NASCAR news

Garrett Duke

If Front Row Motorsports is getting a charter that would explain why they let Michael McDowell go since 2 of SHR driver's are contracted to Ford and they will most likely go to FRM, one in the 34 and the other in the new charter team. Apparently the last charter available from SHR is going for $20-30 million depending on who you listen to on Twitter. 

Clint Bowyer is getting back behind the wheel for the Nashville truck race. Will be in the #7 Spire Motorsports Chevy Silverado.

https://www.jayski.com/2024/05/29/clint-bowyer-to-pilot-spire-motorsports-truck-at-nashville-superspeedway/

Front Row Motorsports did buy one of the SHR charters and will expand to a 3 car team 

https://www.jayski.com/2024/05/29/front-row-motorsports-obtains-third-charter/

I expect at least one of SHR's drivers to go there since I think 2 are contracted to Ford and Ford would want to keep them in a Ford. Josh Berry unfortunately isn't and I think chances of him finding a cup ride next year are very slim. 

On 5/27/2024 at 6:44 PM, Garrett Duke said:

I was thinking about that today that they should have just finished the race today. I really don't understand why they didn't. And the fact that it affects Kyle Larson's championship chances due to their choice just to end it, is rather upsetting to me. They better waiver it. Yeah he stayed for the rain delated Indy race, but he's been working and practicing for that for some time now. If they are upset, they should make it a rule that they can't run in both races beforehand. IDK. He made the effort to make the race...NASCAR canceled it. 

I listened to the Dale Jr Dirty Air podcast this week, I see he's turned into a NASCAR corporate man now. Don't think I'll listen to that podcast anymore. Basically said he's sorry for the fans that stuck it out for the rain delay but that's the way it is and always was with them not restarting the race. Also said Kyle Larson shouldn't get a waiver. One thing I did agree with that he said they should just go back to 25th or better in points instead of being at every race in case something like this happens again or someone is having a family emergency they have to tend to.  

That surprises me about Jr feeling that way. I'd understand if Monday wasn't a holiday calling it after so many laps, but Monday was a holiday. All those people spent a lot of money to see the whole race. Heck the teams spent a lot of money to race the whole race. I'd think NASCAR would want to make it all count. I feel like this is some way to get at Larson for attempting to race the double. IDK. I get it is a business, but it's also about the racing. The teams. The drivers. The fans. NASCAR won't go very far without the fans. 

Talking about business and money, I had a friend send me this link that is really breaks it down how much it cost to put a car on the track. Stewart-Haas Racing getting out should be a red-flag warning to NASCAR - Augusta Free Press

All that seems crazy to me. They didn't mention Hendrick, but I'd love to see how much he puts out for his equipment and all his cars. Hendrick has the best of the best in their cars and teams.  I'd also like to know if they get as much money with these younger drivers than with Gordon and Johnson and Jr himself.

1 hour ago, Garrett Duke said:

That surprises me about Jr feeling that way. I'd understand if Monday wasn't a holiday calling it after so many laps, but Monday was a holiday. All those people spent a lot of money to see the whole race. Heck the teams spent a lot of money to race the whole race. I'd think NASCAR would want to make it all count. I feel like this is some way to get at Larson for attempting to race the double. IDK. I get it is a business, but it's also about the racing. The teams. The drivers. The fans. NASCAR won't go very far without the fans. 

Talking about business and money, I had a friend send me this link that is really breaks it down how much it cost to put a car on the track. Stewart-Haas Racing getting out should be a red-flag warning to NASCAR - Augusta Free Press

All that seems crazy to me. They didn't mention Hendrick, but I'd love to see how much he puts out for his equipment and all his cars. Hendrick has the best of the best in their cars and teams.  I'd also like to know if they get as much money with these younger drivers than with Gordon and Johnson and Jr himself.

Oh yeah Dale Jr said multiple times in his podcasts over the years that to run a competitive cup team requires $20+million a year. I could see Hendrick and Gibbs probably spending close to $150 million a year for each of their 4 teams. Haas was sponsoring one or two of the SHR cars almost every race so he was dumping more money than other teams. 

Floyd Mayweather has backed out of co ownership deal of whatever team it was he joined that ran a partial schedule last year. I could see Michael Jordan jumping ship from 23XI within a year or two if he sees it's not at least breaking even. Currently he's sponsoring either car a few races. 

Kyle Larson finally got the waiver so he can continue in the championship hunt.

Austin Cindric won the race Sunday in a surprise twist. Christopher Bell was the dominant car but blew up late in the race. Ryan Blaney would have won if he didn't run out of gas on the last lap. 

Another interesting thing I've noticed about some of the younger drivers this year, they're doing snuff during the race. Austin pulled a snuff pouch out of his lip during his victory speech. He isn't the only one either. 

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Austin Cindric won the race Sunday in a surprise twist. Christopher Bell was the dominant car but blew up late in the race. Ryan Blaney would have won if he didn't run out of gas on the last lap. 

Another interesting thing I've noticed about some of the younger drivers this year, they're doing snuff during the race. Austin pulled a snuff pouch out of his lip during his victory speech. He isn't the only one either. 

Thank you Spike for covering NASCAR. Sounds like an exciting finish. Though Blaney might think otherwise. ;)

48 minutes ago, Garrett Duke said:

Thank you Spike for covering NASCAR. Sounds like an exciting finish. Though Blaney might think otherwise. ;)

The Xfinity race Saturday was way more exciting especially the victory lap Shane VanGisbergen did with burnouts and drifting almost the entire Portland track. 

A bit of sad news...Parnelli Jones passed away today. He won the 1963 Indy 500, Baja 1000 twice, 4 NASCAR Cup series races and multiple other disciplines of Motorsports races and championships.

7 hours ago, Spike said:

I never could get into the pouches. They didn't let the flavor through.....

19 hours ago, Spike said:

The Xfinity race Saturday was way more exciting especially the victory lap Shane VanGisbergen did with burnouts and drifting almost the entire Portland track. 

A bit of sad news...Parnelli Jones passed away today. He won the 1963 Indy 500, Baja 1000 twice, 4 NASCAR Cup series races and multiple other disciplines of Motorsports races and championships.

I don't have anymore reactions so can't do a sad face. It isn't amazing that people do many different kinds of racing but it is amazing when they can succeed at the highest level of many. 

After a couple of rain-affected practice sessions, we've got an interesting grid for today's Canadian Grand Prix. Qualifying was dry, but the track was still "green" after the rain, so grip gradually increased as it rubbered in. For the second race in a row, Red Bull's Sergio Perez went out in the first session and will start in 16th place. Maybe the biggest shock was both Ferraris going out in the second session - they'll start 11th and 12th.

At the start of the final session it was the Mercedes drivers George Russell and Lewis Hamilton setting the pace. Neither improved on their second runs, but other drivers did. Red Bull's Max Verstappen's second run achieved exactly the same time as George Russell - 1:12.000 - only the second time in F1 history that the same time has been set for pole. By the rules, the driver who set the time first starts ahead, so George Russell gets pole for the second time in his F1 career. Lewis Hamilton was less than three tenths behind, but starts seventh.

The Canadian Grand Prix started in very wet conditions, but only the two Haas cars started on full wet tires, with everyone else on the intermediates. Initially, it seemed like the right choice for Haas, but the track started to dry, and the advantage was gone.

There were a couple of safety cars due to crashes (something we don't get very often these days), and through it all Max Verstappen managed to claim another win. His team mate, Sergio Perez (who's just signed with Red Bull for another two years), was one of those who didn't make the finish, along with both Ferraris. Behind Max were three British drivers, Lando Norris in the first McLaren and then George Russell and Lewis Hamilton in their Mercedes. Oscar Piastri was fifth in the second McLaren. You can see the race highlights here.

It was obviously a bad weekend for Ferrari, but McLaren and Mercedes seem to be closing the gap to Red Bull. We have a two-week break now before three races in a row back in Europe at the Spanish, Austrian and British Grand Prix.

In the NASCAR Rumor mill today.... Kyle Busch is rumored to be possibly going back to Joe Gibbs Racing if Martin Truex Jr retires, which is a possibility after his R-word rant at Sonoma he might get cancelled by the easily offended. Noah Gragson is rumored to be heading to RCR and RCR is rumored to have bought a 3rd charter, possibly one of the SHR charters. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

In the NASCAR Rumor mill today.... Kyle Busch is rumored to be possibly going back to Joe Gibbs Racing if Martin Truex Jr retires, which is a possibility after his R-word rant at Sonoma he might get cancelled by the easily offended. Noah Gragson is rumored to be heading to RCR and RCR is rumored to have bought a 3rd charter, possibly one of the SHR charters. 

Um what did Martin Truex Jr say and why? This is the first time I am hearing that he has said anything...see out of the loop I am. Work and school has me preoccupied and missing out.

Thank you for the information. 

22 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

Um what did Martin Truex Jr say and why? This is the first time I am hearing that he has said anything...see out of the loop I am. Work and school has me preoccupied and missing out.

Thank you for the information.

After getting stuck in traffic during one of the pit stop cautions he ranted about the other drivers and calling them retarded. And of course it is now making the rounds on social media with people hoping he gets fined or forced to go to "sensitivity" training. 

Edited by Spike

2 hours ago, Spike said:

After getting stuck in traffic during one of the pit stop cautions he ranted about the other drivers and calling them retarded. And of course it is now making the rounds on social media with people hoping he gets fined or forced to go to "sensitivity" training. 

Back when Jeff Gordon and Clint Bowyer was racing, Bowyer wrecked Gordon several times. He wrecked Gordon at Martinsville during the playoff race and Gordon came back and intentionally wrecked Bowyer. Bowyer ran after Gordon after the race, Bowyer's crew attacked Gordon, luckily Gordon's crew yanked him out in time. During the interview with Bowyer, Bowyer called Gordon that. Gordon got in trouble for it all. That was probably before the whole sensitivity training era.

13 hours ago, Garrett Duke said:

Back when Jeff Gordon and Clint Bowyer was racing, Bowyer wrecked Gordon several times. He wrecked Gordon at Martinsville during the playoff race and Gordon came back and intentionally wrecked Bowyer. Bowyer ran after Gordon after the race, Bowyer's crew attacked Gordon, luckily Gordon's crew yanked him out in time. During the interview with Bowyer, Bowyer called Gordon that. Gordon got in trouble for it all. That was probably before the whole sensitivity training era.

Personally I think team radios should be off limits to the public because drivers are adults and will let the cuss words fly and other remarks not fit for PG tv. Children shouldn't hear that anyways. So far it doesn't appear NASCAR will be punishing Martin Truex jr. 

In other news Fox and Indycar have reached a deal. Fox will broadcast all 17 Indycar races of Fox stations. To make this happen Fox has moved all but 5 of the cup series races they will get next year to FS1. 

As an Indycar fan this is great news...but as a NASCAR fan this means I'm only watching 5 races on Fox next year. Though some of those were already moved due to the USFL games anyways.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Personally I think team radios should be off limits to the public because drivers are adults and will let the cuss words fly and other remarks not fit for PG tv. Children shouldn't hear that anyways.

The team radios are open to the broadcaster in F1, but there is a short delay before selected exchanges are played to the public, which gives them time to bleep out bad language.

The same is happening in others sports too. Rugby referees have had microphones for a while and I think soccer referees might have them too.

Back in 2013, they decided to give microphones to the coxes of the annual Oxford/Cambridge boat race in London. One of them spent the whole race using swear words to encourage their crew. I think the lesson was learned there!

12 hours ago, Spike said:

Personally I think team radios should be off limits to the public because drivers are adults and will let the cuss words fly and other remarks not fit for PG tv. Children shouldn't hear that anyways. So far it doesn't appear NASCAR will be punishing Martin Truex jr. 

In other news Fox and Indycar have reached a deal. Fox will broadcast all 17 Indycar races of Fox stations. To make this happen Fox has moved all but 5 of the cup series races they will get next year to FS1. 

As an Indycar fan this is great news...but as a NASCAR fan this means I'm only watching 5 races on Fox next year. Though some of those were already moved due to the USFL games anyways.

Bowyer said that to a reporter about Gordon in a post race interview. 

Posted (edited)

Well y'all...I am excited and sad all at the same time about this. :) NASCAR Cup Series is finally coming to Iowa (where I live!) on this upcoming Sunday. The Xfinity Series has raced here for a couple of years now, just not the Cup. I haven't been to the track or the race, but heard it's another short track. Rusty Wallace built it years ago and kept wanting the Cup series to come, but they resisted. Until now. I am excited that NASCAR is finally here! But sad that I won't get to go or watch it since I don't have cable. But am hopeful the number 9 car will win the inaugural race at Iowa! 

Paint Scheme Preview: 2024 Iowa Speedway | NASCAR

Want to know who might win Iowa's Cup debut? | NASCAR

Weekend schedule for 2024 Iowa Speedway | NASCAR

Edited by Garrett Duke