18 hours ago, B.L. Davenport said:

In the episode Duke of Duke, Jesse tells Bo and Luke that Gaylord is their 3rd cousin then Daisy adds he is "kin on Grandpa Henshaw's side meaning he ain't blood kin" but his last name is Duke. Does anybody have an explanation for this confusing relation explanation?

Sounds like an error to me. If he was a cousin then he would have to be a blood relative I would think. Although I'm not even sure what a third cousin is. Reminds me of the Elvis song, Kissing Cousins...we are all related. 

Here are notes I have written down from that episode BL. 

Grandpa Henshaw was the 3 younger Dukes grandfather. He had a farm near the Duke farm. 

The real Gaylord Duke is a preacher....and his grandfather was Grandpa Henshaw. 

Gaylord has an aunt in England and his uncle Phillip has been dead for ten years. 

Isn't that where the fake Gaylord messed up? Thought Phillip was still alive. The fake was named Roger. The only Roger in 7 years of the show. 

Edited by RogerDuke

2 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Sounds like an error to me. If he was a cousin then he would have to be a blood relative I would think. Although I'm not even sure what a third cousin is.

Your third cousin is a person with whom you share a great-great-grandparent. I think that the only way this could work is if another male with the surname Duke married into the family tree or someone changed their name.

Hoss you are close with your explanation of third cousin, my grandmother was great great grandmother to my first cousin's grandchildren.

This is my thoughts on the relationship, does it make sense to anyone else?

Jesse's wife is Grandpa Henshaw's daughter and had a sister she married a Duke too [likely Jesse's brother], they have a kid. The 3 cousins are most likely more brother's kids [we don't know how many siblings Jesse had but we know there are 3 more cousins with different parents] All of these are first cousins and Grandpa Henshaw is all their Grandpa. Jesse's wife's sister's kid has a kid and is Bo, Luke and Daisy's 2nd cousin and then 2nd cousin's kid is their 3rd cousin and that cousin gets married making their spouse a 3rd cousin but not blood kin because they are related by marriage.