Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

B.L. is a little awed and her heart is warmed at the caring attitudes of the troopers as if they were family, most of them as far as she knows doesn't even know Bo except for the tall grey haired man who'd introduced himself as Alan Dresdon. Knowing now isn't the time to argue with Daisy B.L. just nods and answers

"I'll put somethin in the fridge for ya."

Leans down whispering so the troopers can't hear her now

"Ya gotta promise to eat somethin tho I ain't about to tell Uncle Jesse you didn't he'd skin us both alive."

Uncle Jesse reaches for the cup pouring some of the ice chips in handing them to Bo then to eat as many as he wants this time.

"Well sure ya can"

Luke's face breaks out in a stunned expression as he sticks a finger in his ear as if he's trying to clear it of something that's interfering with his hearing.

"Bo did ya just hear yourself? You's just said a whole sentence without pausin to catch ya breath you ain't been able to do that since before ya passed out."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daisy nodded and whispered back as the troopers all started to talk amoung themselves.

"I will just as soon as we get movin' back to the hospital. "

Bo took the cup gratefully from Uncle Jesse, giving him a smile of thanks before taking a couple out and slipping them into his mouth, sighing with relief as the cold numbed the gentle pain that still throbbed down his throat and wet his dry mouth.

At Luke's statement he frowned and then revised what he had just said, realising that what Luke had said was actually very true. He looked up at Luke with a smile. He never really paused to catch his breath, he would pause because the pain in his throat hurt too much to strong out long sentences without a break. But still he never told them that, they'd only tell him to stop talking, something he didn't want to do. With a mouthful of ice chips he said.

"Yeah....guess so...."

B.L. nods acceptance of this and then lifts herself to sit on the counter since all the chairs are taken, as they listen to the troopers discussion.

Luke gives Bo a scolding look but the effect is lost behind the grin he's still wearing.

"Don't talk with ice in ya mouth you's got more chance of chokin on it than ya normally would."

Cooter returns the smile still seething though at what the crooks had told Bo and gotten him so upset he made himself sick the Dukes is like a surrogate family to him.

"Sounds good ta me Daisy, these guys'll know not to mess with Hazzard folk from now on. If it was me though I'd put 'em under the jail !"

Luke grins at Bo's look then laughs complaining good naturedly.

"Alright alright your forgive just turn off the puppy eyes. Ya know you's ain't been playin fair since ya started feelin better. First ya tricked me into gettin some sleep now ya givin me puppy eyes to make me feel guilty for scoldin ya."

Daisy smiled and nodded.

"You's gonna have ta wait in line fer that Cooter. I know Luke wants ta knock the seven bells outta them, then there's Uncle Jesse, and me and B.L and you and probably most of the girls in Hazzard County once they find out."

She laughed gently.

"Sorry Cooter I don't think there's gonna be a lot left by the time they gets ta ya."

Bo smiled and swallowed as the ice finally melted.

"Yeah but that's only cause....dang it....looks like I's back to...doin' this 'gain....only cause....it were fer yer own good....ya look miles better....now ya got....some sleep...."

Cooter laughs quietly

"Yeah guess your right there's not gonna be much of 'em left if I don't get in the head of the line at least before all them girls find out what's been going on and how Bo's been."

B.L. nods giggling from her perch on the counter

"If I was them goons I'd be beggin ta be put under the jail."

Luke pokes out his bottom lip in a mock pout

"Are ya sayin I didn't look good before? Lotta girls think I'm kinda cute."

before turning serious at Bo's labored breathing

"Ya been doin too much talkin and ya been out of the oxygen tent a long time. Just do like ya been doing to get it back to normal and if that don't help we'll get ya some pure oxygen for a bit but you've done really well without it lot better than any of us thought ya would."

Daisy smiled as Alan came over and gently squeezed her shoulder.

"We're going to be there, right where Bo's telling us. We can't see any danger in him being in the General Lee with Luke, but we'll have a medical crew standing by just in case."

Daisy nodded at Alan gratefull and stood to give the old familt friend a hug.

"Thanks so much Alan."

"Not problem, tell your Uncle Jesse we'll see him tonight and that the whole squad hopes Bo gets better real quick. We's got to get back and start planning."

"Will do, can you meet us back here at 7.00 tonight so we can start moving into positions."

"Will do. Goodbye now. Right everyone move out."

Daisy watched gratefully as the men left and waited until the last state trooper had gone before getting to her feet.

"Right, lets get these clothes to Bo and Luke and see what the doc's verdict is. You gonna come Cooter, or you gonna check over the cars?"

Bo instantly shook his head determindly at Luke's proposition.

"Uh uh, no way....I ain't goin' back under there if I was....near half....dead....I ain't lettin' this...dang infection....get the better of me now. Now will ya move so I's can get back on my feet 'gain?"

B.L. hops off the counter as the troopers start to leave her and Cooter shaking hands with each one as they head to the door.

"I'm gonna stay behind and check over the cars even though I know they's in good condition I want to double check before this all goes down. Hey but tell ol Bo I'll see him tonight. See ya'll later"

As Cooter starts out the backdoor B.L. looks in the fridge pulling out the sandwich she'd put there for Daisy earlier. Placing it in a brown paper bag

"See ya Cooter"

After Cooter has left she cleans up the mess from lunch and then grabbing the paper bag off the table tells Daisy

"I'm ready to go whenever you are."

Luke stares back at Bo just as determined while Uncle Jesse sits in the chair by the window dozing.

"Ok ya may not get back under that tent but ya ain't gonna get back on your feet till that breathin a yours gets more like normal again."

Quickly changing tactics Luke decides maybe persuasion is better than force

"Bo the girls will be back soon and wouldn't it be a nice surprise if they saw ya breathin better insteada gasping cos ya been walkin around too much? I think it'd really help Daisy to feel better especially about you being with me tonight in the General Lee, don't think she's too thrilled with that idea."

Daisy nodded, releived that Cooter was going to do that.

"Thanks Cooter."

She watched him as he walked out the door, wondering what on earth she would have done without him or B.L. She looked over as B.L announced she was ready, and after grabbing a couple of Bo's favourite drinks as a treat in case the doctor said he could have them, she picked up the bag full of clothes and magazines and smiled at B.L.

"Let's go."

She headed out the door and over to red fury, sliding into the passengers seat.

All along Bo had been penting his frustration up, his frustration at his own weakness, stupidity and his guilt for scaring his family like he had done. At Luke's words he stiffened slightly, the muscles in his shoulder's tensing. By the time Luke finished, Bo was trembling, trying to control the sudden outburst....unsuccesfully.

"Well what about me Luke?!....What about....what I feel huh? Or don't....don't that matter no more?....You know what it's like....to sit here....and have everythin' bein' done for ya....even the most...simple o'things....Like breathin'....keepin' yer heart beatin'? I gotta do somethin' on ma own...somethin' ta prove I ain't....just...worthless....weak....stupid...."

B.L. getting in the driver's seat of red fury tosses the paperbag to Daisy the sweet as honey tone replaced by her assertive take charge attitude.

"Eat!! you'll need your strength and the last thing we need is for you to collapse from lack of food."

B.L. pulls out of the driveway heading for the hospital,speeding but no intentions of slowing or stopping for any law enforcement they've got things to do.

Luke is stunned at first when Bo starts his tirade partly at the pent up frustration and anger in the words and partly that Bo has enough air to say so much. Placing a hand over Bo's mouth as he finishes Luke gives Bo a look of understanding.

"Whoah right there cousin.....you aint worthless,or stupid. Ya weak only cos ya sick you's been the strongest person I know through all this and you got every dang right to blow off some steam about the situation. While you've been trying to recover Daisy's been a basket case but only cos she's worried about ya. I've been a total jackass more than once the last few days."

Taking both Bo's hands in one of his own Luke still doesn't uncover Bo's mouth so he can finish what he has to say without Bo interrupting.

"I'm sorry I guess we haven't give ya a chance to tell us how ya feel or maybe it's just cos ya wouldnt so's you wouldn't worry us anymore? But Bo not tellin us exactly what's on your mind is more worrying than ya telling somebody. I'm here to listen if you wanna rant then go for it. You's just like the rest of the Duke's if it was me in your place and being waiting on hand and foot with everybody tellin me no I couldn't so stuff cos of being sick I woulda done blew a fuse long before now. But Bo use ya head don't try to prove you's can do it all we know ya can we're just trying to take care of ya is all so you can go home and then I don't care if you wanna be the worst patient in history

*thinks to himself he hopes Daisy don't find out he said it if Bo does decide to be contrary once home.*

but until you go home just let the rest of us mother hen ya huh? For our piece of mind."

Daisy sighed and rolled her eyes as he took a bite out the sandwich

"There, happy?"

By the end of Luke's speech, Bo's head was hung and his breathing was somewere in the middle of being normal and being painfully thin and raspy.

"I'm...gees I'm sorry Luke....I didn't have no right....ta snap....at ya....I just....I want ta prove....that I can....to myself more....more than anythin...."

B.L. gives Daisy a sideways glance without turning her head from watching the road.

"I'd be happier if you'd eat at least half"

Luke pushes Bo's chin up with one finger to look him in the eye with soft caring eyes of understanding.

"It's ok Bo you got a right to be angry and frustrated heck I would be. You ain't got nothin to prove to nobody not even yourself don't push yourself so hard to act completely healthy just take it one day at a time is all you can do. Keepin all that bottled up inside is just as bad for ya as tryin to do too much too soon so if you wanna snap at somebody then snap at me that's what 'brother's is for.

She smiled at B.L's protectiveness. Whenever Luke was away, it was usually B.L that took his place for her and Bo, although nothing could ever really replace the bond that they all had with Luke, B.L's kind, guiding hand was often useful when Luke wasn't able to give it himself. She was, as Cooter was, almost like a Duke herself.

"I'll try."

Bo nodded, determined not to cry, he had been doing so much of that latley. He swore it was done to something they put in the water of the air or something. Or maybe it was just that Luke was the only one who really understood him, really knew how he was feeling and knew all the right words to say. He wrapped his arms round Luke's neck and nuzzled gently into his shoulder. He didn't know what to do now.

"Tell me....what you....think I should do....Luke....please...."

B.L. nods smiling,glad Daisy is seeing since. Proud to know her friends trust her enough to let her be the voice of reason when the occassion arises.

"That's good enough for me, I just don't want to see either one of my other two friends as sick as Bo from worrying and not taking care of themselves."

Luke wraps strong protective arms around Bo sighin

"I wish it was that easy Bo, I really don't know what to tell ya cos the doctor said ya might get to go home in a few hours but I don't want ya to overdo things and jeopardize your health either. So I guess all I can say is take it easy and don't hesitate to tell me if ya don't feel well."

She nodded, understanding...but that was also one thing she couldn't understand. How had Bo gotten so ill when all he had done was worry and not eat or sleep a lot. Exhaustion yes, malnutrition yes, stress yes but a chest infection that damn well nearly killed him? How could that have happened in the space of a week. She voiced her concerns to B.L as she ate.

Bo nodded and hugged Luke a little tighter before breaking away and smiling slightly.

"Thanks...Luke....when's the doctors...comin' back..."

Daisy pondered this as they pulled into the hospital parking lot, finishing off the sandwich and grabbing the bag of Bo and Luke's things as she slid out the window, making a mental note to ask the doctor's about it later.

"Well, lets go relieve my dear cousin of that hospital gown shall we? I need to find a doctor first though, see if I can give Bo one of these drinks. Thought it might cheer him up a little."

"Sounds like a winning idea to me" *laughs* "bet poor Uncle Jesse needs relieved of his guard duties for a few minutes at least he's been cooped up in that room with them alone all day."

The two girls enter the building,finding the elevator take it to the 3rd floor where Bo's room heading down the hall toward his room. Getting to Bo's door B.L. knocks. Uncle Jesse bids them enter. B.L. smiles widely as she notices Bo not under the tent and the IV line is gone from his hand. Giving all three men a kiss on the cheek

"So how's the patient? Ya look lots better than ya did this morning."

Gives Luke an appraising look with a slight frown then smirking

"You don't look like death warmed over anymore but you's still look like a zombie."

Luke sticks his tounge out at her lightly yanking one of her braids

"Can it Davenport"

Daisy poked her head round the door, smiling hello to Uncle Jesse and waving to Luke and Bo before she ducked back out again and took off down the corridor to find a doctor. She didn't want to worry Bo yet by voicing her concerns about his illness and didn't want to surprise him with the drinks until she got permission from the doctor for him to have them.

She finally caught up with the doctor in charge of Bo's care.

"Urm, excuse me. Can I ask you a couple of things?"

Bo laughed slightly and decided it would be funny to see just how much he could shock B.L. When she turned her back on him to talk with Uncle Jesse, he quickly shot a mischivious glance to Luke and whispered his plan. Swinging his legs off the bed and slowing his breathing to make it as quiet as Luke's, which he had requested Luke do so he could copy, he gingerly walked forward with Luke's support to behind B.L. He wrapped his arms round her waist and whispered in her ear.

"How you....holdin' up....B.L?"

The doctor stops turning to Daisy as she catches up with him.

"Hello Miss Duke, is there something I can help you with?

As Bo's arm snake around her waist and Bo whispers in her ear B.L. almost jumps out of her skin whirling around in Bo's arms a big smile on her face and eys shining happily.

"Flyin frogs Bo Duke ya scared the daylights outta me you's sposed to be to sick to sneak up on people."

Wrapping her arms around Bo's torso propping her chin on his chest to look up into his eyes.

"I'm holdin up just fine. Surprised to see you up"

With a twinkle in her eye B.L. gives Bo a secretive look as if she's got some huge secret. Not wanting to say anything about the drinks until Daisy speaks to the doctor she decides to string him along wondering what the surprise is until Daisy gets back with the bag of clothes.

Luke laughs at B.L.'s startled expression as she turns around to face Bo. He watches the two with amusement having let go of Bo as soon as B.L.'s arms were around him to for support in case he needed it.

Daisy had a serious look on her face, suddenly a little afraid to ask the questions she wanted to incase she didn't like the answers or she made it worse for Bo, but she knew she had to otherwise it would eat away at her.

"Well, I'll start with the easy one first. I brought a couple o'cans of Bo's favourite drink to cheer him up a little, would it be alright if he has them?"

Bo chuckled as B.L whirled in his hold to face him, returning the smile she gave him. She was the first one not to chide him for being up on his feet and not resting. But then he noticed the secretive gleam in her eye and frowned slightly.

"What you's hidin'?"

The doctor ponders the question for a moment then smiles kindly at the worried young woman.

"I don't see why not as long as the cans tops are rinsed thourouly just to cut down on germs. I'll rest your fears Miss Duke even though I'm sure your cousin would rather tell you himself. He's doing remarkably well and I'm either going to release him later this evening depending on how he's doing when I make my rounds and if not tonight tomorrow. Don't be so worried he's going to be fine. Now what else did you have on your mind."

B.L. grins impishly back at Bo saying in a fillipiant tone

"Who says I'm hidin somethin?"

Daisy smiled back at the doctor, nodding thankfully.

"That's great....well the other thing I wanted to know was...well....Bo's chest infection...before this happened he was perfectly healthy. As the week drew on he was sleep deprived and mal nourished because he wasn't eating and he was stressed too it was obvious....but there was never anything else wrong with him. It just seems like this appeared out the blue, and I was wondering if maybe....maybe it had something to do with the guys who got him so worried? Bo mentioned that they drugged him with something or other and he was knocked out for a good time....is it possible that they injected him with something or did something to him to bring this on?"

Bo grinned back at her.

"I know when....you's hidin' something.... cause.... you get the same twinkle... in yer eye as.... I do when... I's hidin' something....come on what is it..."

The doctor nods before explaining.

"It could have brought on by something like that I suppose but more likely it wasn't a drug but a strain of a disease. It's quite possible that he was both drugged and injected with some disease."

B.L. shakes her head no grinning a maddening taunting grin

"I ain't tellin and you cain't make me"

then pretends to zip her lips not intending to tell Bo anything knowing his curiosity is driving him nuts