2014 NASCAR Race Review and Results

Garrett Duke

Well Hoss...thanks for your view of what happened as well as Lizzy. Obviously I don't agree completely with you, but do see where you are coming from. Also know that I am biased seeing how I am a huge Jeff Gordon fan. But there is more to it than just being a Gordon fan that has made me upset. See where you thought Gordon went down...I thought that too and did look into it. They were going in the turn where they have to go down at, Keselowski knew that and went for it anyway and got into Gordon. But I guess that is a racing incident and is OK with NASCAR. Truth is of what I heard, Keselowski got into both Gordon and Johnson. Well y'all can guess how I feel about that too...just glad JJ won the race.

OK, I already said more than what I was going to say. When I read Hoss's reply had thought of coming back with what I thought, but feel like there is no need. You know where I stand. I stand with Gordon all the way. As I said, thank you for you both for weighin in on how you feel about it. And also as I said, I see where both of you are coming from and respect it.

I don't agree with Gordon fighting or anyone...but this is what NASCAR wants. Or at least what they are asking ffor with this new championship format...and their lack of a punishment towards Keselowski a couple of weeks ago also expresses it to everyone, that NASCAR won't step in and punish Keselowksi themselves...well...

Not saying I agree with it, but when as much is on the stake for everyone, stuff like this is going to happen. Despite the penalties, I am sure NASCAR is loving all this attention. It was even on the ffront page off Yahoo that someone sent a picture on FB of.

With all that said, I am and always will be a Jeff Gordon fan and supporter. He don't get mad at just anything or at nothing...just like Kenseth a couple of weeks ago when he went after Brad. Kenseth and Gordon are pretty laid back and don't cause much trouble or say anything about anyone...so when they react, well, you know there is a reason behind.

OK I will shut up...I came here to report the penalties that NASCAR has FINALLY handed down. Hated this long wait knowing something was coming. Especially after all that has been on FB from sitting Gordon out at Phoenix this weekend to docking points. Which I doubted they would do that, but with NASCAR you don't know what they will do. Especially when they reported over and over that Keselowski did nothing wrong.

So...

Crew members from Gordon and Kahne has been punished. Jeremy Fuller from Kahne's crew with Dwayne Doucette and Jason Ingle ffrom Gordon's has been fined $25,000 and suspended from NASCAR through six points races. Their offense is actions against or to stock car racing as well as behaviorial penalty for their altercation in the fight.

Dean Mozingo from Gordon's crew was ffined $10,000 ands upsended through the completion off the next three Sprint Cup point racesfor about the same thing.

Kenny Francis, cc for Kahne, and Alan Gustafson cc for Gordon has been ffined $50,000 and placed on probation through the the next six point NASCAR races. Which is the ones I don't really agree with. It comes down to it that they are fined because they are suppose to have complete control of their entire team...as well as the same as as their actions being against NASCAR and for behavior penalty.

So far, I see nothing against Gordon or against Harvick. So I guess, this is better than what I was expectingf and am somewhat happy for. But sad to see their crew members suspended and fined...and their crew cheifs. I just hope this is the end of it and that we don't see anything more in Phoenix and Homestead.

Nothing for the 2 team...which doesn't surprise me. Though does make me wonder why Gordon's crew got punished for punching as well as Kahne's when whoever punched Gordon got away with nothing. That kinda irritates me...because obviously Gordon got punched out the whole ordeal. I have seen different angles of the fight and I don't think either driver punched anyone...which leaves the crews. So I am not really saying Keselowski should be punished, but whoever punched Gordon, should have gotten something. My opinion...I know it isn't worth much.

I'll just shut up for now and be grateful Gordon wasn't penalized or Kahne for that matter. Never was a Kevin Harvick fan, but have to say he gained some respect from me Sunday night and am glad he didn't get fined. Though do wonder if all this would have been avoided if it wasn't ffor his shove, but also see where he he is coming from.

I don't agree with fighting, but am proud how my Hendrick teams support each other and are there for each other. As I said...I just hope this is over for Gordon and that he can race his way into the Chase at Homestead with a chance at his fifth championship.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2014/11/4/nascar-sprint-cup-series-texas-motor-speedway-penalties.html

This isn't the article I read, but it is ffrom the same site with most off the info, if not more so. I hope y'all aren't mad at me for expressing my opinions. I probably should never have said anything, but was just really upset at it all. Still am. but am ready to move on and get to Phoenix...fingers crossed for a drama free and great race! :)

Well Hoss...thanks for your view of what happened as well as Lizzy. Obviously I don't agree completely with you, but do see where you are coming from. Also know that I am biased seeing how I am a huge Jeff Gordon fan.

I'd probably feel different about things if it was my driver getting a puncture so close to the end of the race.

But there is more to it than just being a Gordon fan that has made me upset. See where you thought Gordon went down...I thought that too and did look into it. They were going in the turn where they have to go down at, Keselowski knew that and went for it anyway and got into Gordon. But I guess that is a racing incident and is OK with NASCAR.

I'm sure you're right that Gordon was just taking the normal racing line, but he should have been aware that Keselowski was there.

Nothing for the 2 team...which doesn't surprise me. Though does make me wonder why Gordon's crew got punished for punching as well as Kahne's when whoever punched Gordon got away with nothing. That kinda irritates me...because obviously Gordon got punched out the whole ordeal. I have seen different angles of the fight and I don't think either driver punched anyone...which leaves the crews. So I am not really saying Keselowski should be punished, but whoever punched Gordon, should have gotten something. My opinion...I know it isn't worth much.

I haven't studied all the available camera angles, but it's possible that Gordon's injury was the result of an elbow or shoulder in the face which the perpetrator didn't even know about. It's quite easy to get hurt in a brawl without being punched!

I don't agree with Gordon fighting or anyone...but this is what NASCAR wants. Or at least what they are asking for with this new championship format...and their lack of a punishment towards Keselowski a couple of weeks ago also expresses it to everyone, that NASCAR won't step in and punish Keselowksi themselves...well...

NASCAR obviously love the attention that this is getting, so why not change things around at Miami Homestead. Instead of a race, the drivers will line up and take turns to punch Brad Keselowski until this year's champion is decided. It would be a lot more environmentally friendly :).

I was surprised that Gordon didn't get fined for his language, but to paraphrase one comment I read, he shouldn't get punished for telling the truth ;).

For the penultimate race of the year, qualifying was split into two sessions: one of 30 minutes and one of 10 minutes.

Jeff Gordon briefly had the best time of the first session, but ended up sixth. Kevin Harvick set the fifth quickest time, despite taking one hand off the wheel to shield his eyes from the sun. With the sun getting lower in the sky, many drivers put pieces of tape on their windshields to act a makeshift sun visors for their second runs. No one hit the wall or had a spin, but Tony Stewart's car did have a little wiggle on his way to qualifying 29th. Ricky Stenhouse Jr's second run moved him up from 35th to 16th, although he got pushed down to 18th by the end. Chase driver Carl Edwards made a late run, but couldn't improve on his 13th place. Ryan Newman was the other Chase driver to miss the cut - he'll start in 20th place. Once again, Joey Logano got a new lap record with the fastest time of the first session.

The second qualifying session was uneventful. A couple of drivers went out early, but most chose to wait until the last few minutes to set a time. This week it was Denny Hamlin who set the fastest time to claim his third pole of the year. He'll be joined on the front row by Brad Keselowski. Kyle Busch's sixth place made him the only non-Chase driver in the top seven, just ahead of Jeff Gordon.

Here's the final starting lineup (Chase drivers are highlighted in yellow):

1. Denny Hamlin

2. Brad Keselowski

3. Kevin Harvick

4. Joey Logano

5. Matt Kenseth

6. Kyle Busch

7. Jeff Gordon

8. Kyle Larson

9. Brian Vickers

10. Kurt Busch

11. Paul Menard

12. Casey Mears

13. Carl Edwards

14. Martin Truex Jr

15. Jimmie Johnson

16. Dale Earnhardt Jr

17. Clint Bowyer

18. Ricky Stenhouse Jr

19. Jamie McMurray

20. Ryan Newman

21. Marcos Ambrose

22. Kasey Kahne

23. Aric Almirola

24. AJ Allmendinger

25. Austin Dillon

26. Ty Dillon

27. Justin Allgaier

28. Greg Biffle

29. Tony Stewart

30. Michael Annett

31. Michael McDowell

32. Danica Patrick

33. Reed Sorenson

34. David Gilliland

35. David Ragan

36. Josh Wise

37. Alex Bowman

38. Landon Cassill

39. Mike Bliss

40. Cole Whitt

41. J.J. Yeley

42. Joey Gase

43. Mike Wallace

With 44 cars entered this week, Clay Rogers was the unlucky driver who didn't make the race.

The Quicken Loans Race For Heroes 500 from the Phoenix International Raceway is this Sunday at 3:00 PM ET. It's live on ESPN.

I don't follow the Nationwide Series, but I remember Garrett saying we should keep an eye on Chase Elliot this season. Still only 18 years old, he stands a chance of being crowned this year's champion at tomorrow's race. That would make him the youngest ever champion, and all in his rookie year.

Sunday is also the penultimate race on the F1 calendar, with the action coming from Brazil. The drivers found the newly resurfaced Interlagos track slippery in practice today, and that could get worse with rain being forecast for tomorrow's qualifying session. The race starts at 11:00 AM ET on Sunday, so y'all can watch the F1 race and get something to eat before the NASCAR race starts :).

Well, first off, I didn't forget my duties as to review the race...after the race was over, I turned my computer off ...and well, I don't think you would want my review. I will admit, I was highly disappointed with how the race ended. Don't get me wrong, Jeff had an awesome race with a great finish...but that wasn't enough. Thanks NASCAR...

Anyway...

This race was the race that has set the Chase field for the very last race of the season...meaning after this race only four of the eight Chase drivers would advance to Homestead to duke it out for this season's championship. While the other four drivers would get eliminated and join the previous eight eliminated Chase drivers.

Denny Hamlin started from the pole and led the first thirty or forty laps, but after that, it was the Kevin Harvick show as he led the most laps ( am pretty sure he led all the laps after that, except the laps he was in the pits. He had an awesome race car and he did what he had to do to get into the Chase.

Joey Logano had problems early on in the race where he left the pit road with his gas can still attached to his car and it left pit road while his gas man landed on his face as he drove away. NASCAR penalized him and he had to do a drive through which put him a lap down. But NASCAR gave him his lap back when they threw a caution out and gave him the lucky dog.

Denny Hamlin seemed like he had some issue with his car, but he too over came his issue. I do believe all eight Chase drivers ffinished in the top eleven or fifteen.

I will admit, this was a hard race to watch, knowing Gordon may be eliminated after the race. Especially when it became clear as to where Ryan Newman would end the race. Gordon was in second for most of the race and if finished second, Ryan Newman would have to finish 12th or worse. As the white flag flew, Gordon was in second and Newman in twelveth. That is until he went alongside Kyle Larson and sent him into the wall...so Gordon finished second. Newman finished eleventh.

Kevin Harvick went on to win the race.

Here is the four drivers that will be racing for the championship on Sunday (all four has yet to win a Sprint Cup Championship...)

KEVIN HARVICK

DENNY HAMLIN

JOEY LOGANO

RYAN NEWMAN

Here is the final result (sorry, will be posting a link.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/sprint/races/23/results

Once again, sorry for a real review...will try to do better on Sunday.

Hope you all are having a good week.

The time has finally come for the last race of the season, and only four drivers are in with a chance of winning. I know Garrett was upset at last week's result, but there's a small consolation below. I hope ESPN don't end every commercial break with Jeff Gordon's crash at Texas like they did last week - it got really boring!

Qualifying was split into three rounds this week, with sessions of 25, 10 and 5 minutes. Brad Keselowski was one of the first drivers out, and his time remained top of the leaderboard until the end of the opening session. All of the Chase drivers made the cut this week. The commentators said to watch Kyle Larson, but he could only manage 27th. Right behind Kyle was Tony Stewart. Danica Patrick was third in the earlier practice session, but she starts the race in 32nd place. None of the drivers who tried a second run managed to get inside the top 24.

Brad Keselowski set an early fast time again in the second session, but was immediately beaten by Kurt Busch. Jimmie Johnson later managed to split them with his time. Ryan Newman was the only Chase driver who didn't get into the top 12, although Denny Hamlin had to make a second run to get fifth with 16 seconds left on the clock. Joey Logano scraped in in 12th. This is Marcos Ambrose's last NASCAR race - he flies back to Australia on Monday to prepare for V8 racing. He starts in 17th. Ricky Stenhouse Jr was 15th in the first session, but his initial 12th place was pushed down to 22nd by the end of the second session. Last week I think he finished one place higher than his starting position, and he didn't even get mentioned once on the lap-by-lap feed.

The last session was short and uneventful. The usual suspects went out early and set fast times, but it was Jeff Gordon who finished up with pole position. The commentators said it's his first pole in Miami, and the 200th pole for Hendrick Motor Sports. Kevin Harvick was the highest Chase driver in 5th.

Here's the final starting lineup (Chase drivers are highlighted in yellow):

1. Jeff Gordon

2. Kurt Busch

3. Matt Kenseth

4. Brad Keselowski

5. Kevin Harvick

6. Clint Bowyer

7. Kyle Busch

8. Denny Hamlin

9. Joey Logano

10. Martin Truex Jr

11. Dale Earnhardt Jr

12. Jimmie Johnson

13. Brian Vickers

14. Justin Allgaier

15. Carl Edwards

16. Paul Menard

17. Marcos Ambrose

18. Aric Almirola

19. Jamie McMurray

20. Greg Biffle

21. Ryan Newman

22. Ricky Stenhouse Jr

23. Kasey Kahne

24. Austin Dillon

25. AJ Allmendinger

26. Trevor Bayne

27. Kyle Larson

28. Tony Stewart

29. Casey Mears

30. Brian Scott

31. David Ragan

32. Danica Patrick

33. Landon Cassill

34. J.J. Yeley

35. David Gilliland

36. Reed Sorenson

37. Josh Wise

38. Michael McDowell

39. Michael Annett

40. Blake Koch

41. Alex Bowman

42. Cole Whitt

43. Brett Moffitt

Only 43 cars were entered this week, so they all made the race.

The Ford EcoBoost 400 from the Homestead-Miami Speedway is this Sunday at 3:00 PM ET. It's live on ESPN.

Well I just wrote all this, but apparently I didn't do a good enough job since it didn't post.

Well I am writing to let y'all know that I am unable to watch today's race at Homestead. That's right...one of NASCAR's biggest fans is unable to watch the final race of the season. And it is killing me. I know a lot of fans on FB say they weren't going to watch today's race or some say even Daytona and I do believe some say ever again due to how Gordon is being treated with this new Chase format and a couple of drivers who didn't race clean. And part of me, don't blame them and see where they are coming from. But I am a too big of a Gordon/Hendrick/NASCAR fan to just not watch it due to all of it. Yes I am disappointed. Yes I am upset. Yes I want changes for next year. But I am not missing the race due to the last couple of races...because as much as it all hurts, feel Gordon needs our support. Deserves our support. And as silly as it sounds, I feel like I am really letting him down by not watching today. It just hurts to hear him sound so disappointed after the last couple of races and I don't blame him for feeling that way...because I feel that way myself.

I am missing today's race because I am a chicken. It snowed yesterday and last night and I really hate and fear driving in it. It isn't snowing now and I don't think it is suppose to snow today. But I am still worried about driving in it...especially when it gets dark. (I don't have cable, so I have to watch the races at my parents' house to watch the races when the races is on cable. Luckily...next race will be on FOX. LOL)

So because I am a chicken, I am missing the last race of the season. And instead of watching NASCAR, I watched my Bears football game instead. At least my Bears got win after a couple of painful losses. And their first win at home of the season. But still...not the same as watching NASCAR to me. NASCAR and baseball will always have priority over football...no matter how much I love my Bears!

And it is killing me.

As of several minutes ago, Gordon was still leading on lap 66.I really hope he gets the win today...and that Kevin Harvick will win the championship since Gordon can no longer win it nor any of my Hendrick drivers. Harvick has Hendrick power under his hood so he is somewhat connected plus Tony Stewart deserves something good to happen to him this season. (Stewart owns half of Harvick's car.)

So with that said, my review will be from what I read online afterwards...unless if someone on here does watch the race and write it up. Dang I have failed y'all big time the past few weeks. Won't blame y'all if you fire me after today. ;)

98 more days til Daytona 500...my NASCAR withdrawal has started early. HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(

Well as I said, I didn't watch the race and I don't know all that has happened. I know Gordon led a lot of laps...sounds like maybe the most. I don't know that for sure. But with ten laps to go he pitted under caution when no one else did...have no clue why, but I am assuming they had a reason. So instead of getting his win I was hoping for, he finished tenth.

Jimmie Johnson finished nineth...but it sounds like him and his team are in trouble and have been sent to the NASCAR hauler after the race. Something about Chad Knaus (his crew cheif) gluing spacers on his tires??? Don't know why he would do that for or what the purpose that would be. It isn't like anything they did would get them the championship...but the entire Hendrick brass has been sent to the hauler. Oops. As a fan, I really don't want them to get in trouble. This season is already ending on a sour note for me...that will only make it worse.

And the best way to win your first championship is to...win the race. Kevin Harvick has won at Homestead...and has won his first championship!!! So happy for him and his team...and especially for Tony Stewart who owns half of Kevin's car and is close friends with Tony. Has to mean so much to him...to them both. So it may not be Gordon or anyone else at Hendrick taking the big trophy home, but at least someone who is associated with Hendrick is taking it home and is someone who deserves the cup.

Sounds like it was a close race amongst the four championship contenders as three of them finished 1-2-3. I assume the one out of the mix was Joey Logano because I read someone say he didn't want his numbers on the side of the car any more...which I took it that he rubbed the wall or something. Know Ryan Newman led some laps as well as Denny Hamlin.

post-2840-143050815787_thumb.jpg

Sorry this is lacking a lot of info right now...but this is what I know so far. As I said, I didn't watch the race, but did keep up with it on Facebook and through what others has said as well as NASCAR pages I have liked. The official standings will come out tomorrow and if I have time, will post them too. Sorry that this isn't a full review, but just wanted to post y'all on the more important info as it came out.

I know Gordon led a lot of laps...sounds like maybe the most. I don't know that for sure. But with ten laps to go he pitted under caution when no one else did...have no clue why, but I am assuming they had a reason. So instead of getting his win I was hoping for, he finished tenth.

Jeff Gordon had a very strong race and led 161 of the 267 laps, often by a couple of seconds. A debris caution came out on lap 248, and Gordon and Hamlin stayed out when pretty much everyone else pitted. There was another caution on lap 255 (Alex Bowman and Blake Koch had an accident), and Gordon pitted then, putting him back in the field.

Jimmie Johnson finished nineth...but it sounds like him and his team are in trouble and have been sent to the NASCAR hauler after the race. Something about Chad Knaus (his crew cheif) gluing spacers on his tires??? Don't know why he would do that for or what the purpose that would be. It isn't like anything they did would get them the championship...but the entire Hendrick brass has been sent to the hauler. Oops. As a fan, I really don't want them to get in trouble. This season is already ending on a sour note for me...that will only make it worse.

Sounds like you know more about JJ's problems than I do. If the commentators mentioned it, I didn't hear them, and the lap-by-lap guide just said "Lap 210: Jimmie Johnson's crew chief, Chad Knaus, the competition director and VP of competition called by the tower to the Sprint Cup hauler after the race."

And the best way to win your first championship is to...win the race. Kevin Harvick has won at Homestead...and has won his first championship!!! So happy for him and his team...and especially for Tony Stewart who owns half of Kevin's car and is close friends with Tony. Has to mean so much to him...to them both. So it may not be Gordon or anyone else at Hendrick taking the big trophy home, but at least someone who is associated with Hendrick is taking it home and is someone who deserves the cup.

Jeff Gordon probably should have taken the win today, but that would have been a bit of a farce for the Chase. After all, that would have been three out of the final four races being won by non-Chase drivers. Out of the four Chase drivers in the race today, I think Kevin Harvick most deserved the championship.

Sounds like it was a close race amongst the four championship contenders as three of them finished 1-2-3. I assume the one out of the mix was Joey Logano because I read someone say he didn't want his numbers on the side of the car any more...which I took it that he rubbed the wall or something. Know Ryan Newman led some laps as well as Denny Hamlin.

At the lap 248 caution (where Gordon didn't pit), Joey Logano's car came off the jack before the left side tires were fitted, and it took his crew quite a while to get his car off the ground so they could complete the stop. Ryan Newman made great progress through the field, but didn't actually lead any laps. Other than Jeff Gordon, the only drivers to lead laps were Kevin Harvick (54), Denny Hamlin (50), Kurt Busch (1) and Blake Koch (1).

Ricky Stenhouse Jr had yet another anonymous race. His only mention in the lap-by-lap guide was on lap 236 when the caution for AJ Allmendinger's crash gave him the free pass. I though he might make up a few places near the end, but he finished 22nd (after starting 22nd!).

Kyle Busch ended the race 21 laps down after part of his drivetrain broke as he left his pit box during a stop on lap 117.

The guys in the studio afterwards were falling over each other saying how great the Chase had been this year. Admittedly, if your driver was one of the four contenders in today's race, it was an exciting finish, but I'd have to say that I didn't read one fan comment in support of the current setup when I was looking around a couple of days ago. Even the ones who generally liked the idea of the Chase thought that it needed modifying for next year. Certainly as I watched the first half of the race it was hard to believe that Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson and Brad Keselowski weren't still in with a chance. I'll qualify Keselowski's inclusion in that list by saying that he deserved to be there by his results on the track rather than his behavior off of it. Maybe next year NASCAR will give out more appropriate and consistent punishments, but I'll probably miss them while I'm watching the flying pig races ;).

For anyone suffering from withdrawal next Sunday, why not get up early and watch the final F1 race of the year. The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix starts at 8 AM ET.

Thanks Hoss for covering for me once again. :)

Well, I have heard that Gordon pitteded when he did because he didn't pit the last time everyone pitted and that he had a tire going down or something like that. Glad to hear there is a reason for pitting when he did. Was sure there was a reason for it, but glad to know what it is after hearing people accuse him of going in because NASCAR told him to in order to help the Chase contenders. I can't see Gordon or any other driver obeying such orders even from NASCAR...and keeping quiet about it.

And for Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus. I find all this a bit odd. I guess Johnson was having tire issues or his lugnut was falling off, so Chad Knaus put spacers on his tire to keep it on. Mike Pemberton (one of the NASCAR head honchos) told him not to do it. He did it anyway and that was the directive or whatever they called it that he didn't listen to. So they met afterwards and Pemberton laughed about it and said it was no big deal and how he should have asked about it...guess they parked Koch for not obeying earlier in the race? I don't know. Personally I don't know why Pemberton made a big ordeal about calling Hendrick brass to the hauler after the race only to laugh about it once the race was over and say it was no big deal. And it wasn't like Chad was doing something that would better his car above everyone else...last I knew, you had to have tires on the car in order for it to run properly. Just find all that a bit odd...but am GLAD that no penalties are coming out of all that as I was fearing. I was even guessing Gordon would get something since he owns half or over half of JJ's car. (NASCAR just needs to back off and leave my guys alone!!!! ;) )

Pemberton also said that they were going to take Ricky Stenhouse Jr's car or something on his car that he didn't like and look at it today...thought of you Hoss when I read that. I haven't heard anything else about that, just in one article I read. So maybe it is nothing. If it is something, am sure it will come out tomorrow.

Thanks again Hoss for covering for me and for all your pre-race previews as well as post. For someone who watches the wrong form of racing, you do a great job at keeping tabs of the best form of racing. :)

(Have to make a side note here...Chase Elliot who races in the Nationwide Series...this is his first year - he's only 18 years old - won the Nationwide Series Championship this year, plus rookie of the year and the most popular driver of the year.. NOt too bad for his first season!!! He is Bill Elliot's son...and he drives for Dale Earnhardt Jr. Chase will drive in a few Sprint Cup races next season for Rick Hendrick)

And...Kyle Larson has won rookie of the year in the Sprint Cup Series. He had an awesome year this year...that win is bound to come sooner or later. :)

Jeff Gordon's crew chief, Alan Gustafson, has taken the blame for the late pit stop which resulted in Gordon finishing 10th at Miami Homestead. You can read the full story here.

Tuesday has come and gone, and I'm hoping that no news is good news in relation to Ricky Stenhouse Jr's confiscated suspension parts. I wish NASCAR would deal with pre-race incidents with grid penalties or fines rather than leaving them hanging over until a couple of days later. Assuming his Homestead result stands, Ricky finishes the season one place and 22 points ahead of his girlfriend, Danica Patrick. Danica can still claim $10,000 from Ricky if she ever beats him at golf (from an article I found here).

The only penalty I did see yesterday was the indefinite suspension of crew member Kelly Johnson for violating the sanctioning body’s Substance Abuse Policy. The article on NASCAR.com was very brief, but further Googling suggests he's the jackman for the #7 team (it looks like NBC Sports found the same source that I did :)).

For some reason NASCAR waited until Thursday to hand out the punishments to Ricky Stenhouse Jr's team (thanks to Garrett for letting me know). Ricky gets to keep his points from Homestead, but his crew chief, Mike Kelley, has been fined $50,000 and placed on NASCAR probation for six months starting Jan. 1, 2015. Ricky's car chief, Patrick Magee, has also been placed on NASCAR probation for six months. The infringement was apparently that "The Stenhouse team violated the rule that dictates that mounting hardware must not allow movement or realignment of any suspension/drive line component beyond normal rotation or suspension/drive line travel." - I hope that's clear!

Considering some of the other punishments handed out this year, these seem quite harsh given that the offending parts were confiscated before qualifying, so played no part in the outcome of the race. For comparison, the Red Bull F1 team were penalized after yesterday's qualifying for today's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. A post-qualifying inspection determined that their front wings were too flexible (they perform a deflection test), and their qualifying times were deleted. As a punishment, both have been sent to the back of the grid, although they're likely to start from the pit lane (F1 has a standing start) as this lets the team make changes to the cars. I haven't read anything about fines or probation, and the whole situation is dealt with before the race.

Well I think Hazzardnet has something against me or my post, because I wrote it yesterday only for it to close up and delete and once again, tried again a few minutes ago and most my post got deleted. Am about to give up...

Here is the top sixteen Chase contenders final points:

1. Kevin Harvick

2. Ryan Newman

3. Denny Hamlin

4. Joey Logano

5. Brad Keselowski

6. Jeff Gordon

7. Matt Kenseth

8. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

9. Carl Edwards

10. Kyle Busch

11. Jimmie Johnson

12. Kurt Busch

13. AJ Allmendinger

14. Greg Biffle

15. Kasey Kahne

16. Aric Almirola

17. Kyle Larson won Rookie of the Year.

Final point standings for the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup season

Well the season may be over, but the news has yet to end...

Kasey Kahne's crew chief, Kenny Francis, has been replaced by Keith Rodden as of now. Kenny has been Kasey's crew cheif for the past eight years and has been with him since his days at Everanham Ganassi. Kenny Francis is now Hendrick's Technical director. Keith Rodden use to be Kasey's engineer at the 5 car a few years ago...but was Jamie MacMurray's crew cheif this year.

And talking about Kasey Kahne...

His contract was scheduled to end at the end of next season, but he has just signed a three year extenstion with Hendrick.

Which has everyone talking and wondering where Chase Elliot will go.

Rick Hendrick has already told Chase that he had big plans for Chase in the Sprint Cup in 2016...and has said that Chase will run a handful of NASCAR Sprint Cup races next season as well as racing full time in Nationwide (Chase drives for JR motorsports which is owned by Dale Jr and his sister Kelley. So it is a Henrick affiliated team.)

It was rumored that since Kasey's contract was going to end at the end of 2015, that Chase could drive the 5 car in 2016. But not now that he has signed a three year extension.

Jr's contract in the 88 car ends in 2018 and I had originally heard that Johnson's contract ends at the end of 2017...but did see on a fan site on FB that it ends maybe next season. I don't know though. But I can't see Hendrick letting either one of those two go. JJ brings in the wins and well Jr brings in the fan base and the money.

Which leaves Jeff Gordon. Of who every media seems to be talking about his looming retirement...but they have done so for the past several years. And Gordon has two more season signed with his sponsorship with AARP and has just signed a three year contract with a new sponsor 3M (who has sponsored Greg Bifffle for the past few years but is moving over to Gordon next year). So, unless they signed their contract with Rick Hendrick instead of with Gordon, Gordon is set for the next three seasons. Gordon has a lifetime contract with Hendrick, meaning he will race with Hendrick until he is ready to retire...I really hope Gordon has several more seasons in him, if not more. Though will admit all this has me nervous.

And after having one of the best seasons of his career...four wins and fourteen top fives this year. I don't see Gordon ready to retire...he has always said that he will retire when his will and desire to win is no longer there. Well he showed this year that it is still there. Gordon has earned the most points out of anyone on the track this year...the only reason he didn't win the championship is because of NASCAR and their silly Chase formrat. Then again, if it wasn't for the Chase...Gordon would now have seven championships to his name instead with the four that NASCAR has creditted him with. Which would tie him with Dale Earnahrdt Sr. and Richard Petty.

Only in NASCAR do you earn the most points, go into the post season sitting on top of the points, and finish fifth. While a guy with no wins and only five top fives comes home second in points.

Well despite what NASCAR says and how much they think their new Chase format is working...(which I see more people upset at it than I do who say they like it...) Gordon is the true champion. On and off the track. After all that Gordon has done for NASCAR as a sport, he deserves to be treated better than he has...but it is what it is.

Tonight is the Nationwide Series banquet. Chase Elliot has won his first Nationwide Series championship, won rookie of the year,and the most popular driver award in the series. Not too bad for his first season... :)

Sprint Cup's banquet is, I think, Decemeber fourth where the Chase contenders will be there and, of what I am told, the top eight drivers will deliver speeches.

With that said...there is NINETY ONE DAYS left the Daytona 500!!!

Oh and Hoss...I see Lewis Hamilton won your series. Hope you are happy with his win of the series. I missed your final race this morning...

Oh and Hoss...I see Lewis Hamilton won your series. Hope you are happy with his win of the series. I missed your final race this morning...

Lewis Hamilton went into the final race with a 17 point lead over his teammate and championship rival Nico Rosberg. F1 tried the gimmick of double points for the last race this year, so even if Rosberg won the race, Hamilton could still be champion by finishing second. Hamilton looked quickest in practice and early qualifying, but in the final session he could only claim second on the grid behind Rosberg (Rosberg has had most poles this year). When the lights went out, Hamilton had a great start, while Rosberg was a little slow getting away. They continued to run first and second until just before half distance when Rosberg's hybrid electrical system failed, depriving him of around 160 horsepower during acceleration. From then on, Rosberg was a sitting duck for the other drivers. Hamilton controlled the race from the front, and won, despite second place Felipe Massa catching towards the end. I think everyone (including the drivers) would have preferred a wheel to wheel fight, but in the end, the right person won. Hamilton won 11 of the 19 races this year, and had to retire from three of the other eight due to mechanical failures. He now becomes the fourth British driver to win more than one World Championship.

Lewis Hamilton finds a Union Jack for his drive back to the pits. On the way, he's congratulated on his radio by Prince Harry, seen here sharing a joke in the pits with ex-Spice Girl Geri Halliwell (who's dating Red Bull team boss Christian Horner). Hamilton gets a kiss from his girlfriend, Nicole Scherzinger, who flew in this morning with Hamilton's father, stepmother and brother as a surprise. In the last picture Hamilton is looking happy with his friend Pharrell Williams.

HamiltonWin1.jpg

The flag Hamilton acquired had the words "Hammer Time" across the middle. This year, his race engineer became known for using the phrase "Okay Lewis, it's hammer time." on the radio to tell him to push hard before a pit stop.

HamiltonWin2.jpg

Lewis Hamilton in the center, with second and third placed Williams drivers Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas on either side. The man in the white shirt and black pants is Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff.

HamiltonWin3.jpg

The 2014 Formula 1 World Champion, Lewis Hamilton.

HamiltonWin4.jpg

:previous:

I've never thought of Daisy Duke and ex-Pussycat Doll/X Factor UK judge Nicole Scherzinger as lookalikes, but Nicole's current brunette curls aren't a million miles away from Cathy's hairstyles. Here's a better view of Nicole with Lewis Hamilton after yesterday's race.

LewisNicole.jpg

Lewis Hamilton wasn't the only British motorsport champion this year. Just like NASCAR has the Nationwide Series and Camping World Truck Series below the Sprint Cup Series, Formula 1 also has feeder classes.

GP2 has been running since 2005, and was won this year by Jolyon Palmer, who is the son of former F1 driver and major UK race circuit owner Jonathan Palmer. The first two years' champions were Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton, and many other drivers have made their way into F1 from GP2.

The winner of this year's GP3 championship, Alex Lynn, is also British. This series has only been running since 2010, but three of the previous four winners were driving F1 cars this year.

Congratulations to Lewis, Jolyon and Alex. I hope to see Jolyon and Alex move up to F1 in the future.

GP2GP3Winners.jpg

Hammer time? I was starting to think he listend to MC Hammer during the race. Guess that is one way to make you go faster.

Geesh...I make one reference to your racing to show that I did know something about it and you kidnap my post once again. :mad::lol: I'm all worried about Chase Elliot and where he will have a ride at in 2016 and what all that means for Jeff Gordon and y'all just ignore that to worry about your series. Seems pretty unsenstive to me. That's OK. Gordon will come back and show y'all who's boss and win the championship. LOL.

In NASCAR news...Danica Patrick will be in a Super Bowl commercial to keep her streak alive. ;)

90 more days until the Daytona 500...I don't know if I can survive that long. Last weekend was pretty hard and to think I have twelve more weekends like that??!!! Yeah, this season's NASCAR withdrawals is gonna kill me I think. Which y'all would be happy because my poor NASCAR thread will be once and forever kidnapped. ;)

Though I was glad to see Lewis Hamilton win...only for the fact that it was a name I knew or recognized. LOL. Other than that, well, I'm lost. Well, except for all the info Hoss has given me. :D Sadly I don't have the time or the memory to keep up with more than one series...

Thanks Roger. I am surprised I ended the season as I did (actually I finished the same in all three leagues) in the final segment. Too bad it was a little too late. But better late than never. Thanks again Roger and thanks so much for being in my league. You helped make it fun. :)

I am sure Catherine wouldn't be offended because I can assure you Roger didn't mean any offense to Daisy/Catherine, or any of the DOH actors/cast. Roger is the biggest Dukes fan I know (well besides myself...LOL) (J/K) and wouldn't offend the cast or it's fans. So no need to get upset or worried, it was just a statement about her appearance than who that woman is. Or whatever she has done.