Jump to content

Boy’s Best Friend Creepy Voice?


Recommended Posts

Just watched A Boy’s Best Friend last night. I remember this one from when it originally aired and I’ve seen it probably once since. Cute episode with the “Flashes”. But, I’d forgotten that they’d overdubbed Danny Cooksey’s (Terry Lee’s) voice, with what sounds like a creepy grown woman trying to sound like a little boy. Why?? :confused:  I’ve never understood that...he was a child actor and did many other projects—& his voice wasn’t “strange” or off-sounding at all. Why would they need to dub it with someone else...especially with how bizarre & fake it sounded? :blink: It actually kind of “throws” the episode...with what otherwise might have been one of the most heart-felt ones. :wacko: 

Edited by MonacoMan
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hobie Harkins said:

I've heard his voice on commercials as well...or somewhere else...it's hard to mistake ….very irritating....this is one of those episodes that I don't like ( although it doesn't come close Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Duke or 2-3 others.)

Danny Cooksey was on Different Strokes for a while, and did other TV movies and projects at the time. I don’t ever remember his voice being irritating? One TV movie I remember him in was the Dolly Parton & Lee Majors Christmas movie A Smoky Mountain Christmas, which was supposed to be about a mountain/backwoods area...and his voice would have been perfect for “Dukes”. Plus, the voice they used to dub over his in this episode is VERY irritating and even kind of creepy! I still don’t get it?? :blink: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

The voice was done by June Foray. It's quite possible that Danny's voice wasn't picked up very well by the mics and he wasn't available for looping on the production's schedule, so they had to bring in June.

Interesting! Perhaps this is true, but they should have gotten another boy, as “June” is really creepy & bizarre for the voice of Terry Lee. :cornfused: As I said before, it kind of “throws” or ruins the episode. :wacko: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MonacoMan said:

Danny Cooksey was on Different Strokes for a while, and did other TV movies and projects at the time. I don’t ever remember his voice being irritating? One TV movie I remember him in was the Dolly Parton & Lee Majors Christmas movie A Smoky Mountain Christmas, which was supposed to be about a mountain/backwoods area...and his voice would have been perfect for “Dukes”. Plus, the voice they used to dub over his in this episode is VERY irritating and even kind of creepy! I still don’t get it?? :blink: 

Different Strokes! THAT'S where I heard him before!!  Yes, you're right!  It was weird! I just don't like the way his voice whines and drones. It's a " Please feel sorry for me" type of whine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 6:36 PM, Hobie Harkins said:

Different Strokes! THAT'S where I heard him before!!  Yes, you're right!  It was weird! I just don't like the way his voice whines and drones. It's a " Please feel sorry for me" type of whine. 

I’ve seen his Different Strokes episodes, Smoky Mountain Christmas TV movie, & other things he’s been in. His voice was not weird or “whiny”...I don’t understand why it needed to be dubbed over?? Even so, the voice they ‘did’ use was seriously creepy and bizarre! They should have used Danny’s real voice. 

On 11/26/2019 at 7:26 PM, RogerDuke said:

 

Hobie's into shine not wine!

Lol...never had shine (not illegal shine, anyway) but I do like wine! :-P

4 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Right now I'm enjoying a cheap beer...Natural Ice....   ;)   

Right now I’m enjoying some Budweiser while watching “Dukes” (in bottles that is...no cans! Kind of a beer-snob, lol)! :cheers: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just remembered that Sorrell Booke (aka Boss) directed this episode! Why he would have been okay with the bizarre dubbed-voice is also beyond me? :blink: Even if, for whatever reason that I still don’t understand, they felt they needed to dub Danny Cooksey’s voice with someone else’s...why wouldn’t they get another boy’s voice? Just some more Hazzard-food for thought. :p

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 11:32 PM, MonacoMan said:

I just remembered that Sorrell Booke (aka Boss) directed this episode! Why he would have been okay with the bizarre dubbed-voice is also beyond me? :blink: Even if, for whatever reason that I still don’t understand, they felt they needed to dub Danny Cooksey’s voice with someone else’s...why wouldn’t they get another boy’s voice? Just some more Hazzard-food for thought. :p

Speaking of Scooby Doo...Sorrelll was the voice of the Sheriff ( who looked like the real Sorrel/Boss) in Scooby Doo Meets The Boo Brothers. That one was dark and a  WEEEE bit scary! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 11:13 PM, RogerDuke said:

You always bring up some interesting subjects MM. The very fact that you think about these things is proof what a big fan you are. Hey, wait a second, MM is what I usually call Meadowmufn, our Supreme Superior Commander. 

Definitely a huge fan...lived & breathed Dukes when it was on, growing up!! :D I don’t know everything by any means, but I love to digress episodes, characters, plots, cars, etc... :tup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...
On 11/26/2019 at 3:23 AM, Meadowmufn said:

The voice was done by June Foray. It's quite possible that Danny's voice wasn't picked up very well by the mics and he wasn't available for looping on the production's schedule, so they had to bring in June.

Meadowmufn... Didn't she play in Gilligan's Island S1E4 Goodnight, Skipper as the voice of lady pilot Alice McNeil of the plane called The Vagabond Lady?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Meadowmufn... Didn't she play in Gilligan's Island S1E4 Goodnight, Skipper as the voice of lady pilot Alice McNeil of the plane called The Vagabond Lady?

The Gilligan's Island fandom site lists June Foray as Alice McNeil in 'Goodnight Sweet Skipper', but while IMDb agrees, it says that her part was uncredited.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 12:32 AM, MonacoMan said:

I just remembered that Sorrell Booke (aka Boss) directed this episode! Why he would have been okay with the bizarre dubbed-voice is also beyond me? :blink: Even if, for whatever reason that I still don’t understand, they felt they needed to dub Danny Cooksey’s voice with someone else’s...why wouldn’t they get another boy’s voice? Just some more Hazzard-food for thought. :p

The episode's editor and series producers most likely had more to do with that than Sorrell Booke. Since he was also a main character in the series he probably was not in the editing room as much as a non-actor director.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Spike said:

The episode's editor and series producers most likely had more to do with that than Sorrell Booke. Since he was also a main character in the series he probably was not in the editing room as much as a non-actor director.

Possibly...but either way, I still don’t understand why they dubbed Danny Cooksey’s voice with the weird one they did? It sounds creepy...like it’s an adult trying to do a little girl’s voice, but they use it for a little boy. :wacko: It does not come across believable or “right”. I’ve seen/heard Danny in many other things back then, and he didn’t have a “bad” or unusable voice, so not sure why the dubbing was done? :confused:

Edited by MonacoMan
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.