Gilligan's Island(1964-1967)

Skipper Duke

A guy I'm friends with on Facebook sent me a picture from Season 3 Ring Around Gilligan. He captioned it "See how stupid they are?! They build a car instead of building a boat to get off the island!" I countered that with "They did build a Raft in the very first episode and set sail to find help! But it did not work, sharks came and ate it. It fell apart." If that guy would not pick on and make fun of the show, and would ACTUALLY watch it, he would know they tried building boats to leave numerous times in multiple episodes!

I'm sad y'all. I wanted to be friends with Judith Baldwin(Ginger Grant)of 2 of the 3 Reunion TV movies. Rescue From Gilligan's Island(1978)and The Castaways On Gilligan's Island(1979). My Facebook friend Peter Petrucci had her on his account. He said "She's a nice lady." She left Facebook because she didn't like how the site censors its users. But... On a happy note, I am now friends with the former Mr. American Patrol Co.(Mr. Raymond S. Meldrum) on his regular Facebook account.

Edited by Skipper Duke
Forgot to include about Ray's personal Facebook account.

I found out why Pakistan sellers have better prices on Skipper and Mr Howell hats than here in USA does. Over there, the hats Caps are Cotton Twill material. Over here they're Wool. To me $78.29 I paid is just as good a hat cap as $249 $359 $400 etc etc.

More expensive material here in USA so prices are thru the roof here.

59 years ago today, September 26, 1964, Gilligan's Island premiered. Itis an American sitcom created and produced by Sherwood Schwartz. The show's ensemble cast features Bob Denver, Alan Hale Jr., Jim Backus, Natalie Schafer, Tina Louise, Russell Johnson and Dawn Wells. It aired for three seasons on the CBS network from September 26, 1964, to April 17, 1967. The series follows the comic adventures of seven castaways as they try to survive on an island where they are shipwrecked. Most episodes revolve around the dissimilar castaways' conflicts and their unsuccessful attempts to escape their plight, with Gilligan usually being responsible for the failures.[1]

Gilligan's Island ran for 98 episodes. All 36 episodes of the first season were filmed in black and white and were later colorized for syndication. The show's second and third seasons (62 episodes) and the three television film sequels (aired between 1978 and 1982) were filmed in color.

The show received solid ratings during its original run, then grew in popularity during decades of syndication, especially in the 1970s and 1980s when many markets ran the show in the late afternoon. Today, the title character of Gilligan is recognized as an American cultural icon.

Feeling sad. A Gilligan's Island fan on Facebook has announced in Facebook Gilligan's Island group forum that he has to sell his collection to pay some bills. He's selling replicas of the Skipper's hat, the Skipper's shirt, Gilligan's hat, Gilligan's shirt, a Peckard Bell radio replica, and ceramic coconut cups. I wish I could buy his collection because it would get a good home.

Had an argument with a guy on Facebook last night in a Gilligan's Island group forum page over there, he kept insisting "Alan Hale Jr.'s Yacht Captain Skipper Hats Caps were dark Navy Blue." I kept insisting "No they were Black always Black. Never Blue." He blocked me. Some people can't handle the truth or being corrected. Lol. Plus I got it straight from the former owner of Lancaster Uniform Cap Co. They told me "It's never been dark Blue. It's always been Black. We've made the same hat for other shows and movies too."

But I can see how these sources get mixed up thinking it's blue.  I have 2 that are blue that show up black in the Skipper tribute scene pictures I make. The 2 hats that do this are my Navy Blue Fun World and my Navy Blue modified Lancaster. Both show up Black even though they're blue. The light on the set sometimes made his black hats take on a blue look.

The  Gilligan's Island radio was actually NOT a prop. It was a working  radio...Packard Bell model AR-851 table-top AM radio...previously  purchased by show creator Sherwood Schwartz to listen to Dodger games in his office. Schwartz didn't like the black radio used in the  pilot...thought the white radio would show better. (He had the prop department add the handle and antenna for effect). When the show wrapped  after the 3rd season, Schwartz took the now iconic TV prop back to his  office, plugged it back in, and continued to listen to Dodger games on it for decades....

• 2 weeks later...

(Season 1 Home Sweet Hut)

Skipper:"Gilligan, will you watch what you're doing! We've gotta have this hut finished by tonight, there's a storm brewing out there someplace!" Gilligan:"Oh?" Skipper:"Doh! Thanks a lot Gilligan, this is the only dry shirt I had left!" Gilligan:"Sorry Skipper. Are we gonna move in here tonight?" Skipper:"That's what the plan is, we'll have to work until we drop! Now get that water in the barrel." Gilligan:"Aye aye sir!" Skipper:"Doop! Gilligan, will you put that water in there while I go get some more palm fronds?!"

Edited by Skipper Duke

Gilligan's Island Fun Fact: Did you know that in the Season 1 episode Big Man on a Little Stick, Dawn Wells(Mary Ann)and Tina Louise(Ginger)kept messing up their lines on purpose during meeting Denny Scott Miller(Duke Williams), so that they could keep seeing him flex his muscles, until Alan Hale Jr.(Skipper)caught on and gave the girls a look that ended it.