Jump to content

The last 24 hours


RogerDuke
 Share

Recommended Posts

I attended two remembrance services today to mark 100 years since the World War I Armistice. The first was held in the cathedral where I sang last month. From 11:00am until 12:30pm, 35,000 paper poppies (roughly the number of Irish deaths in WW1) fell from the hole in the center of the ceiling. I helped to cut a few of them, as did many other volunteers and local schools.

Remembrance1.jpg

By the end, the floor was covered - it was pretty moving.

Remembrance2.jpg

This evening there was a second service, which was followed by a procession from the church to War Memorial for wreath laying. The procession included 100 people carrying candles. Somehow, I got to be at the front, bearing one of the Allied flags (no prizes for guessing which one was left for me!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got our first measurable snow today just wish it didn't have sleet mixed in with it, roads are slicker than a wet day on Hazzard dirt roads.

Don't look like I'm going to be able to get the wife that kitten for her birthday tomorrow, talked to the girl neighbor yesterday who took them to their foster home and she was an emotional mess. Apparently her and her boyfriend had a falling out or something and she's moving out. She forgot to call about the kitten and probably didn't do it yesterday after I talked with her for a bit, oh well. She's a sweet girl so I hope she finds someone that can treat her right instead of the bozo she was with, and that's about the nicest thing I can say about him without breaking the cuss rule lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Sorry to hear about the kitten and your neighbor. I hope your wife had a good birthday. We have snow on the ground but it's melting today.

Well might have found out where the kittens are. Talked to the girl's mother who was helping her daughter move out Friday afternoon. Mother remembered the animal sanctuary where they dropped the kittens off. I contacted them through email and hopefully they haven't adopted the white one out yet.

 Turns out the scumbag boyfriend was abusing the girl, thank god she left him before it got worse. Her mother was happy she wasn't the only one that thought the boyfriend was a BLEEP, she told me that it was good to hear that her 'mother intuition' was still good. Hopefully the next guy she dates is a decent gentleman.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Heard on the local news this morning that we've set a new record for November, cloudiest November on record, only 2 full days of sunshine from sunrise to sunset so far though we've had a few partly sunny days every week... and in the top 10 coldest Novembers on record. Hope December has a few more sunny days as long as we have a white Christmas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The last 24 hours have pretty much used up all my patience... Found out last night that the little Huey Hogg Weasel at the closest Best Buy sold me locked phones instead of unlocked ones last friday even though he assured me they were unlocked phones so now I have to return them since they are useless on any other network except at&t and to top it off I won't get the full refund because there is a 15% restocking fee on cell phones. Think I'll let the wife handle returning them cuz if I go in there I'm gonna be cussing up a storm. Don't know why i didn't just drive to the other one clear across town, the customer service at that one is a billion times better than the closest one. 

Today stayed home all day waiting for the maintenance guy to show up to install the new bathroom countertop, sink and faucet only for him to show up @ 3pm to tell me one of the other maintenance guys on call over the weekend used them at a different property so he has to order all new ones and I'll have to stay home another day in the next couple of weeks. Thank god the local PBS station aired a rerun of The Highwaymen Live @ Nassau Coliseum this afternoon otherwise I'd be tearing the place up and spitting nails.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hang in there Spike! My wife hit a deer this morning on the way to work. It is the first deer she's hit in 40 years of driving so that's not too bad considering she lives in the country. Yesterday I saw two fully mature bald eagles circling our house, flying pretty low. They're getting more common but still, that was thrilling. I got my cast off yesterday. It's the third one since my Sept 18 ankle tendon surgery. I'm now back in an air cast and waiting for physical therapy to start next week..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I tell ya my christmas cheer is running a little low... Last few weeks been lousy. First my pc Tower motherboard blows a few capacitors and renders it useless, then my wife's laptop fan's bearings go out so that was a nice $130 wallet lightening. Then 2 flat tires on both cars, 1 a piece and strangely both on the passenger side rear, think they were both due to the housing development construction going on down the street, at least they happened on separate weeks. Top it off the dang neighbor let his drug addicted buddy stay with him for a few weeks which is always fun for us since they get into yelling matches every single day and we get to come home to our apartment smelling like skunk and burning tires since the lazy bum smokes weed all day.

I just keep telling myself at least I have my health and things could be worse but man could I use a bottle of Jack Daniels right about now :lol: If it weren't' for watching some Dukes on DVD I'd probably get bleepfaced everynight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Spike said:

I tell ya my christmas cheer is running a little low... Last few weeks been lousy. First my pc Tower motherboard blows a few capacitors and renders it useless, then my wife's laptop fan's bearings go out so that was a nice $130 wallet lightening. Then 2 flat tires on both cars, 1 a piece and strangely both on the passenger side rear, think they were both due to the housing development construction going on down the street, at least they happened on separate weeks. Top it off the dang neighbor let his drug addicted buddy stay with him for a few weeks which is always fun for us since they get into yelling matches every single day and we get to come home to our apartment smelling like skunk and burning tires since the lazy bum smokes weed all day.

I just keep telling myself at least I have my health and things could be worse but man could I use a bottle of Jack Daniels right about now :lol: If it weren't' for watching some Dukes on DVD I'd probably get bleepfaced everynight.

Yes, be grateful you have your health. My Christmas cheer has been running low too because I'm too sick to decorate or do all the things I'd like to do to get ready for the holidays. The last two years have been a neverending battle with health issues. The one thing I want for Christmas is to be healthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Spike said:

 If it weren't' for watching some Dukes on DVD I'd probably get bleepfaced everynight.

It sounds like you have a good plan to fix the problem. I highly recommend Dukes DVDs for medicinal purposes. I think you'll be fine. When you have a string of bad luck things go your way that only means one thing. You are due for a string of good luck things to go your way. Let us know when that happens. This is the season for goodness after all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

Yes, be grateful you have your health. My Christmas cheer has been running low too because I'm too sick to decorate or do all the things I'd like to do to get ready for the holidays. The last two years have been a neverending battle with health issues. The one thing I want for Christmas is to be healthy.

There's only one thing I want for Christmas. That's for you to get better. You are an amazing person and have brought so much joy to thousands  Dukes fans worldwide with the HazzardNet. We love and appreciate you and hope you get better. *HUGS*....and try what Spike's doing...Dukes DVDs. *MORE HUGS*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Over there do they say County Hazzard instead of Hazzard County?

We don't always use the word "County" before the county names, e.g. I would probably just say I was going to Cork at the weekend. Many of the counties have a major town/city with the same name as the county (e.g. Cork, Limerick, Wexford, Waterford, Kilkenny, Kildare etc.), so the suffix "Town" or "City" may be added for clarity if that's your destination. The "County" prefix seems to be used slightly more in Northern Ireland, so it's not unusual to hear "County Down" instead of just "Down".

As for County Hazzard, if we can cope with Americans writing dates the wrong way around, we can remember that it's Hazzard County ;).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Partly the same here. There's no Counties here, we only have townships. All townships seem to have the name of the main town if they are not townships which have been merged in the last few years for some reason. We never refer to any township unless it has to do with paying taxes and stuff like that.

Townships don't even have their own police/sheriff! Those are assigned by area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, HossC said:

We don't always use the word "County" before the county names, e.g. I would probably just say I was going to Cork at the weekend. Many of the counties have a major town/city with the same name as the county (e.g. Cork, Limerick, Wexford, Waterford, Kilkenny, Kildare etc.), so the suffix "Town" or "City" may be added for clarity if that's your destination. The "County" prefix seems to be used slightly more in Northern Ireland, so it's not unusual to hear "County Down" instead of just "Down".

As for County Hazzard, if we can cope with Americans writing dates the wrong way around, we can remember that it's Hazzard County ;).

Jimmie was fond of limericks. :D Some of the ones he told me, I can't repeat here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.