Days of Shine and Romance!

DixieDavenport

At the Duke farm, Luke was also awake. He was thinking about the whole thing with Lori yesterday. He knew no one, not even Cooter would have dared to take the keys to Midnight, yet he had. Of course he'd done it for her own good. Then back at the Davenports, her crying had actually made him consider getting back with her, but he knew they would end up in the same place in their relationship sooner or later. He'd even asked her if she thought running away to Chickomohony right then would work? That was as close as Luke Duke had ever gotten to proposing to a girl. He knew it would never work and he was thankful that Lori knew that too. He had no idea what he would have done if she would have insisted that they could work and insisted they actually go to Chickomohony. He had asked the question more from desparation than anything else. He had been at a loose for words trying to explain that though he and Lori DID have something and though they clicked really well at times, that they also hadn't been able to hold a realtionship together. He knew he was far too young to settle down with anyone. Lately he had been going out with whom ever would give him a second look and he had been trying to see how far he could get with each. Most of the time there hadn't even been a second night together. Some due to fear of Lori, knowing her past incidents with anyone who talked to Luke, but most because Luke chose to move on himself. He had been looking for something since Robin that he hadn't found in Lori or any of the other girls. He couldn't exactly put his finger on it just now, but he knew none of them had whatever it was. So for the past couple of weeks he had made up his mind to move on. To try to find what ever he was looking for and he found that he actually missed a steady girlfriend. He shook his head and pictured pulling into the garage for gas with a girl, any girl, as a steady girlfriend with Lori there. Luke knew what would happen. Lori would drag her right out of the car and all mortal he-- would break loose. Which was likely to happen even if word got out he was dating anyone steady which is why he hadn't even dated any one since Lori. Yeah, he'd done several of the one night stands usually picking a girl up on his way out of the Boar's Nest when Lori hadn't been around. But he wanted to clean up his act so when he decided he wanted to take out a girl and maybe date her steadily he wouldn't necessarily be met by her father at the door with a shotgun. He'd thought of several girls that he'd like to ask out, but he knew it wouldn't go anywhere. But there was one with an eightteenth birthday just a ways off. Maybe just maybe if he tried really hard for awhile to, as Jesse put it, 'act like he had sense God gave a goose' she would consider going on a real date with him. But the problem was would her father allow it? and, what would her brother think? And, God help him, if Lori stayed in town, what woudld she do? No one had given Lori's drunken statements a second thought, but da-- it if she wasn't pretty darn close to his thougths. Yes, she knew him too da-- well! The girl in question was her very own cousin, Cooter's sister, and Luther's daughter, ...... Dixie. Luke knew he wouldn't stand a snowball's chance at even seriously talking to her before she was eightteen. He wan't even sure he wanted to date her, just get to know her a little better. He'd thought of her as Cooter's little sister until one day when she came to the garage. He found out later Daisy had fixed her hair that was usually in a ponytail under one of the garage ball caps. She wore a silky, bright red spaghetti strapped blouse instead of her normal T-shirt or sweatshirt. Her jeans had been replaced with a black leather skirt that was a might short, but Luke noticed her followed her long booted and fishnetted legs up and down at least a couple of times that day. He had wondered at first WHO she was, secondly where had Cooter's LITTLE sister gone, and thirdly WHEN Dixie had grown up so much? The memory of the sight he saw walk into the garage that day still was fresh in his mind as he tossed for the hundredth time.

Bo rolled over and mumbled, "Luke what is with you tonight?"

Luke replied, "Long story."

"Oh," Bo said. He didn't really want to hear a long story right now. "Well, can you tell me in the morning and go to sleep?"

Luke sighed, pulled on his jeans and said, "Think I'll go set on the porch awhile. I can't sleep. Don't want to keep you awake." Setting on the porch he kne he heard the sound of Midnight going by fast. He knew it was likely Lori going to her father's. He didn't want her to leave town. He knew he couldn't stop her and he knew she was going to get away from him more than to help her father. It was hard for him to not follow her, but he knew for her to move on maybe she did need a change of scenery. And, maybe now he could also move on. He set on the swing gently swinging.

Jesse made his way into the kitchen to start coffee just before dawn. He heard a familiar squeak. He walked to the front porch and found Luke in the swing..................

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesse made his way into the kitchen to start coffee just before dawn. He heard a familiar squeak. He walked to the front porch and found Luke in the swing. Jesse walked out and sat in a chair beside the swing.."Ya know Luke...something tells me that a one miss Loren Davenport is on yer mind?"

Luke sighed and nodded."Yea Uncle Jesse..she is.... I mean I wanna go after her and Uncle Jesse, I even....sorta propsed to her..."

Jesse nodded and looked to Luke."Something you wouldn't even do with Robin?? why's Lori different?"

Luke sighed and sat back,"Thats the thing Uncle Jesse, I want to have a steady girlfriend and at the same time I want it to be Lori.. She knew it wouldnt work with me and her settling down, but I know she wanted to.. he-- even I think I wanted too....so it would cean my act up."

Jesse sighed,"Well son, If you want to settle down with her...then I reckon all you have to do is call her and ask her, If you want a steady girlfriend you have to clean yer act up and straighten up, life aint always fun.."

Luke agreed.,"Dont I know that.."

Jesse sighed and patted his shoulder going in the house. Luke thought, yes if he did ever see Lori again that she would most definently marry him, he-- he may just go find her to marry her, but then that went strictly against everything he stood for.... by him not wanting to settle down and all..he would still leave the Chickomohony option for Lori wide open if he saw her again and IF he still felt the same way about her.

Luke went inside and went to bed..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lori had arrived in Johnson County, passing the Tennesse River, going up through an old ridge runner's trail that led to her daddy's farm.

When she arrived there she looked around and noticed the black dodge that her father had been working on since her mother was alive. Jeeter Jr., her brother was out back welding and Taylor was sweeping the porch. Bobby Lee heard her and stepped out on the porch,"That you Loren?"

Lori sighed and climbed out,"Sure is Bobby Lee, lets get this straight my life in Hazzard was he--, Im here fer one thing and thats ta help ya out of the tight situation yer in, Ill run the shine til I get caught by the revenuers or until you get enough money to pay fer this farm."

Bobby Lee sighed and nodded letting her in.

Lori walked in and could see her mother's pictures everywhere, there was pictures of her and taylor and jeeter when they were younger and there was pictures of Jesse and the boys and daisy, some of cooter, B.L. and Dixie and Luther and Anna even. Lori sighed heading up stairs to were Taylor showed her to her room, it was just like her room from when she was little.

Lori went outside and said,"Take me to the still sight and give me the routes.."

Bobby Lee nodded and they headed out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That next morning at the Davenport farm and the Duke farm...........

The next morning at the Davenport farm and the Duke farm things were pretty much the usual everybody was doing chores and having breakfast. The one thing different at the Davenport farm though was Lori wasn't at the table or doing chores but Cooter hadn't got up the nerve to tell them yet that she'd left during the night while they were all asleep.

At the Duke farm breakfast was over and Luke was out back taking out his frustrations on the wood pile as he thought over everything between him and Lori. He loved her he knew and she loved him he knew that too but could they ever really make it work? Sure they got along great most of the time but then others they were like oil and water. He just didn't know what to do......

Bo looked at Luke chopping away at the wood. All the other chores were done and Luke was chopping wood because he chose to not because he had been asked. He looked at Jesse, "What's with him?"

Jesse replied, "Seems Lori left last night. I think he's taking it a bit hard."

Bo asked, "Well, why would he do that? They fought ALL the time!"

Jesse said as he layed his hand on Bo's shoulder, "Maybe you'll unerstand someday."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie asked, "Did ya'll get Lori sobbered up last night? She was singing to the moon when Luke brought me home, since Cooter deserted me and BL wasn't ready to leave yet."

Luther raised an eyebrow a bit but never said a word.

Cooter replied, "Well, she must have. She left about 2 this morning."

Everyone looked at Cooter with surprise, and...................

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that day Bo and Luke went by the garage to get parts for the General Lee. Luke looked at Cooter and said, "You know you've been working way to hard lately. If you need someone to drive the wrecker I'll take it in the evenings some for ya."

Cooter gave him a strange look. "Won't that sorta put a kink in your social life?"

Luke replied, "Well, I figure it will keep me out of trouble."

Cooter still was almost in a state of shock at a Duke volunteering for work, but he said, "Well, now you can sure drive as many evenings as you like."

Luke figured between farm work in the day, driving the wrecker in the evenings and runnign shine at night he could make a little extra money but mainly try to prove that he could be responsible and stay out of trouble. See everyone knew if Luke was driving Luther's wrecker he wasn't drinking. He wouldn't even drink a beer if he was running the wrecker. Luke knew operating machinary in some of the situations he found cars that is was dangerous enough without being drinking too.

Cooter looked at Luke and said, "You, ... ah,...... do know....."

Luke finished the sentence, "She left about 2 this morning? Yeah. I know. I heard Midnight go by."

Cooter didn't have to ask what Luke was doing up that late after everything that had happened yesterday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thing went pretty smooth the first couple weeks, but Luke was beginning to look just a bit tired from all his activities, but with Dixie hanging out at the garage he was getting to know her a bit more. He still would wait until after her birthday before even talking to Luther about taking her out.

Everyone looked at Cooter with surprise, and asked him,"Shes gone??"

Cooter sighed and nodded,"Yulp left at 2:00 this morning....

Dixie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lori had let the couple of weeks pass by doing farm work, riding horses, and running shine and racing. She thought of Luke and only sighed at the thoughts, she tried to move on, did no good... there was at least over 50 guys that came by the house to see her and taylor.. Lori denied them all and went on with her work.

Lori was out runnin shine one day and a revenuer came by, if it hadnt been fer the trick that Jesse and Luke had taught her she would've been screwed over. They looked at her as she was "working on Midnight" They stopped and checked her, unbeknowest they couldnt find any..

Lori smirked as they went on up the road as she deciphered the shine from the gas tank.

Lori put it in the trunk and went on down the road.

Dixie asked, "Well, why in the world would she go back to help her Daddy when he never had anything to do with her?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke finished his chores and had Bo take him to pick up the wrecker. He was following Bo to the Boar's Nest. They were supposed to have a band there tonight and everyone would be there including Uncle Jesse and Luther. Everyone watched as Luke turned down several advances from some of the local girls who were looking for a good time. He was setting with Bo, Jeb, Cooter and Mark listening to the band and drinking pop instead of beer. BL, Daisy and Cindy Mae wer swamped with orders.

Cindy Mae asked Daisy, "What's with that cousin of yours? He ain't drank a beer all night and he just plan wasn't 'friendly'.

Daisy said, "Well, Sugar, Luke's usually always friendly so I don't know what's up there, but I know he's driving the wrecker for Cooter tonight."

Cindy Mae seemed to accept that part of teh answer but he had turned down her advances and that plan wasn't like Luke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie asked, "Well, why in the world would she go back to help her Daddy when he never had anything to do with her?"

Cooter replied to her,"Lori left because it hurt her too much to see luke with other women, because she knows that there is something there and she knows that luke knows too, and well she left because it hurt her too much to talk to luke..... "

Dixie sighed and nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke didn't accept Cindy Mae's friendlyness nor did he from any other woman. He thought too much and was trying to act responsible. Jesse pulled him to the side saying,"Me and you are gonna slide on off to still sight 6 and make us a big batch its a big order."

Luke nodded and got in the wrecker driving off.

Him and Jesse met up and they began making the shine.

Jesse looked to Luke as Luke handed him a jar," Im proud of ya son..you've been doing great soo far."

Luke smiled and said,"Thanks.. what would you say to me, lets say, if you had a daughter two years younger than you, would you let me date her?"

Jesse smiled and nodded,"The way you've been acting.... yes I would."

Luke smiled and then thought of Lori,"But is it bad that Im still leaving the Chickomohony option open for Lori though?"

Jesse got serious and said,"I thought you were spose to be moving on??"

I am trying to. I thought at the time I said that to Lori about going to Chickomohony that I had said it cause I was frustrated, but I have to wonder what I would have done if she had told me she thought we could make it work. She had me on the verge of two things that night --- but BL showed up thankfully -- I was either going to turn and walk OR I was going to tell her to forget the whole thing and lets try dating again.

Uncle Jesse nodded and said,"well Luke let me ask you this... what do you feel in yer heart right now for her?"

Luke sighed. When she left the other night it was so hard not to go after her. But she's been gone awhile now and sometimes I think it's good maybe we needed time away from each other, but I still wonder."

Jesse smiled and nodded,"And yuo always will wonder Luke... til you take that chance and see what happens."

Luke smiled to Uncle Jesse and nodded,"Thank ya Uncle Jesse..."

Uncle Jesse only nodded and loaded the last gallons of it in the runner, "Alright we bes be heading on,"

Luke nodded, they pulled out heading to..........

Luke nodded, they pulled out heading to the farm. The delivery wouldn't be made until late tomorrow night. Jesse still hadn't disclosed the location of the delivery to the boys yet. He always figured if he was the only one to know then his secrets wouldn't get out and that helped insure his boys' not getting caught making the deliveries.

In their room Bo asked, "Luke I know you've been driving the wrecker a lot lately, but why?"

Luke fudged with his answer, "The more I work for Cooter the more money we can afford to spend on the General Lee. You know I want him to be the BEST he can BE!"

Bo agreed, "Yeah I know and I do too, but Luke you ain't even went out with anyone in forever. I know you weren't because of Lori before she left, but why not now?"

Luke sighed, "Bo, I have a reputation and a half. You know about Lori and the baby. If that ain't enough I've spent the last while taking out the girls I thought I could score with. If I did, great. If I didn't it really didn't matter cause I likely wasn't taking them out again anyway. I'm not proud of all that or how I treated Lori, but I know IF I would decide to ask a 'nice girl' out that I'd be met in the driveway by her father totin' a shotgun. I have come to realize that if I ever want a real girl friend, I've got to clean up my act. So, if I'm driving the wrecker I won't drink. If I won't drink I likely won't get into trouble with Rosco. I'm working a paying job and the farm, and not to mention what most folks don't know, I'm also helping with the still and deliveries. I'm figuring working hard, drinking less, staying out of trouble may just neutralize some of that reputation to where I might be able to go out with some of the girls in the county you'd not be ashamed of to take home to 'Mama'."

Bo looked confused, "Luke? Are you thinking crazy like settlin' down?"

Luke smiled a bit, "Not no time soon. Which is what started this whole da-- mess with Robin, but I'd like to find a 'nice girl' and see what could happen. I really miss knowing WHO I'm taking home next Friday night." Luke tried to explain but he saw that Bo was possibly more confused now than he was before their talk. Luke's plan sounded good. Sounded reasonable, but he knew that as good and reasonable as it sounded he still thought about a once 'good girl' who now had a reputation of a 'whore' and it was largely due to him. He knew what choices were logical and he was trying to make those choices, but Lori still haunted his memories and dreams.....

Lori lay awake in her bed that night, she had a job at the local bar and ran moonshine by night. She thought, back with my family I should be happy... but it just aint Hazzard County... it doesn't have all the small qualities like it should... finally had enemies too, the Beaudries.... it was like the Hatfields and McCoys figthin to run shine round here.

Taylor walked in and saw that her sister was in need of some guidance of some sort. Taylor turned her nightlight on and plopped on her bed,"Ok sis...whats up??"

Lori lied and said,"Ehhh thinkin of that next run I gotta make.... ole Milo might try ta kill me again, the usual runs.. and some other stuff."

Taylor hadn't heard anything from Hazzard about Lori.

Lori sighed and said,"Tay..let me tell ya something that you can't tell daddy...Did you know that I had a miscarriage?? bout 2 year ago.."

Taylor's eyes lit up in disbelief,"No!! not my little sis.... you couldn't...who was that father???"

Lori thought and looked to Taylor, her hands propped in behind her head relaxed on the pillow,"Luke.... Luke Duke...member him?"

Taylor looked shocked as if someone had shot her,"Ohhh my....I've always been partial to Bo myself though.."

Lori laughed and said,"Ahhh he was to busy chasing after couisns Dixie and B.L."

Taylor laughed and asked,"What was it?"

Lori sighed and said,"A girl....I named her Caitlyn Marie Duke...."

Lori pulled out of her drawer the charm that Luke got her and showed it to her.. she showed her the necklace too. Taylor looked to Lori and said,"You were stupid ta let him go!!"

Lori sighed and said,"Didn't have a choice, we're in a situation that can't be fixed.."

Taylor sighed and said,"Wanna tell me?"

Lori sighed and began to tell her,"See me and him dated at first, we know something is there but can't place it....everytime we see each other we spark something up and thats it, it goes away... he's tryin to move on and so am I and I can't so I give up.... he sorta propsed to me for I left..and now I wonder everyday what it would be like to actually have settled down with him.."

Taylor nodded and said,"Keep wonderin honey...it won't get ya far... take a chance and if it doesn't work out right it just wasn't meant to be."

Lori sighed and said,"He haunts me Taylor and it freaks me out im tellin ya its like im goin dellusional or something!"

Taylor laughed and said,"Ta be quiet honest, I don't think I could see you being a wife and married...you always said you'd never settle down, and cause of yer stupid values and goals you've set fer yerself, it just costed you what could have been the happiest moment of yer life."

Lori knew it and she wondered everyday...she sighed and turned over saying,"Long day tomorrow...got run a lot of delieveries... night sis."

Taylor nodded and went to her room falling aslepp soon after.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the Davenport farm, Luther had Cooter, B.L, and Dixie in the bed. He sighed and looked through some photos of B.L, Dixie, Cooter, and Lori when they were younger... he did miss Lori it got tooo quiet. He'd always have the thrill of getting her in trouble and now shes gone and he doesn't know for how long either..

At the Dukes it wasn't any better, Luke was tossing and turning in his sleep thinking of Lori.... he wanted to take Dixie out but at the same time he wanted Lori right there by his side keeping him warm, this was hurting him farr worse than what he thought it should, Uncle Jesse began to wonder about Luke, maybe he was finally growing up on him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That next morning.....

That next morning Lori got up and did a few chores then started making her deliveries. She tried to keep her mind on her business so's Milo wouldn't try to kill her but she found once in a while her mind would drift to Luke and what could have been. She wondered what him and the rest of the Dukes was doing and what Cooter,B.L and Dixie were doing too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cooter was at the garage that morning already elbow deep in a car's engine that Luke had brought in yesterday on the wrecker. The driver said the car just stalled in the middle of the road for no reason at all. Dixie was propped in B.L's bedroom door trying to convince her to go shopping for Dixie some clothes more like B.L and Daisy wore.

"Please B, you don't gotta work afore tonight lets go shopping."

B.L sighed and threw up her hands she had planned to relax before going to work tonight but Dixie had foiled those plans if she got her way and that was looking very likely because B.L was tired of listening to her. "Alright we'll go to Capitol City in a little while. Dixie nearly bounced with glee and ran over hugging B.L greatfully then running off to her room to get ready to go. B.L shook her head watching Dixie go she had noticed the sudden change in Dixie lately she had stopped dressing so much like a tomboy. B.L suspected there was a boy involved she just didn't know which one but would find out today if it was the last thing she did today.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the Duke farm Bo and Jeb were resting after chores, it was going to be a long night tonight with a big deliverly Luke had told them but none of them knew where yet Jesse hadn't told them yet. Luke was just heading out to the garage to work he hoped it wasn't a busy day so he could get some rest too before tonight's run....

Note: The current ages of Vance 17 and Coy 16.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie and BL headed for Capitol City.

BL said, "So who are you trying to impress?"

Dixie punted, "No one inparticular. I'm just getting tired of being thought of as Cooter's little sister." I AM not THAT little.

BL knew she had a point, she would be sixteen shortly. "We'll have to fix up a BIG birthday party for you but I need to know who is the lucky fellow to make sure he's there."

Dixie grinned a bit, "Just invite all our friends then you'll know you he's there."

BL said, "Ah, HA! SO, there is someone special."

Dixie said, "Well, maybe someone I'd like to get to know better, but he'll never give me a second look."

BL started naming boys in and around Dixie's age.

Everyone she had named so far Dixie had denied liking at all. A couple she had said she would go out with if they asked but it wasn't who she was thinking of.

BL thought, 'She said invite all our friends.' then it hit her. WHy hadn't she thought of them before, "It's one of the Duke boys!"

Dixie tried to deny it but couldn't look innocent at all.

BL smiled. Now she knew. "Ok...... Which ONE????"

Dixie said, "Nevermind!"

BL concluded that it would have to be Coy or Vance. They were the closest to her age and she had always hung out with them at games and sometimes even at school. "Well, it's got to be Coy or Vance."

Dixie just smiled..... If BL wanted to THINK that she could as far as Dixie was concerned. Tonight was 'teen' night at the Boar's Nest and she hoped to have a date of some kind by then so she could at least go. All her friends would be there. Of course Luther and Jesse would be there for awhile to make sure everyone was where they were supposed to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that day at the garage, Cooter had taken a wrecker call and Luke was under the car finishing it up for Cooter.. The motor was secured by a chain and had a jack under it as Luke was about to take loose the motor mounts. Everything else was ready.

A female voice called, "Who's under there?"

Luke answered as he rolled out from under the car on a creeper, "Just me." He looked upside down at the person the voice came from, he pushed farther out and set up to make sure he was seeing what he thought he saw. "Da--, I mean, Dixie?" he exclaimed his question.

"Have you seen my Dad?" she asked.

"Uh,...no,... Cooter's in the wrecker. I haven't seen your Dad." He stuttered, still not believing this was Dixie! She was in hi black boots with fishnet stockings, a skirt black leather skirt, a red silky blouse with spaghetti straps and her hair was not in a ponytail! Her hair was down and curled. There was something else. What? Luke thought.

"Where's the wrecker?" Luther Davenport asked as he entered the garage. "Oh, I'm sorry Miss. Can I help you?" he questioned.

"Daddy!" exclaimed Dixie.

"Dad...?" his voice trailed off as he recognized his daughter. "Dixie?"

A bit annoyed, "Yeah, its me. I have something to ask you. Come here please?" she said as almost a beg.

Once outside, she asked, "Daddy, I was asked to go out to the Boar's Nest tonight by Tommy Rogers. It is teen night and I know you'll be there. Can I please go? He's the first boy to talk to me. Please?"

Luther was torn between protecting his only daughter and not making an enemy of her. "I don't see any harm, like you said I'll be there. But, I want to talk to him first!"

"Yes, Daddy. He'll be by here about closing. Thank you." She said hugging him. "Thank you Daddy!" she squealed as she hugged him and hurried off.

Luke was out from under the car. He had heard most of the conversation. "Luther, I may be out of place, but I say this in good faith. Did she ask to go out with Tommy Rogers?"

Still feeling like the 'Father of the Year', Luther replied, "That's right."

"And you approved?" questioned Luke with a look that said he didn't believe this.

"Well, you've all known Tommy forever. He's been around here many times. Yeah, I approved. Why?" asked Luther.

Luke considered his answer, "I may be out of place. I'm sorry if I am, but I'd rather say it and be wrong than to keep quiet and be right. He asked Daisy out awhile back Jesse sent him packing. He has a reputation of getting 'what he wants' ". Luke said blushing.

"Luke Duke! I'd talk if I were you! I think I know what I'm doing! Reputation! HA! ... Yes, you were out of line!" huffed Mr. Davenport.

Luke held you his hand, "Forget it then. I'm sorry."

Luther paced the garage for quiet awhile saying nothing. Considering the information Luke Duke had shared and the fact he wanted to keep his daughter's love."

Closing time came. Luke took the wrecker's keys and was heading to the truck when Tommy Rogers arrived to pick up Dixie. They were heading to the Boar's Nest to hear Jeb's band. Luke planned on making an appearance there to make sure Tommy was a gentleman. He hurried to the farm, did his evening chores, ate quickly, grabbed a shower and headed to the Boar's Nest in the wrecker.

Teen night was stressful for the employees at the Boar's Nest. They had to ID everyone and watch those who bought alcohol to make sure that those under eighteen didn't manage to get it. The band had began playing. Dixie and Tommy were setting up front. Luke entered taking a seat at the bar. He ordered a Coke and sat sipping it. He hadn't been there an hour when the phone rang. The bartender handed him the phone. It was Maybelle the operator asking for the Hazzard wrecker.

Luke took the phone, "Luke, I got a call. Sheriff Coltrane is stuck up out on Highway 411."

"How could he get stuck on 411? It's paved! ... I'm going. Thanks Maybelle." Luke was peeved.

After getting Rosco out of the ditch he had managed to get himself into, Luke took a shortcut down by the lake to get back to the Boar's Nest before Tommy and Dixie left.

What he didn't know was that Tommy had tried to play the 'gentleman' and take Dixie home early. He had made a detour...

Out by the lake Tommy pulled off the road, he shut the car off, and put the keys in his pocket. He leaned over to kiss Dixie. She was flattered and kissed him back. While kissing her and having her attention he locked her car door -- Dixie didn't hear this. Dixie still thought this was what she had waited for. Tommy leaned farther over to her side of the car beginning to grope her. She tried to push his hands back.

He said, "Put out or get out!" as he tried to pin her between himself and the seat, when Dixie began to get scared. He pinned her to the seat and when she tried to scream he leaned over her putting his weight on her as he continued to grope her.

She got her foot up and kicked him with all her might with the high heel of her boot. He backed off for a moment. She grabbed for the door handle which was locked. He grabbed at her again. Dixie took off one of her boots and began to wail him with all her might as she unlocked the door. She managed to get the door open and ran away as quickly as she could. It had began to rain as she walked the dark road where few cars traveled at this hour of night on a week night. Dixie was soaked through when she heard a vehicle approaching. Fearing it was Tommy she started to hide in the bushes, but before she could find a place she saw the lights coming from the other direction. She flagged the truck down, suddenly recognizing it as her father's wrecker. She was very relieved that it was Luke and not her Father.

Luke saw a wet form of a female flagging him down on a deserted lake road. He immediately stopped. He then realized it was Dixie Davenport. She was barefoot, soaking wet, and her clothes were in disarray.

"Dixie are you OK? What happened?" he pounced a little too quick. He turned up the heat in the truck.

"I'm fine NOW!" she said relieved. "Nothing happened." She said too quickly.

Luke knew she wasn't telling him everything, but knew not to push her or he'd push her away. He drove quickly trying to find the source of her problem. He suspected Tommy had tried (hopefully not succeeding) to push his affections on her. Not finding Tommy immediately, Luke stopped, taking off his jacket, he saw the scared look on her face as she sat shivering. "Dixie, I'm just stopping to give you my jacket. You are wet and I know you are cold." he tried to reassure her.

"Thank you." she said weakly.

He pulled back out and suddenly realized he wasn't sure where to take her. "Dixie, I don't know what you've been through tonight. I can take you to the hospital, to find your Dad, the farm, your house, you just name it. I'll trust your judgment if you don't want to talk about it."

He's being so sweet. She thought, Through the lump in here throat she said, "My house please?"

"You got it." he said a bit relieved. He hoped that if something truly terrible had happened she would have chosen another of his options. Pulling up to the Davenport farmhouse, Luke was relieved to find it dark. He opened the truck door for her and led her to the house. "You are still freezing. Go take a hot shower before you catch your death. Tell me where to find you something to wear and I'll get it."

She sniffed still looking at the floor, "Tall dresser in my room. Thanks, Luke."

"Just go get warm. You don't have to thank me." he said. He went to her room, turned on the light, going to the dresser he opened several drawers before finding something he thought would be warm. A pair of flannel Pajamas, thick socks and underwear. As he turned to go out of the room, hanging on the tall bed post was a thick bath robe and slippers on the floor.

He took them, and the PJ's to the Bathroom door. He knocked, "Dixie, take your time. Your clothes are at the door."

"Ok." a mumbled reply came from the door.

She was either crying or had water in her face. He deduced. Luke walked into the kitchen finding the makings for hot chocolate he also found popcorn. He put the hot chocolate on and started the popcorn. Going to the living room he found marathon of comedies on TV. He also heard the shower cut off. Going back to the kitchen he poured the hot chocolate and put the popcorn in a bowl. Then he went back to Dixie's room where he saw a large quilt on the bottom of her bed, taking it he went back to the couch. As Dixie came out of the bathroom he took the quilt to her, "Here." he said wrapping her in it. "Come in here and see what else I have for you."

She held the quilt tight as the went to the couch, seeing the hot chocolate and popcorn. She smiled almost crying.

"I thought I'd fix the hot chocolate to warm you up and I ran across the popcorn. There are several movies I've been wanting to see on tonight. I figured I might as well stay and make sure you are OK for a bit and maybe you'd like the movies too." he said.

They set on the couch. He handed her the hot chocolate, "Are you warming up?"

She answered truthfully, "I don't think I'll ever be warm again. ... Hold me?" she squeaked. "Please."

"Come here." He took her in his open arms. "I'm here. I'll listen. I'll be a shoulder if you just want to cry."

She looked up at him and melted in his eyes. Letting all her fear and anger flow away with her tears.

"Da---- YOU! Tommy! you have gone way too far tonight!" Luke swore. "You'll answer to me. Just wait!"

After she had cried for awhile, Luke reached for a tissue for her and asked, "Please tell me what happened. I know you didn't do anything wrong."

"He tried to force me,... to, ... you know, ... He told me 'put out ... or get out', ..." she cried.

Luke held his breath, trying to control his temper.

She continued, "So, ... I ... got ... out ... I had to kick him ... Had to hit him with my boot, but I got out ..." she began to cry again. "I almost hide when I heard you,...I thought it was him..." she sniffed.

"Are you sure you are OK? Is there anything I can do?" he asked.

"You are doing more than I can ask. Just please don't tell Daddy, Cooter or anyone else, ever. Please. Promise me?" she begged.

Luke shook his head, "Dukes' Honor." Though he thought, "No,I won't tell anyone, but I swear to get more than even with Tommy Rogers. No matter what! " he almost shook he was so mad. "Anyone to try to force someone against their will is a pretty low life character." he said with disgust. Luke was torn between comforting her and getting even with Tommy. He decided that for now he was needed much more by Dixie. He'd get Tommy later. He stayed, held and comforted Dixie until it was late. He knew Cooter and or Luther would be home soon. "Are you ready to try to get some sleep?" He had felt her doze on his shoulder.

"No." she said honestly.

"I was figuring I'd tuck you in bed. Lock the house on my way out and we'd not have to explain how and why I'm here at midnight." he said.

"Oh, sh---!" she looked at the clock. It was seconds away from midnight. "Luke you have got to go!"

"Calm down, let me tuck you in and I'll be gone before they get here." he said soothing her.

She climbed into bed. Luke spread the extra quilt over her even though it was summer. He pulled the covers up to her chin, tucking her in. "Goodnight, Dixie.

She managed to pull her arms back out to hug him, "Thank you Luke."

"No problem. Good night. I'll lock the house on my way out." he assured her.

She laid in bed, heard the wrecker start and drive away.

Luke managed to get home shortly before 1 am. He was late and he kne it. "Uncle Jesse I'm sorry I'm late but I got tied up on a wrecker call and couldn't get here any soon.

Jesse nodded and said, "Ok. Here's what we have. We've got 10 gallons in Tilley and 10 gallons in the usual blocker. Bo and Jeb are driving them. Luke you take the General Lee and run blocker for them. Your heading up to Johnson County Tennesse. Luke you know the mail boxes and here's the keys to drop the first 10 gallons the second ten goes to that bar outside of the town there. You've been there with me before."

Luke nodded, "Wranglers? Yeah I know it and the mail boxes. I pick up the money from the mail box. Delivery to Wrangles, get the money there and then go to the other mail box and drop the rest of the shine."

Jesse smiled. "You were paying attention."

Lori was loading Midnight and was heading out. Luke, Bo, and Jeb were already there makig their deliveries when they saw Lori go flying by with a revenuer on her tail end. Luke saw Midnight and got in the General speeding off after her. It was too dark for the revenuers could see who she was or what Luke had in mind. He pulled in front of the revenuers, were Midnight and General were the same make and modle of cars, Lori pulled off in a dip and saw the revenuers pull luke over checking him... nothing of course.

Luke went back to her and smiled getting out seeing her for the very first time again.

Lori smiled and sweetly asked,"What brings you to these neck of the woods?"

Luke smiled and said,"Most likely the same thing yer doing."

Lori looked to Luke and said,"i gotta make my last run to Willard's wanna join me at the bar afterwards?"

Luke smiled and couldn't resist her sweet warming invite. He agreed sending Bo and Jeb on home.

Lori made her delivery and they headed to the bar.

Luke looked around and saw that Lori was very popular there.

They took a seat in the back, Lori smiled and shook her head,"Luke... ta be quiet honest with ya.."

She took a sip of her beer,"I missed you..and I aint moved on, i've tried and tried and I cant."

Luke smiled and looked to her,"Truth is...i've tried, aint got far..Lori you haunt my dreams and my thoughts I find my self sometimes constantly thinking of you and what might have been..... Im glad I ran into ya."

Lori smiled and ran her index finger around the rim of her glass,"I always thought of what might have been.... Luke, I thought of how lucky i actually was when you asked me that and I knew that I might have been doing the right thing, but something tells me that there could be more or...there could be less it was just a chance that ou have to take...that im willing to take.."

"You are speaking of when I mentioned going to Chickomonhony?" Luke smiled weakly and then said, "I thought when I said that I was saying it because I was frustrated. But, after I heard Midnight pass the farm that night, I wondered what I would have done if you'd have said you thought we could work. And, " he paused and looked her in the eye, "I've wondered IF maybe we could have made it work......." Luke then said, "Do you think we could? Ever?"

Lori looked him in the square in the eyes and replied," If we tried hard enough Luke....we could.. Cooter has told me that you've been trying to be more responsible and all...if we tried hard enough we could...."

Luke sighed, "I'll be honest, I'm not sure I'm ready, but I don't want to loose you."

Lori sighed and smiled rubbing his arm,"I dont want to losse you either, but if you aint ready then dont make that kind of decision just yet..."

Luke replied, "Da-- it, Lori! Don't look so hard at what I'm saying. You know I'm always sticking my foot in my mouth. This is as likely the closest I'm gonna get."

Lori looked to Luke shocked and amazed,"Luke I... well if you wanna marry me then Im all for it to try it....I just don't want to make you do something you dont want to do.."

Luke.........

Luke looked at her and replied, "Believe me you aren't 'making' me do anything."

Lori's eyes were wide with tears swelling up in them,"Luke.... you seriously want to try this dont you??"

Luke said a bit choked up, "Yeah. Come back to Hazzard with me?"

Lori, "I will....in a heart beat!"

Luke nodded, "Ok, I'll get us a room for the night, you can get your stuff tomorrow, and then we can head home and tell everyone they have a wedding to plan for."

With tears in her eyes all she could do was nod 'ok'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke went in the small hotel and got a room for the night. The clerk gave him a strange look when he saw the 2 near identical (except for the color) cars on his lot.

Luke met Lori at the car and walked her to the room. As he opened the door, he said to break the sudden awkwardness that had appeared between them, "Come show me exactly why I want to all of a sudden stop seeing other girls?"

Lori grinned wickedly, "Ohhhh, I'll be happy to oblige...more than you know... I think it's cause I do this......., " She started to nibble on his neck and kisses him passionaltely..."

Luke barely got the door closed behind him. It promised to be a he-- of a night. Lori had been gone from Hazzard just over a month. They wanted each other far worse tonight than when Luther had made the month long bet with Luke. This time they hadn't known they would be back together ever, let alone this soon. They barely got their clothes off before falling back on the bed. There would be no sleep in this room tonight!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in Hazzard the next morning. Jesse saw everyone come into the kitchen except Luke. "Don't tell me Luke's still in bed?"

Bo and Jeb looked at each other, both wanting the other to explain their cousin's absence. Jeb said to Bo, "You're older."

Bo replied, "Not by THAT much."

Jeb replied, "This morning I'll take what I can get."

Jesse sternly said beginning to fear the worse, "Somebody better start telling me where Luke is right now."

Bo saw Jesse was misreading the situation and began to put most of his fears to rest, "Uncle Jesse the run when Ok for us all. We were on our way back when evidently Lori flew by Luke with a revenurer on her tailfeathers. Luke said he managed to get in between them and let them search the General instead of Midnight. Well, afterwards he met up with Lori, then told us to head on home and he'd be behind us." Bo layed the money envelpes of the table and said, "He sent this with me. That's all I know."

Jesse let his relief show. He wasn't sure he was happy about the situation but after having talked with Luke about Lori he could only HOPE they had both came to their scences. "Well, he'll be on directly I expect. Breakfast is getting cold."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About noon two Dodge Chargers, one black and one orange, rolled into Hazzard. They had discussed their first stop and hoped Bobbie Lee hadn't called ahead of them. Luke pulled into the garage with Lori pulling in right beside him.

All the Davenports were at the garage as Luke and Lori had hoped. Luke took Lori's hand and walked into the garage. He walked over to Luther, who had been more of a father to Lori than Bobbie Lee so he'd be the first they told, Luke looked the man in the eyes. They usually had a pretty good relationship because of Jesse's friendship and Luke's hard work at the garage, but this was entirely different! Luke remembered the warning he gave Luther just the other day about Tommy Rogers and how Luther had let him know just what he thought about Luke's own reputation. Luke took a deep breath and began, "Luther I was able to talk Lori into coming back to Hazzard and becoming my wife."

Luther looked at Luke slack jawed he didn't exactly know what to think, he was glad Lori was back in town but this about her and Luke getting married had him floored. He scratched his head and stammered a little. "Well....L...Luke...that's.....uh...rea...real...nice."

The rest of them Cooter, B.L and Dixie was standing close enough to hear what Luke said of course he wasn't exactly whispering anyway. They were just as shocked at Luther hearing the news they looked between Luke and Lori back and forth over and over so much one would think their heads would snap off their necks. Lori looked at her cousins and grinned asking them "Well ain't ya'll gonna congradulate me?"

Dixie ran out of the garage before anybody could see her tears. The others just looked at her in stunned silence as she disappeared out of the garage wondering what was up with her she'd been really happy lately about her upcoming 'big' birthday. Cooter looked at Lori with a much of a heart felt smile as he could muster and hugged her whispering in her ear. "Congradulations Lor"

B.L was still a little stunned but seeing Dixie run out like that she started to think about the conversation they had the day they went shopping and it all made sense now the dressing up more like she herself,Lori and Daisy did. Dixie wanted to impress Luke. She looked back at Lori and hugged her briefly "congradulations Lori, guess I'd better go see what's up with Dix make sure she's not sick or something."

Lori smiled and nodded B.L headed out of the garage in search of Dixie. The younger girl wasn't hard to find either she was just at the side of the garage in the alley leaning against the wall. B.L sat down beside her and spoke quietly.

"That shopping trip we took you wanted to get clothes to impress Luke didn't ya?"

Dixie choked on her tears nodding, B.L.......

B.L. sighed and looked to Dixie,"Cousin.. if you wouldve told Luke how you felt then this probably wouldn't be happening!!"

Dixie let a tear fall and nodded,"I know it wouldn't.... and I knew I never could compare to Lori or match the feelings she has for him and him in return to her.... I guess I better face the music and get this over with....."

B.L. nodded hugging her and walking back in, Dixie forced a smile but seeing Luke with his head rested on Lori's shoulder was hard to bear. Dixie smiled and hugged Lori saying,"Congrats cuz."

Luke knew it hurt Dixie pretty bad, actually damaged her.

Luke sighed and looked to everyone,"Im off to do farmwork,"

Lori nodded,"As am I..."

The two left. Luther was speechless his mouth gabbed open. Cooter had lamost fainted and B.L. was shocked beyond belief.

When Luke pulled up at the farm him and Lori took each other's hands and walked in.

Jesse looked to Luke and smiled then he saw Lori.. Luke announced to everyone in the kitchen,"I talked Lori into coming back with me and to be my wife."

Jesse............

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unknowingly to Luke and Lori's surprise Mark was there, when he heard the news he quickly left to go tell Robin. Robin of course was married to Ralph, When Mark found her though he blurted out,"LUKE AND LORI IS GETTING MARRIED!!!!!!!"

Robin..........

Jesse recovered the quickest of the Dukes. "Well, now congratulations!"

Daisy exclaimed, "Oh, My Lord!"

Bo asked, "You two are WHAT?"

Jeb said, "Yeah, I agree with Bo, you're what?"

Coy and Vance were suprised and said, "Why?"

Jesse thought he'd better ask a similar question, "Is there a particular reason?"

Luke shook his head 'no', "Not what you're thinking of no. Ah, unless," He was thinking it could have happened last night, "Not that we know of anyway." He said as a best way to answer Jesse honestly.

Lori did have the graces to blush just a bit at Luke's implication and elbowed him just a bit.

Luke shot her a look.

It didn't go unseen by Jesse, "You better get used to that if she's gonna be yer wife, son."

Bo had finally got his thoughts together a bit, "So when can we throw you a bachlor party?"

Luke looked to Lori. They had talked about this in the wee hours of the morning. He'd let Lori tell them about their plans.

Lori said a bit shyly for her personality, because she wasn't sure the failies would like their idea, "We'd like to go over to Chickomohony on Sat."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robin tried to control her reaction, but Mark seen it had hit her pretty hard. Robin said verbally, "Well, I knew he was bound to get married some time. Might as well be now and to HER and anyone else. What do I care anyway.

She may have said that, but Mark saw a totally different reaction. He was sure what she would do but he knew she would do something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dixie wished she hadn't reacted like she did. She knew from the get go she didnt' have a snowballs chance at getting Luke Duke to notice her. He had just been a nice friend of the family who treated her like a little sister. Now, he was marrying her cousin. She would just have to set he sites a bit lower but a lot higher than Tommy Rogers!

After the initial shock had wore off the three girls went upto the loft to plan the wedding. Dixie was trying to act happy but B.L could tell she wasn't one bit happy but she was trying to be for Lori's sake. B.L had to give the kid credit there cos she wasn't sure she could pull it off she'd probably have beat the crap outta Lori by now.....

Lori looked to the girls and sighed shaking her head,"girls.... this is FREAKIN hard!!!"

B.L. smirked and Dixie sighed. They had the wedding planned an whatnot. Lori took the plans and put them in a folder. She had a picture sketched out of what she wanted it to look like and she wanted Dixie to be her maid of honor. Lori sighed and looked to them,"Well girls he should be here to go over em with us.."

B.L. snorted,"Dont see why he has ta see em.."

Lori: Cause he's the groom!!!

B.L. just rolled her eyes and walked to her room. Dixie sighed and looked to Lori, and shook away some tears going in the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke had just gotten finished with the chores and was out on his way to go to the Davenport farm.....

Luke felt the tension when he pulled up. He climbed out of teh General Lee and went to the porch. He was greeted by Lori at the door. They were all going to set down at the kitchen table and see what the girls came up with. Luke was glad to see Cooter in the living room. He said, "Good! You are here. I may need you."

Cooter looked thrilled, "Do I have too? They have driven ME crazy all day with this stuff."

Lori began showing Luke the invitations. "Which ones do you like?" She held up two different ones.

Luke looked at Cooter for help. "Why do we even need invitations? Everyone in the county knows by now. The ones who want to will be there. The ones that don't want to make the drive will be at the reception. Which is still at the Boar's Nest right?"

Cooter gave him a 'I feel for you' look.

Lori sighed and said,"Why must you make things complicated and just pick one, and yes the reception is still at the Boar's Nest.."

Luke gave Lori a look. Then, he said,"The one on the left." Little did he know she liked the one on the right.

Lori, "But I like the one on the right!"

Luke, "Well why did you have me pick one out then?"

Lori said, "Cause yer the groom!!!"

Luke, "Well, get the one on the right then!!!"

Lori, "Don't want it now.... I want the one on the left."

Luke looked to Cooter and sighed shaking his head.

She then picked up the pictures of the flowers. They were roses of white, red and yellow.

Luke sighed. "I take it you are wanting to go all out with this?"

Lori looked to him and cocked her head sideways,"Dont you want to?"

Luke sighed loudly again, "I was sorta hoping to drive over, have teh family and a few friends there, have the cermony and head back"

Lori looked down and gave him a puppy dog face,"You dont want it to be special do you??"

Luke knew he was beaten, "Yes, that's why I wanted to come back and tell everyone instead of just taking off. Tell you what, tell me what to wear and when to be there and we'll solve a whole lot?"

Cooter ducked a little.

Lori looked to him and put her hands on her hips and tapped her foot rather loudly,"Wanna try that again???"

B.L. saw the look Lori was giving Luke and knew she was ready to pounce him, B.L. quickly came into the kitchen fro the living room and said,"Luther wants ta talk to ya Lukas.... says its bout this wedding.." Luke had been saved by B.L.

Lori sighed and leaned against the counter.

Luke smiled and kissed her nose,"Whatever's fine by you is fine by me.." He walked off to go to the porch sighing rather loudly. He figured they would have a talk and righ tnow he'd rather face Luther than to try to second guess what he was supposed to like as far as wedding decorations. He took a deep breath ad squared his shoulders for this this. It may not be pretty. He stepped out on the porch and said, "BL said you wanted me."

Luther said, "Have a seat. I actually figured you may need resqued about now."

Luke leaned against the porch rail half setting and half standing.

Luther said, "First, I bet you don't happen to have any of Jesse's finest with you do you?"

Luke looked surprised that Luther would ask, but replied, "Well, I just might have a little. Let me look." He headed to the trunk of the General Lee and found a nearly full pint jar. Returning, he said, "I did have a bit. I'll get some glasses."

Luther shook his head, "From the jars fine by me."

Luke looked really surprised but passed the jar to Luther who took a healthy drink and passed it back to him. Luke took a sip caustiously not knowing where this was going.

Luther began, "You know Lori's been more mine that my brothers for far too long."

"Yes, Sir, that's why we waited to tell you first and then she called Bobbie Lee later." Luke said.

"Well, being as I have that responsiblity I wanted to talk to you before you two went through with this. I am very glad you talked her into coming back home. But, I want you to be VERY sure this is what you BOTH want. I don't want her hurt and if I find out you are doing her wrong you WILL answer to ME!" Luther said frankly.

Luke nodded, "I have every intention of doing everything that I can to make her happy." He paused, "If I can survive the wedding."

Luther chuckled to him and took another sip of the shine. Luke walked back in the house around about an hour later. Luther walked in and went upstairs smiling to Lori laying stretched out on the couch, B.L. and Dixie were upstairs, more than likely plotting ways to sabatoge her wedding. Luke walked over and plopped down beside her taking her in his arms letting her set half way up and half way laying.

"You are aware you'll be moving back in Uncle Jesse's right?"

Lori looked up to him and nodded. Luke rested his head on hers. Lori reached up to kiss him and smelt the shine on his breath,"Been drinkin shine huh??"

"Luther wanted a taste to celebrate. It's not like I'm drunk."

Lori looked to him and retorted,"I never said anything about you bein drunk now did I?

Lukes reply, "No Darlin' you didn't; but you didn't seem real pleased that I'd had a drink with YOUR uncle.I'm trying to get along here. You know me and Luther don't always see eye to eye."

Lori sighed and knew it was true she kissed Luke and settled back into his chest. Luke smiled, glad she didn't want to argue.

Luther came back downstairs and saw the two asleep on the couch he woke Luke up, by telling him Jesse had called and wanted him home to talk.

Luke took Lori upstairs tucking her in, remembering doing Dixie the same way. Lori snored and rolled over when Luke kissed her and left. Lori awoke long enough to hear the general leave and head down the road, She went back to sleep.

Luke arrived home.........

Luke arrived home. It was late for Jesse to be up if they weren't running shine, but he was on the porch waiting. Luke took it as not a good sigh. Luke said cautiously, "Luther said you wanted me home?" Luke was a bit confused he had been out much later and Jesse never called looking for him.

Jesse nodded, "Yeah, I did call. I know you two plan to be married in a couple days. And, I know your alls history, but it ain't proper to be at your bride to be's house all night long. Luke if you two are gonna do this, please do it the right way, son."

Luke was confused, "I planned to be home a coule hours ago. Luther wanted to have a drink. I didn't want to drive real soon after drinking. Lori and I talked in the living room and we both must have dozed off on the couch. That's where we were when Luther woke me up."

Jesse accepted the explination, knowing Luther would have dealt with them on his end had it not been so innocent. But he added, "Luke people talk. Everyone in ten counties knows the General. Come home at a decent hour the next couple nights huh?"

Luke smiled, "Ok. I will."

Jesse reached behind him and pulled out a quart jar of shine. He poured Luke a glass and also him one. Then, he brought up a good point. One that Luke had failed to think completely through. "Luke I know Lori has stayed here many times through out your all's childhood. I love my house full so don't take this wrong. Son, we have three bedrooms. Two of which have three people a piece in them. (Jesse was sharing his room with Coy and Vance who had a bunk bed in his room. Jeb stayed with Bo and Luke. Daisy had her room which is where Lori always stayed before when she stayed or lived there.) Son, I know you will want to share a bed and a room with your bride. I have been thinking on this for a long while tonight. Have you given it any thought?"

Luke looked a bit embarassed, then smiled a little, "Uncle Jesse this whole marriage thing is new to me. I haven't given it a thought until you mentioned it. I know there is 'room' for Lori cause she has stayed here so much in the past, but you are right. She always stayed wit Daisy." He paused.

Jesse saw the 'wheels turning as he thought'. Finally Luke said, "Well, it's summer for now. Bo and Jeb could move their twin beds to the barn. We could move Daisy's full bed in our room and give her the other twin bed. If we saved my share of the shine and farm money and I pulled wrecker duty some like I have been doing. How much would it cost to build a room and have it ready before it gets cold?"

Jesse smiled. He had been thinking much the same things. "Well, first you have to talk to Bo and Jeb. I'd like to do this with as little disruption as possible, which is why I was gonna offer to take a twin bed in my room. It would give me and the boys more room and you and Lori could use mine and your aunt Marths' bed."

Luke felt a knot the size of Texas come into his throat. He knew Jesse had made the big four poster bed by hand. He knew that each of his cousins and himself had been born there. They had also retreated there in there childhood when they needed comfort or were sick. The family saying about that bed was that 'nothing but love had ever touched that four poster bed', which meant, in accepting that offer Luke had a lot to live up too. He took a large drink of shine and tried to wash the 'knot' away. It was still there as he thought about his and Lori's relationship. Jesse himself had told Luke that he and Lori had 'something' together. Luke couldn't help but have a few doubts. He had thought this week of his life would never come and if it did it would be several years down the road.

Jesse saw that Luke was thinking hard on his answer.

Luke finally said, "Uncle Jesse I don't want to let you down. I know the family history of that bed......"

Jesse took a drink of shine and replied, "Son, if you have doubts now. Now, is the time to THINK long and hard about what you are doing."

Luke took a couple of drinks of his shine. It was not missed by Jesse. Then, Luke replied, "You told me we have something. I fell something. I have went through he-- this last month with out her, but we have a history of crashes and burns. Can we keep this converation between just us?"

Jesse replied, "Of course." He hoped he didn't see problems on the horizon.

Luke took another large drink finishing his glass, "I think your bed would be putting a lot more pressure on me to make things work out than I already feel. I appreciate the offer and all. It truely means alot to me, but I'd feel better trading Daisy. At least for right now."

Jesse understood what Luke was trying to say and nodded. "Ok as long as you square it with her and the boys. As for the room I think we can swing the materials soon and start the construction so the boys will be back in the house long before it gets cold."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word had spread all over Hazzard and surounding counties of the up coming wedding. There was some speculation in the beauty shops and other gathering places, as to whether or not Lori was pregnant and whether or not Luke 'had' to marry her. This was one of the expected joys of being raised in a small town!

Lori awoke in the middle of the night and sat and thought. She really couldn't believe that she WAS getting married, especially to the man shes always loved and a small boy her mother talked about her settling down with. Lori sighed and then thought of hers and Luke's history, they had more crashes and burns than anything but they always seemed to come back together and make things rigth with each other. Lori thought long and hard before laying down and going back to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That next morning when the Davenports awoke.....

(sorry guys i had to leave i got on here later than usual)

Lori awoke in the middle of the night and sat and thought. She really couldn't believe that she WAS getting married, especially to the man shes always loved and a small boy her mother talked about her settling down with. Lori sighed and then thought of hers and Luke's history, they had more crashes and burns than anything but they always seemed to come back together and make things rigth with each other. Lori thought long and hard before laying down and going back to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That next morning when the Davenports had awoke, Lori was the first up. She had taken her a shower and was in the kitchen making breakfast. Luther was up second, he smelled the fresh aroma and his nose trailed him down to the kitchen to see Lori singing and smiling. Luther knew she was happy, but they all really wondered how long it'd be before they split up. Lori sat the table and poured coffee for Cooter and Luther, the girls all drank oragne juice. Lori walked through the house beating and banging on the doors hollering,"RISE AND SHINE YOU LAZY OUTFITS!!!! GIT UP!!! TIME TO GET THE DAY STARTED!!!"

Cooter rolled out of the bed, literally and went to the bathroom, wiping his face off. Dixie got up and stretched putting on her 'play' clothes. B.L. yelled,"SHUT UP LORI!!!!!"

Lori smirked and said,"MAKE ME!!!"

B.L. groaned and said,"Ill be more than happy too!!" She pounced out of bed and out of the hall way, were Lori had an ice cold glass of watr and tossed it on B.L.'s face waking her up. B.L. cussed a blue streak and went after Lori. Lori ran out of the house laughing and stopped in the middle of the yard were B.L. stopped dead and went in the house cussing. Lori walked back in and sat down. it was the first actual time that the Davenports sat down to the table to eat breakfast together. they talked about the days work ahead and the jobs that needed done, Lori had to go to the church house to see how she needs it decorated and see how many seats they need, then she had to go to the Boar's Nest for the reception and see how that had to be set up. She still didn't have a dress either, she was really tempted to just tell everyone to come as they are, but it was the traditional wedding, and she was raised better than that.

When Lori was done she made her way to Midnight, B.L. and Dixie were going to follow in behind her to Chickomohony to the church house to outline the plans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the Duke farm, the boys and Daisy had ate and was all outside doing chores. Vance and Coy was in town gathering fencing materials, Daisy was at work at the Boar's Nest, Jeb was out to the barn with Bo and Luke shoveling the hay to get it stacked and bailed up for the winter. Luke looked to Bo and Jeb and asked,"Fellers..... as ya'll know Lori and I get married she'll come here and live with us.... well theres only three rooms and I'd like to share a bed with my bride. Jeb sighed and said,"So's yer wantin us ta stay out here, more than likely huh?"

Luke looked to Jeb and Bo,"Onyl fer the remainder of the summer... til we get the new room built."

Bo and Jeb didn't know wether to agree with him or what. They nodded and said,"Lor has been like a sister to us all.... so yea we'll help ya'll out."

Luke smiled and nodded thanking them. He'd talk to Daisy when he saw her.

Luke heard Midnight go by and smiled, then sighed,"Fellers, she wants to go alll out with this... flowers, invitations, everything!!"

Bo and Jeb looked to each other and fell over laughing.

Luke sighed, he knew she'd drag him into going over there with her sooner or later...

Luke got finished and went to the garage were he saw Luther and Cooter there............

]