Cancel Culture

Skipper Duke

18 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Mom's a fan of Western series and movies. She watches reruns Gunsmoke, Bonanza etc. I told her "Better enjoy while you can, before political Correctness gets them taken off the air. For some stupid reason, they'll claim for making fun of the Indians or something."

If it was going to happen it would have happened already. As long as Baby Boomers keep watching channels like MeTV will keep airing them. 

Yes some of those shows portrayed Native Americans as ruthless savages which they were/are not. In fact the American government and army committed some atrocities against the Native Americans. 

38 minutes ago, Spike said:

If it was going to happen it would have happened already. As long as Baby Boomers keep watching channels like MeTV will keep airing them. 

Yes some of those shows portrayed Native Americans as ruthless savages which they were/are not. In fact the American government and army committed some atrocities against the Native Americans. 

Cousin Spike really? The government did that? 

On 4/29/2024 at 7:20 PM, Spike said:

The vast majority of the world was pretty savage in the old days. Even SOME Native Americans were savage. Lake Erie was named after the Eriez Indians but none of them are left because the Iroquois Indians killed them all. And Chief Seattle has a city named after him but he wiped out other tribes and kept the survivors as slaves. He still has a statue standing to honor him in Seattle.....which is odd since slave owner statues were supposed to be tore down....and the people hollering the loudest to tear down the ones in the South are from the west coast where some slave owners are loved.

Edit: I almost changed my mind and deleted this post but I guess I will let it stand even though I'm not comfortable saying it. I just want history to be accurate even though it is not always pretty. The molding of America had many extremes, good and bad. Yes, much of it was ugly but human nature often is and this ugliness existed all around the world. I hope there are no hard feelings Spike. You are correct though. Indigenous peoples were treated badly and still are in certain ways. 

Edited by RogerDuke

7 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

The vast majority of the world was pretty savage in the old days. Even SOME Native Americans were savage. Lake Erie was named after the Eriez Indians but none of them are left because the Iroquois Indians killed them all. And Chief Seattle has a city named after him but he wiped out other tribes and kept the survivors as slaves. He still has a statue standing to honor him in Seattle.....which is odd since slave owner statues were supposed to be tore down....and the people hollering the loudest to tear down the ones in the South are from the west coast where some slave owners are loved.

Edit: I almost changed my mind and deleted this post but I guess I will let it stand even though I'm not comfortable saying it. I just want history to be accurate even though it is not always pretty. The molding of America had many extremes, good and bad. Yes, much of it was ugly but human nature often is and this ugliness existed all around the world. I hope there are no hard feelings Spike. You are correct though. Indigenous peoples were treated badly and still are in certain ways. 

Oh yeah there were some brutal tribes that had no sanctity of life. Heck there are some tribes in other countries that are cannibalistic still. There's a reason some tribes are still isolated or haven't been "found" because people know not to go to certain places in the jungles. 

On 4/29/2024 at 6:20 PM, Spike said:

There IS NO SUCH THING AS NATIVE AMERICANS! The North American continent has no indigenous personnel!! ( and no  " They " weren't here first! )

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

17 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

There IS NO SUCH THING AS NATIVE AMERICANS! The North American continent has no indigenous personnel!! ( and no  " They " weren't here first! )

Their ancestors migrated to North and South America thousands of years before European settlers came here so I'd say they were here first. 

Quote from Wikipedia...""The 2021 findings of fossilized human footprints in relict lake sediments near White Sands National Park in present-day New Mexico suggest a human presence there dating back to the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM), between 18,000 and 26,000 years ago.""

21 minutes ago, Spike said:

Their ancestors migrated to North and South America thousands of years before European settlers came here so I'd say they were here first. 

Quote from Wikipedia...""The 2021 findings of fossilized human footprints in relict lake sediments near White Sands National Park in present-day New Mexico suggest a human presence there dating back to the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM), between 18,000 and 26,000 years ago.""

Wikipedia is far from being a reliable, vetted source! They were here before the mass of Europeans but the first explorers and settlers were Europeans,  who  pre-dated the Asians ( NOT Indians) by thousands of years. They've found ancient European runes as far over as Colorado  One of my minors was Sociology and the other Anthropology, so this stuff is right down my ally. Columbus.....being the dumba## that he was, thought he had landed in India and called them Indians. They were Asians!  They crossed over the Bearing Strait about 1200 yrs. before Columbus got here but like I said, that was still several thousand yrs. after the white man had come here. Be careful not to put too much weight on the crap you see/hear in the mass media, which is all owned/controlled by the same people! The very people who try to convince you that the war between the states was about slavery, Confederates were/are racists etc. 

I agree Roger :tup: 

And Hobie let's just agree to disagree...

If others wish to find out more on the history of the America's there's plenty of reputable and vetted sources on the Internet, including Wikipedia, and in local library's. 

Edited by Spike

And Hobie let's just agree to disagree.....I've heard this phrase before...what the &^*% does it mean?? If we disagree and we agree to it, we're still disagreeing. If we disagree and don't agree to disagree.....then guess what??.....WE STILL DISAGREE!

You can't count Wikepedia as a vetted reliable sourse. I could post on there about a new mathematical formula I've discovered that makes life a lot easier for people. I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT MATH!! Wikipediae doesn't  screen anybody!! Learn something from a reliable source,  e.g. a book written by a professor with 20 yrs. experience , etc. and that's one thing. " Learn " ( notice the quotes ! ) something that I wrote about a new world changing mathematical formula, I posted and you're placing your trust in a bunch of B.S. !

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

1 hour ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

I'm still lost......

You asked what the phrase meant and then you answered your own question. In the first sentence (after you asked the question) you said "...we agree to it...". In the next sentence you stated the obvious that we are still disagreeing. What we should be agreeing to is de-escalation.