The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

Here's the place where you post one or more things that you have done in the last 24 hours. It can be anything you want it to be.....boring-exciting....or anything in between. The only rules are that it has to be true and it has to be fit for a family website. There are no limits to what you can post. 

I just got done watching Charlie Brown Christmas. 

Today I did something I'd never done before in my life. I closed my eyes and imagined Hoss at choir practice. It wasn't an easy thing to do because I have no idea what Hoss looks like but that made it more challenging and I love a good challenge. In my imagination Hoss is the one in the front row wearing a General Lee shirt and an orange 01 hat...looking good Hoss! I hope you sing Silent Night like the Dukes did. 

10 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

I hope you sing Silent Night like the Dukes did. 

"Silent Night" is one of the songs we're singing. I did suggest we sang verses in different languages (I learned the original German lyrics at school), but that proved too difficult. Sadly, there were no takers for my Dukes version of "Walking in a Winter Winterland" :(.

This is probably more for the International Thread, but have you ever heard "Silent Night" in Irish?

Today was the last day of deer season here in Pennsylvania and like every year all I got was a doe. They've had something called "antler restrictions" here for several years where a buck has to have at least 4 points on one side to be legal. It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. We've gone from a million in hunting license sales a few years ago to 550,000. Part of that is because it is impossible to count points and so many people are giving up. In the meantime deer are really overpopulated in some places and car accidents are increasing as a result.

Edited by RogerDuke

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, RogerDuke said:

Today was the last day of deer season here in Pennsylvania and like every year all I got was a doe. They've had something called "antler restrictions" here for several years where a buck has to have at least 4 points on one side to be legal. It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. We've gone from a million in hunting license sales a few years ago to 550,000. Part of that is because it is impossible to count points and so many people are giving up. In the meantime deer are really overpopulated in some places and car accidents are increasing as a result.

Well, I got you beat. I hit 2 deer, in 2 weeks! One car was totaled and the other had $1438 worth of damage. I've told my wife, from now on I'm just going to pull my pistol and shoot to kill! Yes, they are everywhere around here! We need more people to hunt them!

Despite the overpopulation problems, hunters in Pennsylvania are still only permitted to get one deer or two if they buy an extra permit. That is going to have to change since there are so few hunters in the woods anymore. Today, two days after the season ended I came inches from hitting one. Luckily I haven't hit one in a few years but I know people who seem to have vehicles that are deer magnets and every once in a while you hear about people getting killed when hitting them. I guess enough people haven't been killed yet before the game commission decides there are too many deer and allows hunters to get more than one or two. 

On 12/22/2017 at 9:44 PM, Hobie Harkins said:

I just finished a pizza and watching one of my DOH dvd's of the 2nd season. I've always thought, DOH, pizza, Friday night, with the next day off....life doesn't get any better than that!

Amen to that Brother Hobie! I went to see Star Wars today with my daughter, her husband, my grandson and his girlfriend. It was okay.I like those movies but am not a huge fan so I'll just say it was okay. Movies are starting to get a little too politically correct for me. I'm excited about tomorrow. As I type this"White Christmas" by Johnny Mathis is playing. I like all Christmas music but I really love Elvis's Christmas stuff. 

8 hours ago, Roth Potter said:

The last 24 hours I have used to finalize my vacation for next year. Which will be a 23 day trip to some National Parks and cities in west USA. Any tips for foreigners? :)

I wish I could help you but have never been west of the Mississippi River except for 4 trips in the USMC Reserves. 3 of those were in the desert in southern California. One of them was mountain warfare training near Yosemite. That was the second most beatiful place I've ever seen in my life (the first is my humble home here in the woods). I highly recommend Yosemite.