2013 NASCAR race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Thanks for the lengthy review Garrett.

I was outside all day. This was the nicest day of the year so far up here in NW Pennsylvania so I couldn't resist working and having fun out there.

I'm glad to hear that Kurt Busch didn't get hurt. I was happy for you to see that JG finished third. Now I have to go check my NASCAR fantasy team. By looking at these results I don't think my picks worked out too good.

Thanks for the lengthy review Garrett.

I was outside all day. This was the nicest day of the year so far up here in NW Pennsylvania so I couldn't resist working and having fun out there.

I'm glad to hear that Kurt Busch didn't get hurt. I was happy for you to see that JG finished third. Now I have to go check my NASCAR fantasy team. By looking at these results I don't think my picks worked out too good.

Sorry Hoss that you will miss the first night race of the season...nothing like racing under the lights. :D Will keep you posted and updated as usual though.

Lizzy, that is just what DW said about the misunderstanding of the command. It could have been anything. Martin had a decent finish so it really didn't hurt him that bad. Though am sure it got them all upset at the time.

Roger - You are welcome. :) Love writing/talking NASCAR and this gives me an excuse or a reason to do so. Thank you for reading them.

Don't worry about your fantasy team...you are still beating me ;) then again, it doesn't take much to beat me seeing as how I am second to last. For now. :D

Am very excited about JG's finish...and his points. I now have hope for my #1 driver...now if only my fantasy team would take the turn for the better, I'd be happy. :D

Just to update the F1 pit stop info: at the last race in Malaysia, Red Bull managed to change all four of Mark Webber's tires in 2.05 seconds. The following video has commentary in German, but it's only 12 seconds long:

F1 2013 - Pit Stop Record at Malaysian GP by Red Bull and Webber

It took them a massive 2.13 seconds to change the tires of him team mate, Sebastian Vettel! I think they adjust the front wing too.

h5F1323DF

If you look just above the yellow nose of the car, you can just see the traffic lights which tell the driver when to go.

Well Hoss sorry to do this to you, but am stealing the show and turning it back to NASCAR. :D

Here is the qualifying order for SATURDAY NIGHT's NRA race at Texas:

1 Kyle Busch

2 Kurt Busch

3 Aric Almirola

4 Marcos Ambrose

5 Martin Truex Jr.

6 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

7 Jimmie Johnson

8 Jeff Gordon

9 Carl Edwards

10 Juan Pablo Montoya

11 Jamie McMurray

12 Austin Dillon

13 Tony Stewart

14 Kasey Kahne

15 Brian Vickers

16 Brad Keselowski

17 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

18 Joey Logano

19 Paul Menard

20 Jeff Burton

21 Matt Kenseth

22 Trevor Bayne

23 Mark Martin

24 Casey Mears

25 David Ragan

26 Clint Bowyer

27 David Gilliland

28 Dave Blaney

29 Kevin Harvick

30 Bobby Labonte

31 Ryan Newman

32 Travis Kvapil

33 David Stremme

34 Mike Bliss

35 Greg Biffle

36 J.J. Yeley

37 Michael McDowell

38 David Reutimann

39 Landon Cassill

40 Josh Wise

41 Joe Nemechek

42 Danica Patrick

43 Scott Speed

As I said this race will be held Saturday night on FOX...well at least I hope it will be on FOX.

With that said, I have some HORRORFYING news for y'all.

There is a US senator who in March had wrote to NASCAR CEO Brian France asking him to change the sposnorship of this Texas race -NRA (National Rifle Association.) NASCAR has decided to go on with the sponsorship with NRA as well as the traditional winner shooting in the air.

So the senator has now sent a letter to the company owning FOX (which airs the races) asking them not to air this Texas race due to NRA sponsoring the race. (So far, Fox has yet to say whether or not they will air the race.)

Well y'all, I am the least political person there is, but got to say the obvious...this has caught my attention. And I am not happy! I am not here to start a gun control debate or any other political debate, but this has gotten way out of hand!

NRA sponsoring tomorrow's race at Texas is not about politics. It's not about guns. Or gun control. It is a business deal between NASCAR, Texas Motor Speedway, and NRA to help this race happen, to take place. End of story.

NRA Sponsoring NASCAR Texas Race That is the article I got most of my information on as well as a small part of the senator's letter he had sent FOX.

I will let you know if they don't air the race...if so my review will rely on computer info and what not. Just the fact that they are trying to pull a race for some political purpose makes me upset...though do believe that the senator is probably doing himself more harm putting attention upon NRA sponsoring the race than if he didn't say nothing. My opinion - for what little it is worth.

I think I'll stay out of the gun debate too - I'm just glad they don't do background checks before you join HNet ;).

Good to see Ricky getting a better start this week.

Garrett, are you sure Scott Speed is starting 43rd? NASCAR.com has Timmy Hill in 43rd with both the Scotts failing to qualify.

Here is an updated qualifying list for tomorrow's race...my last one had Kenseth at a different place. Perhaps Yahoo isn't a good place to rely on. Use to go to NASCAR.com for all things NASCAR, but they have redone their site and it is easier to go to Yahoo than NASCAR...have to use Google Chrome for the new NASCAR site. :(. Anyway hopefully this will the starting order...thanks Hoss for pointing it out to me.

1 Kyle Busch

2 Kurt Busch

3 Aric Almirola

4 Marcos Ambrose

5 Martin Truex Jr.

6 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

7 Jimmie Johnson

8 Jeff Gordon

9 Carl Edwards

10 Juan Pablo Montoya

11 Jamie McMurray

12 Austin Dillon

13 Tony Stewart

14 Kasey Kahne

15 Brian Vickers

16 Brad Keselowski

17 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

18 Joey Logano

19 Paul Menard

20 Matt Kenseth

21 Jeff Burton

22 Trevor Bayne

23 Mark Martin

24 Casey Mears

25 David Ragan

26 Clint Bowyer

27 David Gilliland

28 Dave Blaney

29 Kevin Harvick

30 Bobby Labonte

31 Ryan Newman

32 Travis Kvapil

33 David Stremme

34 Mike Bliss

35 Greg Biffle

36 J.J. Yeley

37 Michael McDowell

38 David Reutimann

39 Landon Cassill

40 Josh Wise

41 Joe Nemechek

42 Danica Patrick

43 Timmy Hill

I really hope to get to watch tomorrow's race...I miss it due to some political issue, I will not be happy. As I said, NASCAR has NRA as it's sponsor as a business deal, nothing political nor guns. Will let you know if I find out either way...

Anyway hopefully this will the starting order...thanks Hoss for pointing it out to me.

You're welcome :). To be honest, I happened to look at the line-up just as the qualifying finished. and noticed that both of the drivers who missed out were called Scott (Speed and Riggs).

Thanks for the updates.

I just love that name...Scott Speed! What car number is he and who's his sponser?

Scott Speed drives the number 95 (did not qualify for this weekend's race) and races for Leavine Family Racing.

Do like his name too. He use to drive for Red Bull Racing with Brian Vickers before Red Bull left NASCAR...

Well the Texas race went on as scheduled on TV despite the scary letter that was sent to FOX and Brian France. I am grateful to watch the race, but don't think I would have missed much if I didn't get to watch it. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to watch it, just not a whole lot to write about.

Think most issues was with tires and engines. Ricky Stenhouse Jr caused a couple of cautions due to his tires going out. Dale Jr was doing good until his battery died and they had to manually switch the battery. Carl Edwards was fighting engine issues...and then his seat belt coming loose, and ended up coming home third!

Jeff Gordon had a good race...led some laps and ran in second or third place most of the race until 24 laps to go, he broke his hub or burnt his hub and he took it to the garage. :( This 24 fan is NOT happy at all right now. Very sad race.

Martin Truex Jr led a lot of laps today only to come home second to Kyle Busch...who also won Texas last night in the Nationwide Series race.

Here is the finishing order of the Texas race:

1 Kyle Busch

2 Martin Truex Jr.

3 Carl Edwards

4 Greg Biffle

5 Joey Logano

6 Jimmie Johnson

7 Aric Almirola

8 Brian Vickers

9 Brad Keselowski

10 Ryan Newman

11 Kasey Kahne

12 Matt Kenseth

13 Kevin Harvick

14 Mark Martin

15 Clint Bowyer

16 Jamie McMurray

17 Paul Menard

18 Trevor Bayne

19 Marcos Ambrose

20 Juan Pablo Montoya

21 Tony Stewart

22 Travis Kvapil

23 Jeff Burton

24 David Reutimann

25 Dave Blaney

26 David Ragan

27 David Stremme

28 Danica Patrick

29 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

30 Josh Wise

31 Casey Mears

32 David Gilliland

33 Austin Dillon

34 Landon Cassill

35 Joe Nemechek

36 Timmy Hill

37 Kurt Busch

38 Jeff Gordon

39 J.J. Yeley

40 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

41 Mike Bliss

42 Bobby Labonte

43 Michael McDowell

We will be in Kansas next weekend...

Thanks as always for the summary.

I watched a lot of the race and felt terrible for you Garrett when Jeff had his problem after doing so well. Hang in there buddy. The season's just getting started.

There sure was a lot of lead changes. I'm not sure what the average is for total number of lap leaders in a race but I bet this was way above average. Do you remember how many different drivers led at least one lap?

It sounds like the crew chiefs are going to have quite a challenge in Kansas.

Thanks as always for the summary.

I watched a lot of the race and felt terrible for you Garrett when Jeff had his problem after doing so well. Hang in there buddy. The season's just getting started.

There sure was a lot of lead changes. I'm not sure what the average is for total number of lap leaders in a race but I bet this was way above average. Do you remember how many different drivers led at least one lap?

It sounds like the crew chiefs are going to have quite a challenge in Kansas.

Thanks Roger for your encouragement. It was very disappointing and frustrating to see him run so good all race long and then have some problem at the end of the race to ruin it for him. :( Luckily we are early on in the season and hopefully he can recover from this.

I don't know about lead changes, but I will look it up for you. I do know your David Ragen led one lap because he was on my bench on Fantasy NASCAR. :D

Well thanks to Yahoo...Kyle Busch led 171 (I think the most) Martin Truex Jr led 142, and Jeff Gordon led 15. Logano, Gilliland, and Ragen led a lap. Ryan Newman led 3 laps.

Guess I didn't pay attention to the lead changes but there was quiet the few changes, huh?

Yeah the crew cheifs and crews will have their work cut out for them for Kansas next week...there was a lot of difficulties in pits today. Jr got caught speeding. Matt Kenseth dropped a lugnut that sparked and started a small fire in the pits while the crew was still there...the gas man or one of the crew members looked like his foot was on fire (though was fine) they were able to put it out pretty quick.

And then there is the parking in pit road. Like Juan Pablo Montoya trying to park in someone else's stall. Or Tony Stewart parking diagonal in his stall and didn't get penalized while McMurray and another driver did get penalized for having a tire out of the pit box (on the same pit stop!).

Once again, thanks Roger for the encouragment. :)

Sprint Cup has invaded Kansas this weekend...home track to Clint Bowyer.

Here is the starting line up for Sunday's race

1. (20) Matt Kenseth

2. (99) Carl Edwards

3. (17) Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

4. (12) Sam Hornish, Jr

5. (18) Kyle Busch

6. (43) Aric Almirola

7. (56) Martin Truex Jr.

8. (55) Mark Martin

9. (39) Ryan Newman

10. (15) Clint Bowyer

11. (16) Greg Biffle

12. (27) Paul Menard

13. (78) Kurt Busch

14. (1) Jamie McMurray

15. (9) Marcos Ambrose

16. (11) Brian Vickers

17. (29) Kevin Harvick

18. (14) Tony Stewart

19. (42) Juan Pablo Montoya

20. (31) Jeff Burton

21. (48) Jimmie Johnson

22. (22) Joey Logano

23. (88) Dale Earnhardt Jr.

24. (81) Elliott Sadler

25. (10) Danica Patrick

26. (34) David Ragan

27. (5) Kasey Kahne

28. (38) David Gilliland

29. (98) Michael McDowell

30. (13) Casey Mears

31. (83) David Reutimann

32. (93) Travis Kvapil

33. (2) Brad Keselowski

34. (47) Bobby Labonte

35. (19) Mike Bliss

36. (35) Josh Wise

37. (32) Timmy Hill

38. (30) David Stremme

39. (33) Landon Cassill

40. (36) JJ Yeley

41. (51) Regan Smith

42. (7) Dave Blaney

43. (24) Jeff Gordon

And in case y'all are wondering (y'all know you are, right? LOL) I am not very happy with how the starting line up looks...thanks to Gordon spinning out during qualifying :(. Ah well what matters is how you finish more than how you start...he can only move up. :D NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!!!!!!!!!!

It's going to be interesting to see how well Clint does. There's always a lot of pressure when you're trying to please the home crowd.

I was looking forward to going to the dirt track and watch the local NASCAR wannabees tonight but it rained too much earlier in the day and it was canceled due to track conditions.

And then there is the parking in pit road. Like Juan Pablo Montoya trying to park in someone else's stall. Or Tony Stewart parking diagonal in his stall and didn't get penalized while McMurray and another driver did get penalized for having a tire out of the pit box (on the same pit stop!).

Once again, thanks Roger for the encouragment. :)

As far as this goes it's all about the lines of your pit box. McMurray was touching the front line of his box and like you said another driver was penalized for having a tire outside of the pit box. According to Nascar rules all four tires must be inside the pit box. For the back and the side line no tire can be over it though like in Stewart's case the back part of the car can be. And for the front line of the box nothing can be touching the line. Any breaking of the rule is called pitting outside your box and you are penalized a lap.

(Sorry about not posting earlier didn't see this post until now)

I'm happy to see Ricky starting from third - I hope he's stays out of the wall this week :).

BTW. Tomorrow's race is on Fox at 1:00 PM ET.

Thanks Hoss for posting the time...I didn't have much time when I made the post and didn't have time to look that up. :( And while I am here...just want to let y'all know my review and points may be a few days late this week. Something has come up and will have to leave town right after the race is over, so I will be without a computer for a few days...guess I could make posts throughout the race? I don't know. Any way, I will try to write my review and the points as soon as I can this week. I am sorry for the delay. :(

Well as of right now we are on lap 107 of 267 at Kansas and Matt Kenseth has led all of the laps (except 1)...strong race for the 20 team!

Kyle Busch brought out the first caution on lap five as he spun out out on his own...and now he is in street clothes as they are under caution for him once again as he spun out, into the wall, and went dow on the apron where Joey Logano went to escape Kyle Busch...both cars hit head on. Scary wreck...Kyle drove down pit road in reverse.

Jeff Gordon now 15th as he started for the first time in his career dead last in 43...biggest gainer of the race. Woo hoo! LOL.

I'm surprised you're even paying attention to NASCAR Garrett. It looks like you're going to be battling for a first place trophy in fantasy hockey starting tomorrow so I thought you'd be working all day researching players and stats to see what kind of trades you'll be making. LOL just kidding (well, I'm not kidding about you making it to the hockey championship....but I am joking about you liking hockey more than NASCAR) Good luck in both.

I'm surprised you're even paying attention to NASCAR Garrett. It looks like you're going to be battling for a first place trophy in fantasy hockey starting tomorrow so I thought you'd be working all day researching players and stats to see what kind of trades you'll be making. LOL just kidding (well, I'm not kidding about you making it to the hockey championship....but I am joking about you liking hockey more than NASCAR) Good luck in both.

You mean I actually have a chance to win fantasy hockey? That would be the first time I won fantasy since my first Fantasy season which was NASCAR a few years back...which was of me and two other guys. :) Fingers crossed...will have to go check on it. I am doing horrible in NASCAR fantasy this year...this week doesn't look very promising either as I have been following my drivers...somewhat. Ah well. a championship in hockey will make my day. :D....talking of which Brian Vickers (driving for Hamlin in the 11 car) has just spun out. He is on my fantasy team! :(

Well as of right now we are on lap 107 of 267 at Kansas and Matt Kenseth has led all of the laps (except 1)...strong race for the 20 team!

Kyle Busch brought out the first caution on lap five as he spun out out on his own...and now he is in street clothes as they are under caution for him once again as he spun out, into the wall, and went dow on the apron where Joey Logano went to escape Kyle Busch...both cars hit head on. Scary wreck...Kyle drove down pit road in reverse.

Jeff Gordon now 15th as he started for the first time in his career dead last in 43...biggest gainer of the race. Woo hoo! LOL.

Sorry for the lack of my review this afternoon, but as soon as the race is over, I am out the door. So this will be my final post of the day...

We got twenty laps to go and Matt Kenseth is still leading with Kasey Kahne and Jimmie Johnson following him. Biggest incident of the race was the Kyle Busch and Joey Logano wreck...all other accidents has been single car spinning out or what not.

I will write the finishing order and the points as soon as I get back. :)

First of all, thank you Roger for stating who won the race...I turned the computer off a few laps short to let it my lap top cool down before leaving. Feel like a horrible NASCAR reporter this week...shame on me!

Well y'all...I really don't know where to start. I came on here to post the finishing order and the standings, but have just read about some MAJOR penalities. So I guess I will get to the finishing order first, followed by the standings, and then the penalities. May be a long post, please hang in there. :D

FINISHING ORDER FOR THE KANSAS STP RACE (top ten finishing spots)

1 Matt Kenseth

2 Kasey Kahne

3 Jimmie Johnson

4 Martin Truex Jr.

5 Clint Bowyer

6 Brad Keselowski

7 Jamie McMurray

8 Aric Almirola

9 Mark Martin

10 Paul Menard

TOP TWELVE STANDING POINTS

1 - Jimmie Johnson

2 +5 Kasey Kahne

3 +1 Brad Keselowski

4 -1 Greg Biffle

5 - Dale Earnhardt Jr.

6 -1 Carl Edwards

7 -5 Kyle Busch

8 - Clint Bowyer

9 - Paul Menard

10 +2 Jamie McMurray

wc 11 - Kevin Harvick

12 +1 Aric Almirola

(Sorry for the finishing order and official points after the Kansas race...I thought with the news I just read about I should probably shorten it to keep people's attention. If you want the rest of the line ups for both, let me know and I will post it...)

First off for the news...Denny Hamlin was expected or thought he had a fifty-fifty chance to make it to Richmond's race this Saturday night -his home track. Which would have been an early return date as to what was expected...well he didn't get cleared by his doctor to race, so once again he will be watching the race or at least not in his 11 car.

But the MAJOR news I had mentioned earlier is this....

Matt Kenseth who had gained the ultimate points in a race on Sunday by getting the pole, leading the most laps, and winning the race has just got penalized...BIG time. After every race NASCAR takes back two cars to do a thorough inspection of the car...the winner's car and a random car. Well Kenseth won so they took his car and someone else's car back to the shop and well, they found parts on his engine not meeting NASCAR's standards. So NASCAR has fined Matt Kensth of 50 championship points, he will not get the bonus points that come with a win come Chase time nor will it help him earn any wild card position, plus his pole position will not earn him a spot in next year's Sprint Unlimited race. His crew cheif has been suspended for six races (plus the All Star race next month) fined $200,000. His car owner Joe Gibbs has been docked 50 car owner championship points. Also read where Gibbs has had his car lisence for the number 20 (Kenseth's car) suspended for 6 races and won't be able to earn championship car owner points during those six point races. (Never heard of them doing that before...)

Matt Kensth's penalty That is where I got my info on Matt Kenseth if you are interested in reading up on it...

(My opinion is....I was first shocked to see Kenseth get fined. Am definately not a Kenseth fan, but he is a pretty clean driver (except for the time where he spun Gordon out on the last lap at Bristol....) and isn't known to get penalized. And second of all...wow...surprised that NASCAR has slapped him with such a HUGE fine as this. Or his crew cheif and his car owner. As I said, I am not a Kenseth fan, but do have to say I think NASCAR went overboard on the fining here. If this was Gordon, Johnson, Jr, or Kahne that got hit this hard, I'd be hot with anger right now. I do understand that NASCAR is SUPER sensitive about their new car (as they were with the car of tomorrow - their last car when it had came out) but really? Ah well, I guess...for me I'll be glad this is outside of the Hendrick camp but do believe this is a bit harsh on the 20 team. As I said, all this part is of my opinion, and my opinion only. For how little that is worth...)

Both Penske drivers (Keselowski and Logano) who had NASCAR taking their rear housing away and having to get new ones on before the race a couple of weeks ago has forced NASCAR to set the penalties they handed them for their wrong doings aside as they are going to appeal the penalties on May 1st. Will keep you posted or updated on what comes out of that...

Hopefully the rest of the NASCAR field that has yet to be hit with fines will make sure to learn from Kenseth's and both Penske drivers' penalties and know they have to cross their t's and dot their i's with this car. NASCAR is no nonsense with this new Gen6 car...as they had been with the Car of Tomorrow -Gen5 car.

We will be going night racing this Saturday night at Richmond...can't wait for some racing under the lights! Will make sure to do a better job at my review this week...sorry I was unable to write a full review as I normally do. :(