Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

B.L. wraps her arms briefly around Luke's neck a sing sob escaping "Oh Luke..."then sniffing hard B.L. settles herself next to Daisy the two of them clinging to each other's hand.

Uncle Jesse gets in the driver's seat after one last look at Bo and seeing that Luke is settled beside his youngest cousin. Starting the pickup Uncle Jesse pulls out of the yard and onto the road headed for Tri County hospital.

"We'll be there before ya know it" said as he reaches over to pat Daisy's hand gently.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daisy nodded, squeezing B.Ls hand softly for more support, gradually bringing herself back together. She reached over for the CB and radioed ahead to Tri County Hospital to let them know they were on their way. After a while she half turned to look out the back window onto her two cousins.

Luke was cradaling Bo's head gently in his lap, smoothing the golden curls like he used to do for a 12 year old Bo during bouts of flu or colds. He had never minded staying up with his cousin during those nights because he never wanted Bo to feel alone, never wanted him to suffer alone. He had promised him before he had gone away to the Marines, that despite the distance between them, he would always be close by as long as Bo kept him in his heart.

And now, as he looked over his youngest cousin for about the 100th time, he found that that promise could never be truer. Although Bo had drifted from Luke's company and strong friendship they had, the love that they held for each other was as strong as ever, and Luke would never ever let that go, no matter what Bp said or did, that love would never be lost.

"You listen here Bo Duke and you listen good. You can't leave me like this cousin. When we get to that hospital I want you to fight like you never fought before. I need you here with me lil' cousin, I don't know what I'd do if I lost ya....please Bo....please fight for me..."

Uncle Jesse is keeping to himself lost in his own thoughts. He was remembering the times Bo had colds or the flu. It had been Luke that gave most of the care despite how much he Jesse tried to convince Luke he needed to carry on as normal it wasn't his job to take on the sole responsibility for Bo's care but it never worked so he just let Luke do as much as he wanted watching to make sure he didn't fall sick too.

Wiping away a tear unnoticed Jesse remembered another time when Bo was deathly sick. He had been delerious with a high fever during a bout of pneumonia and wanted Luke who was away in the Marines desperately. He didn't recall the drive to tricounty being this long but put it upto the situation making the trip seem longer.

These thoughts inevetibly making Jesse think of other times when Luke and Daisy had been sick as well and some of their worse cases; smiling he recalled the time all three had the chickenpox at the same time,they had been the worst three patients he'd ever experienced.

To Luke and Daisy, it felt like a lifetime before they finally reached Tri County Emergancy Hospital. Before Daisy, B.L and Uncles Jesse had even gotton out of the truck, Luke was over the side of the bed and helping the on standby medical team that was waiting for them load Bo quickly onto a gurney, explaining all that had been going on and his symptoms.

The team took off, striding quickly down the corridors, all shouting things to one another that neither Luke nor Daisy understood. The Dukes were trying to keep up as best they could, reluctant to let their youngest out of their site. However, as the procession reached a set of swinging double doors, several nurses stepped in front of the group, blocking their way.

"We're sorry but no one excpet staff are allowed in the treatment room. If you'd take a seat, someone should be with you soon."

Daisy nodded, hugging Jesse, while Luke also nodded, murmmering his thanks before crossing over to the waiting room window and sitting gently on the windowsill, leaning his head against the cool glass.

Uncle Jesse hugs Daisy and pats Luke on the back as they turn to find seats.

"Bo'll be ok now baby,he can get the help he needs." he tells Daisy as they sit waiting for word,putting an arm around her shoulders. Praying silently that he's right,not at all sure this time with Bo being so sick and having been out so long.

B.L. hugs Uncle Jesse from behind as she passes going over close to where Luke is sitting in the window. Not wanting to intrude on Luke's private thoughts at least not at the moment figuring he needs some time to himself.

Folding her hands,elbows on knees B.L. sits in silent prayer,eyes closed the effort to breath getting hard through her clogged nose and worry.

"Please God let Bo come through this,his friends and family need him." This being B.L.'s silent prayer over and over.

After another hour of waiting, Luke finally pulled himself away from the window to look over Jesse and Daisy, who had both managed to fall asleep, and then to B.L. He couldn't really tell if she was awake or not as her face was covered by her hands.

Sighing he stood up and stretched his cramped muscles, unable to sleep through the worry and fear for Bo. It hurt him to think of Bo so ill over something that he couldn't tell Luke about, and he could see from the reactions he got at the lake that Bo was so deeply hurt and scared by that same fact.

But what could have happened to Bo to make him end up like this? Luke paced the room as he raked his thoughts, trying to think back to when this had all started...

Hearing Luke pace around the room B.L. raises her head looking over at Daisy and Uncle Jesse sleeping soundly in their chairs. Rising to join Luke B.L. quickly crosses the room to his side laying a hand on his arm.

"Luke your gonna wear a hole in the floor." smiling trying to lighten the mood.

"C'mon lets take a short walk outside you need a break and some sleep wouldn't hurt neither you're drained."

Luke jerked a little when B.L's hand found its way softly onto his arm, but he sighed and chuckles slightly with her as she commented on the brisk pacing he had been doing of the waiting room. But it wasn't too long before his face fell back into the serious, downcast expression it had been wearing and he leant against the wall, looking down at his feet.

"I can't sleep B.L, not when Bo is like this. I never have been able ta..."

He looked up at the cieling, smiling fondly.

"When he was younger and used ta get ill, I would never leave his side, not for nothin'. Uncle Jesse used to try and make me but, I just couldn't do it. I need ta know he's safe....like I always promise him he will be."

Smiling B.L. squeezes Luke's arm,

"I know your worried and scared so's Uncle Jesse and Daisy. But Luke be sensible it's not going to do anybody least of all Bo if you make yourself sick worrying about him."

Sighing when Luke doesn't show any inclination of resting she leans against the wall beside Luke.

"Well if you won't rest how about some company in worrying, we can lean on each other for support I can't ever recall seeing Bo so pale or still and even if I ain't blood kin I'm just as scared for him as ya'll are. Whatever or whoever has done this to Bo I want to help you teach em a lesson."

B.L. falls silent realizing she's just chattering due to nerves.

Luke sighed as he listened, knowing there wa truth behind what she was saying. If he did carry on with no sleep, then it could very well be him that ended up here next. But he just couldn't bring himself to do it, not when Bo was lying only a few feet away with a team of doctors and nurses surrounding him, trying to make him well again.

As he conintued to listen, he heard his own worries reflected in B.L's words and voice. He gently wrapped an arm around her shoulder, comfortingly, and spoke.

"Bo ain't never been that still, not even when he was asleep and ill. He always used to toss and turn...I dont ever remember seein' him that pale neither. Whatever or whoever has got to him is eatin' him up...I just wish he could tell me about it so I can get it straightened out."

Luke sighs frustratedly, pushing himself off the wall.

"That's just the point. I don't know if Bo is ever goin' to be ready to talk about it! He is so scared over somethin' and it's got him so hett up he can't even tell me somethin' without lookin' over his shoulder! He's never been like this with me, never. If I pleaded with him to tell me somethin', usually he'd tell me in a heartbeat, but now....I don't know what's happened to him to change him like this. I wanna know why it is hes so afraid of talking!"

Sighing "I wish it was somethin he hadn't told ya'll but me I'd tell in a hearbeat right now if I knew."

B.L. slides down the wall slightly stretching her legs more out in front of her and crossing her arms hugging herself.

"You don't have even so much as a hint as to what this could be about?"

Stomach rumbling L.B. remembers she hasn't ate since breakfast,she and Daisy were going to eat lunch out.

"Hey when's the last time you ate? You must be getting hungry"

He shook his head gently.

"S'alright, I ain't hungry. Right now I get the feelin' i'll just throw it all back up later on if I did eat somethin'...."

His voice suddenly trailed off as he recalled Bo throwing up at the lake, and then snapped his fingers, a look fo realisation dawning over his face.

"B.L....that's it! It's gotta be! When I found Bo at the lake, I found a bug on the back of his belt, ya know the listening devices! I bet ya that has somethin' to do with Bo bein' all hett up."

Nodding at Luke's statement about eating,B.L. herself isn't sure eating is a good idea. Snapping her head up at Luke's next statement she pushes away from the wall to throw herself at Luke excitedly wrapping her arms around his neck. Saying a little too loudly

"That has to have something to do with all this Luke it just has too"

Covering her mouth B.L. blushes as she glances toward Uncle Jesse to see if she woke them.

Smiling slightly, he stumbled as B.L threw herself at him, yelling loudly in his ear. He grinned as she turned to the two sleeping people in the chairs sheepishly, before giving her a small squeeze and a shhh gesture. He whispered.

"Listen, don't tell those two about this yet. I wanna get it confirmed though Bo first before we get their hopes up."

She nods agreement readily.

"sorry....I promise not a word. I wished they'd come give us some news on Bo."

Uncle Jesse shifts slightly in his chair but the worry has exhausted him so til he doesn't wake up.

"How about we take a walk or something maybe get some fresh air."

She isn't hopeful that Luke will go for the suggestion not wanting to get too far in case there's news on Bo and she can defenitely understand this.

Luke shook his head, knowing that B.L already knew the answer before she asked the question so he didn't need to explain why. He just couldn't help but feel like as soon as he stepped out that door, they would come bursting in with some update on Bo and he'd miss it, something he definatly didnt want to miss.

"No....and thanks for agreein' not to tell them. I hate lyin' to Jesse but...I don't want him worryin' anymore than he is now..."

Suddenly, Luke jerked as the door to the room opened and he looked hurridly over to it to see a nurse peeking round the door.

"Urm....are you all here for a Beaureguard Duke?"

He quickly strode over and shook Daisy and Jesse, stumbling over his reply.

"Yes, yes we are. How is he, he's gonna be ok right?"

Daisy stirred quickly from her sleep as she heard Luke's voice ring concerned through the room and felt his rough shake on her shoulder. She opened her eyes to find a nurse standing in the doorway and was instantly to her feet, helping Jesse up too and wrapping a firm arm around his and Luke's waist.

The nurse entered the room fully and closed the door before turning towards the group, with a grim smile on her face.

"Alright....we have to tell you that Beaureguard is in critical condition. He has numerous signals of dehydration and starvation. Now this lack of nutrients has led to a failing of his nervous system which lowered his immunity against common infections. As a result, he has picked up a severe chest infection and the flu, which has affected his breathing and made him considerably weak."

Luke rubbed a hand slowly over his face before folding his arms in front of him, feeling Daisy's arm slip away and hearing her biting back tears.

"Well....well is he gonna be alright? I mean we got him here...."

The nurse sighed.

"Only time will tell. We've moved him up to the Intensive Care Unit so we can monitor him. We are concerned that he hasn't regained conciousness yet, and we've had to insert a breathing tube to keep his breathing stable while he is unconcious or he is at risk of chocking."

Luke felt as though someone had grabbed his heart and pulled it into his throat. He squeezed his eyes shut and pinched the bridge of his nose before shakily replying.

"Can....can we see him?"

"Of course you can. It'll have to be one at a time though, there are too many machines and important equipment in there for lots of people."

B.L. nods understanding of Luke's reasons for not leaving the room.

"Your welcome....Yeah well you just keep yourself healthy so he doesn't have anything else to worry about."

B.L. jumps as Luke jerks when the door opens quickly following him to where Daisy and Uncle Jesse are still sleeping but soon awakened by the nurse voice and Luke's shake.

Jesse listens to the nurse his heart nearly missing a beat at the news that Bo is so ill and unresponsive still.

"Thank you kindly ma'am"

The nurse nods acknowledgement of the thanks.

Uncle Jesse steps in front of his remaining kids and wraps them both in a hug feeling Daisy shake in his arms.

Stepping up to her friends B.L. hugs them all willing herself not to cry there's time for that later when she's at home or something.

"Ya'll go on your family, I'll hang here and maybe call Cooter let him know what's up."

Luke pulled away from Jesse's embrace and wrapped B.L in a hug, rubbing her arm as he pulled away.

"Thanks B.L...listen...."

While DAisy and Jesse were talking he quickly pulled her to one side.

"I want you to go to Doc Appleby and see if Bo really went to him earlier this week, somethin' tells me that Bo didn't hit his head doin' a jump."

"Sure thing Luke, I'll just call Cooter to pick me up here and drop me off back at the farm to get 'red fury' then I'll get right on it and see you tomorrow when I come to check on Bo."

Kissing Luke on the cheek and giving him one final hug.

grinning "Now you go tell Bo I said wakeup or I am gonna kick his butt all over Hazzard County."

Then walking back to Daisy and Uncle Jesse she hugs Jesse and kisses his cheek as well and he does the same.

"I'm gonna just call Cooter to come pick me up Uncle Jesse, I'll see ya'll tomorrow when I come to check on Bo."

Jesse nods "Alright dear and thankyou for all you've done today" stepping away Jesse gets ready to go find his youngest nephew.

Then taking Daisy in a fierce hug patting her friend's back. "Try not to worry ok and call me if there's anything I can do for ya'll or if you just need a shoulder to cry on I'll be here quicker'n you can say Possum on a gumbush."

Daisy nodded, smiling tearfully but gratefully at her friend.

"Thank you so much B.L, we'll let you know how Bo is as soon as we know."

The nurse stepped back into the roo, having gone out earlier to check whether it was ok to let Bo have visitors.

"Y'all can come and see him now."

The Dukes all waved a final goodbye to B.L, before following the nurse quietly down the hallways and up to the Intensive Care Unit. She led them to a small room down the very end, gesturing to the door.

"Now I want you to remember that every machine and drip Beaureguard is hooked up to is for his own benifit. They are helping him to recover quicker. I'll leave you in private, but please respect the one at a time rule."

With that she gave a silent nod and walked back down the corridor to the Nurse's station.

For a minute or so, no one moved, everyone unsure as to who should go first. EVentually Uncle Jesse walked in, staying in there a while before coming back out, shaking his head. Daisy tried next while Luke tried to comfort his Uncle and steel himself up for what he was about to see. Eventually DAisy came back out, crying silently and fell into her Uncle's waiting arms.

With an indrawn breath, Luke steadily made his way into the room.

B.L. finds the payphone and calls Cooter to come get her quickly explaining as best she can how ill Bo is. Waiting about 25 minutes,Cooter pulls up in front of the hospital and they are headed back for the Duke farm as B.L. explains in greater detail about Bo's condition as much as she knows leaving out the information about the bug being on Bo's belt not sure if Luke would want her to tell even Cooter.

Luke takes an unsteady breath and walks into the tiny room with all it's machines humming and whirring despite his trying to prepare himself for what he'd see the sight is still another bad shock and Luke's resolve not to cry crumbles as silent tears streak his face. Sitting next to the bed Luke takes one of Bo's hands in his own.

"Beaureguard Duke you wake up you hear me. C'mon Bo wakeup please Bo."

Trying the sharp tone that pulled Bo from the clutches of unconscienceness at the lake.

"Bo if you don't wake up and git your chores done Uncle Jesse's gonna whup ya good."

When this fails to arouse Bo, Luke remembers what B.L. said before they parted company.

Chuckles humorlessly "Bo B.L. told me to tell ya if you didn't wakeup she was gonna kick your butt all over Hazzard County and you know she'll do it too."

When nothing works Luke just sits and talks quietly to Bo for a while before a nurse comes and tells him his visiting time is up for now. Nodding he gives Bo's hand one final squeeze before joining Uncle Jesse and Daisy in the small waitingroom.

Throughout his family's speeches, Bo reamined still and lifeless, his chest rising up and down in time with the the suck-hisses of the vetilator the breathing tube that ran down his throat was attatched to.

Two to three drips were hanging by his bed, their tubes and needles sticking out from Bo's cold, still arm along with the wires that monitored every heardbeat, every breath and every movement that littered his body that still shone with a thin sheen of sweat.

Luke shook his head in reply at the expectant looks on Jesse and Daisy's faces as he sat down heavily in a chair next to Daisy. Leaning forward bracing his elbows on his knees Luke scrubbed his hands over his face. It was going to be a long wait till the next round of visiting hours and an even longer night.

Cooter had dropped B.L. off at the Duke farm to get her car,reminding her to call if she heard anything or there was anyway he could help their friends. Reassuring that she would they agreed to meet back there the next morning and do the bare necessity of chores before B.L. headed out to spend the day at the hospital and Cooter reluctantly the garage but planning to go to the hospital as soon as he closed up shop.

Getting in her car B.L. drove to town and straight to Doc Appleby's office to talk with him about Bo's supposed visit earlier. Reaching the waiting room relieved to not see any others waiting she asked.

"Doc can I talk to ya for a sec it's about Bo Duke"

Doc replies "Well sure Brandy Lou but honey I cain't give out patient information it's against the oath I took as a doctor."

Nodding understanding "I know Doc see Bo's real sick in Tri County but nobody really knows why he got sick so suddenly. He told Luke he'd been to see you this week somethin about bumpin his head doing a jump."

Doc frowns "No I ain't seen Bo nor Luke as patients in quite a spell now,got any idea why Bo'd tell Luke such a thing when he hadn't really been here?"

B.L. shakes her head she's pretty sure Luke doesn't want the whole bug thing to get out she says "No idea Doc Bo ain't the easiest puzzle in the world to figure out. Thanks for the info Doc I'll be seein ya."

Doc nods returning the friendly wave of the young girl wondering how Jesse hasn't gone bald all these years raising those nephews and niece and their antics.

B.L. gets in her car heading home hoping what she has to tell Luke will help solve this mystery in some way but knowing the only true way to solve it is get Bo well and talk to him.