Net neutrality

RogerDuke

I doubt that it will have any impact on HNet, but today's decision isn't the one I'd have wanted if I lived in the US.

At present, all internet traffic is treated equally, so it doesn't matter if you're streaming a movie, shopping online with a multi-national company, looking up your local church group or reading HNet - it all has to be treated the same by your internet service provider (ISP). If today's changes go through, ISPs could provide a better/faster service for companies that paid them, or charge you more to use certain parts of the internet.

The FCC was obviously quite happy to ignore a letter asking it to maintain net neutrality, despite signatories including “father of the internet”, Vint Cerf, the inventor of the world wide web, Tim Berners-Lee and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.

So far, the Democrats plan to overturn the proposal, and Washington's governor says his state will protect net neutrality. From the ISPs, a statement from Comcast says "our internet service is not going to change."

You'd better hope that your service provider doesn't block access to HNet. I can't think of any reason why they would, but the new law means that they could if they wanted to. Before the law change, they weren't allowed to do things like that.

Right from its inception, the Internet was supposed to be a level playing field, hence the reason why some of its founders cared enough to add their names to that letter. An unrestricted online experience has become a given freedom in the West. Countries that control what their citizens can see are generally frowned upon. This law isn't about the government controlling what you can see, but your ISP can.

Admittedly, there's going to be a lot of scaremongering until the dust settles. None of that would be happening if they'd just left the original law alone.

I have been online for 24 years. Net neutrality rules have only been in place in the US since 2015. Attempts by ISPs to throttle or otherwise mess with their customers' online experience over the years have been met with lawsuits and the government has generally sided with customers. Since 2015, I've noticed less competition (i.e. there are fewer options for internet in many areas). People I know in rural areas have actually lost home internet access and have to drive a half hour into town or more to use libraries or free wifi at local businesses. I don't think you have a lot to worry about.

In other words, the Internet did just fine for the 46 years before net neutrality rules were in place. I think it'll be fine with the rollback.

Nope. I'm north of where the crash occurred. When I go into the office, I take the northbound train to Seattle, the Sounder. The crash was Amtrak. I've seen those things go flying through at insane speeds and I'm frankly quite surprised there haven't been more accidents. I feel really bad for the victims and their families, as this should never have happened. Those trains can't go through 30 mph curves at 80 mph.

On 12/17/2017 at 2:07 AM, Meadowmufn said:

I have been online for 24 years. Net neutrality rules have only been in place in the US since 2015. Attempts by ISPs to throttle or otherwise mess with their customers' online experience over the years have been met with lawsuits and the government has generally sided with customers. Since 2015, I've noticed less competition (i.e. there are fewer options for internet in many areas). People I know in rural areas have actually lost home internet access and have to drive a half hour into town or more to use libraries or free wifi at local businesses. I don't think you have a lot to worry about.

In other words, the Internet did just fine for the 46 years before net neutrality rules were in place. I think it'll be fine with the rollback.

My ISP started throttling customers back in 2012 and then instituted new plans that include GB limits and when you hit the limit your internet is throttled to the slowest speed till the next billing cycle starts. Where I live I only have 3 choices for internet; my current isp, phone company which can't even get phone service right or a Satellite dish which I would have to pay a 'dish fee' to the apartment complex I live at which would offset the savings of switching. With the current administration businesses are basically in charge of Washington DC more than they have been in the last decade. So if you don't think some big ISP's will take full advantage of this you are living in a dream world.

Well, the thing is. If some ISPs will do that and some wont significantly you can be sure that there will be a big rush to other providers.

Here you can get almost all types of providers from my country. The only difference is if their christian, block certain websites by default or have added bonusses like free sports if you take their broader packages.

22 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

Nope. I'm north of where the crash occurred. When I go into the office, I take the northbound train to Seattle, the Sounder. The crash was Amtrak. I've seen those things go flying through at insane speeds and I'm frankly quite surprised there haven't been more accidents. I feel really bad for the victims and their families, as this should never have happened. Those trains can't go through 30 mph curves at 80 mph.

Glad to know you're okay. While I knew that the chances of you being in it were extremely slim, I guess it's just human nature to worry when someone you know is in that neck of the woods. I wish the survivors a speedy recovery.

11 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

LOL Hobie is always looking for a reason to take a sip or two. Now that he knows MM is safe he might even have three to celebrate!

oh yes!! Holidays are a good reason to take a sip, good friends feeling better is another good reason....always a good reason to take a sip....you never waste a sip! :) 

1 minute ago, Hobie Harkins said:

oh yes!! Holidays are a good reason to take a sip, good friends feeling better is another good reason....always a good reason to take a sip....you never waste a sip! :) 

Yes but on the days that we're not having a holiday you need a sip to cheer you up. I see a trend here...LOL

Just now, RogerDuke said:

Yes but on the days that we're not having a holiday you need a sip to cheer you up. I see a trend here...LOL

Well, on days where you THINK there's no holiday or reason to take a sip....just get creative....There's Arbor Day, national teachers appreciation day, the eve before Christmas eve.....plenty of days to celebrate!  :)