A Night to Remember(1958)

Skipper Duke

12 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Any fans of this b/w Titanic movie?

I watched it once, but it must've been over 40 years ago.

10 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Idk the Captain Smith actor in this movie. But he's very good like Bernard Hill 1997.

The captain was played by Laurence Naismith in 'A Night to Remember'.

Fifteen years before 'Titanic', Bernard Hill played a very different character called Yosser Hughes in a gritty British drama series called 'Boys From the Black Stuff'. It followed the lives of five unemployed men in Liverpool in 1982. Here's Hughes as Yosser with what became a catchphrase of the time (UK unemployment hit 3 million around this time). His character also had a violent side, frequently head-butting people with what became known as a 'Yosser Kiss'.

Captain E. J. Smith:"Gentlemen, we are in a precarious position. We must be prepared to abandon ship. Mr. Murdoch, you will master the passengers. Mr. Lightoller, you will have the boats uncovered and swung out. Mr. Boxhall, call all hands and get to the boat stations. Mr. Moody, you will help Mr. Lightoller. Mr. Wilde and Mr. Pittman will remain on the bridge. Everything will be done quietly and calmly. There must be no alarm, and no panic. I will give the word when the boats are to be loaded with the woman and children. Carry on please." J. Bruce Ismay:"Captain, aren't you exaggerating the danger?" Captain E. J. Smith:"I'm afraid not sir!" J. Bruce Ismay:"Where's Andrews?" Captain E. J. Smith:"I'm acting on his advice. This ship is going to founder!" J. Bruce Ismay:"But she can't! In any case, we can't get everyone in the boats." Captain E. J. Smith:"I know that sir. Praise God, it won't come to that."