Sign in to follow this  
RogerDuke

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

I've seen some crazy :largecensored:on Facebook but the picture I seen over the weekend that one of my wife's relatives took or shared takes the cake. It was a picture of some of the home made masks people were wearing in a grocery store. One of the pics a mother and her child were wearing a plastic grocery bag over there heads. It was not photoshoped either. When god was handing out brains that mother must've been last in line. In another pic a couple had always pms pads strapped to their faces and in another pic a lady had a plastic storage container on her head. If you don't have a bandana just cut a bandana sized cloth out if an old shirt, fold it up and tie it around your nose and mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Dukes already back on TV over here, I decided to fill some of my time off by continuing the '70s/'80s TV theme by rewatching 'CHiPs'. I'm near the end of season 2 and what pops up?: an episode called 'Quarantine' about an Asian boy who turns up at the CHP HQ possibly carrying a deadly virus. As a precaution, everyone who's been in contact with him faces up to two weeks' isolation in the building. What a great way to take my mind off the current situation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HossC said:

With Dukes already back on TV over here, I decided to fill some of my time off by continuing the '70s/'80s TV theme by rewatching 'CHiPs'. I'm near the end of season 2 and what pops up?: an episode called 'Quarantine' about an Asian boy who turns up at the CHP HQ possibly carrying a deadly virus. As a precaution, everyone who's been in contact with him faces up to two weeks' isolation in the building. What a great way to take my mind off the current situation!

:lol:  That's a funny episode though. I finished binge watching the first season last week. 

Well i knew it was going to happen and it finally did yesterday :(, access to one of the local rivers was closed due to too many fisherman too close to each other due to the walleye run. The city didn't come out and say you couldn't fish there but they banned all parking and the park in town closed all parking along the river. Won't be too long before the rest of the access points and parks down river will be closed too since the fisherman will just move to the next access point. I hope the restrictions lift after the walleye run is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your state has laws against price gouging thank your lawmakers. Ohio doesn't and stores are taking advantage of it. $13 for a 6 roll paper towel pack is nuts. Last month before all the panic buying that same pack of paper towels was $6.99. Loaf of wonder bread went up a dollar. Packs of water have gone up so much that we bought a faucet water filter. And toilet paper well let's just say I'm glad we bought a big pack in February. I really feel for the seniors on a fixed income because they'll barely afford to buy enough food for a week with what used to buy them a months worth in January or February.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Spike said:

If your state has laws against price gouging thank your lawmakers. Ohio doesn't and stores are taking advantage of it. $13 for a 6 roll paper towel pack is nuts. Last month before all the panic buying that same pack of paper towels was $6.99. Loaf of wonder bread went up a dollar. Packs of water have gone up so much that we bought a faucet water filter. And toilet paper well let's just say I'm glad we bought a big pack in February. I really feel for the seniors on a fixed income because they'll barely afford to buy enough food for a week with what used to buy them a months worth in January or February.

We haven't had any price gouging problems in Pennsylvania. I think we have laws but I'm not sure. At least your gas is cheaper than ours. Last year we had the highest gas tax in the nation. I'm not sure if we still do...probably. Yesterday our governor announced all schools are officially closed for the school year. My grandson is a senior and won't have a graduation. That bothers me more than him....probably since he is my only biological grandchild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:previous:

I don't know if we have gouging laws here either, but I haven't noticed any price rises. I think there would be a huge public backlash if any of the major supermarkets tried it. At the moment they're being held in high esteem for staying open and providing essential supplies despite the infection risk to their workers.

Our gas prices are the lowest they've been for a long time, but we're not allowed to go anywhere. BTW. Your gas prices are still less than half of what we pay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2020 at 10:46 AM, RogerDuke said:

We haven't had any price gouging problems in Pennsylvania. I think we have laws but I'm not sure. At least your gas is cheaper than ours. Last year we had the highest gas tax in the nation. I'm not sure if we still do...probably.

Every state that borders Ohio has price gouging laws as do most states in the US.

Gas was $1.05/gal here a few weeks ago but now has crept back up to the $1.20's. it was hard to believe it only cost $7 to fill the tank in my car and $12 to fill the wife's a few weeks ago. I know it will be cheap for only a short time but it's nice not blowing $50 to fill both tanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any of you notice that since the stay at home orders that it's harder to have a discussion without it going into the crapper either on forum boards or Facebook. I regularly check out about half a dozen forums and all but this one and car forum have become basically I'm right you're wrong you're a bleep childish fights lol. I feel for the moderators of those sites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't do Facebook but if folks weren't fighting about a virus they'd be fighting about an election or Tom Brady or something else . I do forums for dirt bikes and astronomy and I usually avoid the off-topic stuff. I have gotten pulled into contoversy in the past but it takes away the fun of the good stuff so I try my best to stay away. I'm happier like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I don't do Facebook but if folks weren't fighting about a virus they'd be fighting about an election or Tom Brady or something else . I do forums for dirt bikes and astronomy and I usually avoid the off-topic stuff. I have gotten pulled into contoversy in the past but it takes away the fun of the good stuff so I try my best to stay away. I'm happier like that. 

I'd say stay off Facebook at least for now. You either get people that think it's a hoax, people that are taking it way too serious and chastising anybody that's not taking it as serious as them or people trying to make everybody laugh a little to brighten spirits :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Face Book is mostly trolls, Zionists or Zionist shills, etc. and other such trash....I stay away and advise others I care for, to as well!! 

I agree. But of course it has its benefits. I think the bad outweighs the good  and that's why I've never used it. I did start an account once with the plan to use it only for Dukes stuff but it wouldn't let me finalize the account without giving a cell phone number and I've never owned a cell phone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You never owned a cell phone?? Roger...you are indeed,  my hero and my friend! I'm thinking about starting an organization called " Ol' Skool" ….where people who are  indeed, "Old School", can socialize and keep to themselves, without having to deal with all the alien hordes ( any and all who are not Old School), radical, Leftist,  impure etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hobie Harkins said:

I'm thinking about starting an organization called " Ol' Skool" ….where people who are  indeed, "Old School", can socialize and keep to themselves, without having to deal with all the alien hordes ( any and all who are not Old School), radical, Leftist,  impure etc. 

I'm guessing it won't be a Facebook group ;).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HossC said:

I'm guessing it won't be a Facebook group ;).

LOL! :) Right you are Brother Hoss!! :)  If I get this going, it will be a separate stand alone web site! It will have different levels of commitment etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

You never owned a cell phone?? 

I've never owned a cell phone, ATM card or even credit card. I wouldn't even know how to send a text message.  My wife has all those things. I don't fault folks for having that stuff but I love being old school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I've never owned a cell phone, ATM card or even credit card. I wouldn't even know how to send a text message.  My wife has all those things. I don't fault folks for having that stuff but I love being old school. 

I never had a cell phone till I was forced to get one for this one delivery job I had 20 years ago. They come in handy in an emergency though whether it be a vehicle accident or break down. If anything get one of those cheap prepaid plan flip phone ones. My dad has one of those with TracFone and has a year's worth of minutes or whatever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an ATM/debit card, but have never had a credit card, and had never used contactless payment until some places insisted on cards only at the start of the current pandemic. They've upped the contactless limit here from €30 to €50 to encourage people to use them more, but I still prefer cash.

I've had a cell phone for over 20 years, but it may surprise y'all to know that I only got a smart phone a year ago. I used to tell people that I'd get one when my old Nokia died - it lasted over 10 years! Now I have a smart phone, I wish I'd got one ages ago. I don't do Facebook or Twitter, but I can look stuff up on the move and now that my brother has one too, I can ring him in the UK for free through WhatsApp. I'm also taking more photos and videos than I used to (although I still haven't taken a single selfie). Best of all, I can moderate HazzardNet wherever I am :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything get one of those cheap prepaid plan flip phone ones. My dad has one of those with TracFone and has a year's worth of minutes or whatever.  

This is my story. I pay CASH for everything and NO credit EVER...and I still don't have a smart phone!

Edited by Hobie Harkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the Ohio governor released Ohio's plan to re-open. Businesses that were forced closed can reopen at 50% fire code capacity. Stores that have been opened during the shutdown will have to even further limit customer capacity to 50% fire code. Restaurants will still be limited to takeout or delivery till further notice. Any venue that allows crowds to gather such as sports games or racing or music concerts will still be closed till further notice. So it looks like no racing or sports or concerts in Ohio at least until June. Didn't mention malls but I assume indoor malls will still be forced to stay closed. Oh and everyone will have to wear a mask indoors except in your own home, that will be interesting to see as there is still about I'd say 20% of the people around here still not wearing any kind of mask in stores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our current lockdown was due to end next week, but it's been extended for two more weeks. They have, however, said that some construction and outdoor work can resume.

I have not seen any masks for sale here since lockdown started (I've restricted my shopping to regular food items), and I'd say that maybe only 10-20% of people are wearing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm making a couple of masks for me and my wife since I'm the better sew-er. My cousin made a bunch of masks for the family but she sewed the ties in the middle instead of the corners so the masks aren't very effective in my opinion. Joann fabrics has a tutorial on their website that is if you can even find fabric, that stuff is selling like crazy here now.

Edited by Spike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Spike said:

Joann fabrics has a tutorial on their website that is if you can even find fabric, that stuff is selling like crazy here now.

You can find the tutorial here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this