just as Southerners are able to adapt to big city life. Humans are humans and by nature are an adaptable and understanding species.

You're just lucky enough to live in the culture in which the show takes place. Where you are born has no bearing on your intelligence, your understanding, your empathy. That all comes from your upbringing. I was lucky enough to be brought up by a Southerner and I do feel a connection to the South, but I do not claim it as a birthright or anything. I'm sure there are many folks out there that feel a connection to the South. Their feelings are genuine even though they may never be a true "Southerner". Instead of continuing this tirade of "this is mine, hands off", why don't we emphasis our common ground, love of the Dukes and love of the South.

Just because someone's not from England doesn't mean they can't enjoy all things English. Just because someone's not a good cook doesn't mean they can't appreciate and understand the love and hard work that goes into good barbecue.

Sway, your lack of understanding that OTHER people can understand the South hurts your heritage more than you know. It perpetuates all the bad stereotypes you hate. So why don't you share with us all the great things about your Southern heritage so we can enjoy

them too and reinforce all the great things you say about it.

*sniffs the air* Hmm, is that b.s. I smell? My heritage was hurt as soon as the South lost the War, and The North began to steal from us, and missrepresent us, and our heritage, and our History. Don't tell me 'my lack of understanding' hurts anything about me. Hell, the truth of the matter is I didn't know how DIFFERENT a Southern person was until I had the misadventure of living out West in Az and then Cali. It was then that I learned, yeah hey....things aren't the same here. These people are flippin hostile athiest liberal loons.

For a 17 year old, I found out that 9/10 Yankees believe the b.s. they here about the South. I had TEACHERS make fun of me in school, just because I speak with an accent. ((The girls however couldn't get enough of it.)) The people that keep going on with the jokes, and random b.s. CHOOSE to believe that regardless of any fact that may or may not slap them across their fool face. I have been up North to Maryland, where I listened to a radio station who liked to call Southern mechanics, and places of buisness on the air, just to make fun of us. For no reason other then to get a laugh out of the way somebody was born and raised. I went to and adapted to the way of life, and HATED it. I did my 'time' though, and got to come back home after a final trip to Japan. YOu have to live something as a way of live to really get it. Not just read about it, and watch it on t.v. The South is the South, and a Yankee is a Yankee. Eating with chopsticks won't make you Japanese, wearing Fubu won't make you black, drinking Earl Grey won't turn you into a Brit, and watching Dukes won't make you Southern. You can only ever go SO FAR with it, and What you think you know, and if you think you know, then I don't think you know. I've earned my opinion, and spilled enough blood to say what I like, for the same un-greatful Yankees that ridicule me.

Reminds me of a story. I was in Cali, and I am a country boy right? Anyway there's this guy, bout 21 I guess. From Michigan. He assumes that since I am from Georgia, that I must hate blacks, and what have you. He sits down with me at chow, and proceeds to talk to me. He tells me yeah, he's got an uncle who lives down South. Blah blah blah. The guy shows me a rebel flag tattoo'ed on his arm, and I just eat, and listen. The guy then proceeds to tell me..."Yeah Its a shame the South lost...but yeah, I got this tattoo on my arm to let the n-----s know how I feel." Uh huh, well about that time my big black buddy from Tn. stepped up behind him, and needless to see, little Mr. Yankee got up, and got outta dodge. Leroy sat down next to me and rolled his eyes. "They just don't get it do they?" I shook my head no, and grinned. Truth was Ole Leroy had a rebel flag tattoo on his arm too. Go figure. Anyway the point is that that is a clear case of missrepresenting something, and its because of little yankee twits, and 'lets all get along liberals', that I don't have my state flag anymore. To tell you the truth, I am offended by the American flag...Hell, they were flying it while my ancestors were getting killed. It offends me. We had to work under it while we share cropped with the blacks on our own damn land, that the yankees auctioned off to other yankees. They flew it while they BURNED US TO THE GROUND, and raped our women. They flew it while they called it a war about slavery, while Lincoln just days before the war, said that blacks were not equal, and said the South could keep them as long as the high tariffs and taxes were paid. TRUTH BE TOLD, the blacks were WORSE off, after the war. Had they been promised what they were due, then why wasn't equal rights an issue? Hell it wasn't until 100 YEARS LATER, that that was a BIG issue. So whatever ignorant idiot talks about the war being about slavery, needs to be...obviously...drug out and shot. Anyway, to go on that was the same flag flying while they moved the Natives out of the South, drug em out west, and slaughtered em. Yeah, I am offended by the American Flag, but I don't complain about people flying it. To each his own, and his own is where he is born and raised, and what he would die for. His own is his way of life, and his essence. I'll be straight damned to hell before you tell me I am missrepresenting the South, or anything else for that matter.

I am well traveled, and I know what I know. I say what I say, and I mean what I mean. I do not like Yankees. You can watch your little Southern shows, tout that you get it, and you can buy you're little Foxworthy tapes and cds, and wave your little rebel flags, and you can listen to your country music, and vouch for the South, you can talk about being raised by a Southerner.... You can do that all you like, but know this...We're all just laughing at you. Yankee born people that have lived their lives anywhere ut in the south, REGARDLESS of who raised them...are still Yankees. And if A Southerner is raising their child unti anywhere other then the South, then they are a Defector, and should be drug out and shot.

I am ALL FOR another Civil War. However in this day and age it would be between Conservatives, and Liberals.

You get your flag taken away from you, and you go somewhere where people diss you based off your accent, and place of birth, and you have history books preach lies about your heritage, then...THEN you come talk to me about a 'lack of understanding.' The Preacher is telling the truth and it hurts. Now, to prevent any FURTHER hostilities, I will no longer bring up things of this nature. My feelings are CLEARLY evident, and how I feel about Yankees, is CLEARLY evident. If you think I went too far, then thats your buisness, and it won't surprise me if you try to nip ole J. Reb in the bud because you don't like hearing the truth, or what he;s sayings. End of Story. I am DONE. If you don't want a return response, then don't respond. I am Done. what I have to say has been SAID. I wash my hands, dust my feet, and I am moving along.

There is no race, no culture, no creed, that can look back upon their history and claim their hands are clean.

It's not history that harms your heritage, Sway. It's your own attitude. If you think you've got the market cornered on bein' ridiculed, wronged, ripped off, or mocked, or treated differently....you're in for some awakenin' yet.

What started out as some friendly jibes back and forth has turned into somethin' ugly. I think everyone here made an effort to hear ya out and give you a chance to proudly recite your ancestry, so that we could dig it. All I've heard tho', is a lot of bitterness and hate, for events that occurred long before you were born. And I'd have to say, the incidents you've recited about yer own experience with other folk in the country are unfortunate..but hardly unique. Everyone gets teased for somethin'. If you're scarred for life because someone picked on your accent, then you're fragile as all hell.

You've indicated you're movin' on, and that's just as well. I'm not deletin' your posts, tho', because there is such a thing as freedom of speech.

You have, however, lost an opportunity to make at least one friend.

Yer loss.

Brian

So let me get this straight. Because you've been ridiculed a few times in your life because of your accent or where you're from or whatever, you now assume that all yankees are cruel and boneheaded SOB's. Dude, I'm sorry you had the misfortune to meet some crappy people in your life and that they coincidentally all existed outside of the South. But guess what? Crappy people exist everywhere, and if they can find something to pick on you about, they will. You're no different than anybody else, frankly. But to judge people in one part of the country, based on the few you've met is extremely narrowminded.

And for you to come to this board, claim to enjoy the Dukes of Hazzard and then proceed to slam those of us who aren't Southern and therefore apparently should not be allowed to walk the face of the earth, let alone enjoy the Dukes of Hazzard, let alone have the country smarts to DIG the Dukes of Hazzard, makes you no better than the type of Yanks you so hate.

So go wash your hands, dust your feet and keep movin' my friend. Maybe someday you'll learn that the world is full of SOB's. At which point it won't be just Yanks you hate. It'll be the entire human race.

Ditto here... lost opportunity to make a friend. I was offering an opportunity for you to share your heritage with us. All of us "outsiders" all know we will never be TRUE southerners. I think I distinctly said that. But that doesn't mean some of us don't have a distinct connection to the South. And if you expect someone to treat you kindly and with respect, perhaps you should do the same to others.

You don't even know the situation regarding my mother leaving the South, so I wouldn't go calling her a defector. They left during the Dust Bowl because they were farmers and didn't have anything left to farm. They packed all their worldly possessions on the back of a truck and my mama left at the age of 6. And perhaps it's attitudes like yours that kept her from ever going back.

Being angry at the world only gets you anger back. And if you're a conservative, God-fearing individual then you must be well versed in the Golden Rule. Just cuz I'm from Cali doesn't mean I'm Hollywood or a bleeding heart liberal. Just ask Bri, he knows. LOL. I don't pretend to be Southern. I already told you that. If you shout at those who are trying to be your friends, you're not gunna have a lot of friends. We all share a common bond here, and that's the show. Let's stick to that topic, ok?

Yeah, this is down home site. Everyone always feel at home here, even neighbors like me that live in Chickasaw! lol!

I just wonder about the rest of us that lives not in the North or South, but somewhere in between? I live in Oklahoma, it's not considered either one!

Everyone on this site always makes me feel at home. But anyone making rude comments about the way someone writes or what they say isn't going to help anyone feel good about themselves. It might have hurt someone's feelings. :-?

Back to the subject of Casting Call...

Who is the current cast for the movie?

I for one am not sure how this forum got off the topic that it was on. Last time I checked it was on which actors should play the role of the Dukes in the new movie. I myself don't really have an opinion other then the original cast but if that ain't going to happen then they should try as best as they can to stick to the way the show used to be. Don't make it another Starskie and Hutch - because then I will be very disapointed.

But that is just my opinion and to each his/her own.

RJ, we did get kinda distracted there, didn't we. Sorry 'bout that. We got swept up in the moment.

You're right about the S&H movie bein' an example of what we DON'T want the Dukes movie to be. The Starsky & Hutch movie was a parody at best, an insult at worst, to the original show. Tho' seeing that Ford Torino do a swan dive into the ocean was worth the price of admission.

Brian

*laughing heartily* You guys are the most eloquent bunch of posters I've ever had the pleasure of being around, and I applaud you all for words. I also agree with you . . . The Dukes are for anyone to enjoy, north or south, black white, red, young and old.

And just to add as a PS: If this southern gentleman Sway thinks being from the south is to have been stolen from and maligned . . . he should come on over to the reservation sometime and have a talk with my people.

Every culture has a story to tell, but we must remember that the past is the past, and that it is the future that's important.

Hey Brian - I haven't seen the movie and I'm not abouts to. I loved the show but now I find out that they do a swan dive with the car - that takes the movie from worse to what the hell were they thinkin? Stop making movies that are from shows and tring to make them funny - leave them be if you are going to make the movie. Otherwise you are just making somthing that will tell people the show wasn't worth it to begin with. But thats just my opinion and to each his/her own.

I'll admit, I always dug Starsky & Hutch, so when the movie version came out - I had to see it.

The original series was chock-full of melodrama and violence - and yet it had it's moments of humor. The movie took these traits and exaggerated them beyond the nth degree. It did make me laugh, tho'. I went into it knowin' that it was gonna be silly, and therefore got what I expected.

The swan dive of the Torino into the ocean was well-crafted. It was set up with this incredible launch from the pier to land on the bad guy's yacht, which would have been specatcular. Instead, Starksy hammers it a bit too hard, and the Torino makes a phenominal launch into the air and careens right over the boat, landing like a brick into the ocean. The bad guys, of course, laugh their ass off, and so did everyone in the theatre I was in. It was funny because the result was unexpected, yet totally plausible.

The biggest mistake in the flick, was the character traits weren't quite right. In the movie, Hutch was a slacking cop who would just as soon be on the other side with the bad guys. Starsky was neurotic and by-the-book. I suppose in the interest of comedy, the scriptwriter thought that messing with the core personas of these guys would be funny. But to longtime fans, that was the hardest thing to take.

I tell ya, if they do some kinda lobotomy with Bo and Luke and change their personalities in the Dukes movie, I'll be the first one to have a fit. But if the S&H movie is any indication, the car scenes will be good. I hate to say it, but I'm sure this is going to be the main focus of the movie. An hour and a half of an orange Charger tearing around a field and jumping various obstacles. Critics would be fast to point out that this is more or less true to the original show. The rest of us, howevah, know there was more to it than that.

I know I am probably a little late on this but I just joined...this is who I think should play in the movie.

Bo- John Schneider

Luke- Tom Wopat

Daisy- Catherine Bach....you get the idea.

I would like to see the "real" characters. I am so attached to these characters and if they tried to change it...it would hurt. If this movie does come out, and if John and Tom are not the "Duke Boys" then honestly I probably won't see it. This probably sounds weird but its like what John said one time, people do get attached to these characters, and its almost like they are old friends.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I was reading alot of the posts for casting, and I agree with alot of them, and some that I don't. Here are my picks...

Bo Duke.................Paul Walker

Luke Duke.............Ashton Kutcher

Daisy Duke..............Country singer Sarah Evans, or Sandra Bullock

Uncle Jessie..............Country singer Kenny Rogers, Robert Duvall

Cooter..................Billy Bob Thornton

Boss Hogg..............Danny Devito

Roscoe P. Coltrane................Will Ferrell

Enos Strate................Luke Wilson

Those are just some of my picks, I'd like to hear yall's feedback.

stoney_montana2004

First of all.....Welcome to Hazzard(net)...Hope you have good time...

I like some of your picks...reread this thread and see what a lot of other people have..

Here are mine....not complete though

Luke - Paul Walker - saw him on Dennis Miller or Jimmy Kimmel last night(can't remember which one) . He had his hair brown. Comes off as a smarter and serious person and I think that is what Luke is.

Daisy - Gretchen Wilson - I have a thread about this one..

Uncle Jesse - Robert Duvall - just a great great actor.

Boss Hogg - Danny Devito - needs speech lessons to talk with an accent though

Roscoe P Coltrane - Randy Quaid - just picture him in that role

Balladeer - Travis Tritt - I think they need somebody like that.

Bo, Enos, Cooter - I am undecided on those...I will let y'all know when I figure them out....

I like Kenny Rogers as Uncle Jesse , but Robert Duvall is one of my favorites..

Darrell

I work in radio in Canada and ran this story earlier today:

(ENT-``Dukes of Hazard''-New Actors)

The new Dukes of Hazzard have been found.

People magazine reports that Johnny Knoxville will play Luke -- the role originally played by Tom Wopat -- and Seann William Scott will play Bo -- who was first played by John Schneider.

Jessica Simpson auditioned this week to play Daisy Duke.

Burt Reynolds reportedly is a front-runner to play Boss Hogg.

I'm not sure I'm diggin' who's playin' Bo and Luke. But everything else I'd found prior to this latest, showed Paul and Anthony up to their ears in other offers and projects. So I guess the director took the Coy and Vance theory, and figured anybody could play the Dukes.

But I'll tell ya....Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg....that would be epic, and could possibly make, or save, the entire flick. Just my opinion.

Brian

I know exactly what you are saying about who is playing Bo & Luke.Burt Reynolds , not even a thought until I heard in on here, isn't that badonly if they make the movie on the more serious side and not have him as a bumbling idiot..

Johnny Knoxville - MTV's Jackass

Walking Tall (2004) w/ The Rock

Sean William Scott - The Rundown w/The Rock

American Pie, American Pie2, American Wedding as

Stifler

I can't picture Sean William Scott as Bo after seeing him in those kinds of movies....As far as Johnny Knoxville, I haven't seen Walking Tall, but had heard he was pretty good as a more serious actor...

Just the look of both of those guys as Bo & Luke has me kind of down on the new movie now. Maybe they will surprise us and be really good as the Duke boys..

Darrell