Days of Shine and Romance!

DixieDavenport

At the Davenports, Dixie had went to her room early. The memories of the court hearing were replaying over and over in her mind. She wrote a note to Jeb, "Jeb, I don't know why all of a sudden you took an interest in me, but I'm glad you did. Until now everyone thought of me as Cooter's little sister. I was so looking to everyone being with me on my next birthday. It's supposed to be really special but without you guys it will be just another day. Everyone expected Jesse to be able to bond you all so you'd be home at least until court. I don't know what happen on that run, but this ain't right! Dixie." She then worte a similar note Luke. "I don't know why Jeb all of a sudden paid any attention to me But I have a feeling it's because of you. Thank you. We didn't have long to get to talk but thank you. I've never been able to say this to you beofre and I guess it doesn't matter now with you in jail, married, and the baby it doesn't matter, but I wanted you to know something. Lori isn't the only Davenport who ever had a crush on you. I just knew I was always too young and Lori was right there with you so I never got a chance to let you know how I really felt. I was so looking to everyone being with me on my next birthday. It's supposed to be really special but without you guys it will be just another day. Everyone expected Jesse to be able to bond you all so you'd be home at least until court. I don't know what happen on that run, but this ain't right! I'll listen anytime you need someone too mo matter what happens with you or between you and Lori. Please don't let Lori know about this. Dixie." She would put them in the mail in the morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jesse cautioned them, "Now, don't go getting our hopes up I just said I'd be willing to talk."

Lori looked worried, "You can't be thinking about trusting them can you?"

Jesse put his arm around her, "If it helps my boys and that therr little one I may have to."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the garage, Cooter was lower than an Earth worm. He was sure glad to see Coy and Vance pull in. "Hey fellas. How's Uncle Mr. Jesse and everyone?"

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coy and Vance looked to Cooter and replied,"Lori is breaking down as is Daisy, we're pissed and Uncle Jesse had talked to Roach."

Coy and Vance told Cooter about the talk Roach and Jesse had.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke recieved the letters and read them, Bo and Jeb wanted to know who it was. Luke was reading it gritting his teeth and biting his lips. He never knew Dixie felt that much, then he thought,"Ohhh sh** if Lori found these his goose would be cooked."

Luke looked to Bo and Jeb trying to read the letters. Later that day he got pen and paper and replied......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lori sighed and got dressed she went to that class that B.L. signed her and Luke up for.

Cooter whistled low! "They are asking alot of Uncle Jesse. Any idea how much it may help the boys?"

Vance replied, "Roach said He couldn't promise anything but felt the higher ups would want to deal!"

Cooter replied, "Dang! We can only hope fellas! Anyone know what went on?"

Vance replied, "Jesse said Luke said something about being upset with Lori. He'd cut the radio off after a fight. Didn't realize until it was too late he didn't cut it on before leaving. Jeb said something about calling three times for Luke with out and answer."

Cooter asked, "What were they fighting about?"

Vance said, "From what I gather Lori told him she is pregnant. He thought she tricked him into getting her pregnant after they were married. But from what we heard today it must have happened when they got together that night of the run to Johnson County."

Cooter nodded and.............

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke had told Bo and Jeb it didn't matter who the letter was from anymore since they weren't going home anytime soon and that he'd appreciate them keeping it to themselves. Lori didn't need to get upset about 'nothing' that she had enough problems as it was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lori 's first assignment int he class was to shop for a week for 2 people with $100. She was given a sale bill and told to make a list of what she would buy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later when he thought Bo and Jeb wasn't paying attention luke worte, "Dixie, I never knew about your feelings for me. I have always been close to you, BL and Lori. I agree with you, right now the point is mute and I can't lie I don't know if anything would have changed had I know sooner of your feelings for me. I did for you that night with Tommy what I would had done for anyone. I won't tell Lori, she has enough going on. You do now this whole thing is my fault. I wsa upset with Lori. I took off to the still site to wait on Bo and Jeb I had turned off the radio cause I was mad at Lori. I didn't turn it back on. Jeb called for me like 3 times I didn't here him! I seen they were caught and went back to them! It was all my fault. Luke"

Cooter nodded and looked to them,"Fellers..its pretty bad... I know Dixie has "feelings" for Luke...Lori speculates..and what strong relationship between Dixie and Lori there was is now gone.... I've seen Lori go around cursing Dixie, and Dixie doing the same. Dixie was writing something and it had Luke's name on it but I didn't know what it was."

Coy and Vance shook their heads, Vance still loved Lori,"Well she's got too much to worry with so I ain't gonna tell her, something her and Luke should fight about."

Coy nodded to Cooter's statement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke handed the note to the sheriff letting him drop it off to the post office.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Vance got home and saw the frustrated look on Lori's face he smiled. Then he smile went to a frown,"Hey Lori.....can I uhh...talk to you.?"

Lori sighed and got up,"Yea?"

Vance took her to the couch and said,"I gotta tell ya this... Luke and uhh. Dixie.... well Cooter said he saw some kinda note from Dixie going to Luke or was about him...."

Lori's heart had fell 10 stories high and shattered. She had tears in her eyes and said,"I told him I loved him....he...he..lied to me..."

Vance knew it was the hardest thing she'd ever have to hear and it broke her heart. Lori went to her's and Luke's bedroom and cried... looooong and hard. she never came out for supper that evening either..

Vance was highly pissed and upset......

Dixie got Luke's reply and read it. She heard his guilt. She picked up a pen and wrote, "Luke, This is NOT all you fault. The blame, if that's what you need to do, should go to Bo and Jeb partly. They should have been able to get out of the situation with out you as a blocker. You are only added insurance from what I learned. As for Lori, she shoudl have never got you so riled knowing you had a run to make that night! I hope things go good for you three, but I agree with you it sure is funny she got pregnant so soon! Dixie."

Luke recieved the letter and sighed. He wondered though, HIS WIFE....AND HIS WIFE'S EX was living in UNDER the same roof....he tensed at the thought, and got sick all the more to his stomach fro writing to Dixie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lori still stayed in her room, plotting out how she was going to break the news to Luke that IF he was writing Dixie and NOT his own wife, that they would get a divorce. Lori had came out of the room only to go to the bathroom and sighed shaking her head. She'd head straight back to the bedroom and cry more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vance couldnt stand it so he wrote to Luke telling him that hell write to Dixie but not his own wife, SOME HUSBAND HE WAS!

~~~~

Luke had recieved Vances letter, and couldnt lie to him so he wrote........

Luke had recieved Vances letter, and couldnt lie to him so he wrote, Vance it's true I have been writing to Dixie in all fairness Lori hasn't bothered to write me. I've just been replying to Dixie's notes she wanted to tell me some things is all and I replied. WHAT is your problem with that? WHY don't YOU just stay out of my business cousin!!!!. He then gave the note to Rosco to mail for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vance got Luke's note and shook his head he knew Luke would try and find a way to say he was meddling but he loved Lori even if Luke didn't. Lori came in from the class that B.L had signed her and Luke up for and cussing and muttering dark threats about her cousin, she had found out they'd be given a doll that would do most everything a real baby did and they had to take care of it and treat it like a real baby. Lori took her groceries into the kitchen to put them away seeing Vance at the table reading a letter which he quickly hid. She didn't give it much thought though she was too busy grumbling about B.L and the class.

"Dang her hide I oughta make her go with me for payback!"

Vance glanced up at her and asked "how was that class?"

Lori turned a look on him that would scare the ugly right off Frankenstein. This caused Vance to recoil back from her sorry he'd asked......

Luke read both Vance's letter and Dixie's again. He swore! Then, thought more and more about the first letter he wrote and decided that he had left a bunch of stuff out so he wrote a second letter to Vance, "Vance, Mind your own buisness! I have seen Lori and talked to her! In case you ain't thought about it, it sort of BORING setting here. Oh, yeah, I forgot you ain't never been arrested before, being perfect and all! If answering a note is such a terrible thing then why am I taking the time to answer yours? I got a note, big deal! I'm I supposed to REPORT every note, card or letter I get to YOU for the next ten years? I sort of figure there might just be a few and NO I don't expect them ALL to be from my wife! But, in case you ain't figured it out YET, she is STILL MY wife. And, there is still somethings that ARE or SHOULD BE our business." Luke knew the next line was a lie even before he wrote it, but wrote it anyway. "I would have told Lori about the danged note, but I didn't think now was such a good time. What are you up to Vance? Trying to take MY place again? After the last time I was pretty concerned about MY wife and child. I didn't want Lori under anymore stress than she already is." Luke knew that Vance had likely told Lori already about the note. What got Luke was, just HOW did Vance know? He knew Dixie wouldn't have told him, so how did he know. He continued Vance's letter, "You know I'd really like to know who else besides YOU likes putting their nose in my business. I really don't expect an answer to this letter figure you'll be too busy trying to take my place with my wife. Luke"

Then, he wrote Dixie, "Dixie, I don't know HOW but someone knows you wrote me. When I got your note today, I also got one from none other than Vance expressing his displeasure at me writing someone other than Lori. If he knows, I don't have to tell you that Lori knows too! I figure that's all the he'll need now to try to move right into my place with her like he did last time. I can't help but wonder how long it will be before she actually takes him up on it. What good is having a husband who not there, right? You know I wouldn't wish being here on anyone, but I think I could take it a lot better if Vance would have been riding shot gun for Bo instead of Jeb. That way I wouldn't be worried about Lori and Vance being under the same roof and all and you would have still had Jeb. Just wrote you this to let you know Lori's likely going be real pissed! And to tell you, yes this is ALL my fault. I'll not tell you not to write again. I'll leave that up to you since you will be dealing with Lori closer than I will be for the next ten years. Luke"

Luke took a deep breath and started a third letter. "Lori, I'm sorry for over reacting and accusing you of tricking me about the baby. I'm sorry for taking off like I did and turning off the danged radio. I'm sorry for not telling Bo and Jeb that I couldn't drive that night. I'm sorry for not turning the radio on when we left and not paying attention to what was going on with the runner. I'm sorry for being loyal enough to my cousin that though I didn't get stopped I went back to them. I'm sorry that I chose to not let them take all the blame. No, I'm not, but I am sorry that I am here with them instead of holding you. I'm sorry too that I didn't tell you about getting a note from someone other than you, but I know that my cousin, Vance, has already told you that. I didn't want you anymore upset than you are already. I knew we'd have our ups and downs, but this is an awefully big hump for us. I know holding marriages together isn't easy but it's going to be a lot harder with me not there for the next ten years. You said you thought we could make this work if we both tried. Please don't replace me with Vance. Luke."

Luke had already decided the worse. Well, at least to expect the worst. He knew the Judge had said 2-10 years but Luke decided to expect the worst from this situation and anything less would be good news. He tried to imagine getting to know his ten year old son or daughter. Thoughts like that were what was tearing him up inside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jesse still hadn't heard anything from Agent Roach about any sort of deal that the ATF may want to make. He decided to give it to the end of the week and if he hadn't heard anythign he'd go see Agent Roach himself. He could see how hard Lori was taking it all, but what he didn't know was about the note Dixie had written Luke.

Jesse was on the front porch when Boss Hogg showed up. Jesse knew this wasn't a social call.

Boss Hogg walked on to the porch and began his well rehearsed speech, "Jesse I heard about your boys. I'm mighty sorry to see all your help be taken away from you like that. But, I know you have gotten a lot of moonshine made up and ready for delivery. And, with no drivers.....I'm prepared to offer to buy your entire stock at say half the going price. That should be enough money to help keep the farm running for a spell."

Jesse was biting his tounge but figured to let JD say what was on his mind so he could be leaving all the quicker. Jesse looked him in the eye and said, "JD I'd not sale my shine to you for the going rate let alone half the price."

Hogg replied, "This was a one time offer. Change your mind and the price goes down."

Jesse pointed to Hogg's car, "Get!" He stood watching Hogg leave. Coy and Vance had been watching form the barn. Daisy and Lori had heard voices from inside the house. When the car pulled out they all headed to the porch to find out what was going on. Jesse told them about Boss's offer.

Lori looked at Jesse, "There is no need to sale your shine to him or anyone else. I can deliver it. I've done it before."

Vance was quick to jump into the conversation. "I've ran with the guys too, Uncle Jesse."

Jesse held his hand up to hush them, "I ain't about to risk loosing none of you all to get that shine delivered. I should have been running it myself in the first place. BUT, right now, me, ya'll or no one else is going to even think about delivering any shine until I hear something about that deal Agent Roach was talking about. Don't you all know they got this farm being watched 24 / 7 right now hoping one of us trys to move the shine or leads them to a still. I'll tell you all right now every still site I got is OFF LIMITS until I say so. Understood?"

The group all nodded. They knew Jesse's word was law! They often obeyed it out of love, but they would obey it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie in the meantime was driving Luther, Cooter and BL nuts. She had begun a cleaning spree. There were things getting cleaned in the Davenport home that hadn't ever been seen before.

Luther and Cooter agreed on one thing and gave BL strick orders, "Don't let her near the garage while she's in this mood." They knew if she started cleaning the garage they would never be able to find anything again!

Cooter and Luther went back to the garage and left B.L there with Dixie still cleaning like a woman possessed. Dixie was taking had so far scrubbed the kitchen floor, vaccumed all the carpet in the house and had cleaned her room throwing a bunch of junk out. Now she was coming toward the couch with a purposeful stride. B.L was setting on it looking at a magazine. Dixie walks up and grabs the end and starts trying to move the couch. B.L put down her magazine and looked up asking.

"what are you doing?"

"moving the couch it's time for a change around here." Dixie replied

Dixie continued to wrestle with moving the couch and B.L on it. Watching a few minutes B.L finally patted the spot beside her and said

"Set down Dix tell me what's going on you've cleaned this house from top to bottom places we aint even seen in years. Now your trying to move the couch by yourself."

Dixie sat down beside B.L and told B.L the whole story about writing Luke and him writing her back. How she really felt about him it was like somebody opened the flood gates and the words just came tumbling out of Dixie's mouth as she sat there on the couch and told B.L the whole story. B.L listened and then told Dixie,

"there's nothin' wrong with you writing Luke I'm sure he appreciates it we've all been friends for years and if you or me can't write him a letter while he's in jail because of Lori then there's something seriously wrong."

Dixie nodded there was something seriously wrong alright firs off it was Luke and Lori being married. The two talked a while longer about it all which kept Dixie from scrubbing anything or moving the furniture around so that the rest of them would fall on their butts of faces when it wasn't where it was normally.

At the jail, Luke had mailed the letters, as Miss Tizdale was about to make her run she grabbed the letters and headed for the Duke and Davenport and all other stops in Hazzard.

As she arrived at the Duke famr Lori was out by the mailbox walking Maudine around, she'd been favoring her left foot and Lori decided to walk her. Miz Tisdale pulled up and handed the two letters to Lori. Lori smiled and thanked her reading two from Luke, she smiled but grew awefulyl suspicious of the one to Vance from Luke.... ohh lord was all she could think of.

Lori read her letter on the front porch once everyone went in. Vance read his in Uncle Jesse, and Coy and his's room. Lori smiled and read the last line, "You said you thought we could make this work if we both tried. Please don't replace me with Vance. Luke."

Lori decided to go pay dear Lucas a visit, 1.because she wanted too and 2. because she loved him and 3. she was gonna show her dear cousin Dixie that SHE was Luke's wife NOT HER... and she'd just have to accept that fact.

Lori went in and took a shower, having not left the house in days, she put on her jeans and a low cut tank top, her boots and her jacket. She walked out and smiled to everyone telling Uncle Jesse she was going to the jail to see her husband. Uncle Jesse smiled and nodded,"Just be careful and watch out.."

Lori nodded and left the house getting in Midnight Rider.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When she arrived at the jail she saw Agent Roach outside talking to some big wigs she smiled and nodded to him all polite like, Agent Roach looked to the man and told him to excuse him for one moment. He gently grabbed Lori's arm saying,"Excuse Mrs. Duke? I was wondering, Jesse HAS told you about the talk me and him had hasn't he? I figured he'd talked to the family about it.."

Lori nodded and smiled,"Yes sir he has."

Roach smiled and said,"the ATF is willing to deal with Jesse, could you tell him to meet at the courthouse....say Friday? around noon?"

Lori smiled and nodded,"Yes sir I'll pass the word along...thank you."

Roach nodded and patted her back, returning to the man.

Lori continued through the doors, seeing Rosco behind a desk,"HEY!! pencil pusher.... I wanna see my husband."

Rosco jumped, ignoring her comments about him being a pencil pusher. He led her down the stairs and opened the door for her, Lori smiled seeing Luke laying on the bunk..

"Got yer note Darlin' sorry I aint wrote to ya....seems B.L. signed me and you up for a home economics class....and I decided to take it...to learn to be a better wife,"She looked to her stomach,"And mother.."

Luke got up and stood straight going to the bars. He laughed at the idea of B.L. doing that, it sounded like her.

"I...I really am sorry for all this sweetheart..." Luke gently said hugging her through the bars.

Lori pulled a seat up smiling to him, she took his hands through the bars and began,"First off.... Vance will NEVER fill your shoes.. he will never be as good as father as you would be or will be to our unborn child..Darlin; I aint blaming you for turning back to help yer cousins....he** if it would have been me and Cooter and B.L......or Dix.. Id turned back and did the same. No one is blaming you sides Bo and Jeb but they'll get over it... I will admit I ain't slept one night in that room... I've always fell alseep on the couch or in the recliner.. it don't feel right without you being there behind me every night to keep me warm. Luke, im going to tell you something I've never told ANY man in my life and its the god's honest truth....I WILL wait for you.... whether it be 20 or 30 years instead of ten...I'll wait. I'll hate it fer a child cause you wont be there but.... so help me god though that youngin WILL know who it's daddy is and the meaning and the expectancy of having the last name Duke.... to know its daddy is Lucas Keith Duke and not Vance Duke.....yes me and Vance have had our history and it has honestly has been better than mine and yours at times....but our love is stronger and he WILL ABSOLUTELY NEVER take your place at that house.."

The words had helped Luke, especially coming from his wife...the words he needed to hear, she'd spoke them with the kindest voice.

He smiled and kissed her through the bars.

They sat and talked, til it was growing late outside. Lori sighed and looked to Luke. He looked over to the far corner of the room and saw a blanket he looked to Lori and asked ever so sweetly,"Darlin' could you go over there and get me that blanket.

Lori smiled and walked over to the corner beding over slowly, giggling some then slowly raising back up to turn to see Luke biting his bottom lip and watching as he tried to adjust his pants to loosen them on him.

Lori sighed and looked in behind her at her bottom and then to Luke,"I hate what my momma gave me it always gets me into trouble."

Luke............

Luke sighed a long sigh..... "Yes, ..... it, .... does! But, I, ..... ah, ..... sort of enjoyed the view."

Lori heard the painful emotions that Luke had put into that comment. She had intentionally teased him but now, she walked over to Luke and handed him the blanket sighing,"I'm sorry Darlin'.... if I could help you out I would, but I can't! Its killin me too!" She saw Luke's jaw set and his neck tense before he replied.

Luke gave her the slightest nod, swallowed back the tears he felt and said just above a whisper, "I know. ............. Believe me I know, ................. that it is killin you, ................. that's my problem." He bit his lip again trying very hard to control his emotions.

Lori's tears dropped like rain as she looked to Luke she saw the formations of tears in his eyes,"It's not yer fault baby... you did what was right..what you were spose to do...you went back and helped and thats all that matters....i guess to be honest...its all my fault really, if it hadn't been for me NOT telling you sooner that I was pregnant then you wouldn't have gotten caught and neither would Bo or Jeb... the fault is all mine and I take the blame for everything...I was being stupid when I never told you.."

Luke looked to her and wiped the tears from her eyes. He hated to see her cry, in doing so he choked up the words and let his own tears fall, Bo and Jeb looked and sighed to each other shaking their heads, this was a hard time they all were going through but Luke had it the hardest. ""No, it's not your fault. YOU knew I'd show my a-- and I did."

Lori choked up,"But you were only doing what came natural to you honey..."

"Yeah, flying off half cocked. Do you have any idea how many times over teh years Jesse Duke has warned me about that?" He said in serious thought.

Lori didnt take it seriously she giggled and looked to him,"I think we ALL have warned you bout that temper.."

Luke smiled and nodded, seeing as it was dark out."You bes get home for Jesse comes lookin fer ya.."

Lori sighed and smiled to him nodding, she kissed him and told him she loved him, walking out she told Bo and Jeb good night.

Lori left the jail and went back to the farm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When she arrived she sat and told Jesse about what Roach had said, Jesse nodded and smiled. Lori looked around seeing that Vance must have been in the bed already. She sighed and went to her's and Luke's room she pulled the covers back. Later that night as she laid there she felt warmth beside her, no one was with her, but she felt it.....

Vance never replied to the letter he just threw it away and sighed.

At the Davenport farm Dixie had only stopped her mad cleaning frenzy briefly while she told B.L about everything now she was up cleaning again. She came though the livingroom with a trash bag layed over her shoulder heading upstairs, B.L saw her and asked

"What're you cleaning now?"

Dixie looked at B.L and smirked as she put her foot on the bottom step

"Lori's room"

B.L jumped up from her spot in the recliner and followed Dixie upstairs she was gonna help with this room. The way they were grinning as they walked up the stairs it'd make a person wonder if they were going to clean or go on a treasure hunt. They walked in Lori's room each taking a side they were gonna pick this room clean with a fine tooth comb. Dixie was looking on the side of the room with the bed and night stand while B.L was going through the closet and chest of drawers. Dixie was under the bed just her feet sticking out she'd found a box of notes and letters to Lori from various boys they sat down and read a few gagging and rolling their eyes at the mushy stuff wrote in them. After they got bored with that box Dixie went back under the bed and pulled out a stack of year books and said with an evil grin.

"hey B look at this it's Lori's year books I bet Luke'd be interested in these"

B.L came over thumbing through one of them smirking wickedly. Then she went back to her task of looking in the chest of drawers and to her delight she found a little black book of guys phone numbers something a married woman should have gotten rid of!

"HEY DIXIE LOOK! it's Lori's little black book!!"

Dixie came over and looked through the book with B.L there was Andy Jeffersons number which made B.L see red she was gonna kill Lori next chance she got. It had 100 other boys phone numbers in it too. B.L told Dixie "Bet Luke will be interested in this too"

Dixie nodded and bounced back across the room opening the drawer to the night stand with a gasp and an evil laugh, B.L turned to see what it was all about and Dixie was waving around a prescription of birth control pills only half taken. Looking in Lori's closet B.L found an outfit that nearly made her eyes pop out if Luther had ever laid eyes on this he'd have whipped Lori's butt it was so low cut it woulda barely covered her nipples and skin tight to the point she couldn't wear any underwear under it. and strapless! B.L knew she dressed questionable sometimes herself but she didn't own anything like this!

After finding all the good stuff Dixie and B.L left Lori's room to go downstairs and scatter the year books and letters on the floor to read what people had wrote in the year books and what the rest of the letters said....

In the bottom of the box were several letters. Dixie recognized the handwriting. She grinned, "BL these are from VANCE!"

They laughed and began to read!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bo watched Luke after Lori left, "Hey, ah, Luke are you gonna be alright?"

Luke took a deep breath then replied, "I guess I got to be right?"

Bo nodded, 'yes'.

Jeb said, "Luke if it's any help at all we're pretty much in the same boat as you are."

Luke nodded as he layed down on the hard steel bunk, "Yeah, I know but, fellas I KNOW what I'm missing to be here with you!"

Bo said, "You should have kept going. WHY did you come back?"

Luke replied, "We started the run together, we'll finish the run together."

Jeb shook his head 'no', "No, Luke. No matter what I've said about you not answering my call. We were caught and caught dead to rights before I ever yelled. We were actually trying to get you to cut off somewhere to keep from getting caught too. We didn't know then about the baby, but you had Lori and, well, we would have been ok."

Luke looked at Jeb, "You are serious?" He paused looking at his two younger cousins, "Guys there is no way in he-- that I would have left you."

Bo replied, "That's what I told him."

Jeb replied, "I knew it too, Luke, but we tried to at least give you a chance or a choice."

Luke nodded. "Well, I got that choice when I saw the lights. I turned the radio on and Roach was calling for me. Said he had you all. I went to every channel trying to raise ya'll BEFORE I came back. I knew what I was doing."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie came into the living room where BL was. She was all cleaned up and smelling good after a shower from all the house cleaning.

BL said, "Where are you going?"

Dixie replied innocently, "To see Jeb."

BL gave Dixie a coy look wondering about how close Dixie and Jeb had gotten, "Ok." She paused and called after Dixie, "Just how close are you two?"

Dixie just smiled and waved.

BL had a bad thought and yelled as Dixie was pulling out. "STAY AWAY FROM THE GARAGE!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the jail Dixie asked Rosco if she could see the guys. He let her in the gate and returned to the desk where he was doing a seek and find puzzle.

Dixie saw that Luke was laying on his back looking at the ceiling. Bo and Jeb had been setting on the bottom bunk staring at the wall. She purposely went to Jeb's cell and asked, "Do ya'll need some company?"

Bo and Jeb both replied, "Yes!"

Luke sat up and said, "I'll take any distraction available." He wanted to be distracted from his thoughts. The thoughts of Lori earlier teasing was replaying its self over and over again in his mind. But, he was beginning to notice just how much Dixie had grown up recently. The outfit she had on was not as an attention getter as Lori had worn but it did show she had been growing in all the right places. He watched as Jeb held her hand and rubbed her hand. Luke swore to himself, stood and went to look out the window for awhile. Some of the thougths that had recently crossed his mind weren't those a recently married man shoud be having about his wife's cousin.

Dixie looked up as Luke walked to the back of the cell. She said very quietly, "What's with him?"

Jeb replied equally as quiet, "Lori was by earlier. Let's say it was pretty emotional."

Dixie decided that what ever she had planned to tell Luke about what her and BL found in Lori's room could wait for now. He loooked as if he'd been on a emotional rollercoaster. She could tell he didn't look like he had been sleeping.

Lori looked to the paper and saw it needed Luke's signature, for her Economics class.

When she pulled up to the jail, Rosco followed her to the top as she walked down and the sight she saw sickened her. She looked to Dixie and stopped dead,"I can't believe you....of all the girls in the Davenport house....I WAS the worst one, apprently since I left, what you gotta try to be more like me now?"

Dixie was about to retort when lori looked to Luke, not only did he have the ohhhh sh** look, but as Dixie being the only female around, he HAD that look too.

"Well Lucas....I THOUGHT we could make it work...aint even been married a month and you want to make moves on my cousin and have THOUGHTS about her that a married man shouldn't have!!"

"Lori! What in God's name are you talking about? I was looking out the window thinking about YOU!"

"I haven't said ten words to her, have I?" He looked to Bo and Jeb and Dixie.

Lori rolled her eyes and shook her head,"Ohhh please...fer once in yer life tell me the WHOLE truth! and not something half baked!!! I left hours ago and look!!" She pointed downwards on him, him seeing that he was excited.

Luke knew where she was pointing and WHY. He said, "Yeah, I've replayed those those few minutes with you about a hundred times since you left. I'm a whole lot bored and a he-- of a lot in NEED! So sue me, OK?" Any other time he would have been embarrassed but to have said that in front of Jeb, Bo, Dixie and especially Rosco but right now he didn't care.

Lori looked to Dixie and knew that uke knew she had developed and grew up she pointed to the top Dixie was wearing,"AND THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT??!!"

Luke repeated himself, "I've been looking out the window for awhile now. I hadn't even noticed the top but Honey yours is a sight lower!"

Lori had the good graces to blush some.

Dixie looked at Lori and couldn't stay quiet any longer, "Yeah Lori, what are you trying to do drive the man CRAZY? Not to mention Bo and Jeb here! I mean we KNOW they ain't gonna get none for a he-- of a long time. Why make that harder on them?"

I at least had that much respect for my boyfriend! Seems you would for YOUR HUSBAND!"

If I'd wanted to dress like a hooker I'd have worn that black outfit you had hanging in the closet that only comes to here! -- Dixie held her hand to her nipples.

That why you quit taking those birth control pills half way throught the month THREE months ago when you and Luke were dating????

"Lori I'd like to hear that one myself?" Luke said from behind bars, he was ALL ears.

Lori looked to Luke and pulle dout of her wallet a doctor's order that read something similar,"allergic to the Birth Control Pills she was taking....."

Luke looked to Lori and sighed,"Well that explains that..."

Lori shook her head and looked to Dixie,"You went through my stuff didn't you?"

"I cleaned house all day,You are married now ...... You don't live there anymore,Care to tell your husband WHY you still have letters from HIS cousin?"

Lori looked to Luke and said,"I left all my old highschool memories in under my bed and miss I haven't got a life so i go snoop around my couisn's old room finds them, me not having a chance to go through anything."

Luke just looks at her skeptically, raising one eye brow.

Lori put her hands on her hips and snorted,"ohh my God.... you don't even believe me.. so tell me Dixie did you find my back book?"

Dixie sweetly smiled,"Sure did...Ohh yea B.L. wants to kill you for having Andy's phone number in it."

Lori smirked,"Tell me Luke...if I really wanted to do ANYTHING with ANYONE don't ya think I would have brung them with me? when I moved in with you?"

Dixie interupted, before Luke could answer, "Not if you had them memorized!"

Lori found it funny and replied,"Too many to memorize cousin!

Dixie replied, Yeah RIGHT! Besides, all you needed to do was memorize LUKE'S then you could call VANCE anytime you wanted RIGHT?"

"Why call Vance when I wanted Luke?"

Dixie replied, "That may have been so THEN, but Luke ain't REAL avaiable NOW!" She smiled an evil smile.

and added, "Is he?? But, Vance sure is!"

Lori walked over to Luke and rubbed his chest, "Well cousin my all means if you want Vance go after him...I've got mine."

Dixie replied, "Vance ain't who I intend to get and KEEP!" she was holding Jeb's hand as she raised an eyebrow." He's your 'back up plan not mine"

Lori looked to Dixie and saw EXACTLY what she meant.."You say Jeb couisn....but you don't mean it.... Vance ain't my back up plan...like I said I have my Duke boy right here."

Dixie replied, "That's good! IF you can keep him! GO for IT!,I give you a month you'll be in the hey with someone."

Lori smirked,"Dont think the keepin him will be such a problem cousin."

Dixie replied, We'll SEE!"

Lori stepped up,"You've got one time to touch Luke.... while Im married to him and I SWEAR TO GOD YOU'LL TAKE A DIRT NAP WITH THE WORMS!"

Dixie smiled sweetly and replied, "I wouldn't think of touching YOUR man, but that don't stop him from WANTING to touch ME!"

"HEY! LADIES! COOL IT!!!! My dog is on the porch in this fight, OK?" Luke replied.

Lori's heart dropped to the bottom of her stomach, she turned to Luke and said to Luke,"So.....it...is true, you and her DO have something... I was stupid to think I could marry you and be happy... not with HER around apparently not..."

Lori sighed and looked to her hand she took the wedding band off and handed it to Luke,"Here I won't be needin it seems yer girlfriend here will more than me... sorry I couldn't be as good as miss perfect here."

Dixie flew off the handle and grabbed Lori by the throat! "He ain't did NOTHING WRONG! YOU are just looking for an excuse! You wont to be able to blame Luke or ME cause you can't keep your pants on!"

Lori took Dixie's arm and twisted it around,"YOU EVER TOUCH ME ONE MORE TIME..... I swear to my god itll be the last thing you'll ever touch!! Luke's the only one I've been with and you can't except the fact apparently that me and him is married!! but no as long as the baby of the family is happy and gets the fu**ing man she wants, she doesnt care whos life it is she screws up!"

Lori may have gotten Dixie's left hand behind her back but Dixie still had her right hand on Loris' throat. SHe squeezed hardre and said take that BACK! NOWW!

Luke looked at Rosco and said, "Rosco da-- IT stop them or let me out to do so!"

Rosco took in the site and actually thought about letting LUke out to stop them but he decided to let them fight.

Lori took Dixie's other hand and knocked her across the face,"I AINT TAKIN NOTHIN BACK DA** IT!!! CAUSE ITS THE TRUTH!!

Lori then proceeded to tell Dixie,"DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I GOT BIT**** OUT AT BY B.L. BECAUSE YOU WENT CRYIN TO YER ROOM OVER HIM!! I GOT YELLED AT EVERY G** D*** DAY OF MY LIFE OVER THAT! ALL BECAUSE I WAS TRYING TO BE HAPPY!!!!"

"Lori I really don't know why you are so insecure. I have never been more than Luke's kid sister. I don't know why you are so bent out od shape, but I know me, my boyfriend, your HUSBAND and Bo are gettin damm tired of your hysteria!"

Lori looked to Dixie and said,"ohhhhhhhh ok.... so uh thats why you took off crying when we got back and told everyone that we were gettin married?

"Yeah I felt bad for Luke marrying a WHORE."

"better than seeing him screw around with some teenage slut!"

"least I dont want PAID!"

"least when I start something with someone...ohh say Tommy Rogers, I finish it!"

"I didn't start A thing, and I da-- sure ain't gonna let a slez bag RAPE me!"

Luke knew that this ws gonna involve him somehow. he held his breath and waited..

"So you get Luke to come to the rescue cause you couldnt handle him?"

"For your FU--ing information, I HAD handled the situation -- All Luke did was give me a ride HOME!""

"you sure thats ALL he did?"

"Yeah and stay there till time for Cooter or Dad to come home."

"Cooter's told me some things Dix.... some things as to why im so insecure about Luke, and as to why im soo protective,Especially around you."

Just to prove Dixie like Jeb and not LUke she reached throught the bars with one hand and pulled him closer. She layed a kiss from he-- on him while with the other hand she rubbed the front of his tight jeans making them tighter. ................... The only problem there was it also made Luke's jeans tighter and he groaned in discomfort, "SH--! Would you quit already? DA--!"

Lori rolled her eyes,"ohh please that all you can do??" Lori looked Luke in the eyes and reached down, grabbing him and sfotly massaging him."gotta be gentle and not rub soo hard"

Luke closed eyes enjoying Lori's touch, but said through gritted teeth, "Would you please stop already, huh?"

Dixie grinned and stroked Jeb more, only softer. Jeb had about all he could stand, he backed away and shook his head. Luke took Lori's hand and brung it to his mouth and kissed it, placing the ring back on her finger. Lori sighed and looked to Luke.

Both girls left...................

Luke looked to Jeb and said, "SH--!!! That's all the he- I NEEDED!"

Jeb let out a breath he'd been holding for awhile, "You ain't whistling Dixie there!"

Both were breathing a lot more rapidly than normal!

Bo shook his head and said, "DA--! I feel for ya'll the were getting me worked up back here and never touched ME!"

Luke looked at Rosco and said, "How about a shower?"

Rosco said innocently, "Sure, but I don't think the hot water works real well down here."

Luke almost groaned, "I really don't think I NEED any hot water!"

Rosco didn't have a clue as to what he meant, but giggled and said, "Ok then, I'll just lock the gate here and it's all yours!"

Luke was glad for the simi privacy of the shower and especially the cold water! He stood under it long after he finished washing just letting the cool water rinse over him. He had decided that it was going to be a LONG and LONELY ten years! That thought in itself made him NEED his wife even MORE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Dixie left the jail, she went stright for the garage!

When Lori left the jail she was cussing and goin on thinking,"This aint the last time....Me and Her still has a score to settle."

See folks the only reason as to why Lori didn't hit Dixie is one. Dixie is underage and they were in the jail. Lori'd plan to get her back, she'd been planning it.

Lori headed straight for the house, when she stomped in, Jesse looked to her and shook his head,"Glad to see the ring on yer finger still.....my nephews still alive down there?"

Lori shook with anger,"Ohhh this ring aint been back on long.....yea they're fine, a little worked up but fine... I go down there and i FIND DIXIE DOWN THERE!!!"

Jesse winced at her tone as she stomped off to her's and Luke's room slamming her door, cussing that would put a sailor to shame.

Lori laid in bed and could take one wiff of Luke's aftershave or see his picture and either burst into tears OR the need for her husband grew and the heat in that room would rise higher than an inferno or he** itself.

Lori knew from all the stuff that Cooter told her about Dixie's crush on Luke, and it was true that ever day of her life she'd get screamed at by B.L. Lori'd always be pissed and thats what caused her and Luke to fight and just that their timing was wrong, well Lori prayed that their timing was good this time.. she only hoped it was.

She came out hours later and sighed, she'd changed into some work clothes and went outside to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie had Cooter cornered.........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the jailhouse, all Luke had to do was smell Lori's perfume or just remember the touch of her hand and that was it!! he looked down and started beating himself, all Jeb had to do was the same as Luke only about Dixie, and he was beating himself!! Bo looked to them as they both squalled out,"DA**!!!"

Bo sighed and said,"What now fellers??? oh...OHHH!! nevermind.... ya'll a sad sight ya know that?"

Luke...............

Dixie had Cooter cornered. Just as soon as she had left he jail she grabbed a change of old clothes from her car and went inside to change. She was more frustrated and angery at Lori than she had been. Dixie came back into the garage from the bathroom, took one look at the place, walked over to the workbench where the phone and cash register was, took her arm and cleared it from back to front! Everything from parts books, phone books to wrenchs hit the floor with a loud clang! That's when Cooter walked in. He saw the heep in the floor that used to be his work bench. He turned on his little sister................

Before he could say one word, the 'demon' in his baby sister's body looked at him with eyes that went suddenly from brown to flame orange and said with the most evil voice Cooter had ever heard, "I'm GOING to CLEAN this place UP!"

Cooter didn't know what had happen. He REALLY didn't want to! He was now backed into a corner and frankly he was a little scared! He sort of wished Luther would pull back up in the wrecker but he wasn't expected anytime soon.

Dixie began to sort the heep while beginning to tell Cooter what was wrong, "Do YOU KNOW what SHE DID?"

Cooter's eyes we wide as he shook his head 'no' and hoped that was the right answer. He wasn't even sure who SHE was but he figured it was likley Lori.

"SHE TOLD LUKE that YOU said somethings to her that made HER insecure about ME! YOU WANT to FILL ME in on what she thinks she KNOWS?" Dixie was nearly to the point of screaming as she sorted the heep.

Cooter saw a lot of things he wanted, needed being thrown into the trash but didn't dare move to go after any of it right now. He'd get it later! If he lived.

A wrench hit the workbench with a clang before he could form an answer.

Cooter started to say something as a lug wrench went sailing across the garage in front of him.

Dixie glared at him as she picked up a second lug wrench and screamed, "Da--IT! Cooter ANSWER ME!!!"

Cooter saw an opening and took it! He bolted right out the door and headed to the jail. He thundered down the steps of the courthouse and told Rosco, "I got to talk to Luke a minute. I just got ran out of the garage by a CRAZY person!!!"

Rosco saw the look on Cooter's face and said, "Well, then it's ME you should be talking to!"

Cooter shook his head 'no', "You don't understand." He said as Rosco let him in the gate.

Luke had been about to agree with Bo when he heard Cooter. He sat up and looked at his friend with concern, "What?"

Cooter proceeded to pace, "The garage will NEVER be the same. She's destroyed IT!"

Rosco still thought this sounded like something he needed to check into but he COULDN'T leave Federal prisioners, "Who? Destroyed what?"

Cooter waved his hand to calm Rosco down, but looked at Luke and said, "DIXIE is CLEANING the garage!"

Luke looked at Cooter in disbelief, "Coot...."

Cooter stopped him, "Man, YOU just don't UNDERSTAND! She threw a lug bar AT me! What in the he-- went on over here? I knew she was coming to see, " he turned to Jeb, "You, but what set her OFF?"

Luke replied, "Guess you didn't know Lori showed up too, right?"

Cooter's eyes went wide. That had explained a lot.

Luke continued, "Yeah, .... well, ...... Dixie, who had come to see Jeb, and I got accused of everything except, MAYBE, doing it right here in front of Rosco! Then, the two of them decided that just being locked up wasn't good enough punishment for us and they, well, ...... I don't even want to THINK about what they did next, OK?" Luke sighed.

Bo was watching the entire show and for once keeping his mouth shut, but he couldn't stand it any longer and was very glad he wasn't in the same cell as Luke. He looked at Cooter and smiled widely as he said, "They tried to see which one of them could TEASE them the most." He giggled.

Luke glared a him and stepped toward him only to be stopped by the bars. He swore, "Da-- these bars!"

Jeb on the other hand could reach him and........

Jeb on the other hand could reach him and proceeded to strangle Bo then and there despite Rosco being present. Bo's head was rattling you could almost hear his brain moving in it, Luke just watched smirking as Jeb taught Bo a lesson he'd probably stop Jeb just short of actually killing Bo but for now he'd leave them alone Bo deserved it! Finally Luke decided Bo'd had enough and called Jeb off.

"Jeb that's enough don't kill him!"

Jeb let go of Bo and went over to the bunk flopping down on it, killing Bo had been just what he had in mind but Luke's authoritative tone as the oldest had compelled him to stop from years of listening to it. Rosco was still muttering and babbling trying to find out more about the CRAZY person over at the garage but he was being ignored by all the boys.....

Meanwhile the CRAZY person known better as Dixie Davenport, was still over at the garage cleaning. Everything that didn't look important was being thrown in the trash the tools were being scrubbed free of grease and motor oil. Old part magazines were being tossed out along with some other stuff that wasn't bolted down....

Back at the Davenport farm B.L was wondering why Dixie wasn't back yet then it hit her like a ton of bricks that she was supposed to keep her from cleaning the garage. B.L ran out the door jumping in the Judge heading for town she hoped Dixie wasn't at the garage but still at the jail. Pulling up at the courthouse she ran inside and downstairs to see if Dixie was there, Cooter turned as did the others hearing the pounding footsteps on the stairs when he saw B.L he turned blue in the face and yelled

"YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO WATCH HER!!!!!"

Gulping B.L backed up as Cooter came threateningly closer she turned tail and ran back up the stairs calling as she went.

"Hi GUYS....BYE GUYS GOTTA GET DIXIE"

Running out of the courthouse at top speed she crossed the street almost getting hit by Mr. Peters not watching where she was going.

"Sorry Mr. Peters"

B.L apologized and continued to make a mad dash for the garage when she got there Dixie was........

Dixie was still tossing things about. The dumpster outside looked fuller than BL had seen it, EVER. But, BL could see even before she got inside that tools were actually hanging on the peg board and in the tool boxes NOT laying on the workbench, floor, and everywhere else. She have put oil dry on the floor twice and just had tossed the bag into its' spot under the counter. Dixie reached for the water hose as BL entered the garage intent to scrub the floor!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the jail, Rosco as usual hadn't caught the whole conversations meaning between Cooter and BL. He asked with great concern, "Was that the Crazy person who ran you out of the garage?"

Cooter shook his head, 'no' and said very seriously, "Nah, her 'keepper'!"

Rosco said, "Oh, ok then. Huh?"

The events of the frustrating day, added to by Cooter's seriousness and Rosco's expression was more than the three incarcerated Duke boys could take. All three were doubled over laughing their heads off!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As evening was coming on Jesse, Coy and Vance were setting on the porch. Jesse nodded his head toward the house. He was concerned about Lori and Daisy who he knew hadn't slept much IF any since the boys were caught. "Who's keeping an eye on them tonight?"

Coy answered, "You did night before last, and I did last night. So Vance it's your turn tonight."

Vance nodded. Several nights before getting Luke's note he would have liked nothing better than the chance to possibly talk to Lori while everyone else slept, but now he wasn't so sure. He'd actually been trying to avoid her the last couple of days. He didn't see how Luke could be SO lucky and keep risking loosing her. He could have had her wrapped around his finger years ago, but kept pushing her away. Even after he found out she had lost their first child he still tried to keep her at arms lenght. And, then after she left, he managed to get her back yet again. He finally decided to marry her, finds out she is expecting again and what does he do? CAUSES not just himself but Bo and Jeb to ALL get caught running moonshine and likely they would be spending years locked up. Vance thought leaving her alone again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the garage, Luther pulled up and................

At the garage Luther pulled up and saw the dumster piled high with stuff. He went into the garage and found just what he thought he'd find Dixie CLEANING she was down on the floor now scrubbing it with a toothbrush! B.L was sitting on the desk her feet in the chair staying cler out of Dixie's way but watching her like she was supposed to. Luther tapped his foot and folded his arms staring at her perched on the desk not bothering to stop Dixie.

"YOU were supposed to KEEP her out of here!"

B.L looked up and leaned away from Luther replying

"I let her come to the jail to see Jeb....then uh she and Lori apparently were both there and got into it.When she didn't come home after an hour or so I came to see if she was still at the jail. Cooter was there and he turned on me and started ranting about her being over here destroying everything so I came to get her but she wasn't doing any harm looks kinda nice so I been settin' here watchin' her."

Luther glared at B.L then looked at Dixie who looked up and..........

Luther glared at B.L then looked at Dixie who looked up and asked, "What? Why do you ALL have something against a CLEAN garage? You usally fuss at me to CLEAN something."

B.L rolled her eyes and looked at Dixie and said "Yeah SOMETHING not EVERTHING in sight!"

Dixie said, "Well, I'm gonna finish hosing the floor off and I'm going to the house and clean ONE more thing."

Luther and BL were scared to ask what.

Dixie answered before they could gather the nerve to ask. She said, "I'm going to the house. Run a very hot, very soapy bath and clean ME!"

Relief flooded over BL and Luther!

Dixie asked, "By the way where did Cooter get off to?"

Luther and B.L. kept their mouths shut. they wasn't gonna rat on poor ole cooter.

Dixie headed home and took a bath and cleaned more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile as dark rose near Vance sat up, watching Lori from the kitchen. Daisy was in the bed as was everyone else. Vance sighed and saw Lori crying, in the red recliner. He didn't want to talk to her, from the note, but it seems to him that Luke aint doing too gooder a job.Vance got up and went to Lori,"Come on..." He held his hand out to lead her out to the porch. She sighed and took it following him.

They sat out on the porch swing, which wasn't missed by Uncle Jesse.

"I uhh I guess...that visit to the jail wasn't a good one?"

Lori sighed and remembered,"Ta be honest no...it wasn't..... me and Dixie use to be like sisters but now, we're bitter enemies."

"Why Lori, ya'll used to be really close and not that long ago?"

Lori looked to him and sighed,"Shes got this crush on him and always has!! it seems everywhere he is SHE is too!!

Vance said, "I know a certain cousin who could likely relate. It's a small town."

Lori looked to him,"Has Luke said anything to you??? Your only trying to be there for me when he can't....I know he may not see it that way... but I mean why cant she just accept the fact me and him is together, and If I can help it will plan to STAY that way."

Vance got a bit forward and replied, "Maybe she can't for the same reason I can't accept it either."

Lori looked to Vance into his gray eyes,"Vance?? what are you talking about?"

"I can't accept it either. I think Luke is a fool. And, I sure don't see you setting around here waiting on him for YEARS."

Lori got a but peeved and didn't mean to sound rude or anything,"WHY THE HE-- NOT?? OHHH I FORGOT THOUGH, IM THe HAZZARD WHORE.... JUST BECAUSE I ACTUALLY SAY I LOVE SOMEONE I CANT MEAN IT CAUSE I CAN NEVER STAY WITH ONE GUY FOR THAT LONG!"

Vance got loud enough for her to hear him, "I MEANT that YOU are better than that! Luke fu---- up NOT you. You don't HAVE to be lonely just cause he's locked up."

Lori's eyes got big,"Vance....do you still...love me?? I can't mess around with anyone I made a promise to Luke and God on my wedding day.."

Vance felt bad to put her in such a situation but replied, "I won't ask you to go against any promises Lori, but yes I do and I'll be here if you ever need me for anything."

Lori sighed and smiled to Vance, she gave him a kiss on the cheek and softly replied,"Thanks Vance... that means alot to me...."

Vance replied, "That would be a 'Thanks, but NO?' I can live with that but you know ten years could be a long time to hold on to a promise on a cold night. The offer is there."

Lori had to bite her lip on that one,"Vance.... I can't I...I.." Lori broke down into tears on the porch,"GOD WHY DO YOU GOTTA MAKE THIS HARD ON ME!"

Vance took her hand and began to rub it a bit as he said, "Lori that's not my intention at all. Luke is the one making the mistakes that is making this hard on you."

Lori squeezed Vance's hand and huddled in his arms,"I love Luke Vance I do...but, I just... I don't know..."

Vance........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the jail Luke grew concerned, on colds night like it had been he had to think of what Lori was REALLY doing...........

Vance replied, "Well, I know how lonely it can be to love someone and them NOT be there but there a lot more than A wall gonna separate you and Luke for a long time if things don't work out for Jesse. They have wanted this family too long Lori. Luke just wasn't as good as he thought he was or he would have been on top of that run. Jesse had been leaving the plans for the runs to him and he not only got him caught but Jeb and Bo too. I'm sure glad I wasn't with them!"

Lori.................

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke was setting on the bunk as Rosco was relieved by the night Federal officer. He was glad to see that Bo and Jeb were finally getting some sleep but everytime he tried he thought of how it had felt to wake up beside Lori those few mornings they had been together. And it seemed just as he had started to drift off a couple of times he got the faintest whif of Lori's perfume where she had touched him earlier. What was really getting to Luke is the fact he was having the thoughts of his wife most newly married me had but here he was locked in a small cell next to his cousins while his new wife and unborn child were several miles away in the small house where he and his cousins were raised. But, the thoughts that scared him was that she was separated from her Ex boyfriend by only a thin wall and a promise. Luke couldn't help but wonder just how warn that that promise would keep her and for how da-- long it would keep her. Then, he started wondering if that was a fair promise to ask her to keep for years without him. He--, he was the one that was in jail NOT her. There was that whif of perfume again. He realized it was also on the blanket she handed him earlier. Luke knew he wasn't going to get any sleep again with the thoughts of Lori's touches earlier and now the wondering about what she was doing now?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie was finally getting some sleep she was plumb tuckered out from all her cleaning. She may not be resting but was at least sleeping.

B.L was sitting on the couch talking to Luther, after Lori had gone to bed and Cooter was out on a wrecker call.

"Uncle Luther we gotta do somethin' about Dixie she's driving us all nuts with her cleanin"

Luther nodded the garage had been the last straw. He liked to come home to a clean house but a man's garage was his castle.

"I agree darlin' I just don't know what to do, she's not herself after the Duke boys got arrested."

B.L thought 'if you only knew the half of it' yawning and stretching she got up and said...

"Think I'll go to bed..g'nite Uncle Luther"

She kissed his cheek and went upstairs crawling in bed wondering what Dixie would find to clean tomorrow.

A few hours later after Cooter had returned from the wrecker call he and Luther went to bed for the night too.