sorry for knocking the new movie to shreds !

dukefan

Yea sure I got the site right here http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Of course it won't be a crtic favorite that much is given. But Roger Ebert is a wise man who knows his stuff. Me persoally I'll read what a critic has to say on certain matters (not all just on entertainment). I'd rather save my money for stuff thats more important like white wash lol.

But hey whatever you want to go out and see the movie that is your right me I'll save my money for the next movie to come out of Hollywood.

This probably a dumb question but why are people getting so bent out of shape over the confederate flag being on the General Lee. That is what the general looks like I mean the movie makers have made so many changes to the movie but altering the general...that’s just something they won’t do. Maybe it’s just me but why didn’t these same people complain back in 70’s and 80s when the show was being made.

This probably a dumb question but why are people getting so bent out of shape over the confederate flag being on the General Lee. That is what the general looks like I mean the movie makers have made so many changes to the movie but altering the general...that’s just something they won’t do. Maybe it’s just me but why didn’t these same people complain back in 70’s and 80s when the show was being made.

Okay folks here it is for anyone who cares at this point. The first and last word on a movie. Roger Eberts review. Like everyone figured the movie didn't go over big with the critics. The movie only got 1 star.

"The Dukes of Hazzard" is a comedy about two cousins who are closer'n brothers, and their car, which is smarter'n they are. It's a retread of a sitcom that ran from about 1979 to 1985, years during which I was able to find better ways to pass my time. Yes, it is still another TV program I have never ever seen. As this list grows, it provides more and more clues about why I am so smart and cheerful.

The movie stars Johnny Knoxville, from "Jackass," Seann William Scott, from "American Wedding," and Jessica Simpson, from Mars. Judging by her recent conversation on TV with Dean Richards, Simpson is so remarkably uninformed that she should sue the public schools of Abilene, Texas, or maybe they should sue her. On the day he won his seventh Tour de France, not many people could say, as she did, that they had no idea who Lance Armstrong was.

Of course you don't have to be smart to get into "The Dukes of Hazzard." But people like Willie Nelson and Burt Reynolds should have been smart enough to stay out of it. Here is a lame-brained, outdated wheeze about a couple of good ol' boys who roar around the back roads of the South in the General Lee, their beloved 1969 Dodge Charger. As it happens, I also drove a 1969 Dodge Charger. You could have told them apart because mine did not have a Confederate flag painted on the roof.

Scott and Knoxville play Bo Duke and Luke Duke; the absence of a Puke Duke is a sadly missed opportunity. They deliver moonshine manufactured by their Uncle Jesse (Willie Nelson), and depend on the General to outrun the forces of Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane (M.C. Gainey). The movie even has one of those obligatory scenes where the car is racing along when there's a quick cut to a gigantic Mack truck, its horn blasting as it bears down on them. They steer out of the way at the last possible moment. That giant Mack truck keeps busy in the movies, turning up again and again during chase scenes and always just barely missing the car containing the heroes, but this is the first time I have seen it making 60 mph down a single-lane dirt track.

Simpson plays Daisy Duke, whose short shorts became so famous on TV that they were known as "Daisy Dukes." She models them to a certain effect in a few brief scenes, but is missing from most of the movie. Maybe she isn't even smart enough to wear shorts. I learn from the Internet that Simpson has a dog named Daisy, but have been unable to learn if she named it before or after being signed for the role, and whether the dog is named after the character, the shorts, the flower, or perhaps (a long shot) Daisy Duck.

The local ruler is Boss Jefferson Davis Hogg (Burt Reynolds), "the meanest man in Hazzard County," who issues orders to the Sheriff and everybody else, and has a secret plan to strip-mine the county and turn it into a wasteland. I wonder if there were moments when Reynolds reflected that, karma-wise, this movie was the second half of what "Smokey and the Bandit" was the first half of.

There are a lot of scenes in the movie where the General is racing down back roads at high speeds and becomes airborne, leaping across ditches, rivers and suchlike, miraculously without breaking the moonshine bottles. Surely if you have seen, say, 12 scenes of a car flying through the air, you are not consumed by a need to see 12 more.

There is a NASCAR race in the film, and some amusing dialogue about car sponsorship. You know the film is set in modern times because along with Castrol and Coke, one of the car sponsors is Yahoo! I noted one immortal passage of dialogue, about a charity that is raising money for "one of the bifidas." I was also amused by mention of "The Al Unser Jr. Story," an "audiobook narrated by Laurence Fishburne."

The movie has one offensive scene, alas, that doesn't belong in a contemporary comedy. Bo and Luke are involved in a mishap that causes their faces to be blackened with soot, and then, wouldn't you know, they drive into an African-American neighborhood, where their car is surrounded by ominous young men who are not amused by blackface, or by the Confederate flag painted on the car. I was hoping maybe the boyz n the hood would carjack the General, which would provide a fresh twist to the story, but no, the scene sinks into the mire of its own despond.

Okay folks here it is for anyone who cares at this point. The first and last word on a movie. Roger Eberts review. Like everyone figured the movie didn't go over big with the critics. The movie only got 1 star.

"The Dukes of Hazzard" is a comedy about two cousins who are closer'n brothers, and their car, which is smarter'n they are. It's a retread of a sitcom that ran from about 1979 to 1985, years during which I was able to find better ways to pass my time. Yes, it is still another TV program I have never ever seen. As this list grows, it provides more and more clues about why I am so smart and cheerful.

The movie stars Johnny Knoxville, from "Jackass," Seann William Scott, from "American Wedding," and Jessica Simpson, from Mars. Judging by her recent conversation on TV with Dean Richards, Simpson is so remarkably uninformed that she should sue the public schools of Abilene, Texas, or maybe they should sue her. On the day he won his seventh Tour de France, not many people could say, as she did, that they had no idea who Lance Armstrong was.

Of course you don't have to be smart to get into "The Dukes of Hazzard." But people like Willie Nelson and Burt Reynolds should have been smart enough to stay out of it. Here is a lame-brained, outdated wheeze about a couple of good ol' boys who roar around the back roads of the South in the General Lee, their beloved 1969 Dodge Charger. As it happens, I also drove a 1969 Dodge Charger. You could have told them apart because mine did not have a Confederate flag painted on the roof.

Scott and Knoxville play Bo Duke and Luke Duke; the absence of a Puke Duke is a sadly missed opportunity. They deliver moonshine manufactured by their Uncle Jesse (Willie Nelson), and depend on the General to outrun the forces of Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane (M.C. Gainey). The movie even has one of those obligatory scenes where the car is racing along when there's a quick cut to a gigantic Mack truck, its horn blasting as it bears down on them. They steer out of the way at the last possible moment. That giant Mack truck keeps busy in the movies, turning up again and again during chase scenes and always just barely missing the car containing the heroes, but this is the first time I have seen it making 60 mph down a single-lane dirt track.

Simpson plays Daisy Duke, whose short shorts became so famous on TV that they were known as "Daisy Dukes." She models them to a certain effect in a few brief scenes, but is missing from most of the movie. Maybe she isn't even smart enough to wear shorts. I learn from the Internet that Simpson has a dog named Daisy, but have been unable to learn if she named it before or after being signed for the role, and whether the dog is named after the character, the shorts, the flower, or perhaps (a long shot) Daisy Duck.

The local ruler is Boss Jefferson Davis Hogg (Burt Reynolds), "the meanest man in Hazzard County," who issues orders to the Sheriff and everybody else, and has a secret plan to strip-mine the county and turn it into a wasteland. I wonder if there were moments when Reynolds reflected that, karma-wise, this movie was the second half of what "Smokey and the Bandit" was the first half of.

There are a lot of scenes in the movie where the General is racing down back roads at high speeds and becomes airborne, leaping across ditches, rivers and suchlike, miraculously without breaking the moonshine bottles. Surely if you have seen, say, 12 scenes of a car flying through the air, you are not consumed by a need to see 12 more.

There is a NASCAR race in the film, and some amusing dialogue about car sponsorship. You know the film is set in modern times because along with Castrol and Coke, one of the car sponsors is Yahoo! I noted one immortal passage of dialogue, about a charity that is raising money for "one of the bifidas." I was also amused by mention of "The Al Unser Jr. Story," an "audiobook narrated by Laurence Fishburne."

The movie has one offensive scene, alas, that doesn't belong in a contemporary comedy. Bo and Luke are involved in a mishap that causes their faces to be blackened with soot, and then, wouldn't you know, they drive into an African-American neighborhood, where their car is surrounded by ominous young men who are not amused by blackface, or by the Confederate flag painted on the car. I was hoping maybe the boyz n the hood would carjack the General, which would provide a fresh twist to the story, but no, the scene sinks into the mire of its own despond.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,I gotta tell ya,I enjoyed the movie,and if it were under any other name then the dukes,it would have been an awsome movie!

I liked seing the General lee in action again,especially at night,a very rare scene,actually never seen the General run at night on the original series!

Many things I did not like or approve of,Like Bo and Luke not clean shaven,and Daisy being so dang tuff and sexual!

I also didn't care for all the vulgar language and abuses Bo and Luke gave each other!

When did you ever see the boys wack each other with a phone book??Or pull tricks to each other,or be endangered by hawling luke on a safe tied to cooters tow truck!???

I also didn't like uncle jessie telling all these ying yang jokes,especially when trying to help Bo elude the cops in a race,jessie never wold have said jokes about playboys and divorces,common!!!!

Rosco was way too serious for my liking,and boss was too mean and too serious,no funny humor between them two whatsoever!

How hard could it be for warners to do like the movie «Beverely Hillbillies»,That movie was funny as hell,and the caracters were as close as they could possibly have them be!

There was no swearing and cussing in there wich I truely hated in the duke movies!

The only caracter anywheres nears anyone on the dukes was cooter! At least there it felt like I was in hazzard again for a short moment!

Since when did Bo ever faint over some chick,Bo was never shy around women,always went for what he saw!!

To me,the only thing that saved that movie was the General Lee,there was some amazing serious driving going on!

When Bo found out the truth about luke making it with his girl,he went poof,and the driving sequal that followed was awsome!Seing the general going round and round was just so fabulous!

The amazing skills of the moves they made with the General in the race was awsome also!

It may be a bit tacky of me to point out some aspects of the changes they made to the General,but this is just observations on my part.

First off,two mirrors,new steering wheel,chrome and new high fi sterio!

They should have kept it original!No white letters please!!

Anyways,as much as I enjoyed the movie,as being open minded,I didn't like it all,'bout 40 % of this movie was good for me!

If they would have left the swearing, and been more like the orinal cast with the same settings they had for this movie,then yeah,I would have gave it thumbs up!

They really didn't have to have people cutting the dukes up because of a confederate flag on the roof,that part of the show was really lame!

• 15 years later...
On 1/17/2005 at 7:49 AM, dukefan said:

Hey y'all, sorry for trashing the new movie so dang badly,i know it's cruel of me and wasn't thinking of how I was either offending some and discouraging others!

Sure,the idea of keeping the dukes alive is one thing,and seeing the general lee in action on the big screen is rather interesting,I just wish they would've had the right cast for the movie!

They should have been actors that look a little like the original cast,at least then it would have been more acceptable to watch! Does anyone know who catherine bell is? She's so dang near a perfect look alike for the role of daisy,wish was played by catherine bach!

It's like you said,no matter who they pick,we will still be disappointed! A true fan of the dukes,will always be critical of this movie,and I'm sorry i made an ass of myself by posting everywhere how much I just depise this movie!

I know i will never accept it, but if they at least had a cast worthy of the show,then maybe I could be more open minded !

For those who are annoyed with my rantings,I'm sorry i bursted y'all's bubble!

Seing the general lee in action again and on the big screen, is something that does make my heart skip a beat! I've always adored that car,and I'm obscessed by it!

So capt,from this day forward,I'll respect others more in here for their views too,I sincerely thank you for bringing my attitude to my attention,I never meant to step on anyones toes!

I do love being here,and I am a true blue fan of the original Dukes of hazzard,see y'all later you hear!

Thanks to those who take the time to read this forum and I appreciate any comments openly!

Sincerely yours,dukefan!

P.S.: Can anyone show me an example of how to put pictures on here,I really don't get it with all this url and stuff! How am I suppose to know what the url of my pics are......I don't get it.....help??????

Hello Cousin dukefan. No. But I know April Scott. Check her out. Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning(2007).