Coy Meets Girl

I’ve never been a huge fan of the Coy & Vance episodes…nothing against Byron Cherry or the late Christopher Mayer, they did the best they could with what the situation was.

But, they were just sadly part of one of the dumbest & worst decisions Warner Bros. television & CBS ever made. And, I’m sorry but…even their “yee haws!” were cringe-worthy. :wacko:

However, one episode of their 19 episode-run on the show really makes me shake my head…”Coy Meets Girl”. It guest stars a young Michele Greene, who just a few years later got her stardom as ‘Abigail Perkins’ on the legal drama L.A. Law.

But, Greene looks 25 when I think she’s supposed to be around 16 in the episode, and the whole thing has a ridiculous rip-off of The Wizard of Oz vibe…with Greene running around in her ‘Dorothy’ dress, braided pig tails, and little dog companion—while the ’Wicked Witches’ of Hazzard (aka Boss & the hijackers) are out to get her. :roll:

Sorry, but this was not the writers best effort for sure…even during the Coy & Vance time. :blink:

I think I've only watched that season once and that was enough. It wasn't the actors' fault...if they got characters that weren't suppose to resemble Bo and Luke and try to have them act like them...but had cousins who were their own person with their own characteristics and looks, it probably would have been easier to accept. Still not Bo and Luke, but better than trying to copy them as if fans wouldn't know the difference. Sad for the actors who were placed in that role...but I also felt they didn't do that well of a job either as they always seemed to be reading off their lines. But they did what they had to do to get through it. It was definitely a great breath of fresh air when Bo and Luke returned from the circuit. :)

2 minutes ago, Garrett Duke said:

I think I've only watched that season once and that was enough. It wasn't the actors' fault...if they got characters that weren't suppose to resemble Bo and Luke and try to have them act like them...but had cousins who were their own person with their own characteristics and looks, it probably would have been easier to accept. Still not Bo and Luke, but better than trying to copy them as if fans wouldn't know the difference. Sad for the actors who were placed in that role...but I also felt they didn't do that well of a job either as they always seemed to be reading off their lines. But they did what they had to do to get through it. It was definitely a great breath of fresh air when Bo and Luke returned from the circuit. :)

I actually did watch most of those episodes when they originally aired, as a kid…as I was so upset about Bo & Luke leaving, but I still loved the rest of the cast & the General Lee. However, since then I’ve only watched them once—when Season 5 was first released to DVD.

I’m currently going through the show again, and decided to watch the entire thing this time. I fully agree, that their acting & deliverance of lines was not great either…but, they tried to do what was asked & expected of them.

Gy Waldron also said though, that everyone tried to tell Warner Bros. & CBS to not try and literally copy Bo & Luke. They were too “cemented” in everyone’s minds, and you couldn’t just replace them. The new cousins needed to be their own new thing.

But, as usual the studio, network, and execs refused to listen (typical admin). :roll: They think they know everything, but in reality don’t have a clue. The only changes were…the dark headed one (Vance) wore the yellow shirt & the blonde one (Coy) wore the blue shirt.

It was a sad time for DOH…but, somehow it got worked out, as I will never forget watching the episode when Bo & Luke return…one of the happiest moments of my childhood, lol, and one of my favorite episodes! :banana: 

1 hour ago, MonacoMan said:

I actually did watch most of those episodes when they originally aired, as a kid…as I was so upset about Bo & Luke leaving, but I still loved the rest of the cast & the General Lee. However, since then I’ve only watched them once—when Season 5 was first released to DVD.

I’m currently going through the show again, and decided to watch the entire thing this time. I fully agree, that their acting & deliverance of lines was not great either…but, they tried to do what was asked & expected of them.

Gy Waldron also said though, that everyone tried to tell Warner Bros. & CBS to not try and literally copy Bo & Luke. They were too “cemented” in everyone’s minds, and you couldn’t just replace them. The new cousins needed to be their own new thing.

But, as usual the studio, network, and execs refused to listen (typical admin). :roll: They think they know everything, but in reality don’t have a clue. The only changes were…the dark headed one (Vance) wore the yellow shirt & the blonde one (Coy) wore the blue shirt.

It was a sad time for DOH…but, somehow it got worked out, as I will never forget watching the episode when Bo & Luke return…one of the happiest moments of my childhood, lol, and one of my favorite episodes! :banana: 

I totally agree. Though I didn't watch it until it was a rerun in the late 90s sometime. I don't think I've seen it since then. I do love the other cast, but it's not the same without Bo and Luke. And no one other than Bo and Luke should be driving the General Lee. LOL. I feel like that is how it goes in a lot of places where everyone tells the higher ups how it shouldn't be and then they don't listen, and it lands it their faces. Sad it happens like that.  At least it onl.y lasted a season and Bo and Luke returned.

Though if we are going to question the writer's abilities here...what about "Strange Visitor in Hazzard"? That is one Bo and Luke episode I can't do or will ever understand. LOL 

27 minutes ago, Garrett Duke said:

I totally agree. Though I didn't watch it until it was a rerun in the late 90s sometime. I don't think I've seen it since then. I do love the other cast, but it's not the same without Bo and Luke. And no one other than Bo and Luke should be driving the General Lee. LOL. I feel like that is how it goes in a lot of places where everyone tells the higher ups how it shouldn't be and then they don't listen, and it lands it their faces. Sad it happens like that.  At least it onl.y lasted a season and Bo and Luke returned.

Though if we are going to question the writer's abilities here...what about "Strange Visitor in Hazzard"? That is one Bo and Luke episode I can't do or will ever understand. LOL 

The alien episode is the WORST episode of the show…unbelievably stupid! :crazy: Dukes was not a show where that kind of sci-fi crap belonged! :duh: Definitely probably the most embarrassing aspect of the show. 

12 hours ago, MonacoMan said:

... But, Greene looks 25 when I think she’s supposed to be around 16 in the episode ...

According to IMDb, Michele Greene was born in 1962, so she was only 19 or 20 when she filmed this episode. It's not unusual to use older actors. From that era, John Travolta was 23 and Olivia Newton-John was 28/29 when they played 18-year-olds in 'Grease' and Michael J Fox was around 24 when he played 17-year-old Marty McFly in 'Back to the Future'.

When I get a chance to watch Dukes (it's been a while now), I watch through all the episodes in order. It's always a bit jarring when Coy and Vance appear, but after a few episodes I just take it as a parallel storyline. I'm normally just about getting used to Coy and Vance when they leave.

1 hour ago, HossC said:

According to IMDb, Michele Greene was born in 1962, so she was only 19 or 20 when she filmed this episode. It's not unusual to use older actors. From that era, John Travolta was 23 and Olivia Newton-John was 28/29 when they played 18-year-olds in 'Grease' and Michael J Fox was around 24 when he played 17-year-old Marty McFly in 'Back to the Future'.

When I get a chance to watch Dukes (it's been a while now), I watch through all the episodes in order. It's always a bit jarring when Coy and Vance appear, but after a few episodes I just take it as a parallel storyline. I'm normally just about getting used to Coy and Vance when they leave.

I realize & know that older actors many times portrayed younger roles…especially back then. Michele Greene, as much as I loved her on L.A. Law, just looked 24-27 on the Dukes episode, to me. She looked ridiculous running around in the WOZ get-up…”and with her little dog, too!” :cornfused: Nothing against her personally, I’ve always liked her…it was the episode itself.

I don’t really care for the “alternate cousins” episodes…but, once every few years I’ll watch a few when going through the show again. I do remember watching them as a kid, when they originally aired. The fools-gold (“Dukes Strike It Rich”, I think) episode is probably my favorite of their tenure on the series.

But, the whole thing has just a disaster. It should never have been done. It was amazing when Bo & Luke returned! :tup:

4 hours ago, MonacoMan said:

The alien episode is the WORST episode of the show…unbelievably stupid! :crazy: Dukes was not a show where that kind of sci-fi crap belonged! :duh: Definitely probably the most embarrassing aspect of the show. 

Monoco Man, YOU ARE SOOO RIGHT!! ( and  I think most everybody feels the same way!)  It should've been called  " Strange Visitor To Hazzard:  The Duke Boys Jump The Shark!! " 

18 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I always look at the bright side of things when it comes to season 5. The series didn't end after 4 seasons. And it produced one of the best episodes ever...."Welcome Back Bo 'n' Luke." 

I think one of ....if not my fav. episode, is Two Too Many Roscos.......Whatever anybody here thinks is THE best or what they think about the Alien one, we can ALL agree, this one was ONE of the best anyway! 

On 2/4/2024 at 4:09 PM, Hobie Hartkins said:

I think one of ....if not my fav. episode, is Two Too Many Roscos.......Whatever anybody here thinks is THE best or what they think about the Alien one, we can ALL agree, this one was ONE of the best anyway! 

It’s actually “Too Many Roscos”…but, yeah it was a good one! :tup:

Edited by MonacoMan