NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

I heard that tires were an issue at Bristol. Which is frustrating for everyone and it affects the driver's season and points. As someone pointed out that I saw...what if this were a Chase race or an elimination race and it all came down to tires? I really miss the old way of racing where it was about talent and the drivers and teams. I feel NASCAR has to put it's hands on everything now to take away from the driving and the mechanics...the Chase and the segments for example. Let it be about the racing as it use to be...

I didn't bother writing a report for the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix two weeks ago because although there were a few good fights down the field, it finished as another Red Bull 1-2. I will give a special mention to Oliver Bearman who was a last minute stand-in for Ferrari and finished seventh in his first ever grand prix at just 18 years old.

Today's race was the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne. Max Verstappen claimed another pole, but was overtaken Ferrari's Carlos Sainz on the second lap. Max suffered a rare technical failure two laps later and had to retire his Red Bull when one of his rear brakes caught fire. Lewis Hamilton also retired at nearly one third distance when his Mercedes engine failed. His team mate George Russell crashed on the last lap leaving Mercedes pointless in Australia. Carlos Sainz went on to win the race with his team mate Charles Leclerc in second, followed by the McLarens of Lando Norris and local hero Oscar Piastri in third and fourth. Sergio Perez could only manage fifth in the second Red Bull. Carlos Sainz's victory was even more impressive because he missed the last race with appendicitis.

On 3/22/2024 at 8:03 PM, Garrett Duke said:

I heard that tires were an issue at Bristol. Which is frustrating for everyone and it affects the driver's season and points. As someone pointed out that I saw...what if this were a Chase race or an elimination race and it all came down to tires? I really miss the old way of racing where it was about talent and the drivers and teams. I feel NASCAR has to put it's hands on everything now to take away from the driving and the mechanics...the Chase and the segments for example. Let it be about the racing as it use to be...

a BIG +1 !!  ( It's getting to where I'm afraid to get my Moonshine Machine out of the garage!) :) 

Well y'all car 24 was back in Victory Lane after today's COTA road race. Too bad Jeff Gordon wasn't driving it. He use to be known as the road race king as he was good at them. But so is William Byron, who now drives the 24 car for Hendrick. Still great to see 24 car in Victory Lane. (Though I was hoping for the 9 car. Elliott needs to figure something out...LOL)

William Byron bulls his way to dominant Cup Series victory at COTA (nascar.com)

Circuit of The Americas Race Results, Lineup | Official Site Of NASCAR

• 2 weeks later...

Well...I am keeping up with my failed NASCAR fandom of 2024 and have yet to watch a race this year. They raced at Martinsville where the winner takes up the big grandfather clock. It marks the 40th anniversary for Hendrick Motorsports. Sadly Mr. H (Rick Hendrick) missed it after having knee surgery. Though his team pulled through as William Byron won, Kyle Larson came in second, and Chase Elliott finished third. Giving Hendrick the top three finishing spots of the race. 

NASCAR Martinsville 1 Race Results, Starting Lineup | NASCAR

Byron adds to Hendrick history with Martinsville victory | NASCAR

14 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Have you been into Hobie's Finest or did you drink some of my expired buttermilk...or both? It's Chase Elliott!!!

7 hours ago, Spike said:

I think William Byron is going to win the championship this year, he is on fire, 3 wins already out of 8 races so far. 

Well as much as I would love the 24 car back in the championship ring and I do really like Byron. He's a clean and great driver and he's off to a great year...I really hope Chase Elliott starts visiting Victory Lane more often and to earn his second championship. :) Though if Chase can't do it...I'd want Byron. 

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

He's not Chase Elliott

Then there's that...I agree 100% on this. 

48 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Well until I see otherwise , Denny is still my fav......well...after ME of course! I'm H&^^ On Wheels in my Moonshine Mauler!! :) 

Well I guess we can't all be right. LOL. I remember Denny's first season in Sprint. He won both races at Pocono. "The Tricky Triangle" LOL.  He just better leave Chase and the rest of the Hendrick boys alone. Go pick on Kyle Busch instead... ;) 

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Garrett your boy Chase finally put it in victory lane today in Texas :tup:

I've never liked Denny, heck his first season he about ran thru Kyle Petty in practice. 

You beat me to it, Spike! I am so excited that Chase finally found himself in Victory Lane. He has been getting closer and closer this year. And here we are. I hope that this means that more is to come. Ironic enough, an online NASCAR fan was telling me the other day that I should switch to William Byron since the reason I went with Elliott was because he went to the 24 car first (Jeff Gordon's original number). Have to say it was tempting because Byron is the 24 driver, drives for Hendrick, and has been doing great last year and this year. But being the Cubs fan that I am...am loyal to the end. So Byron will be my second favorite. Sadly I missed his win as I went grocery shopping instead because I was too lazy to go yesterday. Though if I did watch it today, I'd probably have an heart attack up to the white flag! LOL. I am just so excited...must mean it's going to be a great week. LOL.

I was never a Denny Hamlin fan either, because he did show aggressive driving even in his first season in NASCAR and it hasn't changed. Then him wrecking Elliott all that he did, carved it in stone. LOL.

NASCAR Texas Motor Speedway Race Results, Lineup | Official Site Of NASCAR

YAY CHASE ELLIOTT!!! CONGRATULATIONS. :)

Thank you Spike.

35 minutes ago, Garrett Duke said:

You beat me to it, Spike! I am so excited that Chase finally found himself in Victory Lane. He has been getting closer and closer this year. And here we are. I hope that this means that more is to come. Ironic enough, an online NASCAR fan was telling me the other day that I should switch to William Byron since the reason I went with Elliott was because he went to the 24 car first (Jeff Gordon's original number). Have to say it was tempting because Byron is the 24 driver, drives for Hendrick, and has been doing great last year and this year. But being the Cubs fan that I am...am loyal to the end. So Byron will be my second favorite. Sadly I missed his win as I went grocery shopping instead because I was too lazy to go yesterday. Though if I did watch it today, I'd probably have an heart attack up to the white flag! LOL. I am just so excited...must mean it's going to be a great week. LOL.

I was never a Denny Hamlin fan either, because he did show aggressive driving even in his first season in NASCAR and it hasn't changed. Then him wrecking Elliott all that he did, carved it in stone. LOL.

NASCAR Texas Motor Speedway Race Results, Lineup | Official Site Of NASCAR

YAY CHASE ELLIOTT!!! CONGRATULATIONS. :)

Thank you Spike.

You definitely would have, they did 3 or 4 gwc's and Chase's team were telling him to shut the engine off as much as possible as they didn't think he'd have enough to get around the track for one more gwc. It ended under caution so he coasted the last half lap. 

With NBC losing 10 NASCAR cup series races for 2025 they are dropping the final 8 Xfinity races this year and CW will air them instead 

https://sports.yahoo.com/cw-network-exclusively-broadcast-final-143216337.html

The 2025 TV deal will make it harder to watch some of the races. Fox will get the first 14 races the next 5 will only be on Amazon Prime streaming, the other 5 will be on TNT or Max streaming service but only if you subscribe to the premium sports package on Max. The final 14 races will be on NBC.

22 hours ago, Spike said:

You definitely would have, they did 3 or 4 gwc's and Chase's team were telling him to shut the engine off as much as possible as they didn't think he'd have enough to get around the track for one more gwc. It ended under caution so he coasted the last half lap. 

That gives me a heart attack just reading it...it would drive me crazy watching it. So nerve wracking. At least he pulled it off, but that's cutting it too close for me.

11 hours ago, Spike said:

With NBC losing 10 NASCAR cup series races for 2025 they are dropping the final 8 Xfinity races this year and CW will air them instead 

https://sports.yahoo.com/cw-network-exclusively-broadcast-final-143216337.html

The 2025 TV deal will make it harder to watch some of the races. Fox will get the first 14 races the next 5 will only be on Amazon Prime streaming, the other 5 will be on TNT or Max streaming service but only if you subscribe to the premium sports package on Max. The final 14 races will be on NBC.

Well that sounds pretty bogus. I have Prime so I guess I have five races I can watch. Fox is iffy. SO some of them. Then again, I haven't done the best at watching them this year. But still...