When we were little...

BoJamesDuke

Jesse nodded, pleased that Bo was eating more. For a one year old, Bo was small for his age due to his premature birth and the long stay in the hospital. He had never had much of an appetite but by the looks of things recently that was changing.

Sitting down with Luke again, he lifted the fawn's head and showed him how to feed the fawn so that it didn't get too much milk at once but got enough.

Jesse shook his head and gently pulled the little boy into his lap, holding him close. For such a young person, Luke had already experienced so much tragedy. No kid that young should have to go through something as traumatic as losing your parents at the same time...all Luke had ever really known is death and illness of the ones he loved the most...Jesse wished he could show him it didn't all have to be that way.

Jesse swallowed softly, not knowing how to explain this concept to a child.

"Son...passin' on is a natural part of life...aint nothin' certain that we's gonna live fer long or live a little life...not everyone ya love has passed on son..me an' yer Aunt's still here...an' Bo's still battlin' on...Daisy's here too an' this little one ain't passed yet...what happened to yer momma and daddy was a terrible accident..."

• 2 weeks later...

Jesse watched his gaze with another small sigh, running a hand softly through Luke's dark curls.

"I want this lil' thing to live as much as you do son...and I've always said that love and care is a miracle worker in itself so it might well happen...I just asked that you didn't get yer hopes up in case it was too sick to keep goin'...that's all..."