NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

11 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

Wow I am really failing on this thread, aren't I? I've been reading up on this and yet haven't wrote a single word about it. Thank you Spike for the post. I didn't watch the race and have to look at what had happened, but I agree with you, that if he wrecked them intentionally just to win the race, they should have handed the win to the second place driver which looks to be Hamlin. If you can't win without wrecking people, then that's not really a win. My mom just sent me a clip from the 90's when Rusty Wallace did this to Jeff Gordon to win the race...she knows how to make me mad. HA. It's just dirty and wrong. But no one asked me...LOL.

:lol: Yeah it's well known Rusty Wallace did not like Jeff Gordon. He even tried getting Dale Earnhardt Sr to team up with him to wreck Jeff as many times as possible but Dale Sr obviously didn't agree with Rusty. Heck Dale even took Jeff under his wing a bit giving him advice over the years. Their "rivalry" helped make NASCAR huge in the mid to late 90's. If you haven't listened to them yet I recommend the Dale jr download podcasts with Jeff Gordon. 

What Austin Dillon did Sunday night was just poor sportsmanship. Then to lie about it on Dale Jr's weekly winner interview portion of his Tuesday podcast was just stupid, especially with the smt data proving he turned the car away more left to take out Denny Hamlin. "Um I didn't know he was there", BS you didn't you'd have to be blind not to see that car and if you are that blind than you need to get outta the driver's seat. I think if Bass Pro/Cabela's CEO wasn't there and one of his sponsored cars didn't win NASCAR would have dq'd Austin Dillon. He dumps millions into NASCAR and they probably didn't want to drive that money away.

11 hours ago, Spike said:

:lol: Yeah it's well known Rusty Wallace did not like Jeff Gordon. He even tried getting Dale Earnhardt Sr to team up with him to wreck Jeff as many times as possible but Dale Sr obviously didn't agree with Rusty. Heck Dale even took Jeff under his wing a bit giving him advice over the years. Their "rivalry" helped make NASCAR huge in the mid to late 90's. If you haven't listened to them yet I recommend the Dale jr download podcasts with Jeff Gordon. 

What Austin Dillon did Sunday night was just poor sportsmanship. Then to lie about it on Dale Jr's weekly winner interview portion of his Tuesday podcast was just stupid, especially with the smt data proving he turned the car away more left to take out Denny Hamlin. "Um I didn't know he was there", BS you didn't you'd have to be blind not to see that car and if you are that blind than you need to get outta the driver's seat. I think if Bass Pro/Cabela's CEO wasn't there and one of his sponsored cars didn't win NASCAR would have dq'd Austin Dillon. He dumps millions into NASCAR and they probably didn't want to drive that money away.

Well Jeff Gordon has enough wins and championships to prove himself to Rusty Wallace. Gordon and Earnhardt Sr had a healthy rivalry and it made it fun. Well as long as Gordon won. HA. I'll have to look for the podcast with Jr and Jeff Gordon. :)

Austin Dillon won't admit anything. I think if I was his sponsor I'd pull out and find someone else who would better represent their company.  To me, if you can't win without wrecking someone out of the way, it's not a real win. It's cheating and mean. 

2 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

.  To me, if you can't win without wrecking someone out of the way, it's not a real win. It's cheating and mean. 

I agree. See there Hobie.....what Garrett is saying is that you need to give me the trophy for the Moonshine 400 back in 1982. That's the year you put those Mean Green Machine spikes on your rims and ran me off the road and into the swamp. Not a real win for you since you cheated. I'm on my way over there now to pick up my trophy and I'm bringing Garrett with me. 

WOAH!!  Hey now!!  Hey now! Can't we talk about this?? I mean,  we're all reasonable adults here....!! ( Besides I really don't remember what I did with it....I....uh....indulged in a " Few" adult beverages  as soon as I got back to the car lot after the race!! :) ).  I WILL be indulging in some  low grade cheap stuff tonight, ( Milwaukee's Best Ice) as I celebrate   DOHD!!   HAPPY DUKES OF HAZZARD DAY EVERYBODY!!   :) 

* I'll do all that,  this  evening or tonight , after  I  pick up my wife from work!  DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!  ( even Hobie wouldn't REALLY do that! :) )

2 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

WOAH!!  Hey now!!  Hey now! Can't we talk about this?? I mean,  we're all reasonable adults here....!! 

Okay, me and Garrett turned around and are heading home now. Besides, we kept getting lost. Garrett is driving and only wants to make left turns because that's how it's done in NASCAR. I tried to explain that's why we are going in circles but Garrett never listens. Besides, I'm not mad anymore after you gave me such a nice cocompliment. Nobody has ever called me a "reasonable adult." 

4 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Okay, me and Garrett turned around and are heading home now. Besides, we kept getting lost. Garrett is driving and only wants to make left turns because that's how it's done in NASCAR. I tried to explain that's why we are going in circles but Garrett never listens. Besides, I'm not mad anymore after you gave me such a nice cocompliment. Nobody has ever called me a "reasonable adult." 

You mean to tell me there is other ways to turn than left? That seems...so backwards! Maybe that's why everyone else is lost and I've been found. HA. Talk about a backseat driver to criticize my left turns... ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Formula 1 was back this weekend after its summer break with the Dutch Grand Prix. Since it returned to the calendar in 2021, Red Bull's Max Verstappen has dominated his home race with pole and the win each year, but McLaren's upgrades seem to be working better than Red Bull's at the moment, and Max had to line up behind Lando Norris on the grid. Lando's team mate, Oscar Piastri started in third with George Russell the first of the Mercedes cars in fourth. Ferrari were sixth and tenth, but Lewis Hamilton failed to make the final qualifying session and also got a grid penalty for impeding another driver, so started 13th. Alex Albon had a great qualifying for Williams to initially put his car in eighth, but had to start from the back after the floor of his car was found to be illegal.

Lando continued his unfortunate record of poor starts from pole and was overtaken by Max into turn 1. Max stayed ahead until Lando retook the lead on lap 18. Lando then held the lead over Max until the checkered flag to take his second win and the point for fastest lap. He ended up with a winning margin of 23 seconds - the sort of lead that Max used to get. The Ferraris seemed to have had better race pace than they showed in qualifying, finishing in third and fifth and separated by McLaren's Oscar Piastri. George Russell slipped back to finish in seventh with Lewis Hamilton catching up to eighth.

McLaren are now catching Red Bull in the Constructors' Championship, but they may be regretting swapping their drivers in the last race as Lando could've been closer to Max in the Drivers' Championship.

You can see the race highlights here.

15 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Look it up. It will make your jaw drop. 

https://www.nascar.com/videos/franchise/nascar-cup-series-highlights/josh-berry-clim

Here it is!! WOW!! Your comment about you didn't think it would ever stop spinning reminded me of something I think Boss said one time....or Rosco?? 

17 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

https://www.nascar.com/videos/franchise/nascar-cup-series-highlights/josh-berry-clim

Here it is!! WOW!! Your comment about you didn't think it would ever stop spinning reminded me of something I think Boss said one time....or Rosco?? 

Season 4 (Birds Gotta Fly) Rosco flipped the patrol car trying to make a jump off a dirt mound. It lands on the roof and starts spinning.

Boss:"Get me out of here!"

Rosco:"I will, as soon as everything stops spinnin'!"

7 minutes ago, Skipper Duke said:

Season 4 (Birds Gotta Fly) Rosco flipped the patrol car trying to make a jump off a dirt mound. It lands on the roof and starts spinning.

no....I think the one I was thinking about was when Boss and Rosco flipped a car while chasing rthe Dukes and they ( The Dukes) kept pushing it to make it  spin around and Rosco said somethintg about I didn't' think it would ever  stop spinning!! !

16 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Or as they actually said:

Boss: "Get me out of here."
Luke: "You all right in there, Boss?"
Bo: "Rosco?"
Rosco: "I'll let you know when everything stops spinning."

22 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

I am horrible at watching the races this year, once again. I just need to stay home and watch them. Though I hate seeing stuff like this. Just too scary. I am glad Josh is OK. Daytona and Talledega are just scary for the wrecks. 

On 8/26/2024 at 2:21 AM, RogerDuke said:

I didn't watch much of the race but I did see the Josh Berry crash. I thought that car would never stop spinning. Very scary. 

It reminded me of the police car that got flipped and spun in the chase through the mall in the Blues Brothers. I wonder if Josh Berry broke his watch? :)

American F1 driver Logan Sargeant has been dropped by the Williams team and will be replaced by academy driver Franco Colapinto for the remaining nine races of the season. Sargeant joined the team in 2023, but only scored a single point from 36 race starts. A heavy crash in the final practice session for last week's Dutch Grand Prix meant that he couldn't take part in qualifying, and seems to have been the final straw for the team. We'll get a chance to see how Argentine Colapinto does this weekend in the Italian Grand Prix at Monza.

I'm not sure how many people predicted the outcome of today's Italian Grand Prix from Monza, especially after yesterday's qualifying. In-form McLaren locked out the front row of the grid with Lando Norris ahead of Oscar Piastri. George Russell put his Mercedes in third, followed by the Ferraris of Charles LeClerc and Carlos Sainz and the other Mercedes of Lewis Hamilton. Championship leader Max Verstappen could only manage seventh place.

Lando had a good start, but unfortunately continued his record of losing the lead on the first lap when Oscar and then Charles overtook him at turn 4. George Russell got pushed wide at the first corner and also suffered early damage to his front wing which had to be changed at his first stop. McLaren looked like they had the pace to win the race, but the newly-surfaced track increased the tire wear, and most of the top teams went for a two-stop strategy. With little to lose, Ferrari decided to gamble on a single stop, and it paid off with victory for Charles LeClerc. He's now won two races this year: his home race in Monaco and his team's home race in Italy. Obviously, the fanatical Italian fans (the Tifosi) were overjoyed and Italy now has their own 'King Charles'. McLaren finished second and third with Oscar ahead of Lando. Lando snatched the point for fastest lap at the end. Carlos brought the second Ferrari home in fourth ahead of Lewis and Max. Rookie driver Franco Colapinto brought his Williams safely home just outside the points in 12th and still on the lead lap.

Lando Norris has closed the gap to Max Verstappen to 62 points in the Drivers' Championship. In the Constructors' Championship, McLaren are now only eight points behind Red Bull with both their drivers now scoring good points. Ferrari are also getting closer.

You can see the race highlights here.

The next race is the
Azerbaijan Grand Prix in Baku in two weeks.

Following today's race, Haas driver Kevin Magnussen was given two penalty points on his licence for causing a collision with Pierre Gasly. That takes him to 12 points within a calendar year, so he gets an automatic one-race ban. Haas haven't said who will replace him in Baku.

The regular season for dirt bikes is over. The first half is Supercross (SX) where they race in stadiums. The second half is Motorcross (MX) where they race on longer tracks outdoors. Both SX and MX have champions but last year they combined points from SX and MX and called it SMX and did a three race playoff for those who qualify. Personally, I'm not a fan of the new system. All three have two champions, one for 450cc and one for 250cc. 

1 minute ago, RogerDuke said:

The regular season for dirt bikes is over. The first half is Supercross (SX) where they race in stadiums. The second half is Motorcross (MX) where they race on longer tracks outdoors. Both SX and MX have champions but last year they combined points from SX and MX and called it SMX and did a three race playoff for those who qualify. Personally, I'm not a fan of the new system. All three have two champions, one for 450cc and one for 250cc. 

They must follow NASCAR's season, because last night's race at Darlington was their last regular season race. The Chase starts next week. Chase won last night. Sadly it was the wrong Chase. Chase Briscoe won to earn the 14th spot into the Chase. Chase Elliott came in 11th. . .which every time I looked he was 20 or 23rd and seeing how Darlington isn't his best track, maybe eleventh isn't so bad. Definitely not great either. 

Analysis: Briscoe delivers at Darlington in heartfelt Southern 500 triumph (nascar.com)

Darlington Raceway Race Results, Lineup | Official Site Of NASCAR

Analysis: Briscoe delivers at Darlington in heartfelt Southern 500 triumph (nascar.com)