Hazzard County cookbook, what would you put in one?

DaneyDuke

It doesn't have to be something that was made or eaten on the show.

Apple Betty

4 cups thinly sliced apples

1/4 cup orange juice

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 pinch salt

1/2 cup butter

Preheat oven to 375F degrees.

Lightly grease a 9 inch pie plate.

Mound sliced apples in the pie plate, then sprinkle with orange juice.

In a medium bowl - mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Scatter over the apples.

Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm.

All I know how to fix is roadkill Daney but I really like this idea you have here.

I wish I could remember that recipe for crawdad bisque.

Seriously, I have an Uncle Jesse recipe that I'll look up. It's from a Dukes of Hazzard book that came from England and came out in the early 80s....and we thought BoJamesDuke was the best thing to come from England.

I found them. They're called Dukes of Hazzard "Annuals" The older ones were published by Grandreams in London England and the newer ones were published by Purnell Publishers from Paulton Bristol (is that in England?) The older ones were printed in Holland and the newer ones were made in Italy. Two of the 5 that I own have recipies in them. When I get more time, I'll post Uncle Jesse's Baked Beans and Daisy's Terrific Truffles.

Here's Uncle Jesse's recipe for baked beans from the 1983 Dukes of Hazzard "Annual" by Purnell Publishing.

Ingredients needed PER PERSON

3 slices bread, butter, mustard, 1 egg, 225g (7.94 oz) can of baked beans, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 3 chipolata sausages

DIRECTIONS: Butter the bread on both sides, spread one side with mustard and cut each slice into 4 triangles.

Arrange the pieces, with mustard side facing inwards, overlapping around the edge of an individual ovenproof dish.

Beat the egg(s) in a bowl, stir in the beans and Worcestershire sauce and turn the mixture into the center of the bread.

Arrange the sausages on top then bake the dish at 190 C (350 F) for 20-30 minutes or until the sausages are brown and the bread crispy. Serve with a salad.

I don't like cooking but I like to prepare sweet and cakes, and I'm quite good in that, so there a very simple cake that you can make when you have old bread and don't know what to do with it:

(for the weight i use italian measure unit, so "g" is for gram, "l" for litre)

150 g of stale bread

1/2 l of milk

80 g of butter

1 egg

150 g of sugar

currants and/or candied fruit as you want

almond or pine-seed

cocoa

grate the bread and put it in a recipient with butter and very hot milk; when it's cold, add the sugar, the egg and mix. then add currants, candied-fruits, almond or pine-seed, and cocoa.

cook it for 25-30 minutes (it depends from your oven)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few easy recipes. I'll start with the easiest. I got this recipe from Woman's Day magazine but it sounds like something uncle Jesse would make. Fast, easy and can feed two hungry Dukes boys when served the bisque.

It's called 2-ingredient no-knead beer bread.

2 2/3 cups self-rising flour (not cake flour)

12 oz beer (a bottle) freshly opened.

- Put flour in a bowl and add beer. Stir with a rubber spatula just until flour is moistened completely.

- Scrape in lightly greased 9 x 5 x 3 in. loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes in 375F oven until top is slightly browned and pick inserted near center comes out clean.

- Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes then turn out on rack to cool completely.

I just made one and I will taste it tomorrow for breakfast. I'll tell you how it is. :) They say it makes great toast.

If anyone is interested I also have other very easy recipes like a fabulous chicken in wine sauce recipe from actor/TV host Evan Farmer, Pâté Chinois (Shepherd's pie) Quebec style and a pretty good macaroni and cheese recipe from a NHL player. Oh and Frittata (omelette) made with leftover pasta.

Shucks, those books are buried in my cedar chest. I'll get them out tomorrow. Maybe someone can tell me how rare they are. I've always wondered about them because I've never seen any other ones like 'em.

You got me curious so I Googled Dukes of Hazzard Annual and there are a few for sale here and there. Mostly on British sites and the British side of Ebay and Amazon. They sell for about 4 to 5 GPB or

8 .00 $to 10.00$ US each.

Do yours look like these:

www.angelfire.com/.../products.html

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the recipe for "Daisy's Terrific Truffles" from Purnell Publishing's Dukes of Hazzard "Annual" from 1985.

You'll need:

For the truffles:

225g (8 oz) sponge cake crumbs

50g (2 oz) walnuts, toasted hazlenuts, or almonds (finely chopped)

3 tablespoons cocoa powder

4 tablespoons set honey

1-2 tablespoons orange juice

For the cocoa: cocoa powder or drinking chocolate or desiccated coconut

(This amount of mixture makes 24 truffles)

Directions:

1) Put all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl

2) Work everything together until you have a firm even mixture. You might find it easiest to start with a wooden spoon, then use your clean hands as the mixture becomes firmer.

3) Divide the mixture into 4

4) Out of each section of mixture make 6 small balls, rolling them in your hands until they are nicely rounded.

5) Roll the balls in your chosen coating

6) Chill in the fridge for a few hours before eating.

Daisy likes to serve these truffles for Halloween but they're good any time of year!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! What an amazing thread! Thanks to the person who started this thread, sorry, but I forget who that was! :p This is such a great idea, and I can say that I've found some wonderful recipes. And, thanks to all who shared and will be sharing recipes in the future.

I can't wait to try some of these recipes!

Laura Duke:D

Black Gold fesitval? its only something around here in Kentucky least I think LOL! Anyways, Black gold is basically coal, and Kentucky and West Virginia are rich in coal. So, we have our annual Black Gold Festival in September, its really great many bands or artists come and perform. We've had alot in the past, and our very own Tom Wopat and the other stars except for Denver Pyle because he was sick, came down. And they loved it..except for Daisy...she was the only one that didnt like it...anyways lol get off y history lesson here...

Funnel Cake

1/4 cup self rising flour

1/8 cup sugar

2/3 cups milk

1 egg, slightly beaten

vegetable oil ( pour in the skillet til about half way up)

sifted powedered sugar

Combine flour,sugar,milk, and eggs in a bowl, beating until smooth. Heat 1/4 inch oil to 375 degress in a skillet. Cover bottom opening of a funnel with a finger. Pour 1/4 cup batter into funnel. Hold funnel over skillet. Remove finger from the bottom of the funnel to release into the hot ioil. BE CAREFUL AND DONT LET YOUR OIL GET TOO HOT! get the end of a wooden spoon and put it in the middle of the oil, if small bubbles form around the spoon its hot enough. Move the batter in a spiral shape. Fry each one until both sides are golden brown. Drain them on a paper towel. Repeat with remaning batter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm.

** Batter should be "runny" like cake batter and should pour freely from a funnel or liquid measuring cup if batter does not pour freely gradually add more milk.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, I know this sounds really disgusting, and I didn't really expect to be able to force myself to taste it the first time, but it is really good. It sounded like something Boss Hogg would eat.:)

1/2 lb Velveeta

1c (2 sticks) butter

1 c creamy peanut butter

1tsp. vanilla extract

1c chopped nuts (I used pecans in mine)

2 (16oz. each) boxes of confectioners sugar

Line a 9 by 2 -inch square pan with tin foil, and lightly spray with cooking spray. In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the cheese until it has just started to get creamy, then add the butter and melt completely.Add peanut butter and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and add vanilla and nuts.

Empty sugar into a large bowl and add cheese mixture. Stir until it is completely incorporated. ( It works better to stir it for a minute or two, then finish with your hands.) The candy will be very stiff.

Remove candy from the bowl and press firmly and evenly into the pan. Pat top of the fudge with a paper towel to remove the excess oil.

Refrigerate until firm.

Like I said, I know how it sounds, but it kind of tastes like a no-bake oatmeal cookie! (My favorite, but this is much easier, and doesn't tend to fail if the weather dosen't cooperate.)

• 1 month later...

This is a great recipe for cornbread, you can really taste the corn flavor in it. Great with pinto beans.

Southern Style Cornbread:

3/4 cup corn meal

1 cup flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. cream of tartar

3/4 tsp salt

1 cup milk

1 egg well-beaten

2 tbs. bacon grease or lard, melted

Mix and sift dry ingredients; add milk, egg and grease, bake in shallow buttered pan 20 minutes at 425 degrees F or until dry spaghetti strand inserted in center comes out clean.