Sears/Kmart & Walmart to stop selling anything with the Confederate flag

Spike

Nine people are shot dead in a church, and rather than rethinking gun laws, it's a flag that gets the blame. Meanwhile, the NAACP, long-time opponents of the Confederate flag, seem to be having trouble determining whether their leaders are black or white. As an outsider, it all makes perfect sense. :spin:

As an outsider I never understood anything about the gun laws in the USA. If it would have been my decision I would have gotten rid of 'The right to protect yourself with a gun' when it was just created. Now if someone would put that to work I think he won't live long.

Confederate Flag question... I didn't hear anything about it. Am I happy I already got my 3 Chargers + Police car with the Flag on it. Not that I really think it will affect Europe sales much. That's all I can say about that.

To be honest all I ever hear after 'another' shooting in the USA is that all people here wonder how stupid it was to make people allow to own guns in the first place.

This might have offend somebody and sorry if It did but that's just my and probably most of my Country's view about it.

Well Amazon and Google Shop just joined the party in banning Confederate Flag merchandise  :roll: However Amazon also said it "reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of listings on its site" so Dukes of Hazzard merch. might get a pass on that regard. 

I'm all for Responsible Gun Ownership but in my opinion there's just some guns that should not be legal for everyone to own. It's really unfortunate that G.W. Bush's regime allowed the Assault Weapons Ban expire in 2004. Another thing it should not be easier to buy a gun than to get your driver's license, if anything it should be harder to get a gun. You should have to pass a educational course on gun ownership. Doesn't matter anyways as lobbyists control Washington D.C. and the Gun lobbyists have a lot of "friends" in their back pockets so gun reform won't happen anytime soon in this country.  

Everything offends me. Ban everything.

Woops, never mind. My opinion doesn't matter.

A gun and a flag do not have the ability to come to life and kill people. All the attention has been drawn away from why a young man would have so much hatred and what can be done to change that. The mainstream media is only focused on a piece of metal and piece of cloth. We're never going to solve problems if we don't face them.

Roger, while I agree that attention needs to be given to why this young man felt the need to go on a shooting rampage, over here it's very unlikely he would have had any access to firearms.

I'm not saying we don't have guns and shootings over here, but they're in much smaller numbers, and guns are not generally owned by civilians (other than farmers). Take a look at Wikipedia's list of countries by firearm-related death rate - the USA has an annual  firearm-related death rate of 10.64 people per 100,000. Ireland isn't on the list, but the rate in the UK is 0.25 people per 100,000 (i.e. the rate in the USA is over 40 times higher per captita). For anyone who's interested, the USA are currently 13th in the list behind Honduras, Venezuela, El Salvador, Jamaica, Swaziland, Guatemala, Colombia, South Africa, Brazil, Panama, Uruguay and Mexico. The USA does lead the number of guns per capita by country with 88.8 guns owned per 100 residents. By contrast, the UK is in 82nd place with 6.6, and Ireland is down in 106th place with 4.3.

From a 2013 article on usatoday.com, "Gunshot wounds and deaths cost Americans at least $12 billion a year in court proceedings, insurance costs and hospitalizations paid for by government health programs, according to a recent study."

Here in Ireland, the letters NRA stand for the National Roads Authority!

I've started to think that owning a gun is a smart thing here in the US. That's only because we have a couple under our roof. There should be a little better rules about getting guns but since the beginning, we've had the right to bare arms. It just seems to in this time and place, more mental disorders are around. In my opinion, i feel that they are the reasons for the shootings we have. Many people who own guns are smart about them but there are some that are mentally incapable to own one. Some are also too careless to own one. So yes, maybe we need a little stricter percussion when getting a gun.

The the own flag thing, it just bugs me how people can't let go of the past. We dealt with it when it was big. We need to be dealing with what is happening now.

Only your enemy wants to take your gun....nobody else cares.....think about it! The reason other countries have been invaded and conquered, by their enemies or their own government, is because its citizenry didn't have guns! This is the same reason a tyrannical government doesn't want you to have guns!

As far as the flag goes.....how stupid can so many people be? The south had more slaves than anybody and that was still only 2% of the population! Ever hear the expression, " He sold me down the river!" ,meaning someone betrayed you? The Yankees bought the slaves from Jews, who went to Africa and bought them from other Africans and brought them over here. When the Yankees couldn't get any work out of them, because it was so cold ( These Africans were just off the boat, not acclimatized like Africans today), they didn't want to lose the money they invested, so they put them on rafts and sailed them down the Mississippi to the south and sold them to Southerners. Hence, " They sold me down the river!" America had slaves until 1878. The Emancipatiuon Proclamtion did NOT free all the slaves!! It only freed those in the south, in 1865 at the end of the war, which Lincoln wanted to do, to punish the south for trying to secede. So, the American flag represented slavery from 1776-1878, and the Confederate flag represented slavery from 1861-1865. Hmmm.......somethin's not right here.....

THE ENTIRE WAR WAS OVER THE SAME THING PEOPLE IN THE U.S.A. HAVE BEEN FIGHTING ABOUT EVER SINCE THIS COUNTRY STARTED!!  IT WAS ABOUT WHETHER WE SHOULD HAVE A SMALL LOCAL GOVERNMENT ( STRONG STATE GOVERNMENT) OR A STRONG, BIG FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ( A BIG BROTHER GOVERNMENT).

THE WAR WAS NOT ABOUT SLAVERY!!!!!

IT WAS ABOUT STATE'S RIGHTS!!

Unfortunately, the winner writes the history books and in this case that was the Federal government....the Yankees!!

I normally don't allow political discussion, but this is somewhat relevant to the show considering the discussion of the rebel flag and you all have remained respectful, so I will allow it to continue as long as it remains civil.

Anyone who wants to kill badly enough will devise a way. The worst massacres and attacks on U.S. soil were done with planes, fertilizer, cars, pressure cookers, gasoline and matches. Let's not focus on what they used to attack, but 1) why they chose to attack and how to prevent people from reaching that mindset and 2) protecting the innocent from those that would seek to do them harm.

I realize that things are different in other countries and I respect that.

But there's an old bumper sticker here that makes a lot of sense.

"If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns."

Since we already have a lot of guns here, if they were taken away from honest law abiding citizens the criminals would take over the country.

Now video games are a a part of the confederate cleansing  :cornfused: https://games.yahoo.com/news/apple-removing-app-store-games-140619696.html . What's next are the history books going to skip over the years 1861-65. 

This is just unbelievable, and all of it thanks to Social Media making it super easy for a very small percentage of people to voice their disapproval of everything. 

If Brian France has his way the confederate flagged will be banned @ all Nascar Races http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nascar-chairman-wants-confederate-flag-eliminated-races-194351323--nascar.html Interesting little tidbit in the story about him also banning the General Lee that PGA Golfer Bubba Watson owns from the 2012 Phoenix race. 

Edited by Spike

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nascar-tracks-jointly-ask-fans-not-fly-confederate-153444770--nascar.html

Wonder how NBC will be handling the race this weekend, Will they fuzzy censor out all the confederate flags that just happen to be in view of the Camera's? 

Roger it wouldn't surprise me one bit the way things are going lately. 

Edited by Spike

I think it's stupid to ban it! It's been part of our nation's history for 150 years by now! Just like on Duck Dynasty, when Jase says that "We certain unalienable rights. Among them: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." If the confederate flag makes us happy, the government has no right to take it away! It is getting so out of hand that CMT banned Dukes of Hazzard from its listings!!! Apparently if someone gets their feelings hurt because of the flag, the government steps in to take the flag away from everyone else with the help of supermarket chains and TV networks, to take it away so no one else gets their feelings hurt! Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!! Someone should get a petition filled with signatures, send it to whoever refuses to sell or broadcast anything with the flag, and make them stop this nonsense! What will be next? Will the American flag be banned next? Who knows?