Doing a paper on the Dukes of Hazzard and i need help

Bo Duke (01)

Hi This is Bo Duke (01) but my real name is Jeff Camp Jr and i am a big fan of the dukes of hazzard and i need help i am doing a paper on the dukes of hazzard for my college class Introduction to Sociology and i need information on culture and how it all came about. Also i need why they want the flag off the car plus when they are coming back on the tv. So any help will be very useful to me to help write my paper. Thanks in advice.

1969 dodge charger.jpeg

Welcome to HNet, Jeff.

I'm sure the answers to a lot of your questions have already been posted here if you have the time to look. We can point you in the right direction if you're stuck. You could also try to get hold of a copy of "The Dukes of Hazzard: The Unofficial Companion" by David Hofstede. Used copies can be had on Amazon for under $5 (it's currently $15.75 new).

The death knell for the Dukes on TV and the flag on the car was the Charleston church shootings by Dylann Roof, although Warner Bros had been actively changing the packaging of Dukes related merchandize for years to hide the Confederate flag. Following the events in Charlottesville, VA last week, I can't see Dukes returning to US TV screens anytime soon, because the flag and General Lee (the man, not the car) are still very emotive issues at the moment. As I said above, the subject has been covered in the threads here in some depth.

8 hours ago, HossC said:

The death knell for the Dukes on TV and the flag on the car was the Charleston church shootings by Dylann Roof, although Warner Bros had been actively changing the packaging of Dukes related merchandize for years to hide the Confederate flag. Following the events in Charlottesville, VA last week, I can't see Dukes returning to US TV screens anytime soon, because the flag and General Lee (the man, not the car) are still very emotive issues at the moment. As I said above, the subject has been covered in the threads here in some depth.

Yeah Dukes is pretty much dead on Broadcast TV thanks to the slime ball(and every other name not fit for family websites) white supremacists who decided to steal the confederate battle flag for their sick agenda. I wouldn't be surprised if WB stops sales of the DVD's. I was going to wear one of my Dukes of Hazzard T shirts last weekend but at the last minute Saturday morning I put on one of my Homer Simpson ones. I can imagine the looks I would have received that afternoon at a local community fair if I wore the DoH one, they will be sitting in the closet for a few months till all this Confederate Battle Flag has got to go stuff dies down again.

Any time you try to destroy somebody's culture civil unrest follows. Most southern folks view statues as representative of southern culture not slavery. People who don't agree with that view are in the drivers seat so they now have the power to destroy that culture. I fear this will get worse before it gets better. Dukes fans view the Confederate flag as not only a symbol of culture but a symbol of our favorite show as well. Politically correct people are deceiving folks by making Dukes fans look like racists. They're getting away with it because there are enough closed-minded people in America who believe them. These folks have likely never seen a single episode of Dukes but they judge it anyways. That is as stupid as being on a jury but not being wiling to hear a single witness or see a single piece of evidence.

The really stupid thing is that people still believe it was all about slavery! This is only one proof that it couldn't have been about slavery ( There are many!):

There were more anti-slavery societies in the South than in the north. Why? Because more people here resented slavery because most people here were poor and couldn't afford slaves and they had to compete with the rich people who could afford slaves and bring more things ( produce, livestock, farm products, etc.) to market and do it cheaper! It was the 1800's version of Walmart vs. the mom and pop shop!

* They are now creating fake history by producing supposed documents which talk about the Southern people wanting slavery etc. This " Proves" the war was about slavery, never mind  the fact that the slavery institution was on it's way out even before the war started because it is an economically  untenable mechanism!

I have become so full of anger I must look like I'm as angry as the hate groups who hate the hate groups (doesn't that make them hate groups as well?) America's history is being rewritten before our eyes. Someday the Founding Fathers will be viewed as villains and their faces will be removed from history books, money, schools and anything else for that matter. Washington DC will be renamed because George owned slaves. History books will be rewritten to demonize every historical figure from the 1700s. This thing won't stop anytime soon. I can't let my anger boil over here and since I can't resist giving my opinion I think I should take a break from the HazzardNet. I don't know how long I'll be gone but since I don't have anything good to stay I shouldn't say anything. Maybe I'll cool down in a week or so and be back. If I can go a week without watching the twisted distorted television news that would help. Take care everybody. 

Edited by RogerDuke

A very small minority of the southern population owned slaves, and those that did were very wealthy. It makes no sense that the southerners who were too poor to even be decently clothed would leave their wife and kids for months or years at a time to do battle just so a few wealthy plantation owners could still have slaves. Give me a break!!!

I know this isn't exactly answering the original poster's request, but I thought this perspective added to the current conversation in the news at the moment. 

I have never wasted my time thinking of all the things around me that I could get offended about, and if I took the time to enumerate them all, I'm sure there are many. It just takes too much energy. I conserve my limited energy for important things, like family and making a living.

The past is not something you can change, only something you can learn from.

"One cannot and must not try to erase the past merely because it does not fit the present." - Golda Meir 

George Santayana also had some very sage advice regarding history...

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

18 hours ago, Rollman said:

A very small minority of the southern population owned slaves, and those that did were very wealthy. It makes no sense that the southerners who were too poor to even be decently clothed would leave their wife and kids for months or years at a time to do battle just so a few wealthy plantation owners could still have slaves. Give me a break!!!

Less than 2% of the population owned slaves. They resented the rich having slaves to work for them and give them an unfair advantage, so they left their families and risked their lives in a war to protect the slavery institution.....makes sense to me!......( NOT!)