R. M. S. Titanic might claim more lives

Skipper Duke

3 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

The sub imploded!  I STILL don't know how or why!

They were trying to dive 3,810m (12,500ft) beneath the ocean in a submersible that the owners didn't bother get certified (many say it would've failed) because there was a queue of people willing to spend $250,000 each to do so. Carbon fiber and titanium are strong materials, but the pressure at that depth is enormous. It's estimated that the sub imploded at a depth of 3,500 metres (11,483ft) - that's still over two miles straight down!

:previous:

From bbc.com/news:

What happens in an implosion?

When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500mph (2,414km/h) - that's 2,200ft (671m) per second, says Dave Corley, a former US nuclear submarine officer.

The time required for complete collapse is about one millisecond, or one thousandth of a second.

A human brain responds instinctually to a stimulus at about 25 milliseconds, Mr Corley says. Human rational response - from sensing to acting - is believed to be at best 150 milliseconds.

The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapours.

When the hull collapses, the air auto-ignites and an explosion follows the initial rapid implosion, Mr Corley says.

Human bodies incinerate and are turned to ash and dust instantly.

On 6/23/2023 at 7:25 PM, Hobie Hartkins said:

So in other words they didn't realize what was about to happen and they didn't know it when it DID happen! A pretty merciful way to go!

I would guess that would be right. I haven't heard anything about whether or not they had sensors to warn them a collapse was inevitable.....probably not. I hope they didn't. My wife is upset with Facebook. She said there are a lot of people on it who are making fun of them for various reasons. There is likely justifiable criticism for ignoring safety concerns but no death is funny. 

2 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I would guess that would be right. I haven't heard anything about whether or not they had sensors to warn them a collapse was inevitable.....probably not. I hope they didn't. My wife is upset with Facebook. She said there are a lot of people on it who are making fun of them for various reasons. There is likely justifiable criticism for ignoring safety concerns but no death is funny. 

Dukefan on here is on Facebook doing it. Calling it a cover up etc saying "Do people not see there's more to this sub story? It's a cover up like Princess Diana. There's more going on with it than they're saying."

15 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Dukefan on here is on Facebook doing it. Calling it a cover up etc saying "Do people not see there's more to this sub story? It's a cover up like Princess Diana. There's more going on with it than they're saying."

Every news story seems to come with a conspiracy theory but that's not the same thing as making fun of the people who died though. Speaking of Princess Diana, I think I just watched an ep with a portrait of her in front of the Hazzard Post Office. If memory serves me right, James Best painted it. 

On 6/25/2023 at 3:05 AM, RogerDuke said:

My wife is upset with Facebook. She said there are a lot of people on it who are making fun of them for various reasons.

Is your wife new to Facebook/the internet? I was seeing jokes about the sub almost from the moment it went missing, and I don't even do Facebook. You might not like it, but it's hardly unexpected.

10 hours ago, HossC said:

Is your wife new to Facebook/the internet? I was seeing jokes about the sub almost from the moment it went missing, and I don't even do Facebook. You might not like it, but it's hardly unexpected.

No she's not new to it but she must have thought that the level of cruelty in the jokes was exceptional or she wouldn't have mentioned it. 

This is a very sad story indeed..

Somehow I can imagine people still take risks to go down to Titanic. I myself would like to see Titanic for reel aswell if money wasn't the issue.

I really hate it that it went this way for those people. I also hope mankind can build a safe sub that can stand the enormous pressure down there.

I have a thought. Why don't they offer virtual reality tours of the Titanic wreck site? Give people special 3D glasses to get the feeling of actually being down there. Program a robot vehicle with under water cameras to go down there, to take pictures and videos and have it set up to send it back up here for people on the ship to see? Safer that way. Send unmanned subs. Now days there's technology to do a virtual reality type tour.