Radio Control Dukes cars

Jim85IROC

14 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Great posts. Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress.....despite the occasional setbacks. Keep up the good work. 

I suppose what you mean by " Occasional setbacks" , is me! Well I'll tell you Cuz....I was sitting over in the corner, quietly watching the man do his work! ( Even lit up, I could tell ahead of time, it was going to look great! :) ), so don't give me the business  about settiing him back....I just needed a place to sit when things started to spin! :)   :drunk::drunk::drunk:

10 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

I suppose what you mean by " Occasional setbacks" , is me! Well I'll tell you Cuz....I was sitting over in the corner, quietly watching the man do his work! ( Even lit up, I could tell ahead of time, it was going to look great! :) ), so don't give me the business  about settiing him back....I just needed a place to sit when things started to spin! :)   :drunk::drunk::drunk:

LOL. No, I wasn't talking about that. You know I would never say anything bad about you Hobie.....ummm, except saying I can beat you in MarioKart. I was actually talking about the occasional setbacks like the mention of the chrome paint on the bumper not working out. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 10:00 PM, RC General Lee said:

Would it be possible for me to get some measurements for the Kyosho Fazer General Lee body/chassis, specifically the wheelbase, width of the wheel wells, and the distance beteween the front and rear wheel wells, as the picture shows, thanks.image.thumb.png.2eaae97ea70325a719222d6b1fcfe210.png

I'll see if I can get these today

The RJ Speed General is done. It definitely doesn't look as good as the Kyosho, but considering how boxy and flat this body was, I'm pretty happy with the result. This should make a great jump car. 

52859209376_f44880ec88_z.jpg
52858632827_3aeb87bd91_z.jpg
52859387304_cb4ff4580a_z.jpg
52859210606_8cd2fcac84_z.jpg
52859209966_49384c58d9_z.jpg
52859600105_ce56b5a85e_z.jpg

I built chassis wings from Kydex that the bidy velcros to in order to help pull it in and give it a more rounded profile.  You can also see the push bar mount and a rear filler panel.  I also painted the inside of the body black to make the underside look better when it jumps.
52859652128_2ff578c1df_z.jpg
52859387764_5824db38ab_z.jpg

On 4/5/2023 at 10:00 PM, RC General Lee said:

Would it be possible for me to get some measurements for the Kyosho Fazer General Lee body/chassis, specifically the wheelbase, width of the wheel wells, and the distance beteween the front and rear wheel wells, as the picture shows, thanks.image.thumb.png.2eaae97ea70325a719222d6b1fcfe210.png

Wheelbase is 274mm.  Wheel well openings are about 80mm and the distance between wheel wells is about 190mm

Just now, RC General Lee said:

Traxxas 4 tec 2.0 vxl

Yeah, those are too wide for most normal onroad bodies.  The RJ Speed body I just did should work with the right combo of 4-tec parts.  Some of them had 274mm wheelbases, and some used a wider 200-210ish track width.  If you can get a long chassis and swap the wide arms & axles it should be about right for the RJ body.

1 minute ago, Jim85IROC said:

Yeah, those are too wide for most normal onroad bodies.  The RJ Speed body I just did should work with the right combo of 4-tec parts.  Some of them had 274mm wheelbases, and some used a wider 200-210ish track width.  If you can get a long chassis and swap the wide arms & axles it should be about right for the RJ body.

Yeah, I right now an using the team bluegroove body, which is supposed to be like 185mm so smaller, and I just cut out the wheel wells bigger with the wheels protruding, but as it's real world track is closer to 190/195mm, I was wondering if the "190mm"of the kyosho body might have meant more like 200/205mm real world measurements

1 minute ago, RC General Lee said:

Yeah, I right now an using the team bluegroove body, which is supposed to be like 185mm so smaller, and I just cut out the wheel wells bigger with the wheels protruding, but as it's real world track is closer to 190/195mm, I was wondering if the "190mm"of the kyosho body might have meant more like 200/205mm real world measurements

I'll check next time I go out to the garage, but I think the Kyosho and TBG bodies are just about the same width.

Edited by Jim85IROC

Just now, Jim85IROC said:

I'll check next time I go out to the garage, but I think the Kyosho and TBG bodies are just about the same width.

Ok thanks, because they do build in extra room, because the tires are 190mm wide, so they make the bodies a little wider so the tires don't rub, how much wider varies by manufacturer, but some definitely make it more then is needed, and all I really need is like 5 more mm!

On 4/30/2023 at 7:08 PM, RC General Lee said:

Ok thanks, because they do build in extra room, because the tires are 190mm wide, so they make the bodies a little wider so the tires don't rub, how much wider varies by manufacturer, but some definitely make it more then is needed, and all I really need is like 5 more mm!

Total track width on the Kyosho measures about 205-206mm front and rear with the 6mm offset wheels.  Total width on the one with the RJ Speed body is 205mm front with 0mm offset wheels and about 215mm rear with 6mm offset wheels.

1 minute ago, Jim85IROC said:

Total track width on the Kyosho measures about 205-206mm front and rear with the 6mm offset wheels.  Total width on the one with the RJ Speed body is 205mm front with 0mm offset wheels and about 215mm rear with 6mm offset wheels.

Ok, that is promising, and the wheels can still retract into the body when the suspension is depressed? (They aren't rubbing on the body)

2 minutes ago, RC General Lee said:

Ok, that is promising, and the wheels can still retract into the body when the suspension is depressed? (They aren't rubbing on the body)

Yeah, the Kyosho has about 3-5mm per side at the wheel well openings, obviously less as you go further into the wheel well.

With the 0mm offset wheels on the Traxxas maybe you'll be able to fit the body.

Edited by Jim85IROC

6 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

So cool that you guys are posting all this. Does anybody remember what episode it is where the General Lee is a full sized radio controlled car? The bad guys hooked up a gizmo to it. I must be getting old. I can't think of which ep it was.

It was 'Danger on the Hazzard Express' in the final season.