2006 DukesFest Experience

Hey ya'll ! Just got back from Nashville today, and thought I'd start a topic for DukesFest feedback. What did you enjoy the most? What didn't work out?

It's hard for me to be objective, as I was one of a score of volunteers helping out over the weekend. I saw some dreams come true for a lot of happy people. I also met a number of folks who were disappointed, because they traveled a great distance to see John / Tom and didn't get a chance to get anywhere near them. (When 75,000 people are looking for autographs from six cast members, you know the numbers ain't gonna dice out. )

On the plus side, this was the best DukesFest of the entire run. I'm too exhausted to report on it just yet, but personally I did have a great time. I'll write up a little ditty on it soon. Meantime, check out the great articles Jax posted within the DF topics here.

Tell us all about your experience - the shows, the cars, the cast, the hotels, the venue, what have ya!

Brian

Well I for one had a great time,it was my first Dukefest ever. My 17 yr old cousin went with me and my parents so while they did their thing he and I did ours. The building where the autographs and merchandise were located was packed already when we got there having drove up from Alabama on saturday morning about a 4hr drive. So we just sorta browsed around for a bit and bought some souvenirs before heading outside to check things out there.

While outside we noticed everyone headed for the stadium so joined the crowd the entire cast was there.....too many people inside we were told and so noone could get back in for autographs per instructions by the fire marshal it was a fire hazard with that many people. I was very disappointed at the revelation but low and behold everybody in the stands below me turns to look up to my row and I look behind me here comes the entire cast by within inches of me! So that made the autograph disappointmen a little better. My cousin and I got told after that by a security guard there was a door for wheelchairs but we'd already been turned away still too many inside.

:D But then this really nice sec guard told us he couldn't let us in but he'd take my hazzard county cap in and get Rick Hurst to sign it and he did! After that we were on a mission we had to get others to take my hat in LOL eventually after passing by a couple of doors with too many people around them trying to persuade the sec guards to let them in for us to ask them to do the same thing one let us in. Once inside the building we headed for the nearest autograph table which was James Best the lines were closed but the security guard let us in the front of the line I was thrilled. LOL James tried to give my hat to the poeple in front of us and when we finally got him to understand it was mine he ended up signing it twice not realizing he'd signed it already! Then it was on to find Cathy eww her line was packed and we were on the wrong side of it anyway and that particular security guard didn't look friendly we decided so off we go to find the other stars. Hot Dang we thought as we found John,Tom and Sonny. So again the security guard lets us in line where they are sending all wheelchair bound people but another one tells us just as we get almost to John he's not feeling well and about to stop signing autographs.....ok no biggie that's understandable he's sick. Sonny is right next to him so we go there and as we're waiting to get to Sonny the security guard moves the gate thingy seperating him from Tom's table and we get to scoot in there along with another handicapped person and their companion. Tom then gets up from his table (still people lined up waiting) comes over signs an autograph for us and poses for a picture with me. I tell you I was tickled to put it mildly then it was back on the other side of the gate to get Sonny's autograph he gave me a picture autographed to me personally. My day is almost complete I think if only John hadn't been feeling sick but I notice he's still signing so back to his line we go and explain we'd been turned away cos he wasn't feeling well. The same guard as before lets us in line again and different one goes to John and asks will he see us and he did :D. Got my picture taken with him too then we went back to get Cathy's autograph she was all we lacked except for Ben Jones,finding the right place to be this time up front we got ushered along the wall. So I now have my picture taken with John,Tom and Cathy all and my hazzard county cap signed by everyone except Ben and he was so busy it was hard to track him down. But I plan to go to his store in Nashville sometime when he's there and take my cap to get his name on it too there's just enough empty space for his name.

B.L.

Except for the air conditioned building for the autograph lines and real restrooms, I thought last year's DukesFest was better. I might have a different opinion, however, if I had gotten to see the show on Saturday night or gotten decent seats at the stunt show on Sunday. That might've happened if SOMEONE had contacted me like they said they would after the autograph lines were done. Instead, I waited around at Jimmie's line both days until he left and Cathy was the last one left in the building. The only saving grace to this trip was that I met a great couple that I had a good time with and got to spend some time with some old friends (that incidentally I had met EXACTLY 10 years ago on June 5).

I don't think I'll be back next year.

My Dukesfest experience was .... AWESOME!!! INCREDIBLE!!! UNFORGETTABLE!! And wild horses wouldn't keep me from going next year or the year after! I'm Dukesfest bound every year from now on!

Im sorry but there is no better way to put it! The festival was great, General Lees as far as the eyes could see and we probably held the world's record for the most centered location for the color orange EVER! Yes the weather was hot, but I live in Texas we're used to hot! The city of Nashville was gorgeous and the only real complaint I had was the construction that got me lost every time I left the confines of my hotel. I stood in line for 5 hours for John's autograph and the indoor building really made it go much faster. On Sunday, the gang of girls and I got into the festival and headed for the grandstand. We got front row seats that we held onto all day so we had great seats for the stage shows and for the stunt show. Just a tip for all you future Dukefesters... showing up early and staking out good seats DOES pay off! LOL. The group of us took turns getting up and walking around, getting food and drinks and the occasional need for a bathroom break. But all of that was worth it when we were nose to nose with the cast when they came onto the stage!

I got to meet my childhood hero, got to drive across the country and see new places and I got to spend a few days with half a dozen of the greatest people in the world that I care for very, very deeply. (You know who you are girls, take a bow!) And on one more note, I’d just like to say that meeting all of my fellow DOH-ers was a dream come true and a truly wonderful touching experience Ill keep with me for the rest of my life.

I’ll never forget the group of us going to dinner and that particular meal brings to mind something I should send to Jeff Foxworthy’s You know you’re a redneck if…

You know you’re a redneck if you almost get thrown out of a Cracker Barrel for disturbing the peace, committing assault with deadly fried okra, and if you hear banjos in your head.

Amen Jeff, Amen… :D

I might have a different opinion, however, if I had gotten to see the show on Saturday night or gotten decent seats at the stunt show on Sunday. That might've happened if SOMEONE had contacted me like they said they would

Well, SOMEONE is sorry about that. Is this why there's a job posting for a moderator on Monster.com ? Hey, at least I wasn't the one who sabotaged the forums while we were gone. I swear, turn your back on MaryAnne for a minute and she knocks the walls down.

Brian

Hey now, you can't blame the Deputy when the lock broke on this place. She's not a locksmith, ya know. LOL. Tho', she does know her way around a lock pick... The door was just barricaded for a few days until we got an expert in to secure the premises. =)

And I accept SOMEONE'S apology. =)

-M

Guest DanielPHorse

I have to chime in here on one of my first posts to the Hnet forums after a VERY long absence to say that my Dukesfest experience was one I'll never forget! And not just because John put his arm around me and called me "sweetheart." (Okay, that was ONE of these reasons!) It wasn't just being around the cast that was so great, but it was also the experience of finally meeting face to face the people who have been such an important part of my life for the last ten years. (You know who you all are!) Like John and Cathy and Ben always say, the Dukes is about family, and I feel like that's what we are . . . a family. You guys are all so dear to me, and Dukesfest only deepened those feelings as I got to know each and every one of you better. I feel so blessed to have you all in my life, and I just wanted to tell you that out loud.

The one thing I did learn from Dukesfest 06? Take a PLANE in '07!!! :lol:

I LOVED DUKESFEST!! It was my very first one. I met John, Tom and Sonny. Didn't get a chance to meet the rest. Those three was so nice. Stood about an hour and a half for John. Talked to him for awhile, then had my hat signed and my picture took with him. Stood in Sonny's line for about 2 hours, got him to sign my hat and he wanted a hug, so I hugged him. Then we left and got something to eat. that was a big mistake cause there was no way to get back in. So, then Cooter came out and said they were all coming to the stage and we ran to the stage and I was right at the 2nd row. Here came all of the stars. I was a couple of feet away from John and Tom. They all sung Good Ole Boys. They were great!! Then, seen Elvis!! He did great. Then, left and checked out Nashville. I LOVE that city. Been there before, but it was awesome. Then came back for Saturday night's concert. Oh that was the best concert I have been too and I have been to a lot of hot concerts. Like Kenny Chesney, Shania Twain, but this one beat them. Tom and John, what can I say? I love their voices. I wish I had my video camera!!! Then Sunday came, stood in line for 3 hours for him, but it was worth it when I got up there. He was very nice too. Got my picture took with him and he signed my hat and then seen I bought a picture of him and John and he also signed it. 2 autographs! that was fine. but then it sucked about the rules Sunday, one autograph and have to stand in the line that stretched 3 miles long. So we gave up. Knew that John was sick. But he didn't act like it. He got food poisoining. Heard that he ate at Cracker barrel, so probably got it there. But that's good that even though he was sick, he put on a great show with the rest of the cast. Cathy's daughters are so pretty. I did regret not seeing the rest of them, but hey there is always next year cause i am definitley going back!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'd have to say another good thing about DukesFest was meeting HazzardNet members. There were some familiar faces and some new. I wish I could've spent more time with you guys. That's part of the reason I was so grumpy. :( I wanted to see the concert and stunt show with my fellow HNetters.

Maybe we should all show up at Brian's house sometime and have a HazzardNet get-together. Muahahahaha... :wink:

WOW! Ya'll sound like it was a awesome time! :cry: Unfortunetely I couldnt make it this year due to the bull riding season so darn close and me already being behind the pack. But I do plan on going next year and I'd love to meet not only the cast but also the wonderful people from Hazzardnet. So leme see a show of hands for whos going next year?

PLease share all the pictures you can from this years Duke fest. I'd loved to see all that I can. Thank you so much!

~Chet & Dee

P.S. Wish me luck! My first practice ride (bull ride) is on the 22nd of this month. Lawd help me... lol!

Guest DanielPHorse

John's lines were the longest ones by far. We waited nearly five hours to meet him on Saturday, and it was pure luck that we even managed to be in the room when they sealed off the building.

Guest DanielPHorse

It was the same for all the tables. Each cast member would only autograph one thing that a fan brought with them. They also had pre-signed photos and other items you could buy, such a the polaroids in John's line. But you guys, come on . . . can you imagine the sheer volume of people that they had to sign for as it was? We weren't the only ones there, obviously, and we saw people with literally TRASH BAGS full of merchandise they wanted the cast to sign, half of which you know is going to end up on Ebay. The one autograph rule kept the lines moving, and it was fair to the cast members as well, who must have been exhausted at the end of the day, especially John, since he was SO sick, and still finished his session! How many stars do you think would do that, to keep from disppointing his fans? God bless that man, he's the best. So yeah, the lines were long and some people ended up disappointed, but the way they did it, considering the volume of people, was best for everyone. I stood in line for five hours, as I said, and I got about 20 seconds if that with John, but believe me, that was the best 20 seconds I had all year! :)

A lot of people went to Dukesfest to meet John, and never got the chance. Considering your experience, I think you should be grateful.

Guest DanielPHorse

I'm glad I could clear things up, but people who were there really shouldn't be going all over the internet complaining how "poorly" things were run when we should be grateful to Ben and Alma for putting these shows together for us at all. They got a lot more people than they expected and things might have gotten a little crazy, but I think it was handled to the best of the cast's, the volunteers', and Ben and Alma's ability. Ben truly did seem sorry that some people didn't get autographs, and he even apologized to the crowd in general because of it.

Ben and Alma put the festivals together because of their love for the Dukes, and for all of us fans who keep it going. We should be very grateful for that fact, and remember how hard it must be to both please all of us, and keep the shows organized as well. Until we're in their shoes, we shouldn't judge them.

Most of the complaints are coming from the Hazzard vehicle owners cause they were treated like crap. When you drive a 20-50,000 dollar car and spend tons on gas and end up getting the shaft yeah there is going to be complaints.The General Lee's and other Hazzard vehicles help draw in a lot of the crowd and then they get treated poorly.I can't blame them.

Guest DanielPHorse
Most of the complaints are coming from the Hazzard vehicle owners cause they were treated like crap. When you drive a 20-50,000 dollar car and spend tons on gas and end up getting the shaft yeah there is going to be complaints.The General Lee's and other Hazzard vehicles help draw in a lot of the crowd and then they get treated poorly.I can't blame them.

What's the manner of the complaints, and how were they treated badly and given the shaft? Just out of curiosity . . .

I can understand why there are some complaints. The same issues keep coming up year after year and some folks get frustrated that they haven't been taken care of. One of the reasons the same issues keep coming up, however, is that DukesFest is growing exponentially and it's hard to anticipate how huge it's going to be. Yes, a lot of work needs to be done. But there are just some things that can't be fixed... unless, of course, we clone the cast members so they can sign more autographs. (Not a bad idea!) LOL. There's only so many folks that 7 cast members can meet and sign for in a day.

I do believe that they should try harder for the car owners. They go to much more expense than most of the other fans. But signing every car is also kind of unrealistic. That would probably take a whole day in itself. Like I said, some problems are next to impossible to solve.

You'll never do it all in one DukesFest. All I can say is, if you go to DukesFest next year, set your priorities on who is the most important to meet and what's most important to see. Get there early and be prepared to wait.

I can say that I had a blast at Duke's Fest. I don't care that I had to stand 5 or 6 hours to get Cathy's, John's, or Tom's or the rest to sign my book. The point is that the cast took time out of there busy lives to spend time there fans. Has the ones that hollering are they even thinking about the stuntmen who could have been just to entertain us, or John who was sick. They just want something to b***h about. I'm thankful they did what they did for us. So what my seats to Saturday sucked that fact that I got to see John and Tom sing together made my night. And if asked if i go to Duke's fest again. My answer be yes in a heart beat. In stead of complaining about everything. Why say thank you to Ben and his wife without them there be no Duke's Fest.

Guest DanielPHorse

Very well said, Jessi!! You just can't please everyone, and speaking as a fan who has gone to countless convenstions, meet-and-greets and fan fests . . . you have to make your own fun, and not expect other people to entertain you.

June 2nd

Visited Cooter’s Place. Hazzard County vehicles are stored in the back; walls are painted scenery… unique display.

Cook out had been arranged at the Radisson hotel parking lot from 10am to 6pm.

Afternoon store crowd was easily double, triple. It was fun watching stunt team members blend in with the crowd.

Guesthouse International Inn & Suites renamed their lounge “Boar’s Nest†for Dukefest weekend. Nice place that offered airport shuttle. Waffles & fruit for breakfast! Pleasant staff.

A gas station convience store across the street had pizza slices or

fried chicken & potato wedges if a traveler wanted a quick, inexpensive bite to eat.

Fiddler’s Inn - This establishment’s building design had rooms right next door to Cooter’s Place. Check in/out desk was located in their gift shop.

Nashville Palace - Dance floor by one stage, tables around the other. Staff members were great. Reasonable priced food & beverages.

Highlights

1. Reaction at Nashville Palace

2. Crowd waiting outside for cast to exit the press conference

June 3rd

Shuttle transportation was available in the Music Valley area. Deal at $15 round trip both days, $10 one day – compared to $20+ per taxi trip. Drivers were friendly.

Helped out with the ski patrol / general lee rides from 12 to 4…

Funny moment: Lady remembered my gray rain poncho from the day before. It did say come prepared for the weather.

Late evening after cast concert, blue shirted fella turned from a vehicle… Sonny! I waited for him to motion it was alright to approach.

He never seems to be without that twinkle in his eyes, smile & relaxed expression. Quickly thanked him & mentioned about the opportunity to speak with his adorable wife.

Believe it or not, the grin got bigger.

Vehicle departed. Strolled back to watch fireworks launch into the night sky. Glimpse of a young man named Josh enjoying the festives through a patrol car window.

Highlights

1. Cast Stage Concert & Jessi Colter

2. Getting arrested by Josh! Ski car/general lee ride booth.

June 4th

Spotted Hazzardnet member K.G. on the track. Just immediately connected, instead of awkward first time meeting silence.

Cowboy Church time when either I called Hazzardnet member M.A. or she buzzed me. She inquired our ‘20’. Asked K.G. if she wanted to meet M.A. … Offered we’d walk between stage & fence path if M.A. choose to meet us.

If not, that was alright... so much to do there.

Halfway, glanced to see K.G. wasn’t there & a marine hued shirt woman had this expression. Trekked back over, conversed for a few minutes until M.A. sashayed to the grandstands. K.G. & me journeyed to the vendor who had fair prices on ice tea. K.G. mentioned this gentleman who looked like Uncle Jesse/ Denver Pyle... not long after that, he strolled by.

Creative ideas that some owners take in making their replica special

from a bow & arrow set or stuffed Flash look a like in the back window, fake moonshine in the trunk is fun.

Tempting to unvolunteer & spend remaining Dukefest with K.G. or M.A. Around noon, headed to volunteer assignment building, ended up at the information booth.

Strolling toward the Music Valley shuttle, Reacquainted with Werner – a fan from Belgium. He quickly pulled a badge purchased from a patrol car owner. One of many who enjoyed a fantastic stunt show.

June 5th

Silly moment: Took muffin & coffee over to have breakfast at Cooter’s Place.

Favorite moment: The cast on stage have a good time after two long, hectic days with another day full of events remaining.

No matter how well planned…anything can happen.

Wouldn’t it be something if overseas fans like Werner made an impression & it was decided on an international Dukefest next year, instead of the United States?

This year was my third time of going to Dukefest and I agree there are pluses and minuses to each location. But then again, nothing is going to be perfect or the way that each individual thought it would be like. I am just grateful for Ben and Alma to go to all the work they do to make it run. Just glad to see that the cast like Ben and the others still keeping the Dukes alive after all these years of the show ending.

I think I am one of the few that didn't even attempt at getting an autograph. I already have Ben's, Sonny's, Rick's, and Jimmie's from the first year I went. But to look at the line on both days, I just figured that it would be almost impossible for me to get an autograph. Figured I'd be missing all the other shows with little chance of getting Tom's, John's, or Cathy's autograph. I would have loved to have gotten their autographs and probably would have stood in line if I was for sure I'd get their autograph.

I think the one thing I liked about Bristol was that the cast took more breaks from signing autographs to go to the stage to sing a little bit before going back. As it is, they were on stage a few minutes Saturday afternoon and then back at the concert that night. I regretfully missed the concert because I went out to eat. They came back up Sunday, but only to sing one song together...but boy do they all look great! ;) Especially John and Tom!

It was great to see Tom there and see his surprise to see everyone there! They all walked down the isle besides me and I guess Tom kept saying he couldn't believe all the people. SUnday coming on off the track, he was taking pictures of the crowd! And always glad to see John : :D ...and the other cast.

One of my favorite parts of Dukefest was meeting a great online friend that I had met way back when I had first started online. Being able to walk around and talk with her while looking at all the Duke vehicles was great - just to get to know her better. Meeting the Denver Pyle look a like was great too!

I enjoyed the concerts that was put on...glad to see Jessi Colter this year. I was glad to see that they had Kenni Thomas come back from last year - I enjoyed his music both years. Met him last year and he was very personable and friendly. Wish him the best luck with his music - would enjoy hearing him on the radio.

Another favorite part - other than meeting people from online and seeing the cast onstage - was the car jumps! Each year they impress me on how far and how bad they can jump/land and no one yet (of the years I went) has gotten hurt! It was always a joy seeing them jump and wreck cars on the show, but even more so, now that I have seen them do it in person.

Overall, I had a great time and think that things ran somewhat smoothly. I am sure, with all that many of people, it was hard to please everyone and get things done. It is just great that people are this excited about The Dukes of Hazzard...after all these years - and to find out, that I am not the only one to feel that way about the show! :lol: If there is a Dukefest next year, I plan on going - that is if all goes right!

Keep it between the ditches

Garrett Duke

Well it was my first!! I loved every minute of it. Especially the 4 hours and 45 minutes I spent in line for Catherine Bach's autograph. She was soooo sweet and friendly even though she had been signing all day. It was worth every minute I spent waiting.

I am single with no family and I went alone. The family atmosphere there was amazing. There were thousands of kids there and their parents were just as excited as the kids. Man, it was great!!

The best part of the whole thing (besides meeting Daisy of course) was the Generals. It was awesome seeing them. It is now one of my major goals in life to get my own General and drive in the March of the Generals. What a great time.

I am comfortable in saying that I will never miss another DukeFest as long as they keep doing them.

The one regret I have was not being able to see the model cars. When I first got in the building, I rushed to get in Daisy's line thinking that I would come back. But after almost 5 hours in line I was kindly escorted out of the building. The line to get back in the building on the Sunday was like a quarter mile. NO KIDDING!! HaHa. Cooter said it best, when he said that they had the best problem in show business.... too many fans!!!

I have heard that there were some problems. My understanding is that most of the problems stemmed from too many people. They cant help that. Hopefully they will learn from the mistakes and organize things better in the future.