When Friends Ain't Friends...

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Propping his now pounding head in his hands Luke shook it before explaining.

"There was only one between the two of us we could have easily over powered him. I'd already got loose when he came to check on us and was hidin' behind the door. That's when I made my escape. He shot at me but I kept goin' and then I could hear him screamin' at me I'd better come back or Bo was a dead man. All the while Bo tellin' me ta keep going, get help so I lay low in the woods till it was safe ta move. Walked home and saw Daisy, an' B.L. goin' down the road they saw me and stopped,then they's both came runnin' across the field ta meet me half way told 'em what happened we's waited for Cooter then took off to find Bo. The guy was movin' him when we got there but we managed to keep up and stop him but he'd already beat Bo up pretty bad."

Luke finished leaning his head back against the wall and closing his eyes.

Jesse nodded as he listened, taking everything in before watching as Luke rested his head back and closed his eyes, speaking slowly and quietly, knowing the signs that his head was hurting.

"Okay....but that still don't make it your fault Luke. You weren't escapin' fer yer own selfish reasons and it weren't like you didn't try and get Bo out. With concussions, all it would have taken was to hit one of ya over the head and turn it serious and he would have had the upper hand over ya both. By gettin' help, ya gave Bo a fightin' chance, somethin' ta believe in and he knows once he has that he don't need nothin' else 'cause he knows yer gonna come back and get him. You ain't never let him down before and ya ain't let him down now."

Jesse shook his head gently and pulled him closer.

"Luke...who's to say that he wouldn't have beat you up that bad in front of Bo and hurt him mentally that way instead when he was helpless to help you....or done it the other way around? Way I see it, you got Bo away from him before he could do anymore damage and Bo is gonna be just fine."

Luke pulls back looking Jesse in the eye.

"I guess ya right....and that woulda been so much worse for Bo ta see me bein' hurt and not able ta do nothin about it. I'm not sure that kinda hurt would heal at least physical hurts will."

He agreed having not thought of things in that prospective. Relieved that it hadn't come to that for either of them because he didn't know if he himself could have recovered from the mental hurt caused by watching Bo be hurt anymore than Bo could if it'd happened the other way around.

Jesse shook his head and put on his No nonsence voice that all of his kids knew better than to mess with.

Luke...Bo can ask and we will tell him that you have gone home to get the rest you need. He will understand because he would tell you to do it if he could see the way yer eyel;ids are droopin' at every minute....yer comin' home fer a spell Luke an' ya can come back later.

A couple of hours after the remaining Duke family left, Bo started to stir once more and slowly blink open his eyes, raising his hand up to rub at them carefully, thankfully not noticing the IV's that ran from the back of his hand giving him more blood and the painkillers that were keeping him so drowzy and light headed.

Glacning over as he heard soft voices speaking to him, his breath hitched in his throat as he found B.L. and Cooter instead of Daisy and Luke. Breathing slightly quicker and trying to push himself out, he struggled out a slurred sentence.

"Wh'...where'sLuke....Daisy...."

B.L. and Cooter jump slightly as Bo speaks not having expected to hear anything in the silent room. B.L. crosses over to the bed looking down at Bo smiling as she pushed hair from his forehead.

"Uncle Jesse took 'em home to rest for a spell, Luke was plumb wore out with all the excitement. So yer stuck with my pretty face and his ugly mugg for now *points at Cooter with a sassy grin as he's giving her a playful scowl* How ya feelin'?"

Cooter steps up the other side of the bed speaking softly.

"Hey buddyroe"