Ultimate Cooter's Tow Truck -- WIP

Andrew D Charger Chaser

In the episode "Daisy's Close Call" (S6 E19) Cooter is seen using a tool box from the rig.  I can't see it in any other episode, so, being Hollywood, it probably wasn't there at any other time, not being a true "working" rig.  Still, I thought it would be a great, even necessary, addition.

I estimated the size at about 20" x 8" (when he carries it to the truck it is indeed fairly slender).  From some angles the grime from being handled by a mechanic is visible.  Appears to have a silver or light colored handle.

I scratchbuilt it in an evening, primed it and painted it the next day. 

YWr98xK.jpg

Db1mFEv.jpg

PIY3NQE.jpg

9xle4Fg.jpg

The same day I scratchbuilt a crowbar, and added a hammer and a wrench that came with the two junkers from which this project began.  The wrench was finished in Alclad stainless steel, then grime strategically added.  All the tools were made to appear worn and heavily used.  Finally all this was added to the wrecker bed, including an extra length of chain visible in the episode "Happy Birthday General Lee".  

Qh1Z08n.jpg

J9WjAG7.jpg

LwHwiHq.jpg

2 hours ago, Andrew D Charger Chaser said:

I scratchbuilt it in an evening, primed it and painted it the next day.

You make it sound so easy. This would be an impressive build if it was all shiny, but the weathering and dirt take it to another level. I can't believe that you even used different guitar strings for the aerials - that's attention to detail!

• 2 years later...
On 2/22/2021 at 11:38 PM, Andrew D Charger Chaser said:

On to the actual tow cable.  I was first referred to some braided metal cable produced specifically for modelmakers, but it was much too thick, and didn't coil around the spool at all.  I found my answer in a picture hanging kit.  The braided wire for hanging pictures on a wall was almost perfect in the smallest size, the 10-50 lb strength.  I ran it through a candle flame to give it the appropriate worn/stained appearance.  

RLCewZO.jpg

Yk0A40X.jpg

Next, some of the most critical scratchbuilding of the project, the sling.  I tried various materials to simulate the heavy duty rubber straps, including black duct tape, black latex gloves and even bicycle inner tube.  The latter had the perfect appearance but alas, was far too thick.  

I found the answer in black party balloons.  The rounded part had too many curves to use, but the balloon necks had barely enough length of flat material.  

Add to that the chains on each side and the effect exceeded my hopes.

H67y7fz.jpg

4sJDu3a.jpg

7L6xmpc.jpg

Kto3PBR.jpg

On the end of the chains are hooks; these I made from reshaped sections of paperclip, then attached to the chains and painted worn dark metallic.  After this I was VERY relieved and pleased with the result.  

2eJ8aUy.jpg

REGCnpw.jpg

Am new to the group but your tow trucks got me building one just like yours few things r a little different not much but i have alot of questions like how cable above the booms hows it hook in to at the top of the booms 

On 2/27/2021 at 10:55 AM, Andrew D Charger Chaser said:

Okay, finally time for the COMPLETED item, my Ultimate Cooter's GMC Tow Truck!  Only complaint is the decals on the door are 'way too oversized, but they were the only ones I've been able to find in years of looking.

yVMPJZs.jpg

tg8HV7A.jpg

VeRC0nY.jpg

4NT9qoK.jpg

NQmrFEF.jpg

DWpodom.jpg

2nBkY77.jpg

BRHegCg.jpg

pTwUoFe.jpg

h9MOSb3.jpg

kSDFsaC.jpg

toMOpc1.jpg

V4OAnKQ.jpg

I don't remember seeing this when it came out 2 years ago. It is amazing!

14 hours ago, tim legg said:

Am new to the group but your tow trucks got me building one just like yours few things r a little different not much but i have alot of questions like how cable above the booms hows it hook in to at the top of the booms 

Welcome to the HazzardNet Tim. I hope Andrew noticed your post and responds. Is Cooter your favorite character? How long have you been a Dukes fan? 

On 2/27/2021 at 9:55 AM, Andrew D Charger Chaser said:

Okay, finally time for the COMPLETED item, my Ultimate Cooter's GMC Tow Truck!  Only complaint is the decals on the door are 'way too oversized, but they were the only ones I've been able to find in years of looking.

yVMPJZs.jpg

tg8HV7A.jpg

VeRC0nY.jpg

4NT9qoK.jpg

NQmrFEF.jpg

DWpodom.jpg

2nBkY77.jpg

BRHegCg.jpg

pTwUoFe.jpg

h9MOSb3.jpg

kSDFsaC.jpg

toMOpc1.jpg

V4OAnKQ.jpg

This is fan tastic!! This is also my favorite Cooter Tow truck! You did a great job! ( Come on by the car lot and I'll slip you some of my fines!......hurry though....I'm drinking right now!  :)  { can I say that here....I didn't look to see if I was in the adult section!  :o}   ) 

On 4/7/2023 at 5:24 PM, Hobie Hartkins said:

This is fan tastic!! This is also my favorite Cooter Tow truck! You did a great job! ( Come on by the car lot and I'll slip you some of my fines!......hurry though....I'm drinking right now!  :)  { can I say that here....I didn't look to see if I was in the adult section!  :o}   ) 

It's hard to believe it's not a real tow truck.