Forum Software Update

Meadowmufn

• 2 months later...

*GASP!!* After a long, long time and many many weeks worth of backing up, installing, uninstalling, uploading, deleting, and trying several different new versions of the software, I THINK this one worked. I think this might just be a miracle. LOL.

So, now that the forums are upgraded, I would like for all of you to notify me of any color weirdness (i.e. white text on white background, hard to read text, etc). You can post about it here in this thread and if possible, please include a screenshot. Also, if you run across any bugs, let me know. Posting images worked fine for me, but I know some of you had issues with that in the past.

And I don't know about you, but I'm ecstatic for the HNet forums to be back to the dark color scheme. Feels like home.

Congratulations on the upgrade, Meadowmufn. I'd nearly forgotten how much I missed the white on blue color scheme!

I'm still finding my way around, so I'll probably answer some of my questions myself. Here are a few comments/suggested tweaks to be going on with.

1) Other than the sidebar on the forum homepage, I haven't found a way to list recent posts. The old version let you see all posts from the past day/week/month etc., or unread posts. I thought this was an improvement over the vBulletin forum software, but I can't find the "New Posts" option in the new layout.

2) Are the circular avatars staying? I've never been convinced by them on other sites such as Google+. If they are, I'll have to edit mine as it's currently being cropped.

3) Embedded YouTube videos are huge! Only time will tell if I get used to them being so big.

4) A few signatures which contain images aren't displaying correctly - the example below belongs to Garrett Duke (obviously it will be up to Garrett to change the text color).

NewForum1.jpg

5) Staying close to the post footers, is there any chance that we could have something to separate the post from the signature? Depending on the signature, it can be confusing where the post ends and the signature starts. In the example below, I've just added a simple white line. You'll notice that I've also altered the word "Quote" to an icon. For consistency, I think it should either be two icons, or the words "Multi" and "Quote". I've also just noticed that there needs to be a space and possibly a colon between the word "Location" and the member's location.

NewForum2.jpg

I'll leave it there for now. I had a few other issues with the previous version of this forum software in the way it handled BBCode, images and videos. Sometimes posts would preview correctly and then still come out wrong. Only time will tell.

After making my first post with the new software, I was disappointed to find that there's no preview option before you hit "Submit Reply". I used to preview every post to make sure they'd look right (and to check my spelling). As I mentioned in the post above, the old version of this software gave unpredictable results, so a preview was essential. As yet, I have no idea how this new software handles BBCode, embedded videos and so on, so I think a preview button is a must. The old software also had a way to switch between WYSIWYG and code views in the reply window.

Following on from my point 5, above, if we go down the icon route, we'll also need one for "Edit".

On a positve note, large images can now be shown full-size at the click of a mouse, and the strange right-click behavior I had when using the old software in Firefox seems to have gone.

3 hours ago, HossC said:

After making my first post with the new software, I was disappointed to find that there's no preview option before you hit "Submit Reply". I used to preview every post to make sure they'd look right (and to check my spelling). As I mentioned in the post above, the old version of this software gave unpredictable results, so a preview was essential. As yet, I have no idea how this new software handles BBCode, embedded videos and so on, so I think a preview button is a must. The old software also had a way to switch between WYSIWYG and code views in the reply window.

Following on from my point 5, above, if we go down the icon route, we'll also need one for "Edit".

On a positve note, large images can now be shown full-size at the click of a mouse, and the strange right-click behavior I had when using the old software in Firefox seems to have gone.

Oh, it figures... I go through all this just to find they've taken away the preview button and customers are upset about it. I'll check for a plugin on that. It's supposed to be a WYSIWYG editor (no more bbcode needed), but in some cases the preview doesn't match what's in the editor. *sigh*

The line between post and signature should (keyword "should") be a simple template update. I'll look into it (and the other points you mentioned) tonight after work. I'll also update the menu to make it easier to find new content.

1 hour ago, Meadowmufn said:

I may be able to change the video size, probably another template fix.

The video size was more of a surprise than a problem!

The quote above is displaying as black on dark blue in the editing window. I assume it will be white on dark blue when I post it.

Three quick issues with the profile page: there seems to be an image missing from the corner of the avatar (unless I'm meant to upload something); the "0 warning points" is black on blue; should there be something in the white circle I've arrowed in the center?

NewForum3.jpg

PS. The message that says when a post was last edited could be more subtle. Maybe not bold and in a darker color. Even smaller would be still be fine. I've also just noticed that the "Reason for edit" box is white on white.

Edited by HossC
Added PS.

13 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

Also, if there are any topics you would like to nominate for Featured Posts to put at the top of the forums on the main page, please post a link here.

I usually would not nominate or upvote my own stuff but I think the Rare and behind the scenes thread should be there. Beside my own I'd say the Hazzard Garage in scale and the 68 Charger General Lee restauration.

I just tried creating a new topic but had some slight problems. The text saying I have to type a title is the same colour as the background. Then I tried to write a title... I couldn't see anything at all of what I'm typing so the threads title name is a bit weird... Can you fix my title's name to DOH Actor Clones Meadowmufn? I'd greatly appreciate that.

I've noticed a few of the color issues myself today. It's also white on white for the login form too. I will be fixing as many of these as I can tonight, with the invisible/hard to read text getting priority, followed by making the newest posts more visible/findable. The good news is that, so far, this software is easier to tweak the look than vbulletin. Thanks for all the input so far, guys. I appreciate it and hope together we can make HazzardNet even better. :)

Aside from the forum update, I have a few other things in the works and should be announcing them soon. :)

You are doing a great job Meadow! I like the new look! ( Of course everything looks red to me....lol.... not really..... but remember that one?) Hazzard County is my favorite place in the world and The Dukes of Hazzard is my favorite show of all time. The only show,where I can watch the same episode, over and over, w/out getting tired of it! Hopefully the Lord will let me into Heaven and it will be something like Hazzard!

Hey, I have a question, esp. for the veterans of the forum ( Hard core fans)......am I the only one who watches TDOH and falls asleep to them and hasn't seen the latter part of some episodes in a long time? LOL....I think it's like reading a story book to a kid. It's comforting and sends me right off to sleep! :)

Ok, let's see what I did tonight...

1) New posts are under "Latest Posts & Activity" in the menu bar. You can look at just the new unread content (New Posts) or a list of all the latest activity in descending chronological order ("All Activity"). If you have any suggestions for improvements here, please let me know.

2) Not sure how to change the circular avatar. That might be something that's unfixable, but I'll look into it.

3) We'll see if people like the larger videos. If not, I'll tweak it to a smaller size.

4) That's left over BBCode. I'll have to manually go in and fix the sig. I'll fix it when I see it, but if any of you see instances of this, please let me know.

5) Done. Easy template fix.

6) That "missing image" thing on the profile page is actually the button to upload a profile pic. Not real intuitive, is it? If I can find a better one, I'll try to replace it.

7) Fixed the quote colors. If you have a better color combo suggestion, let me know.

8) Still working on the warning points colors. I'm not seeing them, probably because I'm an admin. I'll have to set up a test account.

9) I have no idea what that white circle is. Another thing I'll have to research.

10) Unbolded the "Edited" message. If you'd like me to tweak it some more, let me know.

11) Rare and Behind the Scenes photos is already in the featured topics on the main forum page. I've added the Hazzard Garage and Jaak's 1968 General Lee Project. I'm going to limit the featured topics to 10 so as to not take up too much room.

There are still some various color issues I'm working on. If you spot any more, please post here and include screenshots if you can.

On 05/02/2016 at 8:00 AM, Meadowmufn said:

1) New posts are under "Latest Posts & Activity" in the menu bar. You can look at just the new unread content (New Posts) or a list of all the latest activity in descending chronological order ("All Activity"). If you have any suggestions for improvements here, please let me know.

This is much better, thank you. I normally set it to show all content updates (posts) in the previous 24 hours. Would it be possible to have options like the previous version of the software, or to remember my custom settings?

7) Fixed the quote colors. If you have a better color combo suggestion, let me know.

I'd be happy with the standard dark blue background. I think the orange border is enough to highlight the quote.

8) Still working on the warning points colors. I'm not seeing them, probably because I'm an admin. I'll have to set up a test account.

It seems to be an element/class called "ipsType_sectionHead" (the same class is used for the "Edit Stream Settings" heading). Another one which displays as black on dark blue is "ipsType_pageTitle ipsType_largeTitle".

10) Unbolded the "Edited" message. If you'd like me to tweak it some more, let me know.

Is there any chance it could be a different color from the main message text, maybe gray or light blue?

10 hours ago, HossC said:

I normally set it to show all content updates (posts) in the previous 24 hours. Would it be possible to have options like the previous version of the software, or to remember my custom settings?

I've just noticed the "Save as new stream" button, so I've managed to do this for myself!