Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daisy sighed and pulled herself gently from his embrace.

"No...I better ring her or she wont be able to sleep with worry. I'll be right back."

Daisy sneaked a look into Bo's room as she passed, sighing as she saw Luke was still not asleep. She slipped a few coins into the payphone and dialled B.L's number, hoping that she wasn't going to be too mad for her leaving the update this late.

B.L. was sitting trying to read but not hearing anything about Bo in almost 24 hours wasn't helping her concentration any. When the phone rang she jumped slightly tossing the book in her chair as she leaped across the room to grab the phone on the second ring.

"Hello, Daisy how's Bo?"

the question was out of her mouth before Daisy got much chance to even say hello.

Daisy laughed despite herself as B.L answered the phone in a rush.

"Hey to you too B.L, sorry I left this so late, its just we's all been so worried..."

She held back the quiver that was threatining to show in her voice.

"Bo's awake but he's still in real bad shape. He's got a bad chest infection and the flu which doesn't help none. His breathin's so bad that they's got him on a ventilator...the breathing tube hurts him to bad B.L but they cant take it out..."

At the news that Bo has woken up B.L. gives a shrill squeal of excitement but then bringing herself back under control does her best to sound encouraging after hearing all the other problems plauging Bo at the moment

"It'll be ok Daisy, Bo's tough he's a Duke remember and Duke's don't give up he proved that by just waking up again."

Wanting badly to see Bo but figuring there's no way knowing visiting hours are probably over B.L. asks "Do ya want me to come back to the hospital now so we can talk or would morning be better? I was planning on coming first thing tomorrow anyway."

DAisy smiled at her friend's willingness to jump to the family's wishes if they needed it.

"No its alright B.L, There wouldn't be much point. me and Uncle Jesse are beat so we're probably just gonna get some shut eye, and Luke's been given full visitng privaliges. I'm real worried about him too....he ain't slept willingly since we brought Bo in, we had to get the doctors to drug him in the end."

B.L. is so relieved Bo is going to be ok but concerned with Luke's stubborness asks half playfully and half seroiusly also concerned to still hear the worry not just for one cousin but both now in Daisy's voice

"Want me to bring a rope tomorrow and help ya hog tie Luke?"

continues still in the same tone but with a little thougtfullness now giggling

"he won't have no choice but to sleep then."

For all her silliness at the moment B.L. too is worried Luke will only make himself sick and that will worry his family even more. She just doesn't know how to solve things. Then what Daisy said about having the Dr. drug him she comments bemused knowing the Duke temper and Luke no doubt wasn't a happy about it when he realized what they had done.

"you had him drugged? Bet he was real happy over that when he woke up."

Looking at the clock B.L. tells Daisy

"You go get some sleep hun and I'll see ya tomorrow,between the two of us we'll get Luke to take a nap for a few hours. Tell Uncle Jesse I said see him tomorrow too and that I'll keep prayin for Bo. Bye now"

Daisy laughed at her friend's comments about tieing Luke up. She couldn't say she hadn't thought of doing that herself and practically force the sleeping pills down his throat again, knowing that now Luke was wise to the trick he wouldn't fall for it twice....well maybe if he was really exhausted but she didn't want it to get that far.

"Luke didn't really take much notice to the fact he'd been drugged, it surprised me. The first thing he asked about when he woke back up was if Bo was alright and then he asked us if we was in cohoots with the Doctor to put him to sleep. As soon as we changed the subject back to Bo though he dropped it and said no more."

She giggled slightly, finding it odd to here orders to sleep from her best friend, but she complied, saying a quick thankyou and goodbye before returning to Uncle Jesser, informing him of B.L's plans to visit tomorrow and saying a quick prayer for Bo with him before curling back up next to him in the seat and drifitng off into sleep.

B.L. frowns,worried about Luke now too it just isn't like him to let something like being drugged pass by without more of a indignant complaint. Saying as much to Daisy

"Boy that sure don't sound like the Luke I know"

B.L. hangs up the phone with a giggle as she pictures her suggestion for getting Luke to get some sleep,knowing if they even tried it he'd throw a fit. Looking at the discarded book then the clock she decides to just go on to bed there's no way she could concentrate on what she was reading anyway,even with knowing Bo is on the mend. So heading to bed so that she can meet Cooter as planned early to do the Duke chores then head onto the hospital B.L. says a quick prayer for Bo and the rest of the Dukes then crawling into bed drifts off almost as soon as her head hits the pillow the worry lessened enough to get some real rest tonight.

Uncle Jesse nods as Daisy tells him of B.L.'s plans to visit,then after their prayer for Bo wraps his arm protectively around Daisy saying another silent prayer for Luke to be able to relax his worries and fears enough to rest soon before he ends up in the hospital alongside Bo. Then settling in the uncomfortable chair as best he can Jesse too is soon sleeping.

We're gonna get your family boy. One by one we're gonna get them....we'll start with your Uncle...then that pretty little cousin of yours before hitting the dark one. We're gonna make your life a misery Duke.

"No please....please leave them....

"No way, we told you this was gonna happen. You squealed on us, now your family's gonna pay."

Bo couldn't move as the gun was drawn and pointed at his family members that were sat, tied against the wall. He watched as each person's eyes widened in fright and their breating's quickened. Bo wanted nothing more than to run forward as the gun cocked in front of Luke. He screamed out as the gun shot rang out and his best friend, his older brother slumped against the wall, blood dripping from the wound on his chest.

Bo tossed and turned as his nightmare took hold, his screams and mumbles making him choke on the breathing tube.

Luke having dozed off jerks awake at the sound of Bo's choking and thrashing seeing Bo is asleep and apparently in the middle of a nightmare Luke shakes his shoulders

"Bo wakeup Bo c'mon it's just a dream wakeup"

When Bo doesn't wake up Luke lightly taps his cheeks to wake him,mentally berating himself for falling asleep and determined it won't happen again,no matter what anyone says he won't sleep until he gets to the bottom of all this.

"Bo,hey it's Luke c'mon buddy open your eyes"

Bo's sudden movement and panic scares the life out of Luke,but keeping his head he takes Bo by the shoulders shaking him just a bit to get his full attention.

"Bo listen to me calm down you have got to relax or this thing's gonna choke ya to death just lay back and relax and I'll get somebody in here.

Pushing the call button above the bed calling frantically for a nurse and soon one rushes in seeing Bo's distress goes to give him a sedative stopped by Luke who has a ferocious look that means he isn't messing with them he wants action now.

"No get the doctor I want this thing out of my cousin now"

The nurse exits the room glad that the doctor is on call for the night so it isn't hard to get hold of him and he's soon at the ICU in Bo's room a worried frown appears on his face as he see's Bo so distressed afraid he'll hurt himself the doctor tells the nurse to give him something to relax him enough that the ventilator can be removed it's obvious Bo doesn't need it now.

"Beaureguard if you'll just calm down we'll remove the ventilator but you've got to relax. This is going to hurt but only for a while."

The nurse gives Bo the sedetive and they watch as the sedative slowly takes affect.

Luke asks worriedly

"Don't he need that to breathe?"

The doctor shakes his head no

"I think he can make it just fine with an oxygen mask now Mr. Duke"

Luke nods trusting the doctor knows what he's doing as they watch Bo

Bo hears all the people talking to him and around him but all it succeds in doing is panicking him more. His mind was still racing with the nightmare, still unable to tell what was reality and what was his dream.

He can hear someone telling him to calm down, but as the feeling in his body lessens and he finds he cant move he panics further, recalling the feeling all too well from his dream

Luke is near ready to panic himself nothing is getting through to Bo he just seems to be getting more and more aggitated. Looking at the Dr Luke's fearful eyes ask silently what to do. The doctor isn't sure what will bring Bo from his panic but tells Luke

"Get your Uncle in here maybe he can get through to him,he's got to calm down before the ventilator can be removed or we'll have to knock him out completely to do it without causing any damage."

Luke nods and practically runs from the room to get Uncle Jesse. Startled as Luke shakes him awake Jesse sits up more afraid than he's been in a long time when he see's the look in Luke's eyes.

"Luke what's wrong is Bo ok"

Luke shakes his head trying to get his breathing under control

"No....he had a....nightmare...and panicked the doctor's going to remove the ventilator if we can get Bo calm so it doesn't cause any damage or he'll have to knock him out to do it."

Jesse nods following Luke back to Bo's room going straight to him and murmuring softly in Bo's ear

"Shhh Uncle Jesse's here Bo, it's alright your in the hospital just take it easy,now you got to let the doctor here take this thing out so's you quit choking but he can't do that till ya calm down."

As he heard Uncle Jesse's voice whispering lovingly in his ear, Bo seemed to calm a little. But he had to tell him about Luke, if Uncle Jesse could get to Luke then he could be saved.

He tried to fight the thing that was lodged painfull in his throat to get the words out, he needed Uncle Jesse to understand. If he didn't he would lose Luke forever

The doctor looked over to the nurse and instructed

"Give him something to knock him out he's going to choke to death if we don't get that ventilator out and soon."

"Yes doctor"

and with that the nurse left the room returning a minute later with a syringe and injected it directly into the line stll feeding the patient fluids. Within two minutes Bo was knocked out cold. The doctor looked up at the family

"If you'll all step outside I'll call you when we're done here"

Nodding Jesse takes a reluctant Luke by the arm half steering and half dragging him from the room as Luke keeps looking over his shoulder back at Bo.

"C'mon Luke let's let the doctor do his job"

Waiting outside in the hall both Uncle Jesse and Luke are pacing,awaiting permission to go back into the room with Bo.

After about ten minutes the doctor exits Bo's room seeing both men pacing in the hall.

"Ok you can go back in now,he's still asleep but when he wakes up don't let him talk although I imagine he'd soon find out it's a bad idea. His throat is going to be extremely painful for a few days at least he no doubt irritated it even more than is normal with just the tubing when he was struggling against it."

Uncle Jesse and Luke both nod shaking the doctor's hand but not staying around to hear more Luke hurries to be back with Bo taking his limp hand. It still takes his breath everytime he sees the pale figure with the black circles under his eyes. Sitting down beside Bo Luke vows not to sleep the rest of the night in case Bo needs him.

Uncle Jesse and the doctor discuss Bo's condition and where things will go now.

"He's still very weak Mr. Duke but I have confidence he'll bounce back before you know it. Beaureguard's a strong otherwise healthly young man he's just let himself get run down is all so he should be fine as soon as his strength is built back up."

Jesse nods solemnly still very worried about Bo

"Thanks doc,your right Bo is a strong young man he'll be ok with the good lord's help and his family with him."

With that Jesse goes to join his nephews as the doctor goes to another patient.

"Everything ok in here Luke?"

"Yeah he'll probably sleep the rest of the night why don't you go back to the waitingroom and get some more rest we can talk about what happened tomorrow"

"Alright,you come get me if anything else happens ya hear"

"Yes sir"

kissing both boys on the forehead Uncle Jesse leaves goes back to the waiting room

Patting Daisy's hand and giving it a light squeeze Jesse gives a deep sigh

"Everything's alright now baby, Bo got hiself all in a frenzy and was choking on the ventilator again. Luke couldn't get him calmed down so come and got me to see what I could do. I got Bo to settle a little but not enough so's the doc could take the tube out they gave him somthin' to knock him out then removed it. He's sleeping now and will be for a while the Doc says. He'll need to wear an oxygen mask for a while too but other than that things are just fine go back to sleep."

Jesse hugs Daisy then settles himself comfortably pulling her head on his chest stroking her hair like when she was a little girl and would listen to his heartbeat as she fell asleep.

The next morning B.L. was up with the chickens literally,hurrying to make herself some breakfast and eat it,then after cleaning things up she could meet Cooter over at the Duke farm to do what few chores had to be done daily. After about 2 hours she was ready to head over and help with the chores. Arriving at the same time as Cooter, B.L. got out of Red Fury and greeted happily

"Good morning Cooter"

Cooter looked at her curiously something was defenitely going on he could tell from the impish sparkle in her eyes

"Good morning to you too bright eyes,what's got you so chipper this early in the day."

Grinning B.L. decides to mess with Cooter a little as they get to work on the chores. Pursing her lips and biting back a grin she answers

"Nothing special just that Daisy called last night and said Bo was awake."

Cooter stops in his tracks stunned

"Come again"

B.L. laughs at him as she repeats

"Bo's awake is all"

Cooter's eyebrows shoot up almost into his hairline

"Oh that's what I thought you said."

throwing his hat in the air he lets out an excited yell that could wake the dead scaring the chickens that are milling around the yard causing them to squawk and flap their wings in protest to the loud noise. Then unexpectedly Cooter picks B.L. up swinging her around then placing her back down says

"That's great,you tell ol' Bo he'd better hurry up and get well or the single female population of this town's gonna think he flew the coop."

B.L. giggles at the thought of how the afore mentioned ladies would react if they thought Bo'd flown the coop especially with another girl. Finishing the chores hurriedly B.L. and Cooter go their seperate ways,him to the Garage and her toward Tri County hospital. Not more than 10 minutes down the road,B.L. hears a siren and looking in her review mirror sees none other than Sheriff Rosco Coltrane on her tail. Soon the CB crackles to life

"Brandy Lou I order you to pull over you was goin' 67 in a 25 and I'm gonna give ya a ticket."

Picking up her own CB mic B.L. tells him

"Noway Rosco there weren't no sign back there and besides I'm on my way to the hospital to visit Bo so I ain't got time to play."

With that said it isn't long before B.L. has lost the police car when Rosco swerved off the road to miss being hit by a fertilizer truck. Arriving at the hopsital B.L. goes in search of the Dukes in the ICU waiting room. Once getting to her destination she spots Daisy and Uncle Jesse sitting waiting for visiting hours. Hugging Uncle Jesse first and then Daisy

"Hey, I don't guess you know how Bo is yet this morning."

almost forgetting she hands Uncle Jesse a bag

"OH I almost forgot I stopped and got ya'll some breakfast on my way."

Uncle Jesse accepts the bag giving her a kiss on the cheek

"Thank ya hun that was mighty thoughtful, no we don't know how Bo is this morning but he had a bad spell last night."

Instantly worried B.L.'s jaw drops then clamps shut again

"But I thought he was doing some better"

Daisy sighed, standing up and hugging her friend before pulling away.

"He was but according to Uncle Jesse who says according to Luke, Bo had a nightmare and when he woke up he was so badly frightened that he choked on the tube and wouldn't calm down, not even when Uncle Jesse went in to soothe him. They had to knock him out. The good thing is they removed the tube."

The three of them sit down to wait for visiting hours

"Oh no poor Bo a nightmare and he couldn't even tell what it was about with that tube down his throat." B.L.'s face fills with sympathy for the emotions that must have been running through Bo at the time and unable to express them to anyone. Then smiling at the better news

That's good that at least they could take the tube out now."

Uncle Jesse nods at this and tells the girls in his gentle way

"Every dark cloud has a silver lining, they's supposed to put him in a room sometime today too."

B.L. looks at Daisy with a slightly mock accusitory glare hoping wipe away some of the worry on her friends face with the banter.

"You didn't tell me they was putting Bo in a regular room today"