Dukes of Hazzard"The Beginning" is rated R

TimDuke

Oh let me add my widsom to the debate as well....

I think a lot of people have a problem with Tim Duke becuase he thinks he knows it all and that unless something is a crabon copy of the original its not good enough. Well, for the rest of us we are Ok with embracing change. We know things cannot be like the 1980s again and we are OK with it.

As for who is a better fan agrument...man I grow sick and tired of this. I really do. And its just not here but other places as well. Just because someone doesnt have a 69 charger or every season DVD or lets say season tickets to their faviorate football team does nto make them any less of a fan than those who do. Sometimes people can't afford these things. Would it be great to own them? Hell yeah. But its also great to eat and pay the bills.

Tim duke, we know you hate the new stuff. We know you want it like it used to be, but you just have to realize that it wont ever be the way it used to be. Thats now how the world works now. Would I have liked it better if My Little Pony stayed the way it instead of the new revamp. Hell Yes. He-man also changed from its original 1980s look. And have you seen the new transformers movie? Nothing like the original cartoon. Things change. You do not have to embrace it. Fine. In fact go and watch your old DVDs and ride around in your 69 charger. But like it or lump it change is going to happen to this property along with others from the 80s. If you hate it, fine. But does every post need to be about hou expressing your hatred for it. We got it. You dont like it. We understand that. You want things to be like they were in the 80s. Thats great. But it won't happen.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, folks, been gone a while. Gone so long I made another account forgetting I had this one! But I'm back, and now lemme re-state what I stated:

I saw the piece of crap movie that was Dukes in name only, and then I saw in the trailers for this that it looks like they're following that continuity closely. As such is the case, I can safely say the only thing worse than a Broken Lizard movie is an IMITATION Broken Lizard movie.

If this somehow ends up on cable or regular TV, I MAY watch it out of curiosity just like I waited for the movie to be on HBO. But no way in hell I'd blow any of my money on what's obviously trash.

It doesn't have to be exactly like the old show, but it could at least adhere to the things that made the old show so well liked and update them. When you got pot smoking rednecks who curse like NYers and act like total morons, that ain't the Dukes.

Amen GENERAL CHARGER. I totally agree. I never said I wanted a carbon copy. I can understand updating like giving them cell phones instead of CB radios and using computers stuff like that. If you make a movie based on a popular TV show at least stay true to established story lines and character traits.They could have just as easily made it without resorting to "American Pie" tactics and made it more palatable to us more orthodox fanatics.In my opinion the first movie would have done even better if it had stayed true to the original. Look at Star Wars or Superman.Those two movie franchises are 2 of the most successful of all time yet they have stayed true to what the original was. It worked for them,why not the Dukes? I disagree change only happens because we who buy the product allow it to change. We have the power. If we would refuse to buy what we don't want to see,they would change the product back to what it was.

In my opinion the first movie would have done even better if it had stayed true to the original. Look at Star Wars or Superman.Those two movie franchises are 2 of the most successful of all time yet they have stayed true to what the original was.

You might be right on that point, Tim. Not that the film had to be a carbon copy or in keeping with exact storyline (though a "canon" backstory for example would have made for a good yarn!), but sticking to the type of humor and life values portrayed in the series certainly would have brought more existing fans in. Perhaps just as much money would have been made simply out of evoking nostalgia and making people feel good about their entertainment. The 2005 remake did fly, however, with a different crowd of young people... and what can we do about that? Personally I find it sad that when they hear "Dukes of Hazzard" they will picture Sean William Scott's unintelligent crudity and Jessica Simpson's pop-star attitude and various scandals, but it's a free country. For myself, I would have greatly preferred something closer to the "feel" of the original, and that could have been done even with a tasteful PG-13 rating if the producers had cared enough to give it any thought whatsoever.

Which they didn't, and still apparently don't. What we have here is not fans of the show enjoying a childhood dream, but a few guys looking for cheap thrills and capitalizing on the names of places and characters known to already have been a hit once, in search of an extra few million. They succeeded in their quest - they built a new following of a new idea and did quite well financially. So unfortunately, Tim, your hopes of drying up the "new product" by attempting to raise a boycott against the new films won't work. They aren't simply going to go away. I'm sorry to put it so harshly, I'm not much happier with the situation - but that is, as they say, show business. All we really can do is hold onto good memories and pride, and keep makin' more good memories in places like HazzardNet and Dukesfest.

We may not be able to be rid of the new films, but I believe time will tell which will endure. We already have close to thirty years' seniority, and we're still going strong. I think that suggests the answer, in the end.

~Lukas

.In my opinion the first movie would have done even better if it had stayed true to the original .

That might be true, then again it might not. What worked on TV in the early 80's might not have translated well to the mid 2000's. Times have changed, tastes have changed , attitudes have changed. Sure morals and a family atmosphere will never change, but that doesn't translate into the almighty dollar that is running big business.

We can have this "debate" till Kingdom Come about the movie doing better but it doesn't change the fact that it made money for WB and the people made it.

.Look at Star Wars or Superman.Those two movie franchises are 2 of the most successful of all time yet they have stayed true to what the original was. It worked for them,why not the Dukes?.

Back off on the Star Wars comment. After all that was a continuation of a movie and was set to include sequals or basically the next chapter in the series. It WASN"T a remake .

Superman was the basically the same way. Superman Returns was a Hollywood diappointment compared to what they had hoped. And that one was "true" to what Superman was.

. I disagree change only happens because we who buy the product allow it to change. We have the power. If we would refuse to buy what we don't want to see,they would change the product back to what it was.

That statement is not correct - if you refuse to buy what YOU want then it gets changed back(not really quoted ). As far as the DOH that statement is far from accurate. I think it brought more people back to the original series. From there they can make their own judgements about what they like.

It was good to see someone's take on the show. Didn't matter if it was right or wrong, it got talked about in the DOH fan community and will continue to do so.

Like I have said numerous times - the synergy built between the movie and the series on CMT helped each other . The movie got tons of publicity and the series got tons of exposure and was brought back to the forefront of "classic" TV. There are ebbs and tides in business. 2005, the Dukes was riding the crest of the wave because of it.

If people are going to continue the talk about the movie or the upcoming Direct-To-DVD movie then it's job is done, no matter how bad or good it is. You will people and fans alike that will view it out of curiousity or because it has the name and the General Lee in it.

Like I have said over and over " Nothing will ever beat the original" , but I still loved the 2005 movie.

I'm gone

Darrell

Okay, then let's try this. Forgetting the Dukes movie was supposed to be the Dukes, this is complete and total BS entertainment. Grown men acting like they have some kind of mental retardation, crude jokes and a severe lack of plot do not and SHOULD not a good movie make. If this is the level cinema has to take to find an audience, then I feel bad that we as a society have allowed ourselves to get so dumbed down as to find this kind of thing mildly amusing. I'll stick to SMART comedies, movies like Ghostbusters which managed to somehow make a joke WITHOUT the stars acting like they dropped out of school in 2nd grade.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...