Q & A of NASCAR

Garrett Duke

I've seen the cars with their rain covers on. What happens if it gets rained out 'til Monday - do you get refunds?. What does a ticket cost in the first place?.

People can go to the races on Monday if they are rained out. Perhaps if they don't get to go on Monday, the could get a refund. I don't know. Tickets range from seats and what track it is at. They have been advertising pretty cheat tickets this year. I think they are trying to get more people to come to the races as the number of people at the track and viewers on TV have went down a lot. It is pretty sad to watch races with half full stands. Especially the Indy race. Michigan, where they raced today, they said they had a pretty good attendance at.

I hope that helps you any. They put covers on their cars when it does rain to protect the cars. They do have big driers to dry the track when it does rain, though it takes a while to dry the track if it does rain a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Garrett, Do you think Jimmie Johnson is just taking it easy to make things exciting and after The Chase starts, the real JJ will come out and he'll return to dominating fashion?

Also, is Dale Jr officially eliminated yet?

I don't know what to think about what is going on with Jimmie Johnson. The last four years he has drove flawlessely to get the championship, his crew has been flawless as well. This year I have seen him make some mistakes, his crew had a few bad pit stops, and they have ran into uncharacteristically bad luck for him. Luck has been on his side the past few years as of now, but he's had a good run of bad luck. He started the first half of the season off great with five wins, but after that, nothing. Same can be said about Denny Hamlin. I don't know if I'd say he's taking it easy...guess with five wins he can afford to do that to an extent, but he's not locked in the chase so he's taking some risks if all this is him taking it easy...but it is sure giving people something to talk about and with the bad attendance and low TV viewings, I'm sure they are all looking for ways to make it exciting to gather more viewers. If that is the case though, I'd be rather disappointed in JJ that he'd be doing all this on purpose and not giving it his all. I want it all to be legit and not be made up or coerced so to speak. Though he has had bad luck and isn't doing the greatest now, he will most likely make it into the chase where him and Denny Hamlin will be at number one since they both have five wins. More than anyone this year. And the chase is when JJ and his team really seems to step up to the plate and make it all happen. So unless his bad luck follows him into the chase, I see him returning in dominant fashion come chase time...he always picks it up then. He does all he can to get into the chase, get some extra points, and then gives it his all...

As for Junior, I am ninety percent sure he will not be making it into the chase. Only Kevin Harvick and Jeff Gordon has been officially locked into the chase, but also heard that most likely the top ten will be in the chase (including JJ) when it comes time for the chase. Junior is sixteenth I think and some points back. I don't see him making it. I haven't heard that he's been officially eliminated yet so maybe he could make it, but I doubt it with how far back he is right now. I don't know what is his deal is, he's a great guy, great driver, and has the best equimpment under him...it's a win combination right there and yet he isn't driving. Something isn't adding up. Junior is my third favorite driver...I really hope his team and him can step it up and be better next year. He hasn't had a great year this year or all that good of a year, but I do believe he had a better year than last year where he finished the year out at 25 spot int points. But he's still not where he should be. . .

A couple of questions for you:

1) When there was a full course caution at Bristol they said some drivers not on the lead lap 'get a lap back' - who gets a lap back and why?.

2) I only get to see highlights of the Sprint Cup race, but I know there's 2 other races over the weekend because Kyle Busch won the sweep. What are the 2 races I don't get to see, and what relevance are they to the points standings?.

A couple of questions for you:

1) When there was a full course caution at Bristol they said some drivers not on the lead lap 'get a lap back' - who gets a lap back and why?.

2) I only get to see highlights of the Sprint Cup race, but I know there's 2 other races over the weekend because Kyle Busch won the sweep. What are the 2 races I don't get to see, and what relevance are they to the points standings?.

1.) NASCAR has a new rule this year that the drivers a lap can not stop for pits and do a drive round or something like that and get back onto the lead lap. They normally let them do that after the drivers get back out from pitting.

2.) NASCAR has three main divisions. Crafton Truck Series, Nationwide Series, and Sprint Cup Series. Crafton Truck series is where they drive a truck...Nationwide Series is a step down from the Sprint Cup. Don't know if you're a baseball fan, but Nationwide Series is what AAA baseball is to the MLB. (Do you have baseball where you live? LOL. Just take it for granted that everyone has baseball.) It is where most drivers start before going to the Sprint Cup, but Sprint Cup drivers are allowed to drive Nationwide as well. Sprint Cup Series is the elite series, the main serieis. Kyle Busch owns his own truck in the truck series and think he only drives a limited schedule there, but could be wrong about that since I don't really follow or watch the truck series. He races all the Nationwide series races and of course all of the Sprint Cup Series. He won in all three series last weekend at Bristol which has never been done before, until last weekend when he did it.

As for points...each series has their own point system. So his points go in that division and won't transfer over to another division.

Thanks, I'm starting to understand it bit by bit. I'm sure it would be easier if I got to see full coverage and not just highlights.

Do you have baseball where you live? LOL. Just take it for granted that everyone has baseball.

No we don't - I think it's only played in the North America - that's why you called it the World Series :lol: (sorry, couldn't resist). Us Europeans (it was either the English or the French) just invented it for y'all. Over here they play hurling, Gaelic football, rugby, and soccer.

You can check out some hurling here:

If you're really brave you can watch the match with Irish commentary :):

Thanks, I'm starting to understand it bit by bit. I'm sure it would be easier if I got to see full coverage and not just highlights.

No we don't - I think it's only played in the North America - that's why you called it the World Series (sorry, couldn't resist). Us Europeans (it was either the English or the French) just invented it for y'all. Over here they play hurling, Gaelic football, rugby, and soccer.

Oooo now you've gone and done it...must think your pretty brave to be sitting there like that and dissing my other favorite sport. :( LOL. Though I do think it is played else where and not just in the United States. They get a lot of their players from Central America and know in the winter some players go to China or some Asian country to play a game of baseball or so. But I don't know much about that. I just know the teams and what is played here in America. Am a die hard Cubs fan...no matter how bad they are this year. :(

You can keep your hurling, soccor, rugby, and Gaelic football. :) I'll stick with my NASCAR and baseball, something I know about. It is interesting the different types of sports each country has and all that. That is too bad you only get NASCAR highlights...that would drive me crazy to not be able to watch the whole thing! Well go ahead and ask any question you have and I will try to answer them for you. :)

...that would drive me crazy to not be able to watch the whole thing!

I know what you mean. F1 is back this weekend after a long break. With interactive satellite TV I get to watch the first 2 practice sessions on Friday, 3rd practice and qualifying on Saturday, and the whole race on Sunday, all without a single commercial break because it's on the BBC.

I know what you mean. F1 is back this weekend after a long break. With interactive satellite TV I get to watch the first 2 practice sessions on Friday, 3rd practice and qualifying on Saturday, and the whole race on Sunday, all without a single commercial break because it's on the BBC.

Oooo now you are making me soooo jealous and happy for you all at the same time! LOL. I am glad that you are able to watch your F1 practies, qualifying and the race! I am happy for you that way...jealous of you because the Sprint Cup has this weekend off. Meaning no race for me to watch. I'm going to be soooo lost. :( LOL. Could watch the Nationwide Series race in Montreal if I remember, but don't generally watch those. . .Glad F1 is back for you to watch. I take it your long break is longer than a week or two, so I guess I should consider myself lucky it is only for one weekend .Still seems like a long time to wait for a race. LOL...

Oooo now you've gone and done it...must think your pretty brave to be sitting there like that and dissing my other favorite sport. :( LOL.

The English have traditionally been good at inventing team sports. Then they show the rest of the world how to play and, very unsportingly, the rest of the world come back and beat us :(.

Surprisingly, hurling and Gaelic Football are played in small patches around the world - if you live in a part of the US with an Irish community, it may be played there.

Kasey Kahne, AJ Allmindinger, Elliot Sadler, and Paul Menard are currently racing for Richard Petty. Sadly I don't think any of them are going to make it into the chase this year. Kasey Kahne is the best driver of the crew and he is in sixteenth spot as of right now. Also, Kahne and Menard are definately leaving after this year. Kahne to Red Bull and Menard to Richard Childress Racing. Elliot Sadler's contract will end at the end of this year and of what article titles suggest, he don't know what he is going to do next year. Leaving Allmindinger as the only for sure driver for next sure...don't know if they have found anyone to replace the other drivers. . .

Kasey Kahne, AJ Allmindinger, Elliot Sadler, and Paul Menard are currently racing for Richard Petty. Sadly I don't think any of them are going to make it into the chase this year. Kasey Kahne is the best driver of the crew and he is in sixteenth spot as of right now. Also, Kahne and Menard are definately leaving after this year. Kahne to Red Bull and Menard to Richard Childress Racing. Elliot Sadler's contract will end at the end of this year and of what article titles suggest, he don't know what he is going to do next year. Leaving Allmindinger as the only for sure driver for next sure...don't know if they have found anyone to replace the other drivers. . .

Well Roger, I am going to correct myself on this past post...can't believe I was dumb enough to forget this. Marcos Ambrose is going to be taking over Kasey Kahne's car next year. So for next year the only for sure drivers that will be racing for Richard Petty will be Marcos Ambrose and AJ Allmindinger. Sounds like Sadler does have another job prospect, but will not make the announcement until another couple of weeks or so. I can't believe I forgot about Ambrose going over to Petty Interprises. I am excited for him to be driving the number nine car. I like Ambrose...he is always so positive and everytime I see him, he's smiling. Hope he has a better year than he has this year. He's had nothing but bad luck this year.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, what did you think of Bowyer's fine Garrett? I know it's the talk of NASCAR so I figured our resident expert would have something to say about it.....LOL

Resident expert ;) thanks Roger!

And yeah, I've had a few words here and there this week over what all had happened. I feel bad for Bowyer, he is a good driver and a good guy, but by now he should know the rules and play by them. If you have to cheat in order to get the win, then it isn't winning in my mind. Not saying I think he did it on purpose, but still not playing by the rules. When Johnson got fined for his car weighing too much or something like that (it was when the new car first came out) his crew cheif, Chad Knaus, made a statement that the crew cheif is paid to push the limits with the car in order to get away with as much as possible. Something like that. Well Bowyer obviously went over the limits in NASCAR's mind. And to be fair to Bowyer, he may not have known about it. Perhaps it was his crew chief did it in order to push Bowyer for the win. Which he did get after 88 races in between his last win. But if you ask me, they should have taken the win away from him and gave it to the second place guy. As I said, to cheat to win, shouldn't qualify as a win in my book.

I'm not saying what he did helped him win, but it makes me wonder if it did help him finish the race without running out of gas. After all, Bowyer and Stewart both pitted at the same time and Stewart ran out of gas two laps before the drop of the checkered flag, where as Bowyer ran out of gas doing his victory burn out. I didn't see the race on TV, so I don't know how Bowyer saved gas where as Tony didn't, heard someone online say Bowyer was fighting pretty hard with the third place guy and if that is so, that would have cost him some gas as well so he wasn't saving gas by doing that. As I said, I don't know if that helped him save or get more gas or not, just saying it makes me wonder. . .

But as far as the punishment goes...OUCH! Six weeks without the crewcheif he's had all year or his car cheif. Meaning he has to find two other guys he likes and trusts to fill their spots. Not only that...what hurts the most is 150 championship points. He has absolutely no chance of winning the championship now. Unless he has nine stellar races and the other eleven drivers in the chase has lousy race...which I really don't see happening. Never seen NASCAR punish a driver with that many points, so it also makes me wonder, how big of an infraction it was. Or if this is NASCAR's way of setting an example. Either way you look at it, I am sure Bowyer felt like he got the wind knocked out of him when he heard that. I heard Larry McReynolds from FOX's NASCAR coverage say that the drivers can get a maximum of 161 points by leading the most laps and winning the race and perhaps where they start (Dont' know about that.) So, in my opinion, if NASCAR is going to fine him 150 points, they should have just taken the points he got from winning the race away from as well as the W in the win colomn. Give it to the guy who came in second (of course they'd have to search his car as well) who earned the win honestly.

Sorry for my rambling long answer...hope y'all aren't asleep with boredom here. Thanks Roger for giving me the opportunity to voice my opinion on the topic. It is a big deal in NASCAR and amongst the fans I would think. As I said, I don't remember NASCAR fining anyone this big, especially come chase time when it all counts. I almost think they should kick him out of the chase if Ryan Newman in thirteenth has more points than he does now that he's been fined. Though with the chase set, doubt they would do that.

Thanks for your opinions there, Garrett. It seems odd that the announcement of the fine made big news, but details of the reason behind it trickled out slowly. From what I can see it was to do with the position of the car body relative to the frame exceeding tolerances. I'm sure everything is designed on computers nowadays, so they must have known if the car was illegal.

I hate it when race results get changed due to slight technical infringements. It happens once in a while in F1. There's been a lot of scrutiny of Red Bull's front wing this season, with several other teams questioning the amount of flexibility. The FIA (governing body) have now introduced stricter testing, and Red Bull have changed their wing design, despite claiming it was legal all along. There was another case a few years ago when Honda got excluded for running their cars too light. The cars are weighed without fuel, but they argued that their cars had to keep a residual amount in the tank that should be included in calculations.

I suppose this type of sport is now so technical, thousanths of a second make a difference, so everyone pushes the limits as far as they can. Inevitably, lines will get crossed occassionally. Much as I dislike it, I don't think this is the last time this sort of thing will happen.

You are very welcome, Hoss. I am always glad to offer my opinion when it comes to NASCAR. :) It was interesting to hear or learn about F1...I know very little about it other than their cars look different. ;)

Yeah I do find it odd how info is coming out now that the penalty has been handed out. I read on Yahoo!'s NASCAR page that Clint Bowyer is upset and says he's innocent - he wouldn't cheat in order to win. I want to believe him, he is a good guy and one of the drivers I do wish well for, but at the same time, how did NASCAR come up with it? And why? I guess Bowyer said that the amount of the infraction on his car wasn't even as thick as a quarter that NASCAR had claimed it to be. Which doesn't sound like that much, but I guess it wouldn't take much to change the car.

Another thing with Bowyer, he was warned after last week's race that his car almost didn't pass inspection. Bowyer said his crew got their rear ends chewed out for that, so according to him they wouldn't push it again after that. They were told the car would be taken back to be searched in Loudon whether he won or lost due to his NH car - so I will give it to Clint when he says that why would they do it if they knew NASCAR was taking the car? And yeah he could have hit it purposely doing a burn out so that NASCAR wouldn't be able to search it...heard a truck had to push him at the a two ton tow truck pushed him into victory lane, so maybe that could have done? His car did pass pre and post race inspection, which brings up how did it pass then and not when they brought it to the shop? I don't know. That's what Clint is saying and asking. (I just heard Bowyer's press conference, it says about the same thing, but glad to share it if you want it. Let me know. He was pretty calm and out front about it. He does confront a compelling case for him and his team.)

Which only complicates things on what to believe and what not to believe. If he is right, he definately did not deserve the penalty. I do believe I remember another case that NASCAR found something wrong with a car in the shop after passing post race inspection. So I guess it can happen. I do believe that NASCAR must have some definate grounds to fining Bowyer with if they are fining him so heavily...Bowyer says it is to make an example, but if they are to make an example out of him, would they fine him so heavily? I don't know. I guess that only NASCAR and Bowyer and his team are the ones that know the best about it. All I know is that NASCAR found something wrong with his car and that him and his team got hit with a heavy fine.

I guess the bottom line is that NASCAR found something wrong with his car and they fined him to how they thought fit to the crime. But if he didn't do it on purpose, it was a pretty steep penalty to pay. Especially now that it is chase time.

I voiced my two cents worth...what's y'alls?

Garrett, is there any precident for this size of fine. A couple of weeks back in F1, Ferrari got fined $100,000 for 'team orders'. Basically, in F1, the teams (each of 2 cars) cannot make one of their drivers give way to the other. Ferrari sent one of their drivers, Felipe Massa (who was in the lead), the radio message 'Fernando (his team mate) is faster than you. Do you understand?'. He subsequently let him by, and the authorities slapped them with the fine. This pales into insignificance compared to what happened to McLaren in 2007. They were found to be in possession of technical data belonging to rivals Ferrari. They got stripped of all their constructor's points (their drivers' points added together - drivers compete for the drivers' championship, teams for the constructors') and got fined $100 million.

Hoss - Wow a hundred million dollars? Talk about a lot of cash! I don't know how NASCAR decides what to fine them. All I know is, is that Bowyer's fine is the highest I've seen them go. I'm sure the money part of it hits hard, but isn't their main concern right now...right now I am assuming that their more mad about the points and the suspencsion of Wilson right now. At least I would be. They earn a lot of money, so I am assuming they can write the check and move on from there, but points? That's hard to make up, especially with only nine races left to go!

WHOA! There's a NASCAR SECTION now!!!! :o wow... I've been gone awhile... ahaha... Hey Garrett! How's my #11 Denny Hamlin doin??

WB GLG! Glad to see you back and to see you found one of my favorite threads on the board! YEE HAAA!!!!!!!! Think the Dukes would've loved it too! Now for your question . . .

Hamlin as far as points is going, is doing great. He is number one with Kevin Harvick breathing down his neck 45 points behind him in second. He's won six races thus far in the season which has won him the number one positin now that it is chase time.

Though talking about Hamlin...he knows how to stir the fire as they say. After Bowyer got fined and all that, Hamlin was quick to speak up against Bowyer and RCR team saying they have been pressing the envelope for some time and that he isn't surprised that they got caught. He said something of how that little of a mishap can help a lot...something like that. Anyway you look at it he had words for RCR (Richard Childress Racing - where Clint races for).

Kevin Harvick, who is another RCR driver, teammate of Clint's - today at practice got a little payback at Hamlin for what he said by running him into the wall to damage both of their cars. They had words with each other since their garage stalls are located next to each other. Richard Childress didn't come out and say it was payback, but he definately didn't deny it either.

The drama thickens...All I have to say, is that they better not bring it to the race tomorrow where they could take out innocent other drivers around them...such as Gordon or Johnson ;). Not saying I approve of what Harvick did, but Hamlin needs to keep in his own business and not what he thinks of Bowyer or RCR. My opinion. Sorry GLG, know you like Hamlin and for your sake, glad your driver is doing so good, but don't think Hamlin should have spoken out as he did about it.l

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got 'round to watching highlights of the Charlotte race today. I enjoyed the battle for 2nd in last 10 or so laps. Garrett, I know you missed the beginning, but Ryan Newman had a spin early on. I remembered him as the Army car, but couldn't see any Army sponsorship on his car - has he changed sponsors or did I remember it wrong?

Hoss C - Great question. You are remembering correctly. He was and is sponsored by the Army. (I had to go look it up to make sure he was still sponsored by them! LOL) But he is. Each driver has tons of sponsors, but have one or two that is the primary sponsor that holds the biggest logo on the car and is the one most known for that car (Like Army for Newman, or Dupont for Gordon (sadly, Dupont is dropping Gordon as his primary sponsor so he is currently in the search for another primary sponsor :( Dupont has been with him his entire career!), or Lowe's for JJ). But some drivers do have other sponsors that are bigger than the others (Like Gordon has both Pepsi and National Guard that he occasionally has a car for - though starting next year National Guard is going to be focused upon Jr.) So, I didn't see Newman's car, but I am sure it is a lesser sponsor than Army, but does sponsor him pretty heavily for him to have a car of it. I know Tornadoes sponsors him and he has a car or two for them. If that makes sense.

Ryan Newman has a Dukes connection...he lives down the road from James Best and Best helps support Newman's charity or foundation which is to support animal shelters for dogs and cats.

Yeah the fight for second place was great between Kyle Busch and Jimmie Johnson. I was pulling for Jimmie to pass Busch, but he just couldn't quite do it. Too bad to, don't think JJ would have complained about finishing second as Kyle Busch did. My opinion, of course.

Thanks for clearing that up Garrett. Teams in F1 tend to keep roughly the same livery throughout the season (and both cars in each team are virtually identical). There are exceptions to this. Sometimes a local sponsor will be added for a race. Occassionally a sponsor will pull out mid-season. When Renault were found guilty of having one driver deliberately crash so the other could win, a couple of major sponsors left.

My favorite single race sponsorship deal was Red Bull/George Lucas for the 2005 Monaco Grand Prix:

4058_23050590055.jpg

They even dressed the pit crew as stormtroopers and Darth Vader:

4058_23050524109.jpg

More pictures here.