What I'm Doing Right Now!

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

I've never heard anybody complain about the label  roughneck. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens someday. Everybody gets so offended so easily now. I'm pretty sure the term came from oil rig workers. I'm not too far from where  The Valley That Changed The World is located. The world's first oil well is named Drake's Well and is a tourist attraction. But I think the term roughneck started in the Texas boom...could be wrong. Redneck came from coal miners. Pretty weird since they didn't get much sun. I believe it was to identify themselves in their gunfights when the labor disputes were going on. 

I think that the word 'redneck' was only used about half a dozen times across all the seasons of the original show, so it's not like they were censoring a common word for the kids' version.

I found a website that compares two words. Here's what it has to say about Roughneck and Redneck (obviously other definitions will vary):

roughneck

Noun

• Any laborer on an oil rig
  • A rowdy or uncouth person

redneck

Noun

• (slang, pejorative) An uneducated, unsophisticated, or poor Caucasian person, typically used to describe residents (of any gender "Country Music Lyrics New Country Tunes") of the rural Southern US.
  • (slang) The nickname given to miners who wore red bandanas for identification during the West Virginia mine war of 1921. "West Virginia Division of Culture and History"
  • (UK, archaic) The nickname given to Roman Catholics in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

2 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I've never heard anybody complain about the label  roughneck. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens someday. Everybody gets so offended so easily now. I'm pretty sure the term came from oil rig workers. I'm not too far from where  The Valley That Changed The World is located. The world's first oil well is named Drake's Well and is a tourist attraction. But I think the term roughneck started in the Texas boom...could be wrong. Redneck came from coal miners. Pretty weird since they didn't get much sun. I believe it was to identify themselves in their gunfights when the labor disputes were going on. 

I don't think people are really "offended", I think they like to say they are to draw attention to themselves.  It's really pathetic when you think about it.  It's like they are saying, "treat me differently since I am sensitive".  My response to that is, "move over cupcake, only the strong survive".

4 hours ago, Kait_Tucker said:

I'm just chilling for a bit online before having some desert.  Thank God tomorrow is Friday!

Amen to that, I am ready for the weekend.  Been sitting with a heating pad on my lower back every day after work. Not sure how I strained it but it has been getting a little bit better each day. After 30 plus years of mechanic work who knows.  Be glad to get a break for the weekend at least. 

On 2/22/2023 at 11:46 AM, RogerDuke said:

I remember you doing this a couple years ago. I like the cartoons. Sure some of them are goofy but they are cartoons after all. The best thing about them is the voices....all original! 

yes...I TRIED it a couple years ago but couldn't complete it. NOW....I'm almost there!

Hey guys!  Later on this evening ( tonight?) , I'm going to be watching DOH and you know, Friday night, nothing much planned for tomorrow....perfect DOH time....just like in the old days! If any of you want to meet me here just look for me and we'll  decide which episode we want to watch.

12 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

For ME...that's expensive! ( The most I've EVER paid for a car was  about....??.....$6700!  :) )

I can't afford it either, but it seems cheap for such an iconic classic car. You'd find it difficult to get a 1969 Dodge Charger for that money, and I found a couple of General Lee replicas on sale for $75k-$80k.

19 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

For ME...that's expensive! ( The most I've EVER paid for a car was  about....??.....$6700!  :) )

That's exactly what I just paid for my new dirt bike....after dealer costs, taxes, etc. Maybe Hoss can post a picture for me. It is a 2023 Kawasaki KLX 300. It is not the SM version and is green, not the gray camo version. 

25 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Me too Hobie. All I have ever had is vehicles that my wife handed down after beating them for over a decade. Her latest vehicle topped the $30,000 mark. If she loses the key it costs $600 to replace. You can buy an entire car for less than that in Hobie's used car lot....as long as you like red. If you ask me, I'd rather have a car than just a key but she's put up with for these many years, she deserves something nice and reliable. 

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

Me too Hobie. All I have ever had is vehicles that my wife handed down after beating them for over a decade. Her latest vehicle topped the $30,000 mark. If she loses the key it costs $600 to replace. You can buy an entire car for less than that in Hobie's used car lot....as long as you like red. If you ask me, I'd rather have a car than just a key but she's put up with for these many years, she deserves something nice and reliable. 

This is why you need to send her my way! I've got some wonderful little RED buggies just brought in yesterday! She'll love 'em! :) 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I am once again enjoying TDOH on the National DOHD ( Dukes Of Hazzard Day)....every Friday....4th of July , Halloween etc. comes only once a year but DOHD comes every week....on Friday  and peaks at 7:00 pm Central!  I'm also enjoying some more AB's! ( Adult Beverages!) on this wonderful holiday!  :) 

• 2 months later...

Well Cousins....it's the national holiday again...DOHD!!  ( Dukes Of Hazzard Day....every Friday all day peaking at 7-8 PM Central time) ) and  I'm  enjoying an  AB ( adult Beverage) and I'm about ready to watch TDOH,  after the news!

Are you guys enjoying the holiday too? What episode ( s) are you watching? I'll be on a little later and keep you up on  what I'm specifically watching.....I know every one  of you is anxiously waiting!!  :)  This is really important, o learn to enjoy life as you live it and for us, TDOH is a big part of that and our holiday helps to promote it!! :)  

• 2 weeks later...