Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B.L. grins shaking her head

"It's ok I was just messing with ya I know it's been rough."

Frowning at the news Luke has missed another night's sleep and seeing the two next to her haven't fared much better. B.L. wipes the frown from her face then giving Daisy a conspirital wink says giggling

"Guess we'll just have to use that rope on him."

In the tiny room in ICU the doctor is making rounds,upon entering Bo's room he see's Luke awake and looking worse for wear but Bo is still sleeping under the influence of the powerful drugs from last night. Checking Bo over the doctor turns to Luke

"There hasn't been any change in his system after last night's episode so we'll be moving him to a regular room in just a bit. Why don't you go get something to eat and we'll let you and your family know when he's set up in the new room.

Luke starts to protest but the doctor cuts him off

"He won't even know your gone,besides you could use a little time away."

Nodding defeated Luke pats Bo's hand and brushing the hair from his forehead goes out to the waitingroom where the others are waiting.

Uncle Jesse is the first to see him standing and steering Luke to a chair

"How's Bo this morning"

Luke sits down wearily stretching aching muscles

"He's still asleep from the drugs last night but the doctor says he's about the same as yesterday and they'll have him in a room in a little while."

Daisy was quick to take up a chair next to Luke, seeing the exhausted look and the way his legs seemed to wobble beneath him when he walked. She gently started to stroke the back of his neck again, leaning her head comfortingly on his shoulder.

She could tell how worried Luke was through the lack of sparkle in his blue eyes that were now fighting to stay open. She then remember what Luke had been saying the previous day and looked up at him.

"Luke...what's happening to Bo? You said you knew something but you wanted me to wait until today for you to tell me."

Luke scoots to the edge of his seat Daisy's making him sleepier if that's possible and he's afraid to give in to the exhaustion. Sighing as he rubs his hands down his face he looks at B.L. and asks

"Did you find out what I asked ya to?'

B.L. nods

"Bo ain't been to see Doc Appleby in a long while now not even for a cold."

Luke nods that's just what he thought,the news would be sighing again he prepares to tell the rest of them what he knows and has already shared with B.L.

But before Luke can say a word Uncle Jesse gives him a stern look

"Lukas ya best not have been keeping something about Bo being so sick from me."

Clearing his throat glad to have both Daisy and B.L. close by just in case Uncle Jesse decides to make good on his normal threat of a tanning.

"Uh well when I got to the lake and found Bo he got sick and when I scooted around behind him I noticed a bug,those electronic listening devices on his belt and figured that had to be part of the reason Bo's been actin so strange. I wrote on a piece of paper to tell him to make up a story till I got it off and he passed out before I could find out what was really goin' on, but it sounded so convincin' I had B.L. check it out for me before she came back here."

Uncle Jesse doesn't know just what to do with Luke for keeping this sort of thing from him. So giving Luke a withering look he scolds heatedly

"I oughta whup ya good for not tellin me sooner and I may still but ya had better not ever keep somethin like this from me again understand?"

Luke looks at the toes of his boots answering quietly

"Yes sir"

Jesse nods satisfied for now but plans to get to the bottom of this as soon as Bo's able.

B.L. squeezes Luke's arm supportively getting a small smile from him as he peeks over his shoulder at her. Once again seeing the dark circles and haggard look in his face she decides to try and get him to rest once Bo's in a room and if he won't cooperate she is ready to do battle and win this argument one way or another.

Daisy gasped as Luke re told what he had found out and she nodded firmly, tears pricking at her eyes, as Uncle Jesse told Luke off, agreeing with him. That was not something he should have kept from the family.

"Luke I dont believe you didn't tell us! What if that could have helped the doctor figure out what's happening to him? Did you even tell the doc that Bo hit his head nearly a week ago?!"

The tears fell softly down her cheeks as she yelled at Luke.

Luke's nerves are frayed badly from the lack of sleep and all the worrying but he manages to control his temper realizing Daisy is only letting out her own frustrations and he's the target at the moment. Trying to hug her she pulls away briefly but then allows him to wrap her in a tight embrace

"Daisy I'm sorry believe me this is not something I wanted to keep to myself but before Bo passed out he was so upset and I still didn't know what was going on completely and I just thought it was better to keep it to myself till I found out a few things first."

Looking really ashamed of himself he glances at Uncle Jesses his eyes asking for forgiveness

"I'm sorry Uncle Jesse I swear I ain't never kept nothin like this from ya before and I ain't never gonna do it again."

Uncle Jesse is still too upset to forgive and forget just yet but reaches over squeezing Luke's knee comfortingly

"I believe ya Luke BUT that don't mean I aint still mad at ya."

Luke nods he can't blame them one bit for being upset with him.

Luke's nerves are frayed badly from the lack of sleep and all the worrying but he manages to control his temper realizing Daisy is only letting out her own frustrations and he's the target at the moment. Trying to hug her she pulls away briefly but then allows him to wrap her in a tight embrace

"Daisy I'm sorry believe me this is not something I wanted to keep to myself but before Bo passed out he was so upset and I still didn't know what was going on completely and I just thought it was better to keep it to myself till I found out a few things first."

Looking really ashamed of himself he glances at Uncle Jesses his eyes asking for forgiveness

"I'm sorry Uncle Jesse I swear I ain't never kept nothin like this from ya before and I ain't never gonna do it again."

Uncle Jesse is still too upset to forgive and forget just yet but reaches over squeezing Luke's knee comfortingly

"I believe ya Luke BUT that don't mean I aint still mad at ya."

Luke nods he can't blame them one bit for being upset with him.

B.L. puts an arm around Uncle Jesse and he around her as they watch the two cousins trying to comfort and protect each other. Luke gives a soft chuckle as he holds Daisy smoothing her hair

"S'alright Dais what are cousin's for if ya can't yell at 'em once in a while just cos ya feel like it,besides I ain't been no prince charming to be around the last day or so myself."

Daisy smiled tearfully and looked up at Luke.

"Ya got that right. Look at ya, you's look like a racoon with them big ol dark circles under yer eyes. Come on now Luke, the least you could do is try and get some sleep."

She hugged him tighter round his waist, the worry for her older cousin now filling her eyes as well as fresh tears.

"PLease Luke....having one cousin so badly ill in here is bad enough....I don't think I could cope with two..."

Luke tilts Daisy's face up with a finger under her chin then wiping away her tears he tries to think of a way to make her understand why he hasn't slept it wouldn't do any good to even try. sighing

"Daisy I can't sleep even if I tried it wouldn't do no good, I promise as soon as things get a little more settled down I'll try and get some sleep but that's all I can do is promise to try AFTER things settle down with Bo."

B.L. shakes her head at Luke's stubborness as she hears Uncle Jesse sigh Luke isn't listening to any of them.

With a sob Daisy pulled sharply away from Luke, crossing over to sit by the window, soon joined by Uncle Jesse who had sighed and followed her, throwing a look to Luke that plainly said 'We're gonna have a long talk later.'

Luke sighed and leant back in his seat, rubbing his hands over his face before standing up and walking out of the waiting room and outside the hospital, heading towards the calming gardens so he could compose himself and focus on what needed to be done next. Bo still wouldn't be able to talk for a few days yet, but he needed to get to the bottom of this.

Why had Bo lied about hitting his head? Why had he lied about going to the dcotor? He had even lied to Uncle Jesse, which was something you just neevr did if you knew what was good for you. Luke knew that it had to be something pretty serious for him to risk getting a damn good switching.

Frustrated, he put his head in his hands and growled.

"It don't make no sense!"

Uncle Jesse sighs again staring out the window taking Daisy's hand in his,he just doesn't know what to do he knows exactly what the boys deserve and that's a good switching but on the other side he guesses he can see their reasoning for their actions. He just wishes he knew all the details but it's going to be days before Bo will even be able to talk so they're still playing the waiting game.

B.L. looks between Daisy and Uncle Jesse and the exit where Luke disappeared trying to decide who needs her more finally deciding on Luke she quickly leaves the hospital spotting Luke she quickly catches up with him and steers him to a nearby bench sitting down the two of them facing each other as B.L. gives him a penetrating stare that is almost like she's looking into his soul.

"Ok Lucas I can be just as stubborn as you now you can either you talk to me and tell me what's wrong then get yourself some sleep when they have Bo moved or so help me I'm going to hogtie you and have the doctors drug you again. You look worse than death warmed over right now and that's not helping Uncle Jesse and Daisy worrying about you getting sick too and it's not going to help Bo get better."

Uncle Jesse sighs again staring out the window taking Daisy's hand in his,he just doesn't know what to do he knows exactly what the boys deserve and that's a good switching but on the other side he guesses he can see their reasoning for their actions. He just wishes he knew all the details but it's going to be days before Bo will even be able to talk so they're still playing the waiting game.

B.L. looks between Daisy and Uncle Jesse and the exit where Luke disappeared trying to decide who needs her more finally deciding on Luke she quickly leaves the hospital spotting Luke she quickly catches up with him and steers him to a nearby bench sitting down the two of them facing each other as B.L. gives him a penetrating stare that is almost like she's looking into his soul.

"Ok Lucas I can be just as stubborn as you now you can either you talk to me and tell me what's wrong then get yourself some sleep when they have Bo moved or so help me I'm going to hogtie you and have the doctors drug you again. You look worse than death warmed over right now and that's not helping Uncle Jesse and Daisy worrying about you getting sick too and it's not going to help Bo get better."

Luke glared at B.L, why was everyone so fixated on getting him to sleep?Didn't they all see what had happened the last time he had let himself fall into that comforting darkness?

He had been jerked awake to find Bo practically choking to death because he was deeply submerged in a nightmare that had Luke been awake and paying attention, Luke could have recognised earlier on and gotten Bo awake and calm again before the nightmare got too serious.

But as it was, he didn't and now Bo was going to stay mute for longer than he should have been. And then there was the whole issue with him not recognizing the early signs that Bo was upset and troubled. He had known the signs since Bo was a little kid, and had always managed to catch whatever it was that was bothering his younger cousin before Bo could dwell on the problem too much because exactly this was what would happen if he had done.

He put his head back on his hands as B.L glared determindly back at him. He hated the doctor for have tricking him like that, but at the time he didn't have the heart nor the will to be angry at him for doing it. He was too worried about Bo, he was and is so worried for Bo that at that moment nothing else in the whole world mattered.

"I just can't B.L, I can't..."

B.L. doesn't even flinch at Luke's glare just contiues giving one of her own but the minute he drops his head into his hands not even willing to fight she knows he's truly worried and scared to death,still not giving up though on winning this battle for Luke's health as well as the rest of the family's she puts a comforting hand on the back of his neck massaging the tense muscles there and in his shoulders and says quietly but still very determined

"Luke you HAVE to,it's not going to help Bo one iota and besides the ventilator is gone now so he won't be choking on it anymore. There going to move Bo right? When they get him settled why don't you take the time to rest then Daisy,Uncle Jesse and me will watch out for Bo. You have my word I won't move an inch from his side till you rested."

Luke could feel his fraying nerves snap, and before he realised what he was doing, he was on his feet, sharply pushing B.L's soothing hands away and turning to her, standing over her, eyes blazing with a worry filled and frustrated fury.

"For god sake why don't you understand?! I CAN'T SLEEP! No matter how hard I try, no matter how many times I count sheep or count the damn ceiling tiles, I just can't! I love Bo! He is my baby brother and seeing him like he was at the lake and then hooked up to that ventilator is all that I see everytime my eyes close!"

Tears were running down his cheeks, all the pent up emotion he had while he was trying to be strong for Daisy and Uncle Jesse finally crashing from behind the walls that he had built against them.

"He's my baby brother, I should have been able to protect him! I should have seen all this happening but I didn't! I was too wrapped up in my own life that I didn't see him at all! All i ever did was snap and yell at him, no wonder he couldn't come and talk to me!"

He angrily kicked an empty glass bottle across the road, where it connected with the wall with a smash.

B.L. just looks at Luke for a minute after he pushes her away before standing toe to toe with him her eyes flashing with determination Luke has to see sense he's slowly driving himself crazy and it's not his fault that any of this happened if only B.L. could get him to see that. Gently she wipes at the tears

"Luke NONE of this is your fault we all get wrapped up in ourselves at times. Bo doesn't blame you he's a big boy now if he went this long without telling you then nothing you could have said or done would have made him tell anyway. You may be his 'big brother' but that doesn't mean he's always going to tell you all his problems I sure as heck don't tell L.B. all mine not because I don't trust him or whatever but because I'm not a kid anymore and I try to work things out first and it's the same with Bo I'm betting. You've got to stop blaming yourself you aren't superman your human just like everybody else."

Wrapping her arms around his waist chin resting on his chest B.L. looks up at Luke with a sympathetic look

Your killing yourself trying to be strong and take care of Bo and Uncle Jesse and Daisy well news flash Lucas you can't do it all alone and keep things bottled up inside of you like this if you could then we wouldnt be standing here like this now so just let it out yell whatever I don't care I can take it."

winks with an impish grin trying to lighten the mood just a little

"But if you hit me I'm hitting back"

Luke sighed, rubbing his hands over his face, trying to stop the gentle ache that had once occupied his head turning into a full blown pound. He breathed in deep as B.L wrapped his arms around his waist and closed his eyes, trying to compose himself, chuckling slightly.

"B.L i'd never hit ya.....Look I know that I ain't no superhero, but me and Bo's been close every since we was knee high to grass hoppers and...I can't stand the thought that he was keeping somethin' this serious from me....I know he ain't a little kid anymore, but he still knows he can tell me anythin' even if he don't want my help...."

B.L. reguards Luke with the impish grin still on her face and the twinkle in her eye trying her best to get Luke to calm down enough to relax and even be playful all the stress and worry isn't going to solve anything.

"I knew ya wouldn't hit me,for two reasons;one Uncle Jesse'd wear you out and two; you can't hit the broad side of a barn with your hat today."

Stepping back a little B.L. gently pushes Luke down on the bench then going around behind him she starts to massage the kinks from his stiff muscles.

"I know you and Bo are close and tell each other everything,shoot everybody around does;there has to be a reason he didn't tell ya and probably a dang good one it just might be he was protecting YOU this time."

Leaning over Luke's head to present him with a comical upside down view of her face B.L. smiling innocently but the mischief still written clearly there

"Try yelling at Bo when this is all over and he's home again, HE'S the one didn't tell you his problems not the rest of us." winks "or you could yell at him now he can't walk away he's hooked to the bed by wires and tubes,he can't yell at ya to leave him alone cos he ain't 'llowed to talk."

Luke had to laugh at B.L's attempts to get him to relax. He knew when he was thinking rationally that the worry and stress he held at the moment was going to serve no other purprose than making him ill and Bo even more upset if he knew how badly this had affected Luke.

He gently reached up and lightly slapped her cheeks, grinning slightly as she jerked away, then turned around and started to tickle her playfully. After a minute or two, he calmed down and got thinking again.

"The thing is B.L, if this is something so serious Bo couldn't tell me before, he still aint gonna be able to tell me for a few days. What I need to do is find out more before Bo can tell me so I can tell him what I found out on my own and then he'd have no choice but to tell me the rest. I want to get a look at that wound on his temple....see how he could have done that..."

Gasping shocked at the light slaps,Luke's faster than she thought today,B.L. shrieks and giggles as he tickles her then plopping down on the bench next to Luke when he lets go she's still smiling but there's a serious look in her eyes now patting Luke on the knee

"well the only way to find out what's going on before Bo gets the chance to tell or not tell is to snoop around and find out. SOoo let's round up a posse and see what we can find out. If need be Uncle Jesse can handle things here at the hospital for a few hours but if you'd still rather stay here me 'n Cooter will poke around town in Hazzard see what we can come up with and let ya know."

"Speakin of that cousin of yours I think I'll go check on him,you comin' or do ya need a few minutes alone to come up with a plan of action,to uncover Bo's secret?"

Luke thought for a moment, before rising to his feet and wrapping one arm around B.L's shoulders.

"If you and Cooter go poke around town with Daisy and see what you can find, i'll stay here with Bo and see if I can't get some sort of explanation for him. He may not be able to talk but there's still pencil and paper. The best place to go would be the Boar's Nest, Daisy usually finds most of Boss' underhand schemes there."

He smiled at her and started to walk back towards the hospital doors with her.

"Thanks for this B.L....I guess I ain't been acting geat since all this started...you know, I bet in the end it'll turn out that some girl's told Bo she wants to marry him."

B.L. wraps an arm around Luke's waist falling into step beside him

"You got it we'll get to the bottom of this thing. Ya think we can I can drag Daisy away from here? She's 'bout as stubborn as you!"

At the thought all this could be because a girl wants to marry Bo, B.L.

starts to scowl the expression getting worse by the minute

"If all this is cos of some girl I'm gonna clobber BOTH her and Bo"

As they enter the hospital again and head for the waiting room, Daisy and Uncle Jesse can still be seen at the window. Uncle Jesse turning at their approach B.L. grins slightly to let him know things are going to be ok; winking with a bit of teasing in her voice unable to resist making Luke think of his bad attitude recently

"Look I went outside and found the real Luke hiding on that bench in the garden that was just his bad tempered twin walking around here biting eveyrbody's head off. Have ya heard anything else on Bo while we was gone?"

Uncle Jesse smiles glad to see at least some of the tension gone from Luke's posture he's looking less like a man going to the gallows

"No we ain't heard nothin yet but i spect we will pretty soon now"

Luke laughed and swatted B.L over the back of her head lightly.

"Alright alright I get it, I was hot headed and bein' a complete jackass, now ya happy?"

He walked carefully over to Daisy and wrapped his arms around her middle, looking out the window with her.

"Daisy....I'm real sorry fer how I acted...I wanna make it up ta ya."

Daisy turned in Luke's hold to look up at him with tear shimmering eyes.

"How?"

Luke smiled and gently wiped away the tears that were threatening to fall.

"Well, and you can hear this too Uncle Jesse, we need to get down to what happened to Bo pretty quick before Bo can talk, so that we can confront him with enough evidence that he has no choice but to tell us what happened. I'm gonna stay here and take a look at the wound on his head from where he said he hit his head on the General, see what could have really done it."

Daisy nodded, her sprirts starting to lift as she saw the old Luke was really coming back, the one with all the plans and the positive attitude.

"Alright, now B.L is gonna go back to Hazzard and team up with Cooter ta see what she can find back there. Daisy, what I want you to do, but you dont have to if you'd rather stay here, is to go back to work at the Boar's Nest and see if ya can overhear anythin'. Uncle Jesse, its up ta you what ya do. I ain't even gonna try and tell ya what you should."

Daisy had to laugh at that, not knowing whether or not Uncle Jesse was in the mood to accept the joke. She didn't want to leave Bo here, but she knew with Luke by his side, Bo would be safe and by going back with B.L at least she could help out in a better way than sitting here moping and praying for him to be alright.

"Alright Luke, i'll go with B.L and Cooter and see what I can find."

Luke smiled and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"Thanks Daisy darlin', and I am real sorry for how I's been acting."

"That's alright Suagr, just promise me you'll get some sleep at some point."

Luke nodded gently.

"I promise."