Casting Call!

Just a question....My daddy was from NY and my mama from NC..Born in NY .Lived in NC for a while,have lots of family there, now back in NY.....But really hate the Yankees, actually a Mets and Braves fan....So what does that make me??

As Hank Jr would say " Why can't we all just get a long(neck) " ....I might even buy the first round

Darrell

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well By God then. *laughs* Nothing like a good back porch debate to get things going.

First off, John Schneider made his way to Atlanta, and stayed a few years prior to auditioning. Thus he had enough time to absorb some of the South. I watch the show for Rosco mainly, but thats neither here nor there.

The point is, the show was made to be a part of the Southern Culture, and is still today.

I agree that there are yankees out there who 'get it'. Just not many, most of them watch it on grounds to amuse themselves by watching those 'ignorant hicks'.

The appeal was NOT just cars, and a hot girl. The appeal was being able to identify with, and enjoy something that relates to you. Thats on the Southern Aspect, from the Yankee side, sure it might be about cars and girls.

The car being made in Detroit means nothing. It doesn't make it a Yankee car. We all got our cars from there pretty much, at that point in time. Thats just were the Industry was for it. It's what you do with your car that counts.

Let's not get too 'technical' about trivial facts. The point is the Dukes of Hazzard is looked at in two different perspectives. The popular view, and the Southern view.

I'm sorry for holding a grudge, but I dislike yankees, and I don't want to share whats mine, or what is my heritage, not pertaining to just Dukes either. I have lived on both sides of the line, and didn't realize how much my heritage meant to me, and how much it made me, my essence, and how people look at me, UNTIL I got out of the South.

I'll never leave again.

The Dukes of Hazzard is about Country People, in a Country Way of Life, in Georgia, With deep heritage, and living a CERTAIN way of life. I relate. It doesn't made where it was filmed, or who played who, or whatever...The point is it caught on because speaking metaphorically, The South is everything California wishes it could be.

The Dukes of Hazzard BELONGS to the South. If Yankees want to watch it fine, but it's still not yours.

I love saying things like that too, because I know it kills a Yankee's day to hear it. Deep down alot of yankees wanna be Southerners, and the fact is...'They Ain't., and ain't never gonna be.' Just ask Kid Rock. Running around with Hank Jr. ain't gettin him no points with me.

Case in point, The Dukes of Hazzard was mainly successful due to the fact it was a medium, and finally Southern People had an outlet, and way to relate on t.v. Yankees for the most part loved it because they got to amuse themselves by watching those 'darned ole ignorant hicks, wonder what they'll do next....eh.'

*rolls his eyes, and whistles dixie on the way to another thread.*

Forgot to add something to my post earlier....My great, great Grandfather was a Confedrate soldier in NC and I am a member of of the Sons Of Confederate Veterans....Not bad for someone from NY....

Sway...

Maybe you should write an essay or something on the Southern culture and how you feel about it. I am sure it might make for some mighty fine reading.

And my opinion is that the Dukes belong to AMERICA, not just the south., although there is nothing wrong with claiming it.

As Hank Jr would say " Why can't we all just get a long(neck) " ....I think you are buying this round

Darrell

Your right Brian, everyone is entitled to there opinion. But what do you call an opinion that offends someone? Aint that taking it alittel too far when someone is offended or put down because of there home?

I am very proud that I come from and live in New York, an last time I checked this is America. Theres no devide between this country, theres no line between the states, we are one country.

Are you stating that we are different because one of us have an accent an the other doesnt? Are you deviding us because I live on the Northern part of a planet an you live on the Southern part? Come on..... I didnt have a choice, I couldnt decide where I was gonna be born, or where my heritage comes from.

You talk about southern heritage, well hell every one has heritage, everyone in the world has heritage! An theres more to the Dukes then 'southern people' having some place they can fit in or something on tv that they can relate to. How can you say....ok so theres yankees that 'get it'. First off theres just as many fast cars and stuff where I

live as there is where you live, I used to work on drag cars I know.

Im not gonna sit here an bore you, but dont affend someone because of there home. Im glade you got to decide where you were born, where you came from, an Im glade you got to choose your heritage. You must be special, but for the rest of us, we didnt get to choose, we live with who we are and were gonna be proud of it, its what we got.

Chet....

Good post...I think he is just trying to mess with everyone.Maybe he is just too closed minded.

There is no needfor him to come here and do that. He are all here for the same thing, DOH and family.That is what I thought this site would be all about. Granted , he is entitled to his opinions, but best thing to do is just ignore em'. You are not gonna change someone like that anyway....

Thank you Capt, I'd sit and have a beer with you anyday too. There just things that got to be said and done, an more times then not people are all talk. An a wise friend of mine that I rode horses with for many years said something that will stay with me through out my life. A simple line with and million and half meanings.

"Get er' done....Let er' buck!" Thats what he'd alwasy say.

To me it means, get up and do what ya believe is right, cause if you dont. More chances then not aint no else gonna stand up and do it.

~Thank you!

I don't know why everybody's in an uproar about Yankees.

Heck they ain't that bad of a baseball team, fact they're pretty good. (Although Kris would say the Cubbies are the best.)

*chuckles* (Sorry I had to do that. I couldn't help myself.)

Randy Quad is a good choice for the sherriff. I like his work and if he's from Texas, well there ya go. I'm sure he would be able to cover the southern flavor of his role.

Plus, I think someone mentioned in another Topic line about Gretchen Wilson being Daisy. I think they are totally right. I don't doubt that Jessica wouldn't be able to do the job but I think Ms. Wilson could do better.

Val

Val...Thank you for liking my pick of Daisy - Gretchen Wilson...I will always say she would have made a great Daisy.

Sway...Johnny Knoxville - Cooter.....That isn't bad at all. They are both a bit crazy....Did anybody see him in the remake of Walking Tall? . I am still not sure even if I want to this movie, I have been a BIG Sheriff Buford Pusser fan for a long time and Hollywood went and did this.

Darrell

Did I get here too late to join the genealogy debate? Lesseee here, I'm from Cal-ee-for-NYE-ay, by way of Arkansas (my mama was from there), Kansas, Georgia, ol' Virginny (the half that later became West Virginny), Pennsylvania, Colorado, Iowa, South Dakota, South Carolina, Missour-ah, Scotland, Ireland, England, and all parts in between. I had family fight for the confederates an' some for the union. Now I'm in Washington. So what does that make me? Hell if I know! =) Guess I'm just plain American. But I love the Dukes and I love the values portrayed on the show. And those are the values my parents taught me and I grew up with.

Of course, I've look at geeenie-olgy mayself as well. And durrin' the time of the civil war... MY great, great, great, great... (ah you get the picture), parents were in GERMANY! So does that make me a Nazi!? I mean come on... *falls off of chair laughing* Maybe I'm related to Shultz from Hogan's Hero's. Hey, maybe MA would know... *yells* MA! Can you figure my silly tail out?

Val...Thank you for liking my pick of Daisy - Gretchen Wilson...I will always say she ould have made a great Daisy.

Sway...Johnny Knoxville - Cooter.....That isn't bad at all. They are both a bit crazy....Did anybody see him in the remake of Walking Tall? . I am still not sure even if I want to this movie, I have been a BIG Sheriff Buford Pusser fan for a long time and Hollywood went and did this.

Darrell

I saw it, and I loved it.

Hey Val and Meadowmufn-

-that was too funny from both of you. I loved it, just great. .. I saw Larry The Cable Guy, not the blue collar tour movie, on comedy central over the weekend, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. He was dang funny. He might be good as Cooter, good idea...

Sway-

that is funny coming from you considering your "views" . To remake a Southern Classic like Walking Tall and put it in the Northeast and with the Rock too...I was sure you would have not liked it , since you are so dead set on the DOH is so southern...

Miss Strate...I've been tryin' to figure your silly tail out for awhile now. KHEE! =)

I know one thing. (As opposed to Schultz, who knows nuth-ing! LOL) You're a Strate, 100%. :D

And I'm definetly Coltrane. Know why? Because I royally screwed up trying to answer your post. And I ended up wiping half of it out. %$*(^%*(^!!!!!!! Argh.

I'm sorry. I swear I hit "quote" which is right next to the "edit" button and at 7:30 in the morning you'd think I'd know better than to try anything complicated! :-?

Hey Val and Meadowmufn-

-that was too funny from both of you. I loved it, just great. .. I saw Larry The Cable Guy, not the blue collar tour movie, on comedy central over the weekend, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. He was dang funny. He might be good as Cooter, good idea...

Sway-

that is funny coming from you considering your "views" . To remake a Southern Classic like Walking Tall and put it in the Northeast and with the Rock too...I was sure you would have not liked it , since you are so dead set on the DOH is so southern...

Don't get me wrong, I didn't like the fact that it was moved in the least. That was a dissappointment. The actors though, in my opinion, did a good job.

And yes the Dukes are Southern, just as is Walking Tall. The Dukes is based on being Southern. You're missing a point.

Sway

what is your point? Please tell me then. Just trying to understand you thats all. You are OK with Walking Tall, which surprises me. Dukes being southern, I get that, but it is just as much for America too, family, wrong from right, fast cars, bars, that is all over the country. It just happened to be based in the South.

Ya know a great movie that portrayed the south, was "Deliverance." One of Bert Reynolds earlier flicks.

Who can ever forget the immortal line, "Squeal like a pig!"

I'm sure Sway has this one in his collection. Heh heh.

Brian

I assume you're just trying to get me riled with that comment. However for any ignorant foool at there that thinks you're serious...That movie sucks, and is not accurate in any sense being that 'it could only happen in the South.' Thats a ripe load of fecal matter. Any of that can happen anywhere. Oddly enough its yankees that have a strange fascination with it.

As to all Yankees interested in the Dukes of Hazzard...It goes beyond cars, and bars, chicks, and American Pride. It's about the South, how the South works in a sense, Southern traditions, Southern Values, Southern History, Southern Heritage, and Southern Justice. It's a show made most popular because it is Southern, and a unqiue look at the South, which Yankees can't get enough of. The whole lot of urban cow/plow boy wannabe's.

Surprise! I have the privlage of being born, and raised in the South. Further more, I'm still here, and ain't goin' no where. I can tout my horn all day long, and thats just all there is to it. A yankee only thinks they get the Dukes, A Southerner however, really does. Yankees will never know what they're missing, because...well they're yankees.

Am I a brtoher American to my neighbours up North, and out West? No. I don't even consider myself a Modern American. I still claim the Confederacy. The war is over, yeah so what. Hostilities still run high here.

Ok, before the next Civil War starts here on the board, let's nip this thing in the bud, ok? We all love the Dukes and we won't stand for posturing on this board as to who loves them more or who has the right to love them more or who can claim them as their own.

Sway, don't you understand that by your saying that a Yankee is incapable of "getting" the Dukes, you're giving creedence to the myth that a Southerner isn't smart enough to get "sophisticated" humor or couldn't survive in the big city. Both are simply not true. "Yankees" are capable of "getting" the Dukes. Anybody is. Just as Southerners are able to adapt to big city life. Humans are humans and by nature are an adaptable and understanding species.

You're just lucky enough to live in the culture in which the show takes place. Where you are born has no bearing on your intelligence, your understanding, your empathy. That all comes from your upbringing. I was lucky enough to be brought up by a Southerner and I do feel a connection to the South, but I do not claim it as a birthright or anything. I'm sure there are many folks out there that feel a connection to the South. Their feelings are genuine even though they may never be a true "Southerner". Instead of continuing this tirade of "this is mine, hands off", why don't we emphasis our common ground, love of the Dukes and love of the South.

Just because someone's not from England doesn't mean they can't enjoy all things English. Just because someone's not a good cook doesn't mean they can't appreciate and understand the love and hard work that goes into good barbecue.

Sway, your lack of understanding that OTHER people can understand the South hurts your heritage more than you know. It perpetuates all the bad stereotypes you hate. So why don't you share with us all the great things about your Southern heritage so we can enjoy them too and reinforce all the great things you say about it.