Hughie Hogg's VW Beetle -- Work In Progress

Andrew D Charger Chaser

Ever notice how often the kit vinyl tires come nice and glossy, when the real ones are usually quite the opposite?  A good treatment of sandpaper all over helps, then later a scraping of the tread through sand-dirt outside the front door.  The wheel hubs are painted, then detailed including a light wash of watercolor sludge with soap to make it stick.

LZRQg7R.jpg

j38g9j7.jpg

G5nhd1n.jpg

• 2 months later...

Gettin' there, folks!

First, windscreen had to be made from scratch, since the windscreen frame was significantly widened from the Revell Classic VW kit.  Thankfully, it's flat, so, not impossible.  Started with the original windscreen, traced it, then added the appropriate fill plug, on paper.  Then, cut the new shape from packaging from something-or-other that my lovely wife bought (no idea what, it was in the recycling).

sq7yvhE.jpg

W6jIyup.jpg

lQxU2mb.jpg

Next, the bumpers.  Closest option of the 3 kits is the Aoshima, except these represent the slightly later style with embedded lights. 

Removed the chrome with bleach, grind off the rubber strip (too wide), fill the light slots, add a new rubber strip.  Prime, spray black, mask the rubber strip and spray Alclad chrome.

y5iuABH.jpg

4a2EUo1.jpg

3zxvNMt.jpg

ZaiI6OS.jpg

lLtUHA8.jpg

CaZ4bv2.jpg

I can't add anymore emoticons today....but IF I could, I'd give you 2!! A heart, because I love this stuff and a thanks, because you make it look so real!! WOW!  

* Hey Andrew ! I haven't seen you in a while!  Good to see you! Don't be a stranger!!   :) 

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

Posted (edited)

Hobie, you're too kind, thank you brother!

Just had no idea this would take 3 years.... 🤦‍♂️

Been tough to keep up, there's always PLENTY going on.  Besides projects like these, I teach, I'm a musician, I'm a speaker/presenter, and just finished my first book (about to seek a publisher).  No doubt y'all have plenty on your plates as well!

Thrilled to see the A-Z game is still going :D

Edited by Andrew D Charger Chaser

, I teach, I'm a musician, I'm a speaker/presenter, and just finished my first book (about to seek a publisher).  No doubt y'all have plenty on your plates as well!

WOW! What's you're book about? What do you do musically? ( I sing, you see)    I've always looked up to you for your ability.....but WOW!!  This is amazing! 

Lol well...now I'm feeling selfish for saying...I spent almost 2 decades with the last survivors of the USS Arizona (which is also what I speak and present about).  So, I've got stories about them that most folks have never heard, plus my experiences with them. 

I'm a flutist and composer/arranger.  What sorts do you sing, then?

On 7/23/2024 at 8:44 PM, Andrew D Charger Chaser said:

Lol well...now I'm feeling selfish for saying...I spent almost 2 decades with the last survivors of the USS Arizona (which is also what I speak and present about).  So, I've got stories about them that most folks have never heard, plus my experiences with them. 

I'm a flutist and composer/arranger.  What sorts do you sing, then?

Oh my goodness! I can only imagine the stories you have heard. Thank you so much for preserving their legacy. 

I also dabble in writing. I wrote a romantic fiction 30 years ago. Never tried to get it published but family and friends liked it. I have also worked on and off for 15 years on a book that deals with what moral values might be like on other planets....similiar to C S Lewis's space trilogy. It would be labeled Christian science fiction. Also, have had hundreds of letters to the editor in several newspapers and magazines over 4 decades. The only time I ever got paid was a piece I did for Astronomy magazine.....$200. Didn't even expect money for it! 

Edited by RogerDuke

Impressive Roger, very unique project, I hope it goes as it should!  And, your 200 is about 200 more than I've made so far....getting some folks to read mine before I approach a publisher.  Blessings on all you're doing!

The rest of the glass is from the Aoshima kit; just gotta cut the forward sections off and discard the rest.  Once black is applied for the rubber lining, I use BareMetal Foil for the metal bits.  Then, all the glass is tinted with a special blend of Clear Floor Polish, food coloring and acrylic thinner.

dP4vjFi.jpg

uwKThcX.jpg

YnqqVRI.jpg

Now, here's how I make headlights.  I take the appropriate size acrylic rhinestone/gemstone.  Make sure it's acrylic and not glass.  Use sandpaper to remove the facets, then "paint" with clear floor polish.  Voila. :D

SvvhssQ.jpg

io4iRWC.jpg

b5wyEid.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Okay, while making the horns, I still had to keep readjusting, as I realized they were a bit too long out to the sides.  Finally got the bodywork on it sorted, and painted.  I deliberately used brush painting for the central mount, as from the photos it appears to have that "wrapped" look.

rQ7auuy.jpg

4TZgsx3.jpg

c8wWhu9.jpg

Had a license plate made by a decal company that does custom work.  Turns out they were not waterslide decals, but photo decals in which you use the paper backing.  So, I used bare metal foil for the reverse side of the plate, in case anyone was able to glance behind it from one of the corners.

ErJBJod.jpg

Edited by Andrew D Charger Chaser

Thank you!  Only thing left is needing to redo the chrome trim around the windscreen....just came out looking horrible, and it's not easy to redo.  I'm relieved at the rest of it, just not ready to let that one area spoil the rest of this. 

After that, a bit more airbrushing to add some road dust.

Started to put on the windshield wipers then realized from my photos of the real thing that the WB crew had removed them.  Interesting.