2013 NASCAR race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

We haven't seen the sun here in northwestern Pennsylvania since Wednesday afternoon. The Poconos are in eastern Pennsylvania though. In fact, I'm so far from the Poconos the NASCAR race in Michigan is closer to me.

Well Roger...make it stop raining! After the long week I have been having, I NEED a race to watch on Sunday! Not only that but Jeff Gordon is to shine his new paint scheme and sponsor on Sunday...Axalta Coating Systems...which was Dupont Performance Systems. Talking of which I am SUPER EXCITED to announce that not only does Gordon have a new sponsor in Axalta, but he has just signed a THREE year contract with them! Meaning we have at least THREE MORE YEARS with Jeff Gordon behind the wheel of the number twenty-four car. Bet y'all can't guess who's excited...now can you? ;)

Jeff Gordon signs with Axalta through 2016!

Closer to Michigan, Roger? Well then...you'll be interested to find out that, that is Jeff Gordon's favorite race track. Michigan. :D But yeah...you really need to hide all that nasty rain and turn on some sunshine for the race on Sunday. It can rain all that it wants to starting Monday....

As Garrett said, this week it's the Party in the Poconos 400. The race is at 1:00 PM ET on Sunday. Garrett also mentioned that the qualifying had been washed out, so the starting lineup is based on current points:

1 Jimmie Johnson

2 Carl Edwards

3 Clint Bowyer

4 Matt Kenseth

5 Kevin Harvick

6 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

7 Kasey Kahne

8 Kyle Busch

9 Paul Menard

10 Brad Keselowski

11 Jeff Gordon

12 Aric Almirola

13 Greg Biffle

14 Mark Martin

15 Martin Truex Jr.

16 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

17 Denny Hamlin

18 AJ Allmendinger

19 Tony Stewart

20 Kurt Busch

21 Joey Logano

22 Jamey McMurray

23 Ryan Newman

24 Jeff Burton

25 Juan Pablo Montoya

26 Marcos Ambrose

27 Casey Mears

28 David Ragan

29 Bobby Labonte

30 Danica Patrick

31 David Gilliland

32 Dave Blaney

33 David Stremme

34 David Reutimann

35 JJ Yeley

36 Josh Wise

37 Landon Cassill

38 Timmy Hill

39 Travis Kvapil

40 Joe Nemechek

41 Michael McDowell

42 Jason Leffler

43 Scott Riggs

While I was looking for the lineup, I came across this interesting article:

Ranking the 10 Greatest Mustaches in NASCAR History

Garrett, can you guess which driver this quote is about?:

"Long before [he] began to turn gray, long before he briefly sported a goatee and a shaved head, long before he began to look like a young(er) Jeff Foxworthy, he was just a kid in his early 20s with a terrible mustache."

As Garrett said, this week it's the Party in the Poconos 400. The race is at 1:00 PM ET on Sunday. Garrett also mentioned that the qualifying had been washed out, so the starting lineup is based on current points:

1 Jimmie Johnson

2 Carl Edwards

3 Clint Bowyer

4 Matt Kenseth

5 Kevin Harvick

6 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

7 Kasey Kahne

8 Kyle Busch

9 Paul Menard

10 Brad Keselowski

11 Jeff Gordon

12 Aric Almirola

13 Greg Biffle

14 Mark Martin

15 Martin Truex Jr.

16 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

17 Denny Hamlin

18 AJ Allmendinger

19 Tony Stewart

20 Kurt Busch

21 Joey Logano

22 Jamey McMurray

23 Ryan Newman

24 Jeff Burton

25 Juan Pablo Montoya

26 Marcos Ambrose

27 Casey Mears

28 David Ragan

29 Bobby Labonte

30 Danica Patrick

31 David Gilliland

32 Dave Blaney

33 David Stremme

34 David Reutimann

35 JJ Yeley

36 Josh Wise

37 Landon Cassill

38 Timmy Hill

39 Travis Kvapil

40 Joe Nemechek

41 Michael McDowell

42 Jason Leffler

43 Scott Riggs

While I was looking for the lineup, I came across this interesting article:

Ranking the 10 Greatest Mustaches in NASCAR History

Garrett, can you guess which driver this quote is about?:

"Long before [he] began to turn gray, long before he briefly sported a goatee and a shaved head, long before he began to look like a young(er) Jeff Foxworthy, he was just a kid in his early 20s with a terrible mustache."

Well Hoss thanks for covering for my laziness. ;)

I would guess Jeff Gordon but I don't recall him ever shaving his head or having a goatee...just the mustache. Todd Bodine? Though I don't see him looking like Jeff Foxworthy...

Hey Garrett, do you think that if I got a new paint scheme for my computer it would help me in fantasy NASCAR?

Since I'm in last place I figure it couldn't hurt.

Does it have flames with the number 24 on it? Then it might...:lol:

I saw you were there and do feel bad for you, but please don't give up. Think a lot of it has to do with luck...you can go by all the stats and who is best at that track and what not and yet have the driver wreck or someone to wreck him or have something go wrong with his car. Like last week they predicted that Kenseth would do good. I picked him and he had engine problems. A guy at work that is playing was doing good like you in the beginning and has fallen a few places as well...then again, he doesn't watch NASCAR or didn't think of NASCAR before he joined. So hang in there...am sure you can rebound higher than this. After all, look at where I am at in your fantasy baseball league...horrible! LOL

Just a reminder that the race is on TNT for a few races, starting today. Opening ceremonies are under way and the boys are about to climb into their cars...and the sun is OUT. Well for now...hoping they get the entire race in today!

As I said, I prefer the races on FOX...but one thing that is great that comes with NASCAR on TNT and ESPN...is Race Buddy. Where you can follow certain drivers on the computer. Listen to their in car conversations. Talk to other fans. Here is the address: Race Buddy

Pocono race has just ended on TNT...once again, the first half of the race was very uneventful and only cautions being for debris and for oil on the track. Know I said I prefer FOX before, but today only reinforced my feelings as we saw more commercials than racing on TNT...well at least the race is on TV. ;)

Darrell Waltrip often says that cautions breed cautions and they proved his point during the end of the race as there was several cautions right after each other after Juan Pablo Montoya had wrecked Matt Kenseth. Then Keselwoski and Stewart almost spun out but saved it.

End of story...Jimmie Johnson led from the pole, led the most laps, and won his third race of the season. Maximum points for the 48 team today. Figured after the whole ordeal last week where he was leading at Dover before getting black flagged and finished seventeenth, that he would come back with a great finish to prove himself.

Final results:[/B]

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Greg Biffle

3. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

4. Tony Stewart

5 Ryan Newman

6 Kyle Busch

7 Kurt Busch

8 Denny Hamlin

9 Kevin Harvick

10 Joey Logano

11 Jeff Burton

12 Jeff Gordon

13 Jamie McMurray

14 Juan Pablo Montoya

15 Clint Bowyer

16 Brad Keselowski

17 Marcos Ambrose

18 Carl Edwards

19 Mark Martin

20 Travis Kvapil

21 Aric Almirola

22 Casey Mears

23 Martin Truex Jr.

24 David Gilliland

25 Matt Kenseth

26 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

27 Bobby Labonte

28 David Stremme

29 Danica Patrick

30 Paul Menard

31 Dave Blaney

32 David Reutimann

33 A J Allmendinger

34 Josh Wise

35 Timmy Hill

36 Kasey Kahne

37 David Ragan

38 Landon Cassill

39 J.J. Yeley

40 Michael McDowell

41 Scott Riggs

42 Joe Nemechek

43 Jason Leffler

NASCAR will be racing at Jeff Gordon's favorite track...and the track where Dale Jr has gotten his last two wins...Michigan. :)

... today only reinforced my feelings as we saw more commercials than racing on TNT...

I have to admit that I only had half an eye on most of the race because it clashed with the Montreal Grand Prix, but it did feel like there were more commercial breaks than previous races. There were exactly the same number of commercial breaks during the grand prix as usual - none! :)

I was disappointed that Ricky seemed to lose about five places at each of the final cautions, but he did manage to beat (or should I say pass ;)) his girlfriend with about two laps to go.

I have to admit that I only had half an eye on most of the race because it clashed with the Montreal Grand Prix, but it did feel like there were more commercial breaks than previous races. There were exactly the same number of commercial breaks during the grand prix as usual - none! :)

I was disappointed that Ricky seemed to lose about five places at each of the final cautions, but he did manage to beat (or should I say pass ;)) his girlfriend with about two laps to go.

No commercials? That has got to be great...perhaps you should go tell that to TNT. Got frustrated with the commercials. Glad for no rain though.

Sorry about Ricky...he's still a rookie. Give him time. Not everyone is Jeff Gordon. ;)

Thanks for race results Garrett. I worked from 1:00 - 7:00 and didn't get to see a single lap.

This summer my nephew is marrying a girl whose last name is Gordon but she claims that she's NOT related to Jeff.

I looked closely at every one of the 200 people in that family picture and I'm pretty sure I didn't spot her in there so maybe she's telling the truth.

Sorry to hear you had to work Roger and missed the race. You are welcome about the race reports - I enjoy doing them.

Congrats to your nephew on getting married...though too bad she isn't related to Jeff Gordon.

Thanks Hoss for the movie poster...too funny. So when does it hit the movie theaters? Is Jeff Gordon REALLY in it? LOL Looks like a great movie! ;)

Hey, Garrett. It sounds like you enjoyed watching some men with sticks hit a ball around a field yesterday, but it doesn't excuse you from your NASCAR duties ;). Maybe it was seeing your drivers in 17th and 29th that put you off writing up the qualifying. I'm happy with Ricky's 15th, although it's a shame that Tony Stewart got in the middle to split up all the Juniors :).

Sunday's Quicken Loans 400 race at the Michigan International Speedway is at 01:00 PM ET, and will be on TNT.

1 Carl Edwards

2 Kurt Busch

3 Kasey Kahne

4 Paul Menard

5 Aric Almirola

6 Joey Logano

7 Austin Dillon

8 Matt Kenseth

9 Kyle Busch

10 Juan Pablo Montoya

11 Denny Hamlin

12 Dale Earnhardt Jr

13 Martin Truex Jr

14 Tony Stewart

15 Ricky Stenhouse Jr

16 Brad Keselowski

17 Jimmie Johnson

18 Jeff Burton

19 Greg Biffle

20 Bobby Labonte

21 Kevin Harvick

22 Mark Martin

23 Marcos Ambrose

24 Casey Mears

25 Trevor Bayne

26 David Gilliland

27 Clint Bowyer

28 Jamie McMurray

29 Jeff Gordon

30 Michael McDowell

31 David Ragan

32 AJ Allmendinger

33 David Reutimann

34 David Stremme

35 Ryan Newman

36 Dave Blaney

37 Danica Patrick

38 Josh Wise

39 Ken Schrader

40 J.J. Yeley

41 Travis Kvapil

42 Joe Nemechek

43 Mike Bliss

Thanks for posting this Hoss...but I didn't let the great game of baseball sidetrack me from doing my job. I was wanting to keep my tribute page up for Jason Leffler a bit longer for people to see. Starting position isn't as quite important as the finish position...but thanks for keeping us updated.

Well y'all, lap six and Bobby Labonte just wrecked Jeff Gordon into the wall. Gordon now out of the car and into the garage. Am sure y'all can guess who is not happy right now. Will probably be heading out for a while...which I wasn't going to do, but without Gordon in the race, well I might as well as go out. Will give my review on what I read after the race...

Well y'all, lap six and Bobby Labonte just wrecked Jeff Gordon into the wall. Gordon now out of the car and into the garage. Am sure y'all can guess who is not happy right now. Will probably be heading out for a while...which I wasn't going to do, but without Gordon in the race, well I might as well as go out. Will give my review on what I read after the race...

Well I got back home to watch the last thirty laps... did feel bad for leaving the race after Jeff Gordon's wreck, but with him ou tof the race, felt like I should go visit my grandparents. But have to say after what I have ehard and read...well this Hendrick Motor Sports fan did NOT miss any thing.

First, Bobby Labonte got loose and spun out in front of Jeff Gordon and wrecking Jeff Gordon into the wall. Gordon finished 39th today thanks to the wreck.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. got his last two wins at Michigan, didn't get one today as of what I read, did have the car up front but then had his engine blow.

Kasey Kahne had a dominant car when he got wrecked out of the race...think it was a tire.

And then there is Jimmie Johnson. When I turned it on, JJ was second and going after Greg Biffle who was leading. Only with four laps to go he hit the wall (may have been a tire) and I don't think he even finished the race.

After having to fight for first and coming home short last week at Pocono, Greg Biffle was able to hold onto the race and to win at Michigan today.

Here is the finishing order:

1. Greg Biffle

2. Kevin Harvick

3 Martin Truex Jr.

4 Kyle Busch

5 Tony Stewart

6 Matt Kenseth

7 Clint Bowyer

8 Carl Edwards

9 Joey Logano

10 Jeff Burton

11 Austin Dillon

12 Brad Keselowski

13 Danica Patrick

14 Paul Menard

15 Trevor Bayne

16 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

17 Aric Almirola

18 Ryan Newman

19 A J Allmendinger

20 Juan Pablo Montoya

21 Casey Mears

22 David Gilliland

23 Marcos Ambrose

24 J.J. Yeley

25 David Ragan

26 Mark Martin

27 Travis Kvapil

28 Jimmie Johnson

29 David Stremme

30 Denny Hamlin

31 Dave Blaney

32 David Reutimann

33 Jamie McMurray

34 Ken Schrader

35 Kurt Busch

36 Joe Nemechek

37 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

38 Kasey Kahne

39 Jeff Gordon

40 Josh Wise

41 Mike Bliss

42 Michael McDowell

43 Bobby Labonte

We are going road racing next week at Sonoma...

Kasey Kahne had a dominant car when he got wrecked out of the race...think it was a tire.

He hit the wall pretty hard and his car caught fire. He jumped out quickly before reaching in to pull the fire extinguisher.

It really was a bad day for HMS - Jimmie came home as top driver in 28th.

I was pleased to see Ricky running inside the top ten for a while, but he (and a couple of others) pitted just before Jamie McMurray's tire blew, so it put him out of sequence. I'd love a top ten finish before too long. :)

He hit the wall pretty hard and his car caught fire. He jumped out quickly before reaching in to pull the fire extinguisher.

It really was a bad day for HMS - Jimmie came home as top driver in 28th.

I was pleased to see Ricky running inside the top ten for a while, but he (and a couple of others) pitted just before Jamie McMurray's tire blew, so it put him out of sequence. I'd love a top ten finish before too long. :)

Thanks Hoss...I heard on Facebook that Kasey's wreck was pretty bad, but didn't hear how bad. Am so glad that he is OK. Sad day for all my Hendrick drivers. But am glad they are all OK.

Sad Jamie Mac had a tire blow too. :( Just a sad race all in all. Do like Biffle but rather have a Chevy up front.

Ricky's top ten will come sooner or later, Hoss. This is his first year in Sprint...give him some time. ;)

Thanks for the updates Garrett and Hoss.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Jason Leffler.

You are very welcome Roger. Feel like I failed this weekend and normally if something happens to Gordon, I watch for Johnson...or just to watch. But Gordon getting taken out on the sixth lap was frustrating...and figured it was time to get out to visit my grandparents. Did get back to watch the end of the race, but it didn't end any better than it had started. For me at least. Am sure there are other people just as happy with the end...but all that is racing. Am looking forward for some road racing at Sonoma next Sunday.

Very tragic about Jason Leffler. He seemed to have been a great guy, a great dad. Just so sad.

I don't normally get a chance to see the qualifying, but it worked out to be at a convenient time today, so I thought I'd check out the new format for road courses. In case y'all missed it in the Nascar News thread, the cars were split into groups of five or six based on practice times. Victor Gonzalez Jr hit the wall in the first group, bringing out a caution, and Martin Truex Jr had a small electrical fire causing a caution in his group. It didn't make much difference - nearly all the fastest times were set on the first lap, even though there was time for three or four.

As you can see, Jamie McMurray gets the pole. Jeff Gordon did well in his group, and was 4th for a while before slipping to 10th. I didn't see much of Ricky's lap, but he was slowest in his group and just slid down the table when the following groups went out. Fingers crossed that he can do something in the race, but it's more difficult to come from back there on a road course.

The complete starting lineup is:

1 Jamie McMurray

2 Marcos Ambrose

3 Carl Edwards

4 Greg Biffle

5 Clint Bowyer

6 Matt Kenseth

7 Kurt Busch

8 Joey Logano

9 Kyle Busch

10 Jeff Gordon

11 Tony Stewart

12 Kevin Harvick

13 Juan Pablo Montoya

14 Martin Truex Jr

15 Kasey Kahne

16 Paul Menard

17 Denny Hamlin

18 Brad Keselowski

19 Jimmie Johnson

20 Bobby Labonte

21 Casey Mears

22 Jacques Villeneuve

23 David Ragan

24 Boris Said

25 Ron Fellows

26 Dale Earnhardt Jr

27 Jeff Burton

28 David Stremme

29 David Gilliland

30 Ryan Newman

31 Danica Patrick

32 Aric Almirola

33 Travis Kvapil

35 Josh Wise

36 Justin Marks

37 Ricky Stenhouse Jr

38 David Reutimann

39 Alex Kennedy

40 Paulie Harraka

41 Tomy Drissi

42 Victor Gonzalez Jr

43 J.J. Yeley

The race is on tomorrow (Sunday) at 2.00 PM ET on TNT.

I don't normally get a chance to see the qualifying, but it worked out to be at a convenient time today, so I thought I'd check out the new format for road courses. In case y'all missed it in the Nascar News thread, the cars were split into groups of five or six based on practice times. Victor Gonzalez Jr hit the wall in the first group, bringing out a caution, and Martin Truex Jr had a small electrical fire causing a caution in his group. It didn't make much difference - nearly all the fastest times were set on the first lap, even though there was time for three or four.

As you can see, Jamie McMurray gets the pole. Jeff Gordon did well in his group, and was 4th for a while before slipping to 10th. I didn't see much of Ricky's lap, but he was slowest in his group and just slid down the table when the following groups went out. Fingers crossed that he can do something in the race, but it's more difficult to come from back there on a road course.

The race is on tomorrow (Sunday) at 2.00 PM ET on TNT.

So Hoss...does this mean I am fired? :roll: LOL :rofl:

It is interesting the different way they did it...did hear someone on Facebook or somewhere talk about group qualifying but didn't know what they meant by it. Thanks Hoss for keeping us updated. I didn't get a chance to watch qualifying and have been out all day.

On a side note...AJ Allmindinger won the Nationwide Series race at Road of America. Personally, I really hope that AJ will find a good Cup series ride soon...know he messed up last year, but at least he is big enough to know that too and take the proper steps to make it right. Am glad to see he won today in the Nationwide Series...

We will be making right turns tomorrow :D.

On a sad note we lost another race car driver as Allan Simonsen when he wrecked early on in the Lemans 24 hour race (the accident happened in the first hour of the race). Simonsen was only 34. :( Another sad day in racing...RIP Simonsen!

It is interesting the different way they did it...did hear someone on Facebook or somewhere talk about group qualifying but didn't know what they meant by it.

Well, if you'd read my post from yesterday in Nascar News you'd know all about the new qualifying format :).

On a sad note we lost another race car driver as Allan Simonsen when he wrecked early on in the Lemans 24 hour race (the accident happened in the first hour of the race). Simonsen was only 34. :( Another sad day in racing...RIP Simonsen!

I saw that earlier, and it's very sad. He was only 10 minutes into the race and his Aston Martin hit the barrier hard on the driver's side. The rest of the team are carrying on at the request of Allan's family. It's the first death at Le Mans since 1997.