Jerry Reed The Snowman

BoDuke80

Fellow Hazzardites, Y'all Remember Jerry Reed from Smokey and The Bandit ?He was something else, not only a great country singer and musician but also a writer and actor. He was awesome in Smokey and the Bandit, a crazy Good ol' boy it's a shame he never appeared on The Dukes Of Hazzard. He would have made a fine addition to the cast or as one of Boss's speed trap victims. I wish I could have met him. We Miss ya snowman.

Oh man, he woulda been a great Speed Trap victim! ROFL Even better woulda been a scene showing Enos catching him (as a reference to the scene in Smokey and the Bandit, as it was Sonny Shoryer who was the motorcycle cop that pulled Snowman over. Khee!)

MaryAnne i was just thinkin of that scene, but imagine it in the Dukes

Enos: hello there Mr *looks in the car* Possum On A Gumbush, the Sheriff aint gonna beleive this!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry

• 9 months later...
Guest SleepysRose

Yes we will ALL miss "The Snowman" as we called him in the Trucker world. And when I say all I mean all of the truckers whose lives he touched one way or another. My Uncle whose handle my own is in memory of got to talk to him over the radio one time driving through TN. He was trying to find someone to talk to till he could reach his stopping point so he would stay awake and goood ole Snowman came over the radio to talk to him. Later on my Uncle ran into him at a Truck stop when Snowman was filling up with gas in his own car and my Uncle was getting some for his truck. He thanked him for helping keep him awake that night and Jerry was glad he could help.

Throughout my lifetime of meeting other truckers as I traveled by Bus when they would go to the next point or back to the Home base that they were stationed at I have heard alot of good memories/Stories about Snowman from the "veteran" truckers out there. Alot of them have had good things to say about him. Even after he passed away they still have nothing but good things to say about him as well. Snowman will be dearly missed by us all. Not only in the "Trucker's and CB world" but also in the Country music, TV/Movie world and more by us all.

As far as MaryAnne's remark about Sonny being the motorcycle cop. Let me correct you on that term there MaryAnne ;) Sonny was an "Evil Keneval" as they call those Motorcyle cops out there in the Trucker world and exactly how "Snowman" put it too in the movie. :) So hope that bit of info there helps.

The first Smokey and the Bandit is my all time favorite movies - Jerry Reed was awesome as the Snowman! Have to say one of my favorite scenes in the movie was right after those punks beat him up at the truck stop when he climbed into his truck and ran over their motorcycles. Don't know why, always thought that was great! LOL.

Guest SleepysRose

LOL That's because it what us Truckers call "Sweet Revenge" because you don't go messing with someone who has a rig alot bigger than your's or you might not have your's to ride afterwards as my Uncles always put it. :rofl:

The first Smokey and the Bandit is my all time favorite movies - Jerry Reed was awesome as the Snowman! Have to say one of my favorite scenes in the movie was right after those punks beat him up at the truck stop when he climbed into his truck and ran over their motorcycles. Don't know why, always thought that was great! LOL.

• 2 months later...
Oh man, he woulda been a great Speed Trap victim! ROFL Even better woulda been a scene showing Enos catching him (as a reference to the scene in Smokey and the Bandit, as it was Sonny Shoryer who was the motorcycle cop that pulled Snowman over. Khee!)

Agreed, but I'd like to have seen Rosco and Flash pull over The Snowman and Fred.

I've known for a while that John was in SATB - I think he mentions it on one of the DVD extras - but never managed to spot him. Now I know which scene to look in I'll dig the DVD out and watch it again (after I get to the end of DoH season 4 - it'll give me time to prepare for Coy and Vance:)).

Are there any screen grabs of his appearance on this site? - I'm fairly new here, and ploughing through the threads as quickly as I can.

Couldn't wait - it's been bugging me that I couldn't find John ever since I found out he was in SATB (Ben and Sonny are a lot easier to spot). Got home, found DVD, then searched this forum and found MaryAnne had posted some screenshots from SATB a few years ago, but sadly they're not there anymore. So I had to resort to Google which took me to CGLFC's website for the answer. These are grabs off my DVD which is from the region 2 Pursuit Pack. Despite the guy in the white shirt looking like Bo, John is apparently the guy in the dark shirt with the black cowboy hat on (thanks for the pointers dukefan1, I'm sure you knew that already).

That's another of life's great mysteries solved - I think I need a lie down now:).

post-6129-143050811852_thumb.jpg

post-6129-143050811863_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
do you guys know that john had a very small part in smokey and the bandit at the very end when the sherriff drives away and his tire falls off the tire almost hits john and you can really tell its him by the way he moves

I have never been able to spot him but have heard that he was in SATB, I remember him saying it was him and a friend of his.

THANKS FOR THE SCREENGRABS HOSS!

Can't wait to try to spot him in the movie next time its on! It is the first one right?

Couldn't wait - it's been bugging me that I couldn't find John ever since I found out he was in SATB (Ben and Sonny are a lot easier to spot). Got home, found DVD, then searched this forum and found MaryAnne had posted some screenshots from SATB a few years ago, but sadly they're not there anymore. So I had to resort to Google which took me to CGLFC's website for the answer. These are grabs off my DVD which is from the region 2 Pursuit Pack. Despite the guy in the white shirt looking like Bo, John is apparently the guy in the dark shirt with the black cowboy hat on (thanks for the pointers dukefan1, I'm sure you knew that already).

That's another of life's great mysteries solved - I think I need a lie down now:).

I read about Sonny, but where was Ben?

I read about Sonny, but where was Ben?

Ben is right near the beginning (just over four minutes in). When Big and Little Enos arrive at the Truck Roadeo they ask him where they can find Bandit (Little Enos even calls him Hoss :)). He wasn't credited in the movie, and IMDb just calls him 'Trucker with the redhead'.

SATB_Ben.jpg

Sonny's performance is also uncredited. IMDb refer to him simply as 'Motorcycle Cop'. As Snowman would say, "That's Mr. Evel Knievel. He snuck in my back door when I wasn't lookin'."

SATB_Sonny.jpg

Ben is right near the beginning (just over four minutes in). When Big and Little Enos arrive at the Truck Roadeo they ask him where they can find Bandit (Little Enos even calls him Hoss :)). He wasn't credited in the movie, and IMDb just calls him 'Trucker with the redhead'.

SATB_Ben.jpg

Sonny's performance is also uncredited. IMDb refer to him simply as 'Motorcycle Cop'. As Snowman would say, "That's Mr. Evel Knievel. He snuck in my back door when I wasn't lookin'."

SATB_Sonny.jpg

Thanks Hoss! :D I can't believe I never noticed that was Ben. It's been along time since I've seen SATB, now I'm dying to watch it again!

Hoss...now see if you post a screen cap John Schneider. That woulld complete the Dukes cast in SATB...

There's actually a couple on the first page of this thread, but I uploaded them as attachments before I set up a Photobucket account. You don't get a close-up; from what I can find, he's supposed to be the guy with the hat (second from the right). So that non-members can see the picture, here it is:

SATB_John.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I download the SATB truck that Snowman was in for Farming Simulator 2013 and use it on every savegame. The person that made it added a feature so when you pressed a certain key, it would play a song from the movie. Unfortunately, it doesn't play "Eastbound and Down" but it plays a song that I think is called "Keep the Hammer Down" or something like that. I have no idea whether that is the actual name of the song or not but that's my best guess.

Jerry (Hubbard- real last name)  Reed didn't live that far from me when I was in Franklin Tn. He used to live in Brentwood ( Same county, different town). He called one of the country radio stations in Nashville, when he was real big and Smokey and the Bandit first came out and told the DJ, that he would give him an interview, if he wanted. The DJ laughed at him and didn't believe that it was really him, no matter how hard Jerry tried to convince him. The next day, when the DJ got to work, the manager of the station met him in the lobby and told him,  " The next time somebody calls this station, claiming to be Jerry Reed, you need to believe him!"  LOL!! :)

Edited by Hobie Harkins